Aberrant: In the Beginning - Renee Byrnes

Morninglight2

08:00:00 p.m. Wednesday April 8, 1998 in Gold Coast, Australia

"Renee!"

Being an eighteen-year-old university student still living at home had its downside, Renee Byrnes decided as she dry-swallowed two more paracetamol tablets and quietly longed for death, if only to be rid of these damned headaches. It was the end of the day on the Gold Coast in Australia, the bats stirring in the trees and the ibises (read pests) honking what could only be obscenities at them as their filthy nests were disturbed. Mum's spag bog filled the air as she dished it up, demanding her daughter's attendance posthaste in a voice that drilled through the mass of agony that Renee normally referred to as her brain.

"What part of 'I've got a headache' did you miss?" the young woman asked as she stalked out of her bedroom down to the hallway and into the kitchen. They took their meals in the lounge room and watched TV because it was just the two of them.

Now that her offspring had emerged from the mess of paper, books and clothing laughingly called her bedroom, Renee's mother Lyn handed her the large bowl of pasta and sauce with a smile. Short, thin and brunette where Renee was short, thin and blonde, both shared blue eyes and incredibly sarcastic senses of humour - it was the quick or the dead in the Byrnes household, and if you left yourself wide open, somebody would walk right in and make you look like an idiot. "Have you still got your headaches? It's been two weeks, hasn't it?"

"Yeah, since the Galatea blew up," Renee replied, heading into the lounge room where Sky News was on the TV. It had taken bribery with a nightly game of Yahtzee but Lyn had agreed to let her watch as much as she could on the events following said explosion. Like, the new superhumans.

Lyn looked worried. "Renee... you haven't done anything... different since you started getting them?"

"Yeah Mum. I've started flying and shooting lightning bolts from my butt," Renee answered sarcastically, digging into her food. God, was she hungry when her head wasn't killing her!

"I'm serious," Lyn pointed out.

"Uh huh... Holy crap, it's that Superman knock-off Titan!" Renee said, her attention captured by some guy rescuing kittens. "Jesus, did he suffer from 'little man's syndrome' or something?"

Lyn almost choked on her dinner as Renee wiggled her right pinkie finger, but recovered quickly. "You're the comic book geek, you answer the question."

Satisfied that she'd diverted her mother from the topic of her headaches, Renee enjoyed a delicious meal despite the pain in her skull.

She paid for her TV with Yahtzee, as agreed, after dinner. Lyn even let her watch the news during the game. Renee lost quite badly. It was hard enough concentrating on TV and a game simultaneously, but her migraine made it nearly impossible. After the game, Renee went to her room to work on her paper.

She got interested, after a few pages, in an idea that she had introduced, and did a bit of research on it. This led her to write several pages on the idea, so the research wasn't wasted. Then, she saw that the two parts that she had were not very well connected, and started looking for a way to bring them together. She glanced at the clock. Plenty of time.

Lyn woke early, as was her custom. She looked in on her daughter, as was also her custom in the morning. She was surprised to see Renee still hard at work on her computer.

"What are you still doing up? I thought you had school tomorrow?"

Renee barely looked up. "Working on a paper. Ideas coming clearly. Getting a lot done."

"Really? What's it about?"

Renee patted a stack of paper next to her desk. Lyn flipped a couple of pages, then riffed the stack. She looked at her daughter, puzzled. When she did, she saw something that dropped her jaw. The computer screen was flipping images like changing channels. It paused, and a segment of the screen hilighted, the screen flipped images again. Renee's hands were typing. But Lyn was confident that you couldn't do that by typing. She wasn't really sure how you could do that.

"Macros" Rene murmured.

"What?"

"You could do it with macros. I'm not, I don't really... but you could probably do it with macros."

Lyn was starting to get concerned. She looked back at the stack of paper. There must be 500 pages here.

"821, actually."

Lyn looked at her daughter. She thought as hard as she could.

