Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 2: Chasing a Bee

The Fine Balance

Morgan cursed, "Damn it! We did not just find a survivor just to lose her now!" He zoomed in closer and took careful aim at the zombies immediately surrounding her and started firing as fast as he could. (Once he empties the clip he will fly down and use the rifle as a club to bash zombie heads.)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morgan cursed, "Damn it! We did not just find a survivor just to lose her now!" He zoomed in closer and took careful aim at the zombies immediately surrounding her and started firing as fast as he could. (Once he empties the clip he will fly down and use the rifle as a club to bash zombie heads.)

James looks at Violet, looks at the woman, then back at Violet. He's only slight torn, ideally he'd leave to fight the zombies, but leaving his girlfriend-without-combat-powers sitting next to a hostile nillistic nova just strikes him as not a good move. Instead he asks her,

"I'm James. What's your name?"

James looks at Violet, looks at the woman, then back at Violet. He's only slight torn, ideally he'd leave to fight the zombies, but leaving his girlfriend-without-combat-powers sitting next to a hostile nillistic nova just strikes him as not a good move. Instead he asks her,

"I'm James. What's your name?"

Teeth sank into her flesh, finally getting a real bite. She already knew she was immune to its disease, but human teeth have a remarkable capacity to cause pain. Jules howled with pain and punched the zombie in its teeth, ignoring the scrape of teeth over her fist. She managed to knock a couple of teeth loose, sending them spinning down its throat.

One of the zombies over her leaned in to claim its own mouthful. Its head exploded as another rifle shot rang out, pouring brain-goo and thick, black blood on her. Ech! I had my mouth open! Jules fought to not vomit as the foul, dead flesh and blood hit her tongue.

"I fucking HATE zombies!" Jules shrieked, lending voice to all of the rage, frustration, fear and grief she'd hidden from Ben for these last few months. They'd taken everything from her but Ben, and now they were making her vomit and ruining more clothing.

Enraged, she wiggled free, coming to her feet with a warcry. The blood of her ancestors rose in her - Cherokee, Fox and Navajo - and Jules wiggled out from under the zombies. Immediately, she kicked the one who had bitten her in the head. Her feet pounded with the strength of a weight-lifter, and its skull cracked on the third blow. The fourth kick ended its struggles.

There were just too many, even for the enraged Indian warrior Jules had been transformed into. She acknowledged this, even as she hated fleeing. It's all she'd done lately. Getting clear of the zombies with some quick dodges, she extended a hand to the man in the sky, hoping he could carry her away.

Teeth sank into her flesh, finally getting a real bite. She already knew she was immune to its disease, but human teeth have a remarkable capacity to cause pain. Jules howled with pain and punched the zombie in its teeth, ignoring the scrape of teeth over her fist. She managed to knock a couple of teeth loose, sending them spinning down its throat.

One of the zombies over her leaned in to claim its own mouthful. Its head exploded as another rifle shot rang out, pouring brain-goo and thick, black blood on her. Ech! I had my mouth open! Jules fought to not vomit as the foul, dead flesh and blood hit her tongue.

"I fucking HATE zombies!" Jules shrieked, lending voice to all of the rage, frustration, fear and grief she'd hidden from Ben for these last few months. They'd taken everything from her but Ben, and now they were making her vomit and ruining more clothing.

Enraged, she wiggled free, coming to her feet with a warcry. The blood of her ancestors rose in her - Cherokee, Fox and Navajo - and Jules wiggled out from under the zombies. Immediately, she kicked the one who had bitten her in the head. Her feet pounded with the strength of a weight-lifter, and its skull cracked on the third blow. The fourth kick ended its struggles.

There were just too many, even for the enraged Indian warrior Jules had been transformed into. She acknowledged this, even as she hated fleeing. It's all she'd done lately. Getting clear of the zombies with some quick dodges, she extended a hand to the man in the sky, hoping he could carry her away.

Morgan saw the woman go down and he felt there was something familiar about her, but the glimpse of her face was too brief to really tell and then she was down and being swarmed. He heard fired and destroyed one zombie that was on her, but then he heard a scream of pain. He wanted to howl in frustration! Lost another one, and they were so close, worse, she'd been bitten and still managed to scramble and fight her way out of the press and held her hand up for rescue. He could see the blood from the bite and more zombie gore splattering her face... she was dead and just didn't know it yet. It was heartbreaking to come so close to a rescue and even though he knew there was nothing they could do for her he couldn't help himself. He flew down and took her hand pulling her into the air with him. He considered ending her misery himself with a quick drop from a height, but he just couldn't do it. After the mornings disappointments with the ambush and losing the other vehicles he was near his own breaking point.

