Aberrant: 2011 - Question about some Luck Extras [Vote?]

Anateus

Extra: Reflexive

If the nova is in a tight situation and doesn't realize it, this Extra means that the Luck does, and activates to get him out of a jam he doesn't realize he's in. If he's already committed all his Luck...too bad.

Extra: Jackpot

Some novas with Luck push it...and then some give it a quantum-fueled shove. With this Extra, if the nova spends one point of quantum per Luck die being activated, those Luck dice turn into Mega-Dice. They add successes as dice in combat situations, or straight successes for use out of combat.

Fate gets real testy when the nova does this, however, and if no successes are rolled on the Luck roll (and any dice rolled come up 1-4), it's treated as a botch, and the character is treated as the Storyteller's chew toy for the rest of the scene, and no Luck rolls can be made during the next scene.

For those wondering, yes I am thinking about a Luck-themed character. wink

I vote yes on Relfexive. Its fully within the powers perview.

I vote no on Jackpot, because the pay-off way outweighs the possible side-effect. Its a cool idea, because a Luck-based character is kind of cool, but we have to work with the base Luck power the game gives us, which is kind of week.

I'm not sure how to do it. Luck is a pretty limited power and I think that is very deliberate. I feel this is a problem you are having with the game and not something that an Extra can get around.

The botch, in a narrative setting, isn't much of a limitation, or at least not one to scare off too many people.

What if Jackpot just added the nova's Quantum score to the Luck roll?

For a quantum point per dot in Luck, the Luck with the Jackpot adds Quantum to the roll (Quantum + Luck), other than that, it's the same as regular Luck. If no successes are rolled, and any die comes up 1-3, it's a botch.

Originally Posted By: Ravenshire
How about 1q per per extra die up to the the lesser of the user's Quantum score, or his level in Luck? I think that would be more acceptable.

Luck Extra: High Roller

By spending 1 quantum point up to either the nova's Quantum or Luck score, whichever is lower, the nova can add his Quantum score to his Luck rolls. However, if he botches the roll, any dice that come up 1-3 will net the nova a temporary Taint, as well as a rash of bad luck for this scene. Other than these rules, Luck operates as it usually does.

Better?

Originally Posted By: Long Pig Johnny
There are no STs here. Anything with an ST based result is therefore bogus.

The man has a point. Seconded, because "a rash of bad luck" isn't quantifiable without a ST. That sort of negative repercussion can't be the duty of the player to resolve.

Originally Posted By: Seph OOC
Originally Posted By: Long Pig Johnny
There are no STs here. Anything with an ST based result is therefore bogus.

The man has a point. Seconded, because "a rash of bad luck" isn't quantifiable without a ST. That sort of negative repercussion can't be the duty of the player to resolve.

Any suggestions? Or am I stuck with the Luck/Probability Control combo if I want a character?

RE: Extra: Reflexive

It's pointless. Luck is already a perm power and as such is always on. It's like taking Armor or INV with Reflexive.

RE: Jackpot

Too powerful, and also not needed. If you want to use Mega-Dex defined as Luck then just buy Mega-Dex defined as luck.

RE: High Roller

LPJ is correct. And it's probably too powerful (see also the other Q1 L1 powers). Luck is already fairly powerful and doesn't need the addition. If you want to have 6 to 10 dice in luck then just buy a Q6-10.

And yes, I know what that entails, the point is getting that many dots in a power is supposed to be hard.

Archived