World of Darkness: Attrition - The First Test: Cunning [Complete]

Dawn OOC

Sarah reached the bottom of the cliff to find Declan in tense conversation with a semi-circle of the Blood Talons... some of which were looking at her with a look that bespoke violence to come. And she could imagine why; the sand and stone they had staked out as their own was now under her boots.

Before taking so much as a single step farther, she called out in a careful voice, "Sorry for the intrusion, but I figured it'd be worse for me to shout down from the cliff top. Sarah O'Neally, Dead Wolf, currently without pack. Was just hoping to ask some questions."

There were a few dark snarls at the word 'pack' coming out of Sarah's mouth, and someone in the dark popped their knuckles loudly and clearly. "Stay there," the woman snarled to Sarah before walking back toward where Dec and Julio were talking. "Julio, is the sucker with him or not?"

"Hang on, Slash," Julio said easily, though the situation was anything but easy. "I'm finding out. Dec, are you saying that the Topangas sent a vampire to spy on us?"

"Yeah, something like that." Declan growled, clearly not happy with the situation any more than the other Blood Talons. "They must'a had themselves some good yucks over that. Seriously, I reckon they expected her to get dusted. That's if they knew who you guys were and were just pretendin' not to so she'd do it."

"On the other hand, if they didn't know you guys then their concerns were legit, in their eyes at least." Owns-The-Night, werewolf diplomat extraordinaire, shrugged. "All I know is that Sarah's solid. She ain't a typical leech: doesn't have hardly anything to do with them. I consider her a friend, and would trust her with my life." He paused as if remembering something. "Again, that is."

Sarah looked around at the angry werewolves, and knew things were at a crux. She also knew that whatever she said now could either have her walk away from here with her hide intact, or wind up as ashes scattered on the wind.

Begging wouldn't do a damned bit of good; no Talon would see honor in that. An act of bravado wasn't going to do a lot better; they'd laugh at the "dead runt" and put her down.

With Luna's face half-full above, she swallowed and tried a different tack.

"I do have news from my scouting. The Death Weaver pack is gone. From what I was able to find - including from their totem, Weave - they were attacked by humans using some kind of magic. They tried to negotiate, and when that failed, they killed one to show they were serious, but the humans came back and overwhelmed them.

"I got hold of a lone wolf from up north to keep an eye on their locus and try to keep some of the worse problems in check; some pretty bad rat-spirits trying to horn in on the place. And I gave the Death Weavers their pyre, so they could leave with honor."

Click to reveal..
OK, going for a Wits + Empathy try here, to say something that would hit them right.

First step, spending a vitae to add her Sublunario points to her Wits + Empathy pool (now 6), as we're in the Half Moon.

Second step, rolling her Sublunario dots for even more punch to her Empathy:

(17:37:14) ChatBot: (Sarah_O'Neally) rolls 2d10 and gets 8,7.

One success, bringing her pool to 7.

Finally, spending a Willpower for +3, for a pool of 10. Then rolling:

(17:38:13) ChatBot: (Sarah_O'Neally) rolls 9d10 and gets 6,7,5,2,2,2,7,1,8.

Oops, forgot a die:

(17:40:08) ChatBot: (Sarah_O'Neally) rolls 1d10 and gets 3.

All that for one success. But it's still one success. smile

Slash snorted, her blue eyes staring at Declan. When she glanced at Julio, he gave a one-shouldered shrug. "Your call, boss," he said simply.

"Fine," Shash growled. "We're done tonight, so she can stay as long as he does. But after that, I want her gone, and next time she wants to visit, she can go to Tahiti." Turning, the Uratha walked back to the fire, calling the other Uratha to join her.

"Slash, she's got info about the Death Weavers," one of the werewolves watching Sarah called.

Slash joined them and heard the news. "We knew about the humans - we spoke with the former totem. But now we know someone's taking care of it, and who burned the place."

Owns-The-Night nodded his head in acceptance to Slash's conditions and moved to follow as the pack went toward the fire. Instinctively deferring to the residents out of politeness, he squatted back on his haunches and swept his gaze around the group. He was here not as an alpha or a warrior so much as to learn, and his focus dictated his actions neatly. He listened quietly as Sarah told what happened to the Death Weavers, then spoke as he looked into the fire, it's light dancing in the silver of his gaze.

"I've got a lot of questions. Now I know that don't mean I get the answers, but if you would answer them, I'd be grateful. You're the first Blood Talons I've met since Julio helped me out last year." He took a deep breath. "Now he did a good job in showin' me the ropes, but I wasn't the best student then. I'm ready to learn now. More than that, I think I need to learn more about my tribe." He glanced at Slash.