Can you hear me?

Renee slapped her hands over her ears.

"Jeez, yes! Yes, I can hear you, you don't have to yell."

Lyn saw that the screen never stopped flipping images.

"I didn't yell," Lyn said, a trifle impatiently, as Renee absently worked on what promised to be the longest essay on female Australian authors in the Counterculture movement in Griffith University undergraduate history. Her mind was making connections quicker than her hands could type, so she simply thought the words onto the screen. She'd already changed the ink cartridges twice and gone through almost two reams of paper because of all the printing, but at 821 - no, 830 pages - she was looking at $83 worth of printing up at uni.

"Renee!" Lyn repeated forcefully as her daughter returned to whatever trance she was in. Normally, procrastination was the young woman's biggest problem when it came to assignments.

"Mum, busy!" Renee shot back. Lyn waited until the essay was finished at 900 pages and totally printed before pulling out the power cord on the whole computer/printer/modem setup. That got Renee's attention.

"MUM!"

"Renee!" Lyn repeated. "It's tomorrow. You've just written nearly a thousand pages of that essay you were bitching about two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the required count was a thousand words."

Renee finally twisted around in her grey computer seat to give her mother a look of disbelief. Still short and slim for an eighteen-year-old who'd presumably reached her full growth, eight hours had filled out her previously scrawny frame, eliminated any sign of freckles on her skin, lightened her hair from ash-blonde to a paler shade, and turned her previously dark blue eyes a pure sky-blue. That was before Lyn took in her features, which wouldn't have been out of place on a supermodel.

"...Mum, you're creeping me out."

"Just look in the mirror."

"Holy. Fucking. Shit."

"Watch your language!"

"Umm, Mum, can I just say that becoming a superhuman kinda entitles me to the use of coarse language for the next few hours?"

"Not in my house, it doesn't!" Lyn paused for a moment. "And don't you dare wear your undies on the outside."

For some reason, Renee began to laugh. It might have been a little hysterical, but with the current issues she was having, who could blame her?

Later, in a ballcap and sunglasses, Renee attends class. She wears a baggy sweatshirt to hide the changes to her figure. Hopefully, she can convince people that she got contacts and dyed her hair. She'll have to wait a week, though, and hope she doesn't run into anyone who knows her well, before she can reveal the extent of her changes.

She's pretty confident that she can keep this under wraps. She takes her seat in her Russian Fiction lecture, and waits for the professor. As the room fills with students, she becomes more and more uncomfortable...

At first, it's like an itch on the inside of her skull. Irritating, but imagined, so she can deal with it. As the professor comes in, and takes the podium, though, she hears the whispers. At first she thinks it's in the class, but she glances around, and no one is whispering or talking, only looking at the professor intently.

As the lecture begins, Renee starts hearing snatches of the whispers.

Got to... will he... hope I... what if... she can't...

As the professor begins questioning about the selected reading from 'The Castle', she starts hearing them more completely.

need a pencil...see right down her shirt...buy some foot powder...grab a coke, would he mind...watch chafing my wrist...

She is starting to freak out a little bit. She looks around, and no one else seems to be having any problems. She does see a girl in the third row adjust her watch, but she dismisses it. The professor is lambasting a poor guy behind her, he obviously didn't read the selection. The voices in her head get louder now.

like this shirt drinking tonight shagged her silly and why should I have to reach the damned thing class is boring I should call him see her NIPPLE itching like crazy shut gotta see it tonight up where is the thing shut Kafka sucks do I even have change up can't see what shut toilet jammed this morning up why cant they shut should't pick on shut the beach up don't pick shut four times up the shut have up her shut problem up why shut yelling up freaking shut please up she's SHUT UP

Silence. She opens her eyes, and realizes that she is standing, her hands over her ears. The class is staring at her, wide mouthed, as her yell echoes in the lecture hall. The professor also seems at a loss for words.

