Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - [FIC] Into the Lair of the Ice Maiden

Rorx

Jim stood and paused in front of the Aoyama Dojo, the scroll in his left hand clutched tightly, as though to ward off some terrible fate to come. With a deep breath, he relaxed his grip, shrugged his shoulders to settle his backpack of kendo gear and his katana better upon his back, and approached the door. In the traditional manner he clapped to alert those who may be on the inside of the paper and wooden frame door of his presence and waited to see what would happen next.

While he waited he reviewed the events of the previous night and morning. First was the still unclear events of stumbling upon a real life Oni intent upon raping a woman while he was on the way home from the range, and the sudden revelation of previously unknown powers in the katana that his grandfather had given him for his 18th birthday only a few months ago. He had ended up spending several hours last night and into the early hours of this morning examining the blade and all its fittings as though he had never seen them before. The sheath was lacquered a plain black, as were the rest of the fittings. Remarkably he could find no marks upon the blade itself either. No tempering marks, no fold lines, nothing, except a makers mark on the tang and that was simply the mon of his grandfathers clan, the Hasagei. This morning he had approached his Grandfather, Masaki Hasagei, and requested any information he might have of the blade, but little was forth coming. Originally part of a dai-sho made a thousand years ago by the founder of the clan, a master swordsmith, the wakizashi was thought to have been lost in battle in the wars of the many daimyo's. He was aware of the lack of marks upon the blade and that was part of the reason that he had given the blade to Jim, the other being that as a lone katana it was considered a lesser piece, despite it's age, to the majority of people who didn't have the skill or knowledge to appreciate it. That part of the talk with his grandfather Jim considered to have gone as planned, but what followed did not. It was then than Masaki had raised a point that had come up before, namely Jim's, or James as his grandfather insisted on calling him, ability with the blade. Having only been really working on his kenjutsu since he arrived in Japan about 4 months before he was no master, but Masaki still felt that James had learnt most of what he could teach, and so was determined that he should learn from the family of a old acquantaince who were masters of the blade. Thus a few hours later Jim found himself outside the Aoyama Dojo, with a scroll of introduction addressed to the Father of the current head teacher. Unfortunately for Jim, or so he thought of it, this was addressed to the man who was also the Grandfather of Kaori Aoyama, another student at his school. However, few male students, if any, felt comfortable in her presence through a combination of her stunning looks and antagonistic attitude to all males. That wasn't quite fair to her Jim thought, she was always correctly polite to any who were polite to her, but you always felt that it was reluctantly were males were concerned. Another problem for Jim in his current position was that she was also higly proficient at kendo, probably the top of the club at school, and so easily likely to show up his lack of ability if they were paired at all here at the dojo.

At this point the doors to the dojo opened, and after explaining his reason for calling upon them to a junior classman of the dojo he was led through into the presence of Kaori's grandfather, Master Aoyama himself.

Hikaru Aoyama, Grandfather of Kaori Aoyama, and Grand Master of the Ryouichi-Ryuu sword techniques sat quietly and patiently. As the door slid open James was permitted entery into the heart of the Aoyama Dojo.

The room was large and set up in very simple design with high a ceiling that exposed the lacquered supports, a dark hardwood floor and a spacious 'mat' that occupied the most of the center. It was really noting more than a slightly padded area that did little to prevent bruises or other injuries but absorbed shock quite well.

He was dressed in typical attire appropriate to his station withing the dojo: a black kendogi and red hakama with a blue mountain peak shadowing a cherry tree. This marked him as the highest attainable rank within the Dojo, which did not officially recognise him as a Grand Master, since the Aoyama sword technique, the Ryouichi-Ryuu or Clarity of the Unified Dragon, was not taught to any non-members of the Aoyama bloodline.

"James McAllister." His voice was weathered and certainly sounded like every wise old sage he'd ever seen in those martial arts flicks back in the states. "'ve been told you've something for me. Come boy, don't doddle." He waved Jim into the room, holding out his hand to accept the scroll.

