Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Georgi: And you thought Boot Camp was bad...

Justin OOC

Georgi made his way to the Primary training field in about eighteen minutes. Inside Twenty rows of ten each trainees waited, along with Seargeant Johnson at the head.

"I am only going to say this to you punks once. Georgi here is to be treated with the same respect you treat your squadmates. He has already been where you're training to go. He took armor out without benefit of full activation and managed to both survive and kick some serious Alien ass. That Alone commands respect, and a harder training regimen. So, Which of you Team Leaders wants him on your squad?"

Four of the Team leaders stepped forward, and as one shouted "Sir, My Squad welcomes Georgi to the ranks, Sir!"

"Well then, we decide this the right way, you boys want to walk in the rough, then You Know what to do. One versus Eight, Seven versus Eighteen."

A circle was losely formed by the leader's squads and the two corresponding squad leaders duked it out in a no holds barred streetfight. Over a dozen styles of combat could be noted by a keen observer, all perfectly blended by the fighter using them. It was clear each fighter was quite accomplished in their own right. Soon the first round was done, With the leaders of Squad Eight and Eighteen winning.

"Eight Versus Eighteen Begin!" The two weary fighters launched into action as the circle reformed. After three minutes of moves that most would call extremely brutal, John, the leader of Squad Eight was the one standing. "John and Squad Eight are the victors in this combat trial." John staggered over to Georgi and extended his hand. "Welcome to the Roughnecks Georgi." Then he promptly passed out due to his injuries.

A pair of Squad Eight members hefted him up and started carrying him to the barracks, as the other three squads had done with their fallen leaders.

Seargeant Johnson came up behind Georgi. "Now you have to prove you were worth it to squad Eight. I'm gonna ride you hard, but consider this. Ain't a one of these trainees over eighteen. If they fight that well now, imagine what a year or two of combat duty will actually do, or just how terrifying a squad of ten can truly be."

"I am ready to take on the best, sergeant!" Georgi was in cadet mode. He remembered what it was like being a private during basic. By being motivated and determined, even if is false motivation, he would be able to accomplish things beyond what his mind thought possible. Georgi had learned that it is the mind that will hold you back. The body can do amazing things.

This was just like the other times. He walked to the members of squad Eight and once there, he stood at attention. He was ready to begin.

A Quick round of introductions was made, providing names to the squad who welcomed him. Fred, Tom, Kelly, Linda, Van, Issac, Joseph, Kurt, and Marcus rounded out Squad Eight in addition to John, the leader.

Seargeant Johnson returned to the front of the auditorium and immediately all conversation died. "Alright Squads, listen up. Today we are running the Heyford pass exercise. Not one of you except John has even come close to surviving this run and By God I aim for all of you to do so. I promised Princess Lily and Captain Kaunac that I could graduate ALL Two hundred of you into real PA Troops, and I am not a liar am I?"

"In perfect Unison they responded, "Sir no Sir!"

"Good. Exercise begins in twenty minutes, get yer gear ready and be prepared for Dimension setup."

The entire troop of cadets sprang into action, each getting full equipment. everything was loaded with paint, but even of you were hit, it hurt like all hell.

Fred and Linda nodded to Georgi. "You can use John's gear. The idea of Heyford is that we have to neutralize a rogue agent, who is better armed and protected than we are. So far nobody's succeeded, though John actually managed to hit him once in the shoulder. Wasn't a fatal strike, but that's the best anyone's ever gotten of Old Sarge. I've seen him dodge bullets by a millimeter if not less."

Linda took up the explanation. "This is mainly meant to teach lessons of teamwork, though no amount yet has won anybody the scenario, Sarge always wins, It's like he enjoys humiliating us."

Kelly chuckles. "He only humiliates us if we don't learn something unless he tells us what we learned."

They all turn to him. "Have you ever run a scenario like this?"

Georgi looks back at them. "Something similar, though not as high tech." He fastened his gear, and looked around the squad.

He smiled at Linda as he spoke. "So, John was able to wound him. If I was the Sergeant, I would not be happy with you guys. He wants you to make a killing shot. It means that he has been successful in his training. He doesn't do it to humiliate you. That is something that the mind does to the self. If is for that reason, that he is going to make it difficult. To do otherwise, would only get you killed that much faster."

