Aberrant RPG - Help for a new Aberrant DM

I was interested in starting an Aberrant game. I was intrigued by Aberrant and its value in terms of mystery and conspiracy theory. It's like Oliver Stone meets Steve Englehart.

I bought tons of Aberrant stuff used when my game store broke down, but I never looked at it again until a friend mentioned to me the idea of doing a LOST-style game. Not necessarily something set on an island, but something with that kind of storytelling, which is pretty much made for RPGs, with questions leading to more questions and answers being cheap in the coming.

I do have a few questions that perhaps some more experienced DMs, or people with access to more books, might be able to help me with. Some of these are probably in supplements I don't own:

Who, exactly, is Chiraben? What's known about him?

The PROJECT: UTOPIA supplement explains what "Midnight Sun" is, but does any game supplement reveal exactly how that one T2M nova died "terraforming?"

What's up with the Terragen and Taint? There are hints in other places that the Terragen know something special about Taint, that they can reduce it somehow. Alas, I don't own the TERRAGEN book.

What is the deal with Divis Mal and his connection to the Aeon Society? Is it ever explained? The ABERRANTS mini-book has Kimberly Dame mention that she heard "Aeon Society" and "Divis Mal" previously. Is Divis Mal connected to the Galatea incident? Why is it that the Aeon Society is hiding knowledge of pre-N! day novas in their Proteus archives? Who IS Max Mercer, anyway, and how does he know the future? Is Divis Mal the "extremely powerful Nova" on Earth mentioned in the PLAYER'S GUIDE that causes those with potential to become Novas instead of anything else?

I have a couple powers question, too:

One of my players had this idea for a sort of energy disc forcefield their character creates, not unlike the one wielded by BIRDMAN. The way he describes it, the force-disk is 1) unlike the Force Field Power, this one is capable of reflecting ranged attacks back; 2) the power had to be used "actively," e.g. possibly they had to "deflect" an attack with a Parry (perhaps with Melee) or somesuch to get the benefit of the soak dice.

Another wanted a sort of Quantum Tracking power, not unlike that used by Dawnstar or the Magnet, with the ability to "track" a person's general location using one of their possessions. I'm not entirely sure how to go about this, except that it might be similar to Telepathy's ability to locate a specific mind.

Originally Posted By: Platypus Prince
I was interested in starting an Aberrant game. I was intrigued by Aberrant and its value in terms of mystery and conspiracy theory. It's like Oliver Stone meets Steve Englehart.

I bought tons of Aberrant stuff used when my game store broke down, but I never looked at it again until a friend mentioned to me the idea of doing a LOST-style game. Not necessarily something set on an island, but something with that kind of storytelling, which is pretty much made for RPGs, with questions leading to more questions and answers being cheap in the coming.

I do have a few questions that perhaps some more experienced DMs, or people with access to more books, might be able to help me with. Some of these are probably in supplements I don't own:

Who, exactly, is Chiraben? What's known about him?

Chiraben is a shapeshifting assassin who works for Project Proteus, the AEON Society's wetworks/BlackOps arm that operates in secret. He's widely accepting as having been the one who murdered Jennifer Landers. He's known for his ability to take on the identities of others and hos bright, glowing green eyes.

Quote:
The PROJECT: UTOPIA supplement explains what "Midnight Sun" is, but does any game supplement reveal exactly how that one T2M nova died "terraforming?"

They never cover exactly what happened to the nova who was killed during the terraforming of A-A, but some interesting ideas are posited when a similar incident happens to another young nova during the terraforming of the Sahara that happens around 2012. A likely explanation is that he pushed his powers too hard, too fast, gained a truly unacceptable amount of taint in a short amount of time, became a danger to himself or others, and he was sent to the Bahrain prison facility with the party line saying he was "killed".

Quote:
What's up with the Terragen and Taint? There are hints in other places that the Terragen know something special about Taint, that they can reduce it somehow. Alas, I don't own the TERRAGEN book.

The Teragen doesn't know anything special about taint itself, but they've developed a long and difficult method of getting rid of it. The details of this method are best explained in the 'Teragen' book, and are pretty long, to be honest. The path involves adopting the philosophy of Teras and adopting an archetype (Portent, Marvel, Monster) that one pursues to attain enlightenment, a path that precludes a time of hibernation known as 'Chrysalis'. During Chrysalis, a nova gets to rearrange some of their taint into new powers.

Quote:
What is the deal with Divis Mal and his connection to the Aeon Society? Is it ever explained? The ABERRANTS mini-book has Kimberly Dame mention that she heard "Aeon Society" and "Divis Mal" previously. Is Divis Mal connected to the Galatea incident? Why is it that the Aeon Society is hiding knowledge of pre-N! day novas in their Proteus archives? Who IS Max Mercer, anyway, and how does he know the future? Is Divis Mal the "extremely powerful Nova" on Earth mentioned in the PLAYER'S GUIDE that causes those with potential to become Novas instead of anything else?

Divis Mal was the one-time friend of Maxwell Mercer, the founder of the AEON Society. Back during the 1920's, they fought together. Divis Mal caused N-Day. The explosion of the Galatea was actually the result of the eruption of one of the astronauts on board, it's just the story that the news jumped on. The AEON Society is definitely suppressing knowledge of novas before N-Day because they rightly assume it would freak everyone out to know that N-Day didn't have a neat, simple cause. Max Mercer is the gentleman explorer who founded the AEON Society, and while he doesn't specifically know the future, he can travel time. And yes, Divis Mal is the nova mentioned. It is explained in Worldwide; Phase I that Divis Mal is THE most powerful nova in the world.

Quote:
I have a couple powers question, too:

One of my players had this idea for a sort of energy disc forcefield their character creates, not unlike the one wielded by BIRDMAN. The way he describes it, the force-disk is 1) unlike the Force Field Power, this one is capable of reflecting ranged attacks back; 2) the power had to be used "actively," e.g. possibly they had to "deflect" an attack with a Parry (perhaps with Melee) or somesuch to get the benefit of the soak dice.

That would be the power Deflect/Redirect as detailed in the 'Teragen' sourcebook. You'll find it in the directory on this site.

Quote:
Another wanted a sort of Quantum Tracking power, not unlike that used by Dawnstar or the Magnet, with the ability to "track" a person's general location using one of their possessions. I'm not entirely sure how to go about this, except that it might be similar to Telepathy's ability to locate a specific mind.

Yeah, that would basically be Telepathy with the weakness that you need an object from the person in question. The power Psychic Link from the Players Handbook would achieve the same thing. Weaknesses and Strengths for powers are also outlined in the PHB.

Hope that could help some. And welcome.

Quote:
The Teragen doesn't know anything special about taint itself, but they've developed a long and difficult method of getting rid of it. The details of this method are best explained in the 'Teragen' book, and are pretty long, to be honest. The path involves adopting the philosophy of Teras and adopting an archetype (Portent, Marvel, Monster) that one pursues to attain enlightenment, a path that precludes a time of hibernation known as 'Chrysalis'. During Chrysalis, a nova gets to rearrange some of their taint into new powers.
The part he isn't mentioning is that instead of losing your humanity to taint, you get to lose it to Chrysalis.

The good news is that Terats can choose which aberrations they get. The bad news is because they embrase rather than reject taint, they tend to get more (however it's also worth mentioning that they have a larger tank for them)

Archived