He called harshly over the radio, "I've got the survivor, get back to the road and keep heading north. We're gonna get those damned weapons and supplies. I'll catch up to you in a minute."

Landing in a clear spot distant from any zombies he set the woman down and looked her over. He was surprised, but she looked pretty healthy, very healthy in fact compared to what he expected for a lone survivor. "I'm Morgan, what's your name?" Again he was struck by the woman's face, he had the distinct impression that he'd seen her before.

Morgan saw the woman go down and he felt there was something familiar about her, but the glimpse of her face was too brief to really tell and then she was down and being swarmed. He heard fired and destroyed one zombie that was on her, but then he heard a scream of pain. He wanted to howl in frustration! Lost another one, and they were so close, worse, she'd been bitten and still managed to scramble and fight her way out of the press and held her hand up for rescue. He could see the blood from the bite and more zombie gore splattering her face... she was dead and just didn't know it yet. It was heartbreaking to come so close to a rescue and even though he knew there was nothing they could do for her he couldn't help himself. He flew down and took her hand pulling her into the air with him. He considered ending her misery himself with a quick drop from a height, but he just couldn't do it. After the mornings disappointments with the ambush and losing the other vehicles he was near his own breaking point.

He called harshly over the radio, "I've got the survivor, get back to the road and keep heading north. We're gonna get those damned weapons and supplies. I'll catch up to you in a minute."

Landing in a clear spot distant from any zombies he set the woman down and looked her over. He was surprised, but she looked pretty healthy, very healthy in fact compared to what he expected for a lone survivor. "I'm Morgan, what's your name?" Again he was struck by the woman's face, he had the distinct impression that he'd seen her before.

Jules caught the hand holding her in a tight grip, reaching up to grab his wrist with her other hand. She did not want to fall. Her shoulder throbbed with each movement; even breathing hurt, with her arms pulled high like this.

Flying while being held in the air by one hand was not fun. The ride would have been easier if she'd been held against him. It probably even would have been cool. But not like this; this was frightening. It was a relief when he put her back on the ground; shaking, she sank to her knees, just refraining from kissing the ground.

Instead, she peeled off her flannel shirt, exposing the tank-top underneath. Hissing with pain, she examined the bite-mark in her bronze skin. But what was more interesting to Morgan was the faint scars of other bites. Zombie bites didn't heal, not on ordinary people.

To her embarrassment, she was barely listening to him when he spoke, caught up in her shoulder. "You said Morgan?" she replied, getting a good look at him. Her jaw dropped, because for a moment, she saw Danny. Her Danny, alive and well before she'd watched him die twice. The second time, it hadn't really been him, but she'd had to kill him herself.

With effort, she shook the impression away. This was a stranger, not her lost love. "Sorry... Pain makes me dumb. I'm Julia. Friends and people who save my life can call me Jules."

Ben.

She surged to her feet, pressing the ruined shirt to her bleeding shoulder. "I have to find my son. He fled to Lawton. I have to find him!" She sounded hysterical; with effort, she forced some calm and added, "He's six and he's with another kid, so I really need to find him."

Jules caught the hand holding her in a tight grip, reaching up to grab his wrist with her other hand. She did not want to fall. Her shoulder throbbed with each movement; even breathing hurt, with her arms pulled high like this.

Flying while being held in the air by one hand was not fun. The ride would have been easier if she'd been held against him. It probably even would have been cool. But not like this; this was frightening. It was a relief when he put her back on the ground; shaking, she sank to her knees, just refraining from kissing the ground.

Instead, she peeled off her flannel shirt, exposing the tank-top underneath. Hissing with pain, she examined the bite-mark in her bronze skin. But what was more interesting to Morgan was the faint scars of other bites. Zombie bites didn't heal, not on ordinary people.

To her embarrassment, she was barely listening to him when he spoke, caught up in her shoulder. "You said Morgan?" she replied, getting a good look at him. Her jaw dropped, because for a moment, she saw Danny. Her Danny, alive and well before she'd watched him die twice. The second time, it hadn't really been him, but she'd had to kill him herself.

With effort, she shook the impression away. This was a stranger, not her lost love. "Sorry... Pain makes me dumb. I'm Julia. Friends and people who save my life can call me Jules."

Ben.

She surged to her feet, pressing the ruined shirt to her bleeding shoulder. "I have to find my son. He fled to Lawton. I have to find him!" She sounded hysterical; with effort, she forced some calm and added, "He's six and he's with another kid, so I really need to find him."