"I know the stories about Mother and Father, and the Destroyer-Wolf being our ancestor. But I don't know about Garm. Who is he.. or she? And why are they important to the Talons? That song... It felt like I should know it, but I'd never heard it before."

For her part, Sarah took up a position not quite so close to the fire, a little behind and to the side of Declan. Settling into a ready crouch, she looked to the hypnotic flickering of the bonfire.

Fire was a source of well-founded fear in vampires; their undead bodies would catch and burn like dried kindling. And even if she was so dangerously inclined, building a fire was something that she couldn't do back at her territory. The bit of open ground and trees she was calling home was, in theory, the property of the City of Los Angeles; building a campfire in the middle of Holmby Park struck her as a dandy way to bring police and other problems within minutes. But there was something altogether comforting about the flame - from a safe distance, of course. It was a reminder of the few good times with her old family, of those times when she was at least an adjunct part of the pack, if only for things far from the core of their existance.

With her eyes held by the deadly magic of the fire, Sarah listened to the words of her would-be kin.

Julio grinned when Declan started talking; it was the grin that an adult got when a child stopped accepting simple answers and started to really question the world around them. But that grin became more serious when Declan mentioned his familiarity with the song and with Garm.

Julio shifted to Dalu and switched to First Tongue. <Father Wolf and Mother Luna had the first children, which you know about,> Julio said, settling himself back. Suddenly he stopped and said in English, "Hell, I should let Maria tell this."

A slim Hispanic woman with dark eyes grinned. "Rahus should never be Cahaliths," she said with a musical laugh.

Slash cleared her throat and darted her eyes at Sarah. <Watch what you say, Blood-Dancer,> Slash growled. <It listens.>

"Sarah knows about the auspices and the tribes," Declan added in English. "She's already got a good bit of knowledge."

<Learning about the tribes and learning about the Lodge of Garm are two different things,> Slash said in First Tongue. She glanced at Maria. <Besides, First Tongue is purer.>

Maria nodded. <I am Maria Blood-Dancer. I am of the Cliffs by the Sea pack, and together, we are the Lodge of Garm,> Maria said, her voice taking on the rhyhtm of story-telling. <We are the Brothers and Sisters of a God-killer.

<Once, in the time of Pangaea, two great wolves entered the lives and stories of the era’s human tribes. These brother wolves watched over the realm of the dead, and were fated to play a vicious part in the war at the end of all things. Over the millennia since the Fall, the legend of Garm took root in Norse mythology of all places. There he was called a hound, a mongrel dog, yet still a guardian of the Underworld, prophesied to kill a god when the world is unmade.

<But we, the Garmir, know different.> Maria paused and smiled, her face lighting up with joy and pride.

<The world has already been unmade once, when the Shadow tore free of the physical world and the Uratha became Forsaken. Garm-Ur, son of Fenris the Destroyer, has already fulfilled the vague prophecies spoken of his destiny. He slaughtered a god when the world was shattered, and drank the blood of a fallen deity.

<As Father Wolf weakened over time, spirits punctured wounds in the physical realm and set up petty kingdoms. Here it came to be that the twin sons of Destroyer Wolf came to war with each other. Cerberus would not abandon his tribes to the spirits as the world sickened. Garm believed his sibling to be sadly misguided, and took the hunt to the haven of his enemy. Here, as the world finally crumbled and split, the son of the Destroyer killed his prey: a god of ills, a progenitor of shartha.

<Such is the fury and fervor of Garm of the Secondborn. Even Father Wolf and the Firstborn pack had to band together to slay the Plague King and Grandmother Spinner. Garm the God-Killer claims his victory alone — success through dedication, duty and unyielding strength.

<When our fathers came to him in a time long past, he answered their call without hesitation. There were no tests of worthiness to be met, for the werewolves were already proven worthy. They were the children of Fenris-Ur, just as Garm himself. The werewolves were Garm’s adopted brothers: Blood Talons. That was all the great son of the Destroyer needed.>

Maria stopped and tilted her head back. She let out a howl of approval that was clearly human, yet undeniably more. The others joined her, their human throats making a poor imitation of a wolf's howl. And yet it was powerful and moving still. <And that is the story of the Lodge of Garm.>

<To be of Garm is to be powerful in battle,> Julio said. <It is to be perfect in battle.>

The last words Sarah heard in English were Declan's, and it quickly became obvious that everything past that would be in the indecipherable, magical tones of the First Tongue. As she always did, Sarah tried - desperately, almost feverishly - to grab hold of the sounds, to try to intuit their meaning, to remember them... but this was no normal language, and the sounds slipped from her mind like the water washing up onto the shore.