Following what he had been taught in his other martial arts styles, Jim bowed to the old man from the doorway. Leaving his bag inside the door he took his katana and put it through his belt in the correct manner before proceeding across the room and kneeling in front of him, bowing again as he presented the scroll to Master Aoyama.

"A letter from my grandfather Master Aoyama."

Jim bows again, an remembers to keep his eye down as he replies, in perfect Japanese.

"Hai, Master Aoyama. I have been learning several martial arts for a number of years now, but it was only when I came to live here in Japan 4 months ago that I was able to seriously start my studies in the Way of the Sword. My Grandfather feels that he has taught me all that he is able to, his skill lying in making the blades rather than their use, and so he has sent me to your dojo the best that he knows of."

"Normally I would not accept a student as old as yourself," His voice matter-of-fact. "However, as a personal favor to your grandfather, I will at least give you consideration."

He clapped his hands and the door slid open. A student of the school, the one who had led James to see Master Aoyama, bowed and awaited his instructions. "Inform my granddaughter that we wish to see her, please."

The student swallowed hard as worry and fear gripped his posture. "K-Kaori Master? B-but..."

Master Aoyama chuckled. He found it funny that every student feared her when to him she was the sweetest and most adorable granddaughter an old man could ask for. "Mind your manners, your eyes, and your hands, and I think you'll be fine. Go now."

The door slid shut and they could both hear the students feet tapping on the hardwood floors.

"Tell me, James. Why do you wish to learn The Way?" The Master's question was sudden while James's mind was still focused on the student thudding down the corridor.

Jim barely heard Master Aoyama's question, he was so focussed on the impending problem of facing Kaori. With an almost visible shift in gears he answered the old man as best and as truthfully as he could.

"The Way of the Sword is key to the Bushido, and without such codes man all too readily begins to act little better than animals. The medieval knights had their chivalry, which faialed them in the atrocities of the crusades, and the Confusician ideal of the superior man was laid waste by the rise of the Communists. Having seen on the news and heard from my father of the horrors perpetrated by men in the name of various causes I feel that I at least will hold myself to a higher standard. To be a man rather than a two-legged animal. And thus I dedicate my life to the warrior arts of death, life and honour. As an example amongst the arts I am studying I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to learn Koppojustu under Master Hatsumi, for which he also insists, and rightly so, that we learn the art of bone setting to the same degree."

"So Master Aoyama, I do not seek to learn the Way of the Sword purely for itself, but as part of the greater whole to which I have dedicated my life. If I can keep to my goal the journey will last me to my inevitable death, I only hope that the life along the way will be one of purpose and honour."

During his impromptu speech he had focussed his attention on the Master before him and at it's end he suddenly became aware that Kaori had arrived at some point during it. Jim carefully kept himself focussed on looking at the Master and his ears seeking any sounds from behind him as his thoughts briefly ran in more turmoil.

Damn, now I'm for it. I just hope she doesn't go telling everyone around school what a jerk I just made myself appear. Oh, well, what's done is done, and I won't back down on the path I've decided upon. What sort of wretch would I be if I gave up in the face of some useless spoiled kids? And with that thought he recentred himself.

Master Aoyama's closed tightly at the utterance of 'Bushido' when he saw his granddaughter silently step into the room.

Kaori stepped in, her attire identical to that of her grandfathers': a black kednogi with red hakama. At her side was a katana, not he precious Onimaru but a well crafted blade that she had used her entire life even before receiving the gift of the shadow forged sword. It was the common lacquered wood finished scabbard that went to a grip that was exactly the same. There was no pommel to protect her hands and all in all appeared to be nothing more than a curved lacquered piece of wood. Anyone who knew anything about swords, especially katanas, knew that within the unassuming scabbard his a deadly blade.

"Key to the Bushido?" she said softly, her voice was calm and its sweet melody seemed to add something to the room that was missing. "The Bushido was the code of the Samurai. Do, meaning the way, and Bushi a gender specific masculine term."