If Renee hadn't been the one standing up, hands over ears, and shrieking at everybody to shut up, the pole-axed expression on the world's most boring professor's face would have made her start laughing. Unfortunately, she was the one freaking out and the weird looks weren't that amusing when she was on the receiving end of them.

The young woman took a deep breath and released it explosively as Professor Boring raised both eyebrows above his glasses in unspoken query. She took a few more as the other first-years began to murmur, their thoughts echoing the whispers of 'crazy bitch' or 'totally schizo' running through the crowd. Then she took off her sunglasses and grey Billabong ballcap, put them in her oversized backpack, and peeled off her grey Griffith Uni sweatshirt to reveal a lithe body encased in blue denim jeans and a black t-shirt with 'Sarcasm is just one more service that I offer' printed on it.

Then she said in a falsely calm voice, "Ladies, gentlemen and Professoryawn, I would like to announce that I am one of these new superhumans, apparently with the ability to read minds. That's right, I know about your perving down other students' cleavage, itchy feet, chafing watches, blocked toilets and sex on the beach with a slightly illegal fifteen-year-old girl. If you'll excuse me, I'm pretty sure I have to call the World Health Organisation. Goodbye."

Before she turned away from the stunned students, she added, "And yes, Kafka sucks. Donkey balls, no less."

Then she walked out as pandemonium erupted.

The call to the World Health Organization turned out to be informative and weird. The woman who answered the phone put Renee on hold, apologizing profusely for having to do so. Their hold music was blander than usual, as if some musical genius had figured out how to make muzak from muzak. It should have been annoying, but it managed to be soothing to the point of causing a coma.

The musical abomination cut off with a click and a young man's voice filled Renee's ear. "Ms. Byrnes?"

"Yep," Renee said, keeping her nervousness hidden behind a tone of wry humor.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," the officious sounding fellow said, "but I was taking another call. I'm afraid that all cases in-country similar to yours are getting routed through my office, so I'm a bit busy. Anyway, my name is Bradley Paulson and I'll be helping you.

"I know you told your story to the secretary, but would you mind repeating it again?" A little irritated by the inefficiency of bureaucracy, Renee repeated her story. "That's... quite amazing," Bradley said. Renee could hear something clicking in the background, like he was clicking a ballpoint pen in and out. "Since I believe you have a valid case-"

"Wait, what?" Renee interrupted. "A 'valid' case? I wrote a thousand page paper."

"Ms. Byrnes, I've had twenty-seven calls today," Bradley said, and his irritation was clear. "Of them, you are the first that hasn't been someone getting a headache and getting hopeful. I'm expecting closer to fifty tomorrow. I'll be reporting you up the line; for now, I suggest you go home, get some rest and contact your doctor if the headaches become are too bad. A representative from the Æon Society will be in touch with you, probably no later than tomorrow."

"Thanks for your help and time," Renee answered dryly and hung up. Her mother was waiting with crossed arms and tapping foot; when the young woman repeated what had been said, Lyn looked heavenward for a moment and muttered something uncomplimentary under her breath. She could totally agree with the feeling.

"At least they're not hunting us down for mutant death camps yet," Renee said wryly. "If this turns out like 'Days of Future Past'..."

Lyn just looked blankly at her, then stalked off into the kitchen to make dinner. Satay chicken times three because of the black hole that was now Renee's stomach. Once dinner was eaten, it was shower and Internet for the new superhuman as her mind absorbed as much information on the Internet as possible about the Aeon Society and all the news about the SPBs* running around. She even managed to sleep some.

*Super-powered beings.

(Am Renee, just can't be bothered switching - sorry!)

The first thing in the morning, they called. Lyn answered, a little sleepy because it was eight in the morning, and this wasn't a great time for her. Her tone indicated that fact, as well as communicating that whatever the reason for the call, it had better be important. "'allo?"