In time, she mentally sighed, deciding to settle in for a long and boring night. With the warm fire crackling, the murmering sounds of First Tongue in her ears, and Declan close at hand, she did what seemed the natural thing to do: shifted smoothly and silently into her lupine form and curled up in submissive fashion by his side. Then, the Blood Talons let out a collective howl that somehow called to her very soul, and - just for a moment - the boredom didn't matter quite so much anymore. She was here, and listening to howls beneath Luna's gaze, and that was enough.

He listened, the shaggy head of his Dalu shape cocked to one side, as the Cahalith told the tale. Declan Owns-The-Night's heart soared as Maria's beautiful voice wove glory, honor and valor into her words, making the story live as only a heartfelt truth could. The First Tongue was perfectly suited to this, the primal savage beauty of the guttural language something only Uratha could fully appreciate. He felt sorry for Sarah in that moment, wishing that she could share in this tale, but the restrictions were plain: until they themselves trusted the Dead Wolf with the tale, he would not speak of it to her.

The Rahu dropped a friendly hand onto the undead shoulder curled up beside him, letting it rest there in a familiar and comforting fashion as Maria Blood-Dancer finished her tale. When the pack howled their approval, he raised his voice with theirs, a deep-throated outcry which blended seamlessly with the general paean.

<I see.> He told Julio, and looked around the pack. To be perfect in battle! <I... I want that. Want to be perfect in battle.> He looked down for a moment, a gesture that was as much reflection as shame. His voice was low as he continued. <Since my Change, I have striven to be a warrior of the People. But I have made mistakes. Grave errors that have led to my near-death on one occasion and, on another, almost broke the Code and let the Herd know of us. I have not been thinking enough before acting, and not acting correctly as a result. I know this now, though my pride at the time drove apart a nascent pack, all of us newly changed.> His gaze rose from the fire, accepting the looks of the others. <I spent some time alone, in the mountains of my birth, dwelling on my shortcomings. I came to realise that I have never lacked for bravery, or heart for the fight.> He smiled wryly. <I lacked the perfect blending of thought and instinct which makes a true warrior.>

He looked around the circle. <I want to be of Garm. I want to be perfect in battle. I do not know if I am worthy of that goal. But it shall be what I strive for.>

<Hm, really?> Julio asked with a chuckle; clearly, the idea had occurred to him before. <Well, you'll have to prove your worth. We're not going to set you to a task or require you to complete a quest. No, you just go about your life, and live it as you do, and you'll get an answer from us in time.>

"Now that that is done, let's talk about the spying the Topangas asked you to do, vampire," Slash said. The pack grumbled, a soft, angry noise that boded ill. "We tolerated you outside our bounds, but if you a spy, that tolerance will end."

Sarah's ears perked up at the English words, and she sat upright, Declan's hand still on her shoulder. talk-yes, change-first, she yipped out in the language of wolves, then her form rippled and reformed until she was human-seeming once more, though still sitting on her haunches in wolf fashion.

"I asked the Topangas to teach me how to think more in line with the People, as my sire did before his death fighting the Spider Hosts. They offered to put me through the tests of Renown, to decide if I am worthy, and I accepted. My current test is for Cunning, and my task is to learn certain things about some of the other packs in L.A., things they already know but I do not.

"I have seen your border marks, and know your territory. I know you as the Alpha. What I don't know is the name of your pack, or your totem. That is why I have been watching you."

It was, she realized, pretty much exactly what Slash called it: spying. And she was on her territory. Regardless of Declan's comforting hand, she knew that what this Alpha decided now would quite likely define her future - including whether or not there would be a future.

Slash stared at her; the rest of the pack tensed up, ready to act, or to do nothing. "C'mhere," Slash said. Sarah had to do a quick double take to make sure the woman was talking to her. Swallowing hard, she walked forward, as the werewolf stood up. She glanced back at Declan, but he looked as nervous as she felt, which didn't help. The other members of this pack were sitting calmly, looking very somber.

When Sarah stopped in front of her, Slash grabbed her arm. "You stay," she ordered Declan, then stepped backwards, pulling Sarah with her - in the Hisil. It was very dark; behind them, fire spirits danced where the fire was in the real world, providing the only light. Just at the edge of the light, in the 'water' - which was a massive spirit and just water - something of undefined shape stood. It was a roiling mass of blackness that had no form.

