Aberrant: 2011 - Umm... New Guy Here...

Jaunt

So, I signed up and everything. I'm a nova, I think. I mean I'm pretty sure, but it's not going like it's supposed to. Couple months ago I was hit by a car. The Doc said I wasn't hit that hard, but I slipped into a coma for six weeks. I kept dreaming that I would save my sister's life.

Then I saved my sisters life recenty, which was pretty cool of me, especially since she still owes me fifty bucks for paying for her half of our parent's Christmas present.

Where's the headaches? The explosions? The world shaking power pulsing through my brain? All I feel is the urge to pound down a Big Mac.

Anyway, is there any possible way to hide this? Just in case? Cuz if my dad finds out I'm a nova I'm in big trouble. There is nothing noticable about it, except for me being about as ripped as any teenage guy could hope for among other things (okay, so that part isn't so bad... now to get a girlfriend smirk ).

Will I show up on radar? Will I set off alarms or stuff? I can't 'shut off' like it said on this OpNet page, does that mean everyone that looks at me will know I'm a nova?

Man, I hope not.

Oh, and hello.

Crap, that sounds like precognition. That can be both a blessing and a curse.

Don't fall for the celebrity bait and just keep a low profile as possible. Get smart about how to use the information you get. Make money, but not to much. And for fuck's sake, don't post too much information about yourself online, even if this is a "secure" site. If you have to talk to people, try to get a feel for them before you PM them any info.

As far as alarms: nothing I know available publicly, but if you don't feel like having an eufiber harness thrown over your shoulders and being made to plow for the commonweal, stay away from Project Utopia. Precognition can be a power that's too damn useful for it's own good, if you get what I mean. Your dad will be the least of your problems.

Other than that, welcome to the boards. As far as I can tell, the people here are generally solid. Just keep your mouth shut, so to speak, and be cool, and you'll do okay. Being a nova does have its benefits, so enjoy them. smile

Quote:
Why would your Dad not be happy with you being a nova?

Well, I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea, he's not a racist or anything, but he doesn't like novas. In the line of work my dad's in a 'bad' nova cost my dad his reputation and a security contract that was worth literally millions.

He is wise enough to know that there are bad people, and good people in the world but when it comes to novas he feels you're all, pardon, we're all to busy making money off our powers and living like kings to give two farts about the Working Class Joe. At any rate, he never has anything nice to say about novas who make the news.

Not that I can't agree, most 'municipal defenders' are pretty sorry at their jobs.

Quote:
Crap, that sounds like precognition.

I'm not an idiot, but what exactly is precognition?

It's only happened once.

Precognition means you know about something well in advance of it happening. Unlike "deja vu", where it's basically a brain fart, in the case of precognition, it's accurate. Repeatedly accurate. It means you can actually see into the future a bit. And its usually about stuff you'd otherwise have no way of knowing about.

It has positives, but if the wrong people find out you have it, it can be bad news.

And the more your node develops, the more often it can happen. Keep a dream journal.

Originally Posted By: Jaunt
He is wise enough to know that there are bad people, and good people in the world but when it comes to novas he feels you're all, pardon, we're all to busy making money off our powers and living like kings to give two farts about the Working Class Joe. At any rate, he never has anything nice to say about novas who make the news.

I imagine your Dad and I might not get along then, but I grew up lower middle class myself and worked for the money I have. Sorry for his bad fortune though.

Not that I can't agree, most 'municipal defenders' are pretty sorry at their jobs.

Jaunt, what would constitute them doing a good job? Seriously, most of the public expects miracles and you should know by now novas, all novas, have limitations.

I'm not an idiot, but what exactly is precognition?

It's only happened once.

I called up a Rashould facility and asked. Its the ability to gain glimpses into the future, usually only hours or days. They suggest finding an object, or person and concentrate on them. I hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: Evan-Happy Scientist
Jaunt, you should go to your closest Rashoud Faciltiy. If transport is a problem, they can have a Intervention team pick you up. Project Utopia can help with your adjustment with this new state and help lay out your options. I work with the Project and they've done alright by me. Give it a chance.

Uh, yeah, because that couldn't possibly arouse his dad's curiosity in the least. I've seen Intervention Teams, and they're about as subtle as the Ghostbusters company vehicle. You do realize this kid will still probably need a place to live after Utopia tags and bags him, right?