He turns to the trest of the Squad. "What has been your assault tactics? Which ones have failed, and which ones have been the most successful? Do we know a layout of the area we are going into? Does he?"

Gregory waits patiently for the Dimensional setup.

Linda frowns. "The Pass changes each time we do this, so it's never static. We have to recon each time. I would imagine since he programs the dimension he knows everything about it. Usually we bait the Seargeant with the bulk of the squad into giving away his position. This got John his point, but He was told he sacrificed too many men for a non-fatal strike and was made to run fifty kilometers without break. We tried to explain that the plan was ours, but He said he already knew and was punishing John for not finding a better one."

Tom takes up the torch there. "We've tried mines and traps but he always avoids them, though alot of the other teams don't. We've successfully killed half of the other teams in each excercise. They either don't see our traps, or walk straight into a minefield without checking. We've tried snipers even rpg's and nothing ever manages to suprise or brind down the Sarge. He's indestructible and virtually untouchable."

The red-haired Russian ponders what the others say, before speaking again. He waits until the sargeant is no longer in the area.

"Have any of you read the book Beau Geste, or seen the movie? In it, a much larger attacking force is tricked into believing that there were many more defenders than there actually were. They did this by propping the dead soldiers on the walls to give the illusion that there were more than there actually were."

Georgi give the others a boyish grin. "I propose we do something similar. We make the sarge think we are committing most of our forces, like before. We do that by making him think most of the squad is assaulting him, like before, and that I am coming at him from behind."

"When he attacks the squad, you seek cover. He would expect that. Then, all but a few soldiers retreat to reassemble. The retreating soldiers then split into two squads, and flank him. I will have moved up to help the initial group that came under fire. This will help keep him where he is. If he retreats or moves away, the survivors of the first group, along with myself, will hunt him."

"It might not work, but it is worth a try. What do you guys think."

• 2 weeks later...

"We've tried similar moves, but with you here it might work. I mean you've been a soldier awhile now right?" Just then the entire world flashed white and then became a series of boulders, cnyons and a long narrow ravine. The land wasn't flat, and as far as they could see the Ravine began past the horizon. They were in one of the more spacious areas, slightly elevated so they could see a bit more.

Fred took up command. "Alright, Van, Issac, recon; Kurt, Marcus, lay out the mines and get the traps set. Everyone else, we're the bait..." He looks to Georgi.. "You and Linda find a home for that big ass gun she totes. We'll try this your way. We'll buy you two the shot, but make it count."

"The terrain is not what I envisioned. It works to our advantage." Georgi said to Fred. "I want someone to lure him into an ambush." He looks over at Linda. "You will take the high ground. I want you to cover the squad." He reaches towards the one of the other squad members. "I want you to go with Lind to cover her back. She will provide support using incendiary munitions."

He grins. "I'll probably get myself killed, but I'm in the mood for a hunt." Georgi grabs three others. "I want you to follow me." He grabs four others. "I want two of you to cover the left flank..along the ridges, and the other two to cover the right side."

Georgi leads the remaining three members a little way into the ravine until he sees a good place for an ambush. After setting up the ambush, Georgi makes sure that the teams on the flanks have everyone covered. One, of the two on each flank watches the ambush. The other watches the team on the other side of the ravine. Linda and her teammate, keep watch over the other groups.

"Everyone, hold your positions." Georgi moves foreward, alone to flush out the sarge. His keen senses were alert to any sounds that should not be there. he himself, moved slowly and deliberately, staying under cover. He looked for small branches and shrubs to utilize as camoflage. "Everyone, stay alert. If you see him, yell "contact"', fire, and give the direction."

"Roger." came back the uniform acknowledgement. On the open frequency he could already hear several of the squads start infighting. Mock exploshions and gunfire filled the comm, and there seemed to be no way to turn it off.

There were no trees or shrubs, just dirt rocks and boulders. In the distance there was a shimmer of light, then nothing and both Fred and Issac disappeared from the Team location radar.

Georgin had only seconds to react.

(tactics roll and follow it with any other rolls applicable. All non-combat rolls are difficulty 12 unless otherwise stated.)