"Ms. Renee Byrnes?" The voice was male and well-educated, with a precise way of speaking.

"No, this is her mum," Lyn growled, sure that one of Renee's professors was calling the house. The fact that professors didn't call this early hadn't penetrated Lyn's sleep-muddled mind. "Who is this, and can't you wait until a decent hour?"

"I am Baxter Smallchild of the Æon Society," Baxter said. "I was led to believe that your daughter was one of the Homo sapien novas and that I should contact her immediately. If you wish, I will phone back in two hours."

"Oh, wait. I'm up anyway," Lyn said, sighing. She pulled herself out of bed and went to Renee's room. She knocked and called, "Renee, that society is on the line!"

"About time," Renee muttered as she opened her door, revealing that she was already showered and dressed for the day with hair still damp from washing. She took the phone from the still-yawning Lyn and sauntered out to make cuppas for them both - coffee for her mother and tea for herself.

"Hello," she said as she spooned sugar into her mug. "I'm Renee. How can I help you?"

"Good morning, Ms. Byrnes. Perhaps it is better to ask what we can do for you," the articulate man on the other end said to her. "As I mentioned to your mother, I am Baxter Smallchild, and I am from Æon. I'd like to offer you a chance to come to London to recieve support and funding from the Æon Society. Many other novus have gathered there, and it would be a chance to you to meet them.

"The Society will pay for you and your mother, and you can stay at the Æon Society's manor in rural England."

"I take it you want to test and categorise as many of us new superhumans as possible?" Renee said bluntly as she handed her mother the coffee, then sipped from her tea. "In your position, I can certainly understand it."

She looked over at Lyn, pursing her lips. "Look, I'm eighteen and really don't need my mum along. I'll come over by myself."

Though the Aeon crew seemed benevolent, Renee had read way too many Alan Moore and Warren Ellis Wildstorm comics to leave a potential target for forced compliance in easy reach. Besides, she did want to go to London without her mother.

"As you wish," Baxter said, "we find that having family nearby can help with the adjustment period. We will trust your judgement to know what is best for yourself, however. A private jet is awaiting you and two others in Gold City. Once you are all aboard, the jet will leave. I will be waiting for you at the luggage check-in.

"As a last note, given the events in Egypt and Scotland, I'd recommend not dallying," Baxter said. "People may be emotional and prone to unfortunate reactions. I assume that others know about your status; please assume that many more know than you currently think know, and take that into considerations regarding your safety, and the safety of your mother."

Renee said something short, pithy and utterly guaranteed to make her mother cross with her. "Fine; I'm bringing Mum and a friend." She finalised the arrangements and made her farewells before hanging up. She told Lyn what happened, and the older woman sighed. "You'd better bring your best friend," she advised, and Renee nodded before calling up said friend.

Within three hours they were all packed and at Coolangatta Airport.

(OOC: One of my RL friends is hurt I haven't based a NPC on her; when I have said friend's preferred alias, I'll do more than imply with her *lol*).

Coolangatta Airport was busy, even this early in the morning. Mr. Smallchild was easy to find; he was holding a sign that said Renee - Ben - Iwao. He was younger than he sounded - lanky and tall, with sandy-blonde hair that flipped all about his face in the stiff wind. The round glasses and neat business suit were exactly what she thought such a dag would wear.

"Ms. Byrnes, I'm glad you could make it," Baxter said, folding the sign and putting it the trash. "Did you have any trouble?"

"Nope," Renee said briskly, launching into quick introductions. Baxter graciously received them before herding everyone through the building.

"I'm sorry for the rush," he said, "but I'm quite responsible for your safety, and I would like to get you into the air. The others are already aboard."

In short order their bags were stowed and Renee and her company were seated. The jet quickly taxied and got into the air, and then Renee was allowed to get up and move around the cabin.