He looked at the scars and winced, that had to have hurt, then the import of it hit him, she had survived zombie attacks and was still human and uninfected. She wouldn't die, they hadn't lost a survivor!

Morgan blinked, she'd said Julia, now he was sure he knew her but he still couldn't place her, then she said Jules. "Jules... Jules! You were Dan's girlfriend." He took a second to register the rest in his amazement, "Wait, you said son, did you and Dan have a son together? I have a nephew?" He reached an arm around her waist and scooped her up into the sky again and headed toward Lawton not waiting for an answer. "Which way did they go?"

He looked at the scars and winced, that had to have hurt, then the import of it hit him, she had survived zombie attacks and was still human and uninfected. She wouldn't die, they hadn't lost a survivor!

Morgan blinked, she'd said Julia, now he was sure he knew her but he still couldn't place her, then she said Jules. "Jules... Jules! You were Dan's girlfriend." He took a second to register the rest in his amazement, "Wait, you said son, did you and Dan have a son together? I have a nephew?" He reached an arm around her waist and scooped her up into the sky again and headed toward Lawton not waiting for an answer. "Which way did they go?"

Shock. It was a great word, simple, sharp, and concise without giving any warning of its nature. Jules had felt it before; sometimes, she felt that she lived eternally in its coccoon, coming out only under extreme stress. But now she found that there were new levels to fall to, a whole new kind of shock: relief.

Family. She'd found family. He'd mentioned having a brother, but said they'd never been close. When the world had gone mad, Dann had started talking about leaving their small town in the mountains to find his brother. They didn't, and the dead had come. When Danny had begged her to take the kids to this base in Texas with his dying breath, she'd thought he'd been hallucinating. He'd been pretty sick at the end, the bite he'd gotten infecting him so fast. And then...

"Yes, Benjamin," she said, feeling grief swallow her heart. "We lost... there... you had a niece, too, Samantha - Sami. I buried her next to Danny." Even though he'd eaten her. It hadn't been him. She knows that. I know that. She'd know it now... right? She'd had screamed and begged her Daddy to stop hurting her, when Dan had risen. When he'd been hungry.

With effort she pushed that away. Ben now, grieve later, when they were safe. It was blowing her mind, thinking that they might be safe now.

Ben. Later. Lose your mind later, Jules.

"I don't know. We were approaching from the northwest, so they'd have entered there," Jules said. "If we find their trail, I can follow them. Cal's really good at hiding. Horse isn't, but he'd do his best to protect her and the dog. And Ben. Ben most of all." She was rambling and couldn't stop. "Is the base Danny told me about real? A real place of safety?"

Shock. It was a great word, simple, sharp, and concise without giving any warning of its nature. Jules had felt it before; sometimes, she felt that she lived eternally in its coccoon, coming out only under extreme stress. But now she found that there were new levels to fall to, a whole new kind of shock: relief.

Family. She'd found family. He'd mentioned having a brother, but said they'd never been close. When the world had gone mad, Dann had started talking about leaving their small town in the mountains to find his brother. They didn't, and the dead had come. When Danny had begged her to take the kids to this base in Texas with his dying breath, she'd thought he'd been hallucinating. He'd been pretty sick at the end, the bite he'd gotten infecting him so fast. And then...

"Yes, Benjamin," she said, feeling grief swallow her heart. "We lost... there... you had a niece, too, Samantha - Sami. I buried her next to Danny." Even though he'd eaten her. It hadn't been him. She knows that. I know that. She'd know it now... right? She'd had screamed and begged her Daddy to stop hurting her, when Dan had risen. When he'd been hungry.

With effort she pushed that away. Ben now, grieve later, when they were safe. It was blowing her mind, thinking that they might be safe now.

Ben. Later. Lose your mind later, Jules.

"I don't know. We were approaching from the northwest, so they'd have entered there," Jules said. "If we find their trail, I can follow them. Cal's really good at hiding. Horse isn't, but he'd do his best to protect her and the dog. And Ben. Ben most of all." She was rambling and couldn't stop. "Is the base Danny told me about real? A real place of safety?"

Must find nephew! He put on some extra speed in the direction that Jules indicated. Morgan heard what she said. His brother was dead as well as a niece that he'd never known about. He just didn't have time to face it right now. Right now he had a nephew to rescue. As they got closer to where the kids must have been he swooped down close to the ground and slowed. "Can you see where they would have gone? And Call out to them. If they are hiding we might miss them and we can't afford to do that."

