Aberrant: 2011 - What's wrong with being Super?

Medianoche

Let's get the chuckles out of the way:

I'm finished with my time in the Rashoud Clinic and looking forward to something to do. I don't want to be part of Project Utopia, or any established police force, but I want to help change the world for the better. I want to make a difference.

I am thinking about gathering a small group of novas together and see what we can do. Can a group of novas working together make a difference for the world at large? I think so.

Anyone else interested?

Originally Posted By: Medianoche
I'm finished with my time in the Rashoud Clinic and looking forward to something to do. I don't want to be part of Project Utopia, or any established police force, but I want to help change the world for the better. I want to make a difference.

I am thinking about gathering a small group of novas together and see what we can do. Can a group of novas working together make a difference for the world at large? I think so.

Anyone else interested?

Worked for the Teragen, it could work for you! Good luck! grin

Thanks. I've read what little is available about the Teragen's founding (there's not much) and it was inspirational. My problem with Project Utopia is that they are a corporation, and they behave like one. I want to be part of something different - something better.

I want to be part of something different - something better.

You've caught me in a bit of a queer mood, Medianoche. smile So tell me, what do you have in mind? What sort of organization are you talking about? What focus would you have? What agenda? What sort of novas are you looking for?

I don't have any pre-concieved notion, beyond not being interested in World Domination. I think the founding members should get together and decide on how things are organized and what the agenda should be and how it should focus its energies. I'm not looking for any type of novas in particular. Part of figuring out what we can do depends on what we can do, right?

I suppose that's true, and while your inclusionary ideas are a good way to attract the most people, surely there are some people whose goals and methods simply do not exist well alongside your own. And besides, unless forming this kind of group is the end unto itself, you must have some idea of what you want to do, right? confused

Step 1:

Form an organization of Nova's

Step 2:

... ? ...

Step 3:

Profit

Project Utopia, albeit a corporation, does more good for the world than any other organization in history has, ever. The endless resources make it able to help even the most withdrawn countries in times of need. They don't primarily focus on selling things, as I picked up from your throw-away attitude about Project Utopia. Anything you can think of, I can promise you that Project Utopia is already doing it, and doing it better. Now this is NOT my saying that you shouldn't go ahead with your little club of chaotic good Nova's, but this is my way of saying that Project Utopia has it covered.

Basically you're saying you'd like to get a bunch of novas together from all walks of life with no specific target philosophy or goal, and see what they want. I wonder how that's gonna turn out?

Hmm...

Nope. No idea. Have at it smile

Troy, Project Utopia is everywhere, trying to do everything. What I want to explore is a small group of novas being able to say "This is a problem I care about" and acting upon it. With PU, you novas get spread out everywhere and constantly reassigned with someone else deciding were your abilities are best used. Its a well-intentioned corporation and you are an asset.

Drew, is there no problem on earth you want to do something about, but you don't have the ability to deal with? Could a small group of novas make a difference working on this problem? That's what I'm aiming for.

We don't have to all agree that problem X is the keystone problem, only that we can all agree that working together is the best solution to our problems/concerns.

Drew, is there no problem on earth you want to do something about, but you don't have the ability to deal with? Could a small group of novas make a difference working on this problem? That's what I'm aiming for.

We don't have to all agree that problem X is the keystone problem, only that we can all agree that working together is the best solution to our problems/concerns.

Project Utopia is also very well funded. Remember, even charity work costs someone, something. I'm interested in hearing your proposal.

I'm always willing to help make a difference, providing it's a difference worth making. This should be for the people's benefit, not us novas.

For those interested, I'll open up my boardroom for the meeting site for you to disscuss exactly what it is you plan on doing.

However, I remain skeptical of sword wielding novas...

Originally Posted By: LiberTeen
I suppose that's true, and while your inclusionary ideas are a good way to attract the most people, surely there are some people whose goals and methods simply do not exist well alongside your own. And besides, unless forming this kind of group is the end unto itself, you must have some idea of what you want to do, right? confused

grin Being inclusionary hasn't netted me too many people yet.

The group is not an end unto itself, but something I think will be a crucible of ideas and motivations. Maybe I'm inspired. Maybe I'm delusional.

I don't want to be working with casual killers, or career criminals. I'm not all that worried about those who have shady, dark pasts. We've all done things we aren't necessarily proud of, but we can do things that move us beyond that. This could be a good first step, or a precious second chance.