Something shimmered in the distance, it might be someone who was camoflaged. Georgi wondered if he should take the shot, or seek cover and alert all positions. Georgi decided that he had already been compromised, so with lightning speed, he lifted his rifle and fired at the distant target.

After firing, he yelled through the com. "Contact, 12:00 @ 1000 meters!"

Tactics roll: 12 [Military Science 3, Mind]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528657/

Initiative: 30 Critical success! [ACV, Lightning Reflexes 2, Superspeed 1]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528650/

Attack 1: 12 [ACV, Blindshooting, Total Attack, Long Range Penalty]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528662/

Extra Action: alert others of contact with hostile, and seek cover if possible.

Defense 1 & 2: 9, 11[DCV, Total Attack penalty, Extra Defense]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528666/

The shot went wide and the squad reacted to the warning pretty well. The gun spoke four times and three members of the squad got splattered with paint in fatal zones. The last shot impacted squarely in Georgi's chestplate. Over the com he heard "Nice try, wrong place for that tactic, maybe next time." The flicker vanished and he heard trhe crack of the gun a great deal of times more. Eventually the gun stopped and The Seargeant came up to him. "End Exercise, Dimension out."

He pulled off his helmet as the room returned to normal just as the all-hands com toned. Murrue Ramius began to speak.

"Attention All Satoshi Personnel, Today at Seventeen Twenty hours, Lieutenant Saito Murazaki was killed in an unknown deuterra phenomenon. Saito is the latest in a long list of our Officers, of our friends who has died in this... Civil War. Tomorrow we will have Services for him, as well as all the other officers who have fallen, and all the people who have been slain in our fight to be free of the tyranny of Takashi and his Captains. I ask that everyone think kindly on those who have fallen and remember what they died fighting for."

What?!! Georgi was stunned by the news. He knew Saito. He could still see him sitting in class and joking with other students. I have to know what happened. I have to know.

Georgi knew that soldiers mourned for the dead when the battle was done. They didn't do it while they were on the battle field, because a distraction like that led to further deaths. Georgi would honor Saito later.

There was unfinished business. The sergeant was unscathed after one round. Georgi would succeed, even if it meant that he had to forego sleep.

The Seargeant looked down. "Calisthenics for an hour then a twenty-five click run around the compound in full kit. The real stuff, it's time to get you kids used to the real thing."

His whole demeanor had changed and he frowned. "Computer Base simulation one full size with room to run. Simulation activate."

The world shimmered and became a replica of Luna base. "Get your asses moving or so help me I'll make it fifty klicks."

The teams all began moving and Linda laid a hand on Georgi's arm. "Come on. It's best to leave him, we have our orders, We have to get our real equipment."

"Alright, lets go," Georgi headed out with Linda to get the real equipment. He would learn what happened to Saito later. For now, there was some nice leisurely running to do. He knew that it would not be easy, but Georgi was not exactly human anymore.

The training was intense. Carrying 200 kg worth of battlesuit and equipment was never an easy thing. Add the advanced Calisthenics, and the fact that the Seargeant never seemed to even break a sweat as he ran with them, going through each exercise with twice the weight, twice the precision.

It was daunting and an inspiration all in one. Finally at ten pm he called an end to the training. "Alright recruits, Fall out for the day. Everyone is to meet at The Grand Hall in full Cadet Dress uniform at oh-eight thirty. Dismissed!"

He walked over to Georgi and smiled as he could see even Georgi was slightly strained at the exertion of the day. "It ain't no cakewalk, but once I take the limiters out of that monster, you'll almost be able to juggle tanks and sidestep bullets. problem is, you could damn near kill yourself just as easy. That's why I put limiters in the suit when Ryoma asked for one. I knew he never trained in it. You did damn well today Georgi, damn well." He looks over and sees Amane standing in the door in her red tanktop and black shorts.

"Just goes to show, she could have easily been the top fashion model on the planet, as opposed to being a trooper and Mechjock for Satoshi. But she chose this life, chose to lay it on the line... And for that I'll always be proud of her."

He smiles. "She ain't here lookin for me Georgi, better go over there and get her before one of these young turks gets up the nerve to steal her away."

She's here for me?! His heart raced as if he'd run another 20 km. He thanked the Sergeant with a handshake, and before he turned towards Amane, he said. "I will be there at 0830 tomorrow morning with the rest of the cadets. My dress uniform is back on the surace in a closet in my apartment. So unless I can get to the surface between now and the morning, everyone will have to deal with me 'as is'."

When the sergeant walked away, Georgi took a deep breath to collect himself. He turned and walked towards Amane. The past several days had been so busy and vilent, that he had almost forgotten about his feelings towards her. That was the price of being a soldier; you had a job to do, and all other considerations were secondary...even your own life. He supposed that Amane felt the same way.

"Hi," he said to Amane with a big smile. "I didn't expect to see you here. The sergeant doesn't give anyone much of a chance to do anything but train. And the past few days have been anything but relaxing." He tried to keep his eyes focused on her face and eyes, rather than having them wander to other areas of her body. "But, I'm glad you came." I was worried I'd never get a chance to see you again.

I just told Lily to go get some rest, Yua took off awhile ago. I figured I could show you to the showers since you haven't been on base before and then show you to the barracks." She looks around noting how all the cadets are trying not to get caught looking at her talk to one of their own.

"Besides, I already endured this training, and I know how hard the Seargeant can be. I always make a point of checking up on the new recruits, though in this case I'm only interested in one recruit in particular." Her voice had dropped to an almost husky pur as she spoke. "So just how many times did he get you? What are your impressions of how things are done?"

"We only ran through one combat scenario, and I managed to get off a shot before he turned towards me and took me out." Georgi wanted to get her out of there, before he had to answer a million questions the next time he worked with the cadets. "He is an excellent soldier."

He smiled at Amane and offered her his arm. "If you would lead the way, I need to wash off 25 clicks of sweat." As they began walking towards the barracks and the showers, he spoke confidently, but with a hint of mischeif. "I would enjoy comparing notes regarding the sergeant's tactics. Over dinner perhapse?" The tone of is voice said that he didn't just want to talk about the sergeant, but about her.

"The Seargeant is one of the most formidable humans to ever walk the earth." She chuckles and takes his arm. "Come on then, I still feel soiled after killing those invaders in the sim. I know things aren't really there but that doesn't make me not feel dirty, especially after what I let Yua See."

She looks at him and shakes her head. "No dinner tonight, it's already past ten. Though tomorrow after the services and likely the training to follow, we can I think I'm going to have him call and end to things at six pm tomorrow. We can have our little date then." Her smile radiates mischief and for a moment, Georgi can see what the Seargeant was saying earlier.

She leads him to the showers and smiles. "We part ways here for a bit, The Men's stall is down there, I'll be over in the Women's. They have Towels and Robes for afterwords. Now hurry and get cleaned up, I'll be waiting for you." She carresses his arm lightly as she lets go and goes into the women's section, humming an indistinct song.

She is really beautiful. I don't even deserve to be in the same room with a woman like that. He couldn't remember ever seeing a more alluring female soldier than Amane. She surpassed the Russian women he was accustomed to working around.

The hot shower melted away the tension. At least physically. Amane made him quake nervously like a Mexican chiuahua hopped up on caffein. Focusing on tomorrow, and the memorial for Saito and the others, helped relax him. He tried not to remember that Amane would be waiting for him when he was cleaned up.

Dressed in a white robe, Georgi hesitated when he got to the exit. Amane was out there, he could smell her. She was there for him. Why me! he thought, as he resisted the urge to flee. He took a deep breath as he readied himself to walk outside. I am a soldier. I have never run from a fight while I still have the means to fight. He chuckled at the thought, as he exited the stalls, and glimpsed Amane. She might prove to be the most difficult battle yet.

Amane smiled. "You clean up nice when given the time." Together they walked to the officer's mess. The chat was pleasant and the food suprisingly good.

Amane let Georgi walk her to her room and turned to him. "Well that's just about it for tonight." She leans into him, her smile utterly mischievous. "Just one more thing." She leans in and her arms wrap around him in a tender embrace. Shewhispers softly into his ear.

"Just stay safe. I don't want to lose anyone else important to me."

In an instant she was gone, though the door had never opened.

Archived