Must find nephew! He put on some extra speed in the direction that Jules indicated. Morgan heard what she said. His brother was dead as well as a niece that he'd never known about. He just didn't have time to face it right now. Right now he had a nephew to rescue. As they got closer to where the kids must have been he swooped down close to the ground and slowed. "Can you see where they would have gone? And Call out to them. If they are hiding we might miss them and we can't afford to do that."

Jules clung to Morgan - one hand digging into his shoulder and another wound around his neck - and yelped a little as they pulled through the air with a new burst of speed. "I don't know where... I told Cal to hide. He hid in Sunray, Oklahoma for weeks, alone, after his family died. He's good at hiding," Jules said, breathlessly. Part of that breathlessness was her anxiety over the situation; the other part was the simply delighted fear in the flight. She had been right; the ride was much better held against the flyer, instead of hanging from an arm. This was cool, not that she could really enjoy it, not right now. Maybe later.

"Get lower," she said, "and I can find him. Up here I can... sense roughly which area they are in, but I can't tell you where, exactly. Also, it's hard to pick anything out of the smell of rotting corpses." She nervously pried one hand off Morgan's shoulder to scrub at the zombie goo on her face, trying to clear some of it. While she tried to pick up the smell of Ben, a smell she knew better than her own, she drew a deep breath and hollared, "Ben! Cal! Zeke! Where are you guys?" Nervously, she sniffed, straining to hear a noise that might be her son.

[using Bloodhound enhancement to scent for her son!]

Jules clung to Morgan - one hand digging into his shoulder and another wound around his neck - and yelped a little as they pulled through the air with a new burst of speed. "I don't know where... I told Cal to hide. He hid in Sunray, Oklahoma for weeks, alone, after his family died. He's good at hiding," Jules said, breathlessly. Part of that breathlessness was her anxiety over the situation; the other part was the simply delighted fear in the flight. She had been right; the ride was much better held against the flyer, instead of hanging from an arm. This was cool, not that she could really enjoy it, not right now. Maybe later.

"Get lower," she said, "and I can find him. Up here I can... sense roughly which area they are in, but I can't tell you where, exactly. Also, it's hard to pick anything out of the smell of rotting corpses." She nervously pried one hand off Morgan's shoulder to scrub at the zombie goo on her face, trying to clear some of it. While she tried to pick up the smell of Ben, a smell she knew better than her own, she drew a deep breath and hollared, "Ben! Cal! Zeke! Where are you guys?" Nervously, she sniffed, straining to hear a noise that might be her son.

[using Bloodhound enhancement to scent for her son!]

Priest turned to James, Violet, and Violet's prisoner,

"Time to go! put her in the sleeper cab and sit on her!"

Over the headsets Violet heard Priest calling the rest of the team in the moment Morgan rose up out of the sea of zombies with ... somebody - hopefully a survivor.

The truck kicked to life, the humans came scrambling back, and mounted up on the running boards of the vehicle. Sara crawled up inside and the dogs came with her. Leo was in the driver's seat ready to roll.

Over the headsets Violet heard Priest calling the rest of the team in the moment Morgan rose up out of the sea of zombies with ... somebody - hopefully a survivor.

The truck kicked to life, the humans came scrambling back, and mounted up on the running boards of the vehicle. Sara crawled up inside and the dogs came with her. Leo was in the driver's seat ready to roll.

Originally Posted By: Priest

"You can do that.", said Violet to James obviously too furious about the womans behaviour to waste any further second on her. Violet almost stormed off to join Rhonda and the others trying to shake of her anger.

Stupid bitch, I hope the men will show her some respect or I'm going to have my way with her

Originally Posted By: Priest

"You can do that.", said Violet to James obviously too furious about the womans behaviour to waste any further second on her. Violet almost stormed off to join Rhonda and the others trying to shake of her anger.

Stupid bitch, I hope the men will show her some respect or I'm going to have my way with her

Rhonda came scrambling up behind Sarah. When she looked up and saw Voilet in distress she ran up, meeting her half way.

"What's wrong?" Then, "Hold up."

Rhonda grabbed Violet's wrist and drug her toward the truck, not stopping until she had drawn Violet up to the relative safetly of the running boards on the passanger's side of the vehicle.

"Now, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

Her doe eyes are filled with concern even as she slings her rifle over her shoulder.

Rhonda came scrambling up behind Sarah. When she looked up and saw Voilet in distress she ran up, meeting her half way.

"What's wrong?" Then, "Hold up."

Rhonda grabbed Violet's wrist and drug her toward the truck, not stopping until she had drawn Violet up to the relative safetly of the running boards on the passanger's side of the vehicle.