So... would we like, get paid for this or something? Because I give back to the poor people all the time by, you know, going to malls an stuff and letting them look at how completely hot I am and I even let a few of them carry my bags an stuff.

So far none of them think it's fair that they have to pay for looking at me, or carrying my bags but I totally disagree. I make them look better just by letting them be seen with me, that's a public service you know, and public service workers get paid to do what they do.

So, yeah. If there's a check involved you could soooo count me in. I'll need something to do when I quit Utopia anyway.

I am thinking about gathering a small group of novas together and see what we can do. Can smilea group of novas working together make a difference for the world at large smile ? I think so.

Anyone else interested?

Summer, I didn't mention a paycheck anywhere. Its about making a difference in the world, but not one mall at a time. Honestly, since you only care about yourself you wouldn't be interested.

Oooorrr.... It's telling other people that you're willing to help them. Things like peace, good health, and prosperity without some tyrannical overlord forcing you to submit to their whims are in everyone's best interests.

Besides. It's not like he's looking to form a militaristic group of Happiness-enforcers. If their assistance isn't welcome, I'm pretty sure they'll back off.

Geez. Some of you people will look for any excuse to start an argument or kick dirt in someone's face for trying to do something good. If you don't like it, don't join- just sit at home, watch your Op-casts, and wallow in self-indulgence and conceit.

Guest Brother Maynard

No matter where you go demon, we will be there to abolish the lies and evil works that you do! We shall not permit you to seduce the world with your tainted souls and blasphemous hearts!

It will not happen freaks! The world will stand unified under the banner of our Lord to right the wrongs you and your kind have wrought for the last decade!

Return the fires of damnation, where you belong!

Originally Posted By: Brother Maynard
No matter where you go demon, we will be there to abolish the lies and evil works that you do! We shall not permit you to seduce the world with your tainted souls and blasphemous hearts!

It will not happen freaks! The world will stand unified under the banner of our Lord to right the wrongs you and your kind have wrought for the last decade!

Return the fires of damnation, where you belong!

Who the hell pissed in your cornflakes dude?

Medianoche:

Ignoring the gimp for the moment, let's say you do get around to forming this group. I'm all for groups, provided everyone's getting out of it what they want.

But I'm going to tell you: if you try tackling problems, big problems, you'll sooner or later run afoul of PU or The Directive. They don't give a shit about good intentions: they have their own agendas, and anything that even looks like it could conflict with that, even theoretically in a down-the-road way, will be a Bad Thing in their eyes, and they'll go after you.

And there's no law that says they have to announce that beforehand. PU might, might, give you the courtesy of a warning shot over the deck, but The Directive won't, and there are plenty of nova-hate groups and self-hating novas who won't, either. And just because it's disorganized and pathetic doesn't mean it's not dangerous. They might come at you in ways you won't suspect, and there's even a good chance of getting a mole in your ranks.

Paranoid, you say? Doesn't mean they won't be out to get you. There are plenty of people to whom if you're not a commodity, you're a threat. Keep that in mind.

I won't join, because I have other commitments. But if you need help, I'll do what I can. Just don't try to screw me over.

Very funny, Primal. Could you turn off the Op-cam next time, please? Not all of us need to know how you spend 90% of your time. (I know, that percentage seems a bit low, but I do have to allow for things like sleeping and eating, right?)

grin

Have a wonderful day, big guy.

I don't want to be working with casual killers, or career criminals. I'm not all that worried about those who have shady, dark pasts. We've all done things we aren't necessarily proud of, but we can do things that move us beyond that. This could be a good first step, or a precious second chance.

It's an interesting idea, Medianoche. I'd be willing to at least attend a meeting and see what kind of group you're putting together. After all, my sphere of influence is a little small and a little narrow for what I want to do, and joining up with a less dogmatically-minded, smaller organization might allow me a mixing of interests that would put me in a position to better accomplish my ends. So as long as you don't find the prospect of having someone like me on your team frightening, I'm willing to give it a chance and see what develops. smile

For the longest time, I have always felt that people are at their best when they help themselves. That was until the Great LA quake a few months ago. After the quake, I was put in a position where I had to help others. It changed my perspective. Sometimes, people do need help. We are extraordinary individuals with the capability to help. So why not.

I think what you propose is a great experiment in altruism. I would like to lend my skills towards your endeavor.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived