Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Book 2: Chapter 2: Meddle

jameson (ST)

Doug answers,

"Then he goes down. Maybe by my hand, maybe someone else's. He strikes me as being self destructive. Wouldn't shock me if whoever else involved in this figures out he's betrayed them and takes him out first. But I won't trade the world for one man no matter how evil."

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug answers,

"Then he goes down. Maybe by my hand, maybe someone else's. He strikes me as being self destructive. Wouldn't shock me if whoever else involved in this figures out he's betrayed them and takes him out first. But I won't trade the world for one man no matter how evil."

Doug replies,

"There's no love lost between them and they didn't grow up together. He never knew James the little boy, just James the monster. Poisoning their father, etc. Raider is also the closest thing we have to a leader. I'm not sure if he could bring himself to do it himself; He thinks so, I have my doubts."

"But it's not like he has any offensive powers anyway."

Doug replies,

"There's no love lost between them and they didn't grow up together. He never knew James the little boy, just James the monster. Poisoning their father, etc. Raider is also the closest thing we have to a leader. I'm not sure if he could bring himself to do it himself; He thinks so, I have my doubts."

"But it's not like he has any offensive powers anyway."

Gregory disliked the tentacles aberrant, Squiddy-James, but he was not sure if he wanted him dead. He never killed anyone, that Gregory was aware of. He did kidnap and alter KB, but she is still alive. They also took off his James's arm for that.

Of course there was that suitcase-bomb which left Gregory mangled and burned. That was a personal matter between him and Squiddy. He only wanted to fool Squiddy, like he fooled Gregory. Gregory's words would probably be unpopular, but he would say them anyways.

"James should live." Gregory said in a flat voice. "James do bad stuff. But he have a good reason. He do not deserve to die."

A smile crosses his face. "He keep hurting people then we hurt him."

Gregory disliked the tentacles aberrant, Squiddy-James, but he was not sure if he wanted him dead. He never killed anyone, that Gregory was aware of. He did kidnap and alter KB, but she is still alive. They also took off his James's arm for that.

Of course there was that suitcase-bomb which left Gregory mangled and burned. That was a personal matter between him and Squiddy. He only wanted to fool Squiddy, like he fooled Gregory. Gregory's words would probably be unpopular, but he would say them anyways.

"James should live." Gregory said in a flat voice. "James do bad stuff. But he have a good reason. He do not deserve to die."

A smile crosses his face. "He keep hurting people then we hurt him."

Doug was a bit non-plussed at Gregory's statement and he answered Ash first saying,

"Raider got back from space about a half hour before you erupted. He was out of juice and told me he had to sleep. My mental phone is strictly by consent and the sleeping can't cooperate. When he wakes up he'll contact us and we'll hook up."

Doug says to Gregory,

"Gregory, you found that torture room in the tunnels. How many rooms like that do you think he's got around here? There's an arena over there where baselines are forced to fight for their lives against aberrants. From what I saw the issue isn't whether the baselines will die but rather how long it will take."

"And that ignores that he just didn't need to torture, rape, and mentally restructure KB. She would have helped if he'd just asked her, but if it's worth doing, it's worth torturing someone over. Even if she heal from the mental injuries the power strain gave her an aberration. That's not going away."

"James was behind the Doc's murder, James infected his own Dad with that wasting sickness, and he was behind the snowstorm as well. On top of all that Raider thinks James is trying to get his hands on the old burn weapons."

"How many people have to die before James deserves death? Dozens? We're past that. Hundreds? Past that too. I wouldn't be shocked if we're into the thousands. Should we wait for him to kill hundreds of thousands?"

Doug was a bit non-plussed at Gregory's statement and he answered Ash first saying,

"Raider got back from space about a half hour before you erupted. He was out of juice and told me he had to sleep. My mental phone is strictly by consent and the sleeping can't cooperate. When he wakes up he'll contact us and we'll hook up."

Doug says to Gregory,

"Gregory, you found that torture room in the tunnels. How many rooms like that do you think he's got around here? There's an arena over there where baselines are forced to fight for their lives against aberrants. From what I saw the issue isn't whether the baselines will die but rather how long it will take."

"And that ignores that he just didn't need to torture, rape, and mentally restructure KB. She would have helped if he'd just asked her, but if it's worth doing, it's worth torturing someone over. Even if she heal from the mental injuries the power strain gave her an aberration. That's not going away."

"James was behind the Doc's murder, James infected his own Dad with that wasting sickness, and he was behind the snowstorm as well. On top of all that Raider thinks James is trying to get his hands on the old burn weapons."

"How many people have to die before James deserves death? Dozens? We're past that. Hundreds? Past that too. I wouldn't be shocked if we're into the thousands. Should we wait for him to kill hundreds of thousands?"