"Now, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

Her doe eyes are filled with concern even as she slings her rifle over her shoulder.

"That stupid bitch who ambushed us is wrong!", Violet pointed vaguely at the direction she came from. "And my boyfriend is trying to tell me I shouldn't make things worse - it's the end of the world, for god's sake. Lets blow ourselves up, why don't we?!", Violet was fuming.

"But... I don't care about that! I refuse to drag myself down because of that. We are alive and as long as I am alive I will not give in to despair.", Violet calmed down just a little bit and only now realized who she was talking to. Her eyes locked with Rhonda's and she smiled briefly. "Thank you... excuse me", Violet entered the truck and sat down trying to shake off her frustration.

"That stupid bitch who ambushed us is wrong!", Violet pointed vaguely at the direction she came from. "And my boyfriend is trying to tell me I shouldn't make things worse - it's the end of the world, for god's sake. Lets blow ourselves up, why don't we?!", Violet was fuming.

"But... I don't care about that! I refuse to drag myself down because of that. We are alive and as long as I am alive I will not give in to despair.", Violet calmed down just a little bit and only now realized who she was talking to. Her eyes locked with Rhonda's and she smiled briefly. "Thank you... excuse me", Violet entered the truck and sat down trying to shake off her frustration.

Cautiously Dan makes his way inside the Walmart. It reeks of the dead, but he knew it could still contain things they could use. He stays up in the girder-like rafters, with his pistol drawn, just in case there happens to be zombies still inside.

(((OOC Dan is now making a survey of the store for any sort of supplies they could use, batteries, Ammunition, sealed can foods, Any First aid, medical supplies, and pharmaceuticals in the pharmacy department, Tires and even seeds in the garden department. He isn't moving fast but he is thirty feet above the ground.)))

Cautiously Dan makes his way inside the Walmart. It reeks of the dead, but he knew it could still contain things they could use. He stays up in the girder-like rafters, with his pistol drawn, just in case there happens to be zombies still inside.

(((OOC Dan is now making a survey of the store for any sort of supplies they could use, batteries, Ammunition, sealed can foods, Any First aid, medical supplies, and pharmaceuticals in the pharmacy department, Tires and even seeds in the garden department. He isn't moving fast but he is thirty feet above the ground.)))

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
Violet heard James as she stormed off but didn't stop. She yelled half over her shoulder back at him, "Don't tell me, tell it that stupid bitch! She attacked us not viceversa!"

She was really getting angry...
James yells back,

"I was talking to her. You're not the one trying to kill people."

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
Violet heard James as she stormed off but didn't stop. She yelled half over her shoulder back at him, "Don't tell me, tell it that stupid bitch! She attacked us not viceversa!"

She was really getting angry...
James yells back,

"I was talking to her. You're not the one trying to kill people."

((Violet, James and Co.))

For a moment, it looks like the woman (the incredibly, almost irresistably gorgeous woman, James and Violet both notice) is going to ignore the insult, but her mouth twitches. "Spoiled little brat, aren't you?" she asks Violet rhetorically, clutching James and trying to inch behind and closer to him, using him as a human shield. Her breath tickles the back of his neck lightly. "My name is Erica." She smiles at Violet, but there is a lean, hard edge to the smile.

She smiles sweetly at James. "It's getting worse anyway. Eventually it won't be able to get any worse because the worst will have come and gone. The end is better than the journey there, surely?"

((Violet, James and Co.))

For a moment, it looks like the woman (the incredibly, almost irresistably gorgeous woman, James and Violet both notice) is going to ignore the insult, but her mouth twitches. "Spoiled little brat, aren't you?" she asks Violet rhetorically, clutching James and trying to inch behind and closer to him, using him as a human shield. Her breath tickles the back of his neck lightly. "My name is Erica." She smiles at Violet, but there is a lean, hard edge to the smile.

She smiles sweetly at James. "It's getting worse anyway. Eventually it won't be able to get any worse because the worst will have come and gone. The end is better than the journey there, surely?"

((@Morgan and Jules))

The stench was nearly unbearable with her nose 'turned up' all the way; unbearable, and difficult to sort through, but through the other meaningless tripe drifted a familar smell; Ben. It was very faint, as best she could figure it was emanating from a small, secure-looking shed in a matchingly cramped little park.

((@Morgan and Jules))

The stench was nearly unbearable with her nose 'turned up' all the way; unbearable, and difficult to sort through, but through the other meaningless tripe drifted a familar smell; Ben. It was very faint, as best she could figure it was emanating from a small, secure-looking shed in a matchingly cramped little park.

Archived