Once on the other side, Slash released her. "If you can convince my totem to tell you its name, then I'll take you back," she said to the young vampire. "Otherwise, I'll leave you here to rot - or whatever you do when you die. I'll translate for you. Start talking."

As Sarah disappeared with the alpha of the Cliffs-By-The-Sea pack Declan tensed. Instinct to protect his friend warred with the logic that if Slash truly meant the Dead Wolf harm there would be no sense in taking her into the Hisil. Logic won out: he could do nothing except imperil Sarah further than she already was.

Another test, then? Or just a private talk? Owns-The-Night thought as he consciously forced his body to relax and his shoulders to unbunch, aware that the rest of Slash's pack were watching him keenly from the corners of their eyes. Julio nodded to the others, and they all relaxed by degrees, still keeping one eye on the possibly volatile Rahu. Not that Dec was particularly noteworthy in that regard: all Full Moons could be volatile. It was just one of the little daily facts of life among the Uratha.

Declan stared into the fire, argent eyes watching the flames leap and turn, and silently sent his support to Sarah Dead-Wolf.

You wanted to be part of their world. Now you're really in it, and fucking deep. Good job, Sarah; good fucking job.

This wasn't her first trip to the Shadow. It was, however, her first time of being dragged over and threatened with abandonment. There was really only one reason why her Beast didn't rise up in an unlife-ending frenzy: it couldn't pick between fight or flight.

Sarah, however, knew that neither was going to win this. One way through, and that's right through the middle.

"I'll try and keep this short." The words weren't to Slash; they were directed at the blackness that was the totem, as Sarah desperately scoured her mind for any hint of memory from her years dealing with the People that would help in dealing with this thing.

She looked closer... and as she did, her eyes started to shine, light from the fire-spirits reflected far more than before. Her mouth opened just a touch, breathing in the scent of the thing to smell it far, far better than any mere human could manage. And her ears, while unable to swivel forward, almost seemed to visibly twitch as they took in the sounds.

Her senses took it all in. Sounds of waves crashing... but ozone thick within the swirling, cloudlike mass. Crashing waves... Wait. Waves with ozone? No, not waves. A flash cut through the roiling totem, and she knew the sound: thunder. The thunder of a storm-spirit. Full of potential, but hungry for more....

And then, an idea came. A faint one, but hope springs eternal.

"I can't offer you essence, because I have none to give." Sarah reached into her jacket pocket, pulling something out and making a deft movement of some sort in the darkness. "But I do have this," she said, holding up a shiny black thing that was - here in the Hisil - jumping with electricity spirits.

With the battery of her cellphone held between thumb and forefinger, the Dead Wolf asked, "I'll be happy to give you this as your due, spirit of the storm, if I can know who I'm giving it to."

Click to reveal..
Buying a clue: Intelligence + Occult, w/ Werewolf Lore specialty. Six dice.

(16:53:06) ChatBot: (Sarah_O'Neally) rolls 6d10 and gets 10,2,3,5,6,4.

(16:53:10) ChatBot: (Sarah_O'Neally) rolls 1d10 and gets 4.

One success.

Slash gave her a look that was both appraising and dirty, as if she hadn't expected Sarah to be so crafty. Still, the werewolf turned and spoke in that rumbling, jarring language that was just harsh noise to Sarah's ear.

The storm replied in kind, and Slash answered, a long, lenghty reply that made Sarah nervous. What was the Uratha saying?

Finally, Slash turned back to Sarah. "My totem says that you'll have the name if you bring him more of those," she said, pointing at the phone.

"More batteries? I can do that," Sarah said, nodding. "Do you want me to get them right now?"

"No," Slash said, tilting her head. "I'll bring them to him if you bring them to us." There was something in her tone that made Sarah uneasy. "But you'll get your information."

Unsettling tones or no, Sarah was in a pretty tight spot, and knew enough of the People to know that if there was a time for showing due honor, this was it. "I'm good with that. Heck, I'll bring him some heavy-duty batteries if he wants. A totem deserves offerings, especially from a visitor who is asking for help.

"And an Alpha deserves thanks from that same visitor; as I swore in my oath, The Low Honor the High. If you ever want or need anything where I can be of help, just call." She looked at her depowered phone, and added, "Well, maybe howl."