Ash nods, and as Doug deals with Gregory she wanders away a few steps, looking at her glowing hands. With effort, she 'pushed' at that place deep in her head, where the light and heat seemed to beat like another heart.

It was a lot harder than letting it all out, but with a grimace, she managed to shove it all back until it was just that egg inside again. The glow faded from her body, and her eyes could be seen again as the light stopped pouring out. The headache didn't come back, but there was still a feeling of slightly uncomfortable pressure from inside her brain; that spring now coiled and ready to snap out again.

Ash nods, and as Doug deals with Gregory she wanders away a few steps, looking at her glowing hands. With effort, she 'pushed' at that place deep in her head, where the light and heat seemed to beat like another heart.

It was a lot harder than letting it all out, but with a grimace, she managed to shove it all back until it was just that egg inside again. The glow faded from her body, and her eyes could be seen again as the light stopped pouring out. The headache didn't come back, but there was still a feeling of slightly uncomfortable pressure from inside her brain; that spring now coiled and ready to snap out again.

"I'm not a warrior but I will help the only friends I've got... just don't expect me to hurt or even kill somebody. I can't do that..."

Anna watched Ashley going from complete denial to embracing her new found powers and abilities. It surprised her a lot but she kept her thoughts and worries to herself. Anna could remember the thrill she felt when she erupted very good. There was a moment back then when she felt that everything was possible... that there was nothing who could stop her. Ashley must've experienced something very similar to that. Instead of saying anything about it Anna simply smiled and set path to the secret base she helped built where Raider was waiting. Maybe Doug wouldn't notice that they walked... Anna didn't like flying.

"I'm not a warrior but I will help the only friends I've got... just don't expect me to hurt or even kill somebody. I can't do that..."

Anna watched Ashley going from complete denial to embracing her new found powers and abilities. It surprised her a lot but she kept her thoughts and worries to herself. Anna could remember the thrill she felt when she erupted very good. There was a moment back then when she felt that everything was possible... that there was nothing who could stop her. Ashley must've experienced something very similar to that. Instead of saying anything about it Anna simply smiled and set path to the secret base she helped built where Raider was waiting. Maybe Doug wouldn't notice that they walked... Anna didn't like flying.

Gregory always assumed that the others around Squiddy acted on their own. It didn't occur to him that he told them what to do. If he had, then Doug might have a point. Gregory wanted to make sure first.

"Squiddy's friends did most of these things. Not James. He may not know they bad." Gregory was ready to be berated by Doug again. "Besides, how far we go if we tring to save planet? Would others be... uuhh....ek'spenable?"

Gregory always assumed that the others around Squiddy acted on their own. It didn't occur to him that he told them what to do. If he had, then Doug might have a point. Gregory wanted to make sure first.

"Squiddy's friends did most of these things. Not James. He may not know they bad." Gregory was ready to be berated by Doug again. "Besides, how far we go if we tring to save planet? Would others be... uuhh....ek'spenable?"

Doug noted with approval that walking was wasting time. They were on hold until Raider woke up so they had time to burn.

He asked Anna,

"You've spoken to James, right? Did he have anything interesting to say?"

Originally Posted By: Gregory
Doug noted he'd given Gregory something to think about and responded evenly,

"Sure. He might not know. It's not like he's a mega-intelligent telepath who is over seeing everything." smile

"As for how far we go, yeah, that's a point. But my impression is that this..." Doug waves his hand at the city, "Predates the rock. Nor do I see why torturing KB was the first stick out of the bag. Asking her should have been in there somewhere."

Doug has a thought and turns to Ash,

"Ash, how long have you known about this city? How long have the abbies been taking people?"

Doug noted with approval that walking was wasting time. They were on hold until Raider woke up so they had time to burn.

He asked Anna,

"You've spoken to James, right? Did he have anything interesting to say?"

Originally Posted By: Gregory
Doug noted he'd given Gregory something to think about and responded evenly,

"Sure. He might not know. It's not like he's a mega-intelligent telepath who is over seeing everything." smile

"As for how far we go, yeah, that's a point. But my impression is that this..." Doug waves his hand at the city, "Predates the rock. Nor do I see why torturing KB was the first stick out of the bag. Asking her should have been in there somewhere."

Doug has a thought and turns to Ash,

"Ash, how long have you known about this city? How long have the abbies been taking people?"

"I've been here a year," Ashley replies, looking at her now-normal looking hand. "There's others that've been here longer. I don't know when it all first started."

She looks at Doug. "They don't make a secret of what they do there either. Anyone who lives in that city would see, and hear...everything. All the time."