There were other occupants, of course. Ben was a big blonde bloke who screamed "cockie"; a petite red-head clung to his arm with a dazed look. Ben introduced her as his girlfriend, Marti. A Japanese man that Renee thought was Iwao turned out to be Seiji, Iwao's dad; Iwao himself was only fourteen. He was a quiet kid who didn't talk much, just kept a tight grip on the Gameboy he was playing. His mother and three younger sisters were all similarly quiet.

"We'll be stopping in Calcutta to refuel and pick up another passenger," Baxter said once they were in the air. He smiled, more relaxed now that they were in-route. "Welcome to the Novas Express."

Renee and company sat down in their seats, Renee's sky-blue eyes settling on the other... novus. Sheesh, what a lameass name, the young telepath thought wryly. I mean, Seedlings or comet-effect enhanciles sounds so much cooler!

She looked up at the others. "Umm, hi. I'm Renee and I can read minds, manipulate computers and I'm really smart. What's your powers?"

Ben turned red and glanced at Marti. "We're still working on that," he said, "the side-effects anyway." She clung tighter to his arm and Ben swallowed hard. "I, uh... seem to have some kind of emotional manipulation... but it's, um... addicting. These Æon blokes say they'll work on fixing that." He touched Marti's hand tentatively and she smiled up at him, hopelessly devoted.

"Creepy," Lyn muttered, glancing at Renee with fear. She wasn't afraid of Ben, but of what side-effects daughter might experience. She's afraid for Renee.

Seiji filled the uncomfortable void. "Iwao, would you like to show them your gift?" The boy nodded shyly and put down his Gameboy. He held his empty hands out, cupping them, as if to catch something. Dirt was suddenly piled in it, a cupful of rich, black earth. Iwao beamed at Renee, his shyness overcome by his accomplishment.

Renee smiled, an expression which promised to dazzle anything remotely heterosexual male (or women who swung in a certain direction), and nodded to Iwao. "Mate, that's going to make you popular with conservationists and farmers and everyone," she said to the younger boy.

Then she turned those intense blue eyes over to Ben. "Mate, you ever pull a mind-job on me, I'll give you one that'll make a lobotomised chimp look smarter than you."

Iwao actually blushed. He mumbled something - it might have been a thank you. Seiji smiled proudly while his wife watched with her own happy smile. Emboldened by everyone's approval, Iwao asked, "Do you think they'll let me design video games, too?"

"I'm sure they'll let you do anything you want," Seiji told his son.

Ben's response is less pleased. "You think I like this?" he snapped. "No one would enjoy making other people like this, especially people they love." He stood up, and Marti moved with him, almost as one being. Face red, he moved to the back of the plane, Marti shadowing him.

The stopover in Calcutta is brief. Yami, the girl they were picking up, is waiting for them, and the plane is quickly refueled. Introductions go around again, and everyone learns that Yami can fly and talk to cows - a fact she discloses with a giggle, aware of how silly it sounds. She's also incredibly graceful and likeable, with large, liquid eyes.

At Heathrow, they are herded off the plane and into two waiting cars. Baxter assured them that their luggage would be brought around immediately. They passed through customs quickly and drove out of London, heading to a large estate in the nearby country.

The grounds are massive, covering hundreds of acres. There is a forest preserve, pasture for livestock, a golfing course and tennis courts. There are horses, cows, and sheep. The grounds are walled, entrance only through gates under constant surveillance.

Set apart from the main house is a compound which includes a huge gymnasium, large dormitories, a library almost as stocked as the main one in the house, and a state-of-the-art medical facility.

In the main house, the design is one of tasteful elegance. The staff is courteous, the food superb. A luncheon buffet is being served in the entrance hall. The house is open to visitors. There are many people here already, chatting and munching on shrimp cocktail. Still, there are doors that will not open to the casual visitor, and the stairs to the upper floors are tactfully blocked with velvet rope.

Welcome travellers, to Æon!

To be continued in Chapter 2- The Firmament of Heaven...

Archived