*sigh*

Originally Posted By: Hero
Hey Jaunt. Any ideas yet on what you plan to do ... like school, some job, or what?

I'm not an official Municipal Defender, but I do help out in Los Angles a bunch. The work needs to be done and its all the food I can eat!

I go to school still, I’m not brilliant by any means, but I’m one of those lucky students who is unpopular, gets beat up a lot, no one asks out, and is generally ignored… so I’m left with plenty of time to study.

I quit gymnastics recently. I could feel something was not right… oh, yeah it was the 45 foot horizontal leap I made across one of the irrigation ponds… yeah, that was it. And I wasn’t even running.

Anyway, I quit because while I may be able to ‘blend’ and no one knows… it’s not fair to take advantage of the rules. I have super powers, other teams don’t. It would be disrespectful to the sport and my peers if I continued to ‘fake’ it in order to help us win.

I have a part time job at the Pizza Pit. I deliver for a few hours four nights a week. It’s not much, but people around here tip well.

Originally Posted By: Emerald
You save the girl ...

... see the future ...

... and eat fast food!

Two out of three isn't bad. We should meet!

Wait ... how old are you?

16, but it’s okay, meeting me wouldn’t be all that exciting anyway. I’m a pretty boring guy, five minutes here and you’d hop back in your car and zoom zoom zoom outta here.

You probably have better things to do with your time, and actually I know you do. There is nothing in my part of the world.

Originally Posted By: MisterE
Hey Jaunt. What are you looking for from here?

Uh, nothing I guess. I mean, this is just a place for people to hang out and talk right?

Originally Posted By: Paramancer
Uh, yeah, because that couldn't possibly arouse his dad's curiosity in the least. I've seen Intervention Teams, and they're about as subtle as the Ghostbusters company vehicle. You do realize this kid will still probably need a place to live after Utopia tags and bags him, right?

*sigh*

This guy has the right idea Evan. Sure, he looks like a Picasso exploded all over him, but he’s right. My dad would fudge his undies when PU showed up. I hate to keep lying to him, but I can’t tell him, not yet.

Welcome, Jaunt! Always nice to see a friendly face around here, if you'll excuse the expression. laugh

Most of the people here are great, and it shouldn't take you long to figure out who you'll get along with, and who you won't.

As far as advice goes... If you don't look different, or behave differently, there's no reason your family, or anyone else, would know you were a nova. It's a shame that you can't tell your family, but since you're so young I can completely understand. Teenagers have enough problems with getting respect and rights as it is, without the issue of being a nova on top of it. Maybe if you could convince your dad that novas aren't all pompous, money-grubbing asshats, he'd be more open to the idea that you're one of them. ...Or, if he knew you were a nova, maybe he'd stop thinking that novas are all pompous, money-grubbing asshats. smile Just a thought.

Anyway, welcome!

Yeah, the thought occured to me, so I've been slipping in small questions and what not at the dinner table. So far, no luck.

"Dad, what if one of us erupted tomorrow, would you hate us too?"

"Of course not son, but you'd have to sleep in the shed."

I don't wanna sleep in the shed! eek

Hey Jaunt! Welcome to our little corner of the Opnet, I hope you find it interesting.

Concerning your Dad: He might take it better than you expect, or he might not. Is there another more accepting member of your family, an uncle, a brother, your mother even, that you could tell beforehand and ask about your father's likely reaction? Or even break it to him for you, so you won't be in the blast radius.

Concerning Project Utopia: Not sure about them. They seemed to do fine by me, but I'm only one nova. Paramancer's a Terat and Evan's a Utopian - both probably have a slightly biased viewpoint.

Hi Jaunt. I know exactly where you are dude. Seriously. My parents know about me being a Nova but my mom can't stand it and none of my extended family (who live very close by) know. No one outside my house knows except for you guys here and Utopia. Even my mom's new fiance doesn't know. I spend the majority of my time dormed down.

As for Utopia, I wouldn't put too much stock in what Paramancer says. My caseworker has always been accomodating and discreet regarding my monthly check-ups. When he visits the house he's usually wearing jeans and a tee shirt or something like that.

I'm sure if you really wanted to go to a Rashoud Facility and called and explained your situation they would respect your needs. They did with me.

Anyways, good luck. If you wanna talk let me know.

Archived