She stepped up to where James and her grandfather knelt on the floor. "We do not discriminate at this dojo, James McAllister. If you wish to learn The Way of Men, you will do elsewhere. Here, we teach The Way of the Sword."

She looked down on him from where she stood. She managed to play up her role rather well. It was not uncommon for her to be called upon to judge new students, but never had she been asked to do it in the family's personal dojo.

"James here has requested to learn our ways, Kaori." Master Aoyama gestured politely to James sitting across from him. "I have decided to accept him, and was hoping you'd be willing to help me assess his skills for proper placement among the other students."

Shock, maybe even fear, spread across Kaori's face as her grandfather's words sunk in. She recalled her dream with James McAllister, the lecherous and sexy (and oh was he sexy...) Vampire Lord of Kumano Forest. She could almost feel again the way he held, the sounds of his charming voice, the kiss that nearly happened that her dream-self wanted so badly.

"Grandfather! No!" she blurted out rather suddenly and in a tone that was laced with apprehension, fear, and were it not her grandfather, some would consider disrespectful. Quickly she composed herself, her cheeks flushed with crimson. "I-I... I mean..." She was stuttering, James McAllister had just witnessed Kaori Aoyama completely void of composure (and had lived to tell the tale). "I mean he is too old and his mind already poisoned by a code of honor that is not his own. He is not a viable candidate for the Aoyama Dojo."

She looked to her grandfather, who in turn looked back at her. She looked worried, very worried, and with a hopeful request simply uttered: "Right?" As if he was going to confirm everything she just said.

"Wrong." He said, his face twisting into a devilish grin. "Spar with him. I wish to see what he knows and what he doesn't."

"As you say Grandfather." Kaori bowed, defeated, and went to take her place upon the mat so the match could begin. She glared at James with a look that could melt ice and freeze water all at once.

James had the sinking feeling she hated him, poor guy just had no idea why.

Jim took a deep breath while Kaori had her rant and centred his Ki, his face dropping into an impassive mask both to hide his reaction to her comments and in preparation for the inevitable contest to come.

Typical, I give this big long speech mainly about the need for honour and she comes up with some odd intrepration of Bushi and starts on a anti-male rant, before changing to being racist instead - 'already poisoned by a code of honour that is not his own'. Our clan is as old as her own! I guess she never bothered to find out anything about my family, although I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Hmm that last bit seemed more anti-me than generically anti-male. I wonder what she thinks I've done in particular, oh well. Perhaps her Ki will remain disturbed during the fight, it might give me slim chance of not being wiped out unreasonably quickly. Mind you I hope she doesn't decide to just slice me up instead. I suppose I better ask about the weapons to be used.

Moving smoothly to his feet, without using his hands, Jim bowed again to Master Aoyama.

"On behalf of my grandfather, Master Hasaki, I thank you for accepting me as one of your dojo's students Master Aoyama. I simply hope I am able to do both his teaching and your expectation justice. May I ask what weapons you would like us to use for this trial? I have brought my own shinai, bo-ken and katana with me just in case."

Kaori felt her cheeks redden again as she realised that James was related to a Master swordsmith, but even she couldn't tell what combination of anger, shame and embarrassment was behind it,

"We shall use the katana." Kaori said flatly. "If you wish to not use your own personal weapon, I understand this, and we can provide one for you."

She knew he'd use his own, and a fine blade it was, that was for certain. She was impressed inwardly, but she'd dare not show that for a moment on the outside. "We have many student here who quickly learn that no matter fine a blade you bring with you it's powerless unless its wielder knows how to use it."

When James took his place across from her, Kaori stood tall with one hand on her sash where her katana rest upon her hip. With no expression her face she looked at the gaijin and simply said, "You may attack me when you are ready."

"Oh, I'm happy to use my own blade Sempai Kaori, it was a recent birthday present from my grandfather. Just an old thing he had knocking around that he felt a poor gaijin might barely become worthy of."