"Keep your word, vampire," Slash said seriously, then added, "Our totem is called Fury of the Storm Sea." Stepping forward, she grabbed the vampire's arm and stepped again, dragging her back into the real world.

"You got what you came for," Slash said. "Now, get out." Her eyes fell on Declan. "Come back when you're ready to talk about joining us."

He rose to his feet as they reappeared, his eyes running over Sarah's denim-clad form, ensuring she was not missing any large parts of it. He sighed with relief seeing she was intact, if a little shaken. At Slash's words he nodded his head respectfully to her, then to the rest of the gathered pack.

<I thank you all, and freely offer in return the hospitality you have shown me and my friend. From this day there is friendship from Owns-The-Night to the Cliffs-By-The-Sea pack.> He told them in First Tongue, his words made formal by the archaic speech. He looked at Julio. <I shall do as you advise, and go about my affairs. When you believe I am ready, send for me.>

With that, he caught Sarah's eye and jerked his head towards the cliffs with a smile. "Let's go, frail." He turned and walked away from the fire, moving to the base of the cliff and starting his ascent with as much confident strength and easy grace as he had descended. Hard-nailed hands gripped the rock and lifted his large frame easily and without hesitation as he rose higher and higher above the secluded cove.

Click to reveal..

(06:54:18) ChatBot: (Dec) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,6,5,6,10,8,2.

(06:54:25) ChatBot: (Dec) rolls 1d10 and gets 8.

4 Successes on the climb roll

Sarah wasted no time in following the powerful Uratha up the cliff face. As with the descent, her climb was slower than his, but sure enough to make her way without a tumble, and that was good enough.

"OK," she quietly whispered after cresting the top, finding that Declan was quick enough to already have broken down the parabolic mic. "Got a few stops to make. First, need to catch a bus to the downtown station; I need some of my cash. Then Wal-Mart. Then your place, if you don't mind me using some of your power. Tomorrow night..." She sighed, looking down at the shapes of Slash's pack, already resuming their dance. "Tomorrow night, I come back here with the last part of my deal. But not down that damned cliff; I'll walk the beach."

To Declan's curious look, the Dead Wolf gave a grin, and showed him her cell phone. "Seems that Fury of the Storm Sea has a sweet tooth. C'mon, let's get outta here."

Click to reveal..
Climbing:

(05:27:36) ChatBot: (Sarah_O'Neally) rolls 3d10 and gets 1,4,9.

One success

Epilogue

Whatever her deficiencies, Sarah O'Neally was true to her word. Oh, the charger had set back her dwindling funds a fair bit, and so had the material, but it was worth every penny as she handed a pair of fully charged heavy-duty car batteries to Slash just outside the northern markings of Cliffs-By-The-Sea territory. Nothing resembling a friendly look graced the Alpha's face as the Dead Wolf brought the rest of her bargain - pretty clearly, Slash had been looking forward to the undead spy falling through - but her growling acceptance of the offering was tinged with the tinest bit of respect for a deal fulfilled (right before she told Sarah again to go away and not come back).

As she trudged up a familiar road later that same night, watching Luna cross the sky, Sarah spared a few moments to reflect. A month's work had gone into this test. In the greater scheme, a month was nothing; but she was young in the blood, and felt the time passing. She also knew just how close to grim end she'd come on this little quest. Was it all worth it? To try and win enough support from the Topangas to try and obtain some nebulous thing that she didn't even know how to properly express?

By the time she'd finished tacking the note up to a well-marked tree, she knew her answer. There was a long, long way to go, and victory was far from certain, but the Dead Wolf whistled as she walked back down Sullivan Fire Road with a spring in her step.

~~~~~

Dredge,

Here's what I've got for you.

The Death Weavers of Greater L.A. were down in the dock district; their bounds included the block their warehouse was on, and their Alpha was Rudy. I talked with their totem, Weave; he's still there, but the Death Weavers are gone, killed off by what I've heard described from a couple sources as "humans with magic" not long before I got there. A lone wolf - Ariel - has agreed to keep an eye on their locus and Weave for now, until something more permanent can be worked out. I'm claiming this one on techinicality: they were still kicking when you wrote your note.

Cliffs-By-The-Sea is down on the beaches beneath the cliffs of the Palos Verdas, running north and south as far as the rock points that nearly seal the beach off from the rest of the coast. This pack of Blood Talons is led by Slash. The totem is Fury of the Storm Sea, and has a sweet tooth for batteries.

That's my report. I'll be waiting for the next test, though I've got some other work to do in the meantime. Spider nests suck.

Sarah

Archived