"I've been here a year," Ashley replies, looking at her now-normal looking hand. "There's others that've been here longer. I don't know when it all first started."

She looks at Doug. "They don't make a secret of what they do there either. Anyone who lives in that city would see, and hear...everything. All the time."

As the conversation and on the fly lessons commenced the group walked. Winding around ruined buildings and down streets cleared of debris they made their way slowly across the devastated city. Whether intentional or not they made a beeline toward the ruined building that concealed their "backdoor" entrance to the underground cavern. Doug and Anna rolled aside the massive blocks of concrete that obscured the doorway and the group descended into the darkness. As they did so Raider awoke to the sound of tumbling rocks and footsteps. Hardly enough sleep to feel revitalized but more than enough to feel a hell of a lot better.

As the conversation and on the fly lessons commenced the group walked. Winding around ruined buildings and down streets cleared of debris they made their way slowly across the devastated city. Whether intentional or not they made a beeline toward the ruined building that concealed their "backdoor" entrance to the underground cavern. Doug and Anna rolled aside the massive blocks of concrete that obscured the doorway and the group descended into the darkness. As they did so Raider awoke to the sound of tumbling rocks and footsteps. Hardly enough sleep to feel revitalized but more than enough to feel a hell of a lot better.

"Not bad," Ash admitted in an echoing voice as they made their way through the underground tunnel. "What is this, an old sewer or something? How far do these tunnels go? Doe the aberrants know about them?"

It's not hard to sense the military gears whirling and ticking in her head.

"Not bad," Ash admitted in an echoing voice as they made their way through the underground tunnel. "What is this, an old sewer or something? How far do these tunnels go? Doe the aberrants know about them?"

It's not hard to sense the military gears whirling and ticking in her head.

Doug answers,

"Storm run-off, and they know. They use these tunnels themselves but this section is blocked off from theirs on both ends. We think they just forgot it was here, maybe it wasn't useful because water still runs so it might have flooded every now and then."

"There's a wall at one end with a sealed door that opens into a used torture chamber so be careful how loud you talk. The other end connects to a maze with a rail road or something. This might be a dead man zone between empires."

Doug answers,

"Storm run-off, and they know. They use these tunnels themselves but this section is blocked off from theirs on both ends. We think they just forgot it was here, maybe it wasn't useful because water still runs so it might have flooded every now and then."

"There's a wall at one end with a sealed door that opens into a used torture chamber so be careful how loud you talk. The other end connects to a maze with a rail road or something. This might be a dead man zone between empires."

Doug replies,

"Other aberrants. Far as I can tell 'organization' isn't their strong suit. The strong rule the weak, and if there's a power god-king somewhere ruling everyone I haven't heard of him. So everyone tries to carve out their own personal empire."

"Those abby guards have to be defending those tunnels against someone and it's not us. It's also not likely to be baselines. Either there are feral abbies around down here, and we haven't seen that, or this is a place where two or more empires meet."

"Given the rooms down there that's the way I'm betting. I think this is a multi-factional game."

Doug replies,

"Other aberrants. Far as I can tell 'organization' isn't their strong suit. The strong rule the weak, and if there's a power god-king somewhere ruling everyone I haven't heard of him. So everyone tries to carve out their own personal empire."

"Those abby guards have to be defending those tunnels against someone and it's not us. It's also not likely to be baselines. Either there are feral abbies around down here, and we haven't seen that, or this is a place where two or more empires meet."

"Given the rooms down there that's the way I'm betting. I think this is a multi-factional game."

Gregory was his usual self, out ahead and alone in the dark. In many ways he felt safer here, than in the rubble of the city above. He could 'see' everything around him while most enemies could not. As for the conversations going on behind him, they were no audible: he had to focus his hearing on the reverberating sound waves ahead of him. If there was an enemy that found their way down into their tunnels, Gregory would hear their shape.

Gregory was his usual self, out ahead and alone in the dark. In many ways he felt safer here, than in the rubble of the city above. He could 'see' everything around him while most enemies could not. As for the conversations going on behind him, they were no audible: he had to focus his hearing on the reverberating sound waves ahead of him. If there was an enemy that found their way down into their tunnels, Gregory would hear their shape.

"We're basically there.", Anna had to suppress a smile. Ashley had changed a lot since she erupted.

"Are you sure you want to start a war right away? I understand the reasons Doug and Raider have... but it is still something I wouldn't do. I guess I'd just walk away from it. I'm not a warrior."

"We're basically there.", Anna had to suppress a smile. Ashley had changed a lot since she erupted.

"Are you sure you want to start a war right away? I understand the reasons Doug and Raider have... but it is still something I wouldn't do. I guess I'd just walk away from it. I'm not a warrior."

Archived