Jim felt a little bad for taunting her over it, but then it was traditional, and he needed any advantage he could get against her obvious iaijutsu skills.

He bowed the correct amount, drew his sword and adopted the traditional basic stance, and after counting to 7, attacks with a vertical cut to the head.As he expected Kaori draws and gets her first attack in before he can complete his first attack. He desperately tries to drop his blade to block her attack.

The arc of his blade was predictable and Kaori barely exerted any effort as she weaved to the side. There was a flash of steel and his blade was swiftly batted aside exposing his weak defenses.

Click to reveal.. (Attack Info)
Attack #1 - Roll(2d6)+0:2,5,+7 Total:14 Hit! 28 Damage), Attack #2 - Roll(2d6)+0:1,5,+7 Total:13 (Hit! 28 Damage)

In an instant her blade launched past his own and he found the flat back of the blade slamming into his abdomen as she shot past him, spinning around to appear behind him with her blunt edge of her blade resting on his shoulder beside his neck.

She withdrew her weapon and allowed him to regain his stance while she took one of her own.

His taunts seemed to do nothing, in fact his gender seemed to mean nothing as well. Kaori appeared to be completely lost in the meditation of The Way.

Well that's about what I expected to happen. Seconds out, round two...

This time he attacked as soon as they had taken their stances. A horizontal cut at her neck, which he dropped to her abdomen as her parry moved up into position by dropping almost to one knee.

Without a change in expression, he returns to his stance.

As he returned to his stance she was already on him. Like a blur their blades clashed for every attack a parry, for every parry an attack. Like two master sword... persons, they clashed in the center of the mat.

But Kaori was the faster of the two. As she picked up the tempo James quickly found himself unable to keep up and before he knew it his blade soared up and out of his hands.

The point of her blade rested casually at the nape of his neck and his sword fell back to the floor landing perfectly in Kaori's grip. Without hesitation she flipped it around and handed it back to him, lowering her own weapon as she did so.

"Well done, both of you." Master Aoyama clapped gleefully. He enjoyed the sight of students honorably expressing their potential. "Well Kaori, my dear, what say you now? I leave his fate in you hands. Is he Aoyama material?"

Yep, he was dead. There was no way the battle hardened, man hating, James despising Kaori Aoyama would ever accept him into their dojo and James knew it.

"His technique is poor. He acts instead of reacts." She looked him over with a disgust filled stare. "Plus, he is too old. He lacks everything that viable candidate to the Aoyama Dojo is expected to have.

Her heart was racing and her cheeks were flushed. She blamed it on the combat but there was something more behind her red-brown eyes. She hadn't had that much fun in a long time.

"Well, my Granddaughter seems to think-"

"He'll take some work Grandfather." She said before he had the chance to finish his statement. She looked back to James and... grinned?!? "But every soul has potential. If he is willing to learn, we should honor him with the willingness to teach."

Sheathing his sword, he bowed first to Kaori and then to her grandfather.

"Domo, Sempai Kaori. Except for my classes with Master Hatsumi I will move any of my other activities to accomodate the times you wish me to attend class here."

Well, that's a bit of a surprise, but at least I'll get a decent set of teachers here, even if one of them is Kaori.

Master Aoyama chuckled. "There will be time for that later, boy. Come, let us get some tea and a snack. Watching other people exercise certainly makes me hungry."

He gave Kaori an odd look and she could feel him looking in her direction. Deep within his soul Master Aoyamaa was proud of his granddaughter. She was right, under the circumstances James should never have been allowed to join the classes at the dojo, but he'd given Kaori an important test and she had passed it.

She looked at James as a person willing to learn and determined to simply be a good man made better by his art. He'd chosen a cause to fight for, while Kaori was simply content being confused school girl. But this day was different, Master Aoyama knew, because Kaori had chose the student not with her eyes, but with her heart.

There was much more to teach, but she had passed today's lesson.

Archived