Aberrant: 2011 - Moved 40 miles to another planet.

Catalyst

Oh I am loving my new place. I am loving the new feel. Oh it is another world. Sure i used to come over the hill all the time, but I am just well more emerged now.I love it. The people are just awesome. They are so themselves. no need to pretend. I think.

Anyway just wanted to tell you all that Santa Cruz is a damned fine place. UCSC is in the middle of the woods.I really mean that, there are deer, bob cats and even a few mountain lion need by.

It is just such a lovely place.

Well, yes, but...

I hear that place "X" doesn't like novas and kicks them out or enslaves them. I hear that there's a nasty war in place "Y", or that T2M is making a show of force.

California's problems are (I hear) self inflicted. Power prices suck, but it's because of regulations and refusal to allow plants to be built. Everyone moves there and now it has over crowding. That sort of thing.

How do they manage to delibrately shoot themselves in the foot all the time and still be top dog?

I am curious. Were I am, most people talk about Japan being the land of promise. Young kids want to go to Mumbai and make their livings in the movies. Usually it is some belief that life will be better for them somewhere besides were they are.

Is it like this for California too?

Originally Posted By: Josh Brickman
How do they manage to delibrately shoot themselves in the foot all the time and still be top dog?

California's resources and commerce makes it so wealthy that it only takes a small percentage of the population for it to work. The other 95% are like spoiled children, who want all the benefits of a modern society, but don't want to see, hear or smell the powerplant in their backyard.

So, out of one side of their mouths, they gripe that others have failed them , and out of the other side, they fight the solution because it might inconvenience them..

Yet fighting those immediate solutions has earned us Californians effective solar power for our homes, hypercombustion hybrid cars, wind farms, and so much more in the way of clean alternative energy systems. We can be a bit unrealistic at times, but this also drives us to seek out what hasn't been done yet. That makes the world a better place.

To list out another one of my home state's sins - Water usage. Boy we need to find better ways to use the water we have and not to take so much from others, environment included.

Um, not to b rude but I think this thread lost my point. I am still in California. I moved from San Jose...A city in California. To Santa Cruz a smaller city in California. They are nothing a like and I like them both.

There is no Californian way. We have areas that do not flow with the crowd, and most of them do it in their own way. The people are so non conforming that they will conform to a stereotype so they are conforming to the idea that no one conforms.

Santa Cruz is the most laid back place I have been to that hates loud music. It will gladly let you smoke pot over tobacco it seems. Your right to be anything you as long you let everyone else be what they want. It is just Santa Cruz.

Archived