Aberrant: Nova Reality - Intervention [Complete]

Cade

He looked around the table and smiled. "Since we're all laying it out here right now, If any of you have an idea on how we can make things run more smoothely, on how we can better serve and protect the people we've sworn to, now's the time to speak up."

"I know where you're coming from Jager, but we're still bound by the laws of this city. Those laws are simple in that it reqires all law enforcemnt agencies," He looked around at the table meeting each member's eyes. "That's us by the way, in case you're not following along, to have attended and passed training at an academy."

"I understand that you want this to be a bastion for nova volunteers, but there is no reason for our volunteers to be incompetent." He motioned to Clark. "Granted we all fill our niche, like Clark by far isn't as good in a scrap as I am, but rest assured if the shit hit the fan we need her skilled, and up to speed on tactics that are approprite for a person in her postion, Keeper of the Peace in this case, to know. None of us are a one man army." He shrugged. "Well, except for you Jagerbomb, but as you've proven to us already you can up and leave us hanging on a moment's notice, but I'm talking about the more reliable members of the Knights here. I need to know Clark can handle herself if she ever needs to cover my back and if she can't trust me to do the same, we're certainly of no use to each other or the people of this city."

"Volunteer Fire Figthers are not told 'learning to put out a fire is optional, here's a desk and a badge, let us know if you need anything!' They go through the same dirt the rest of the full timers do. And so should we."

Jager look non-plussed as Revenant speaks.

"We are not volunteer fire-fighters, nor standard Municipal Defenders,"

"I was away assisting international law enforcement in attempting to apprehend a fugitive,"

"and the only person here in this room that is untrained for the tasks the Knights are asked to perform is you."

"As for what other members of the Knights and what they can do; that's usually the job of the leader to know and assign accordingly. You have also always had the option of just asking. Its not like we are a huge, or overly formal organization."

"This is getting us no where," Sean said, standing up and pressing both fists to the table. "Cade's made pretty clear that training will be assigned based on need, and that we'll be assessed to see if we need that training. I'm sure we'll recieve a certificate if we can test-out of the training.

"I took some while Sandcaster was here," he added, "mostly from her encouragement. I'll take whatever else I need to, as will we all. Those we can test out of, we don't have to take. I won't be - I don't mind learning something new. Honestly," he finished, glancing around the room, "I don't know why we're even discussing this, beyond Reven's rant. And it's clear that we're all willing to do it. We just need to be told what to take.

"Are we done now?"

"This is pointless Jager, you're not listening," Revenant slid his hands into the pockets of his duster. "You're just waiting to talk."

The grim nova shook his head. "I'm talking about all of us making an effort to be more involved, not only with our jobs but with the community we signed on to protect." His chest heaved a bit like he was chuckling silently to himself.

"Fuck it, it's pointless. You're. Not. Listening." Something soared trough the room and slid onto the table, spinning in front of Cade. "I'm done. I can't take this anymore. I risk my ass out there getting shot up, beat down, and tackled through walls and the best my 'leader' can offer up when I say I want more competent people guarding my back is: 'it's for the leader to know and assign accordingly.' Assign away Jager, just do it with out me. This team is petty and pathetic and its leadership is weak."

As Revenant's badge spun still in front of Cade the Angel of Death's heavy foot falls were heard echoing down the hall as the door to the meeting room slowly closed on it's own.

Sean sighed through his nose. "I guess we are," he said, pulling his badge out of his pocket and looking at it. He tossed it to Cade with only a touch of regret. "Sorry, but Reven was the reason I managed to keep from going nuts here after Sandcaster left. It's just... one of those things, ya know? What keeps you able to work somewhere. I'll see you guys around."

He turned and walked to the door; pausing, he turned back and said, "I have no hard feelings, but if any of you tell Reven why I quit, I'll kill you, with cheer and a song in my heart." He smiled. "I'll need a couple of days to get my shit out of here, ok?"

The door closed just as omniously as it had for Revenant.

In the hallway, Sean pulled out his phone and dialed a number. A big smile creased his face when it was answered, and he said, "Hey, Sandcaster, you'll never guess what I just did..."

Revenant's departure was expected and welcome. Jager knew he wouldn't miss anything about him. There had been an effort to not show him the door, but he was gone now, for the better.

Sean's betrayal was not unexpected, but still was sad. The man had been quitting on everything for longer than he had been a nova. Jager had hoped he had found something here to work for besides hanging out with a fellow rebel, but such was the case.

Jager turned, looking toward Cade and shrugged.

"We've been here before and survived. We will just have to see what we can do about increasing membership once again."

To Stormwarden,

"I know you only came here for the crisis and I'm sure your presence here is appreciated. I think we understand that you have a life to get back to once the trouble with the Lakota has passed. No hard feelings."

"Thank you", Stormwarden replied, somewhat grimly. She had nothing else to say.

Jager's look toward Vali and Clark was unfathomable. Here, he hadn't much he could say. They would have to make their own decision.

Cade sat there with probably the darkest look the team had ever seen on his face. "We will go forward, as we always do." He looks at each of the remaining team members. "We need each of you to make this work. Losing Sean and Revenant weakens us considerably."

He looks to Stormwarden. "You and I didn't say goodbye on a good note the last time you were here. For what it's worth I'm sorry my revelation upset Sandcaster as it did. I appreciate you lending your strength now for the duration of this. Thank you."

He looks to Vali and Clark. "Part of me rails against ever putting either of you in any sort of harm. You represent the future, but I'm going to have to ask both of you to take on more responsibility and duties. I will do everything in my power to keep from disrupting your family life, But I have to tell you now, the road ahead won't be easy."

He looks to Jager. "Welcome back to the madhouse Jager. I hope you're ready for it, because we're all going to have to work harder than we have before."

With that he nodded. "If there's nothing else, enjoy your day off, it's likely the last one any of us will get for awhile."

Archived