Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Chapter 3: Animals and Relics

jameson (ST)

Raider gives what Doug has said some thought. (Puts is big mega brain to thinking if he's ever seen someone like squidward.) After considering that matter for a few minutes he will head back to where they've put Robert. Summoning his concentration and trying to remember the feeling of healing earlier he will send his quantum into the man and see if he can make any further repairs.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Gregory learns that they had ben played from the start, he is shocked. He had almost killed two strangers because of this guy. Eventually though, Gregory began to smile in admiration of their adversary's skill.

Squiddes good Gregory thought with envy. He gets us to kill each other and takes what he wants. He was still pissed that he was manipulated, but now, he no longer wanted revenge. Gregory wanted to learn.

"Alright settle down everyone. Let's take a second or two to figure this out. Let's go with what we know. Squidward's an Aberrant, and he's plenty smart. He's got a teleporter, he can read minds a bit and force his way into our minds. He knows a lot about us and he's toying with us. Either he's stupid and is doing it just to toy with us, or we still got somethin' he wants. I don't think he's stupid. He's baitin' us cause we still got somethin' and he wants us to deliver it. An' he's right here among us." Buzz waits for that to sink in.

"Think about it. He knows us, what we can do. He also knows about that ship. Why did the Canucks come here blaming us for the ship? Because it did get taken from here! Squiddy's somewhere in town, that's where he's made his base, and he might be anyone. Back in the day, Novas and Aberrants could do something called Dorming. It made them look normal, turned off their powers and made it real hard to detect their Quantum output. I think that's what he's doin'. We need to try to find the things he can't hide. We need to find KB. We need to find the ship he stole. We need to find the black box, we need to find the teleporter. We need to invent something maybe or we need to really apply some of our powers to find this sonofabitch."

"So...any ideas?"

As the others dicuss the situation at hand Raider goes back and tries to help Robert again. He does manage to activate his healing powers but they do very little, helping to aleviate the blistering some and fixing some of the burn damage. Fox suspects that his powers are just too weak to fully heal the man without another expenditure like he had back in the clearing. That or he will need to exhuast himself by doing this every few hours for the next day or so.

Raider's medical knowledge is hardly anything to scoff at but he had little experience with burns specifically and starts to wonder if they should have a local doctor look at hime for a second opinion or possibly some drugs/salves which could help Robert recover faster.

Adam calms down a little and listens to Buzz speak, trying to think over how one would go about finding someone who can dorm down. "You know Buzz ... even if Squiddie can hide his powers, he still took the ship somewhere .. so if we can find the ship, we can find him. How many places inside the walls could hide something that big without people finding out about it? That'll be a good place to start looking."

Courier says,

"I get the feeling he likes head games. As for what he wants, playing head games he managed to kill a rival or whatever."

"But there is another aspect to this. If he's *here*, then that makes KB's taking more complicated. He's not releasing her, it might be that he actually has a good use for her, and she was well known for supplying electricity."

"Buzz, how about you make a list of the 10 or so most powerful baselines in town. I'll make a list of what I remember of KB's electrical customers. Then let's compare the lists."

"Guys, I doubt that Squiddy is here in town. I think I would have noticed Robert and Billy before now. Squidward called them enemies and set us up to fight them, that means he has to have encountered them before now, and he sure didn't encounter them here. I would guess his base is somewhere near here, but not in the actual city itself." Raider puts his big brain to use analyzing what other locations near the city might be possible hideouts for squidward.

The group retires to Raider's living room people sprawling on old couches while Gregory stokes the fire up at Buzz's request (something about cold old bones).

Adam starts to review his various family members and comes up with a list of half a dozen people or families living in small villages south of Newborough. None of them are likely to be terribly inviting considering his "condition" but family is family and he doubts most would turn him away if he really needed help, at least for one night.

Meanwhile Buzz phones for Ralphie and sits down by the fire to rest his mind pouring over his earlier relapse. Courier sits nearby using the firelight to draw up a list of people he was aware of KB working with, the list was frightfully small, few people had the kind of equipment that could channel KB's power into usable electricity.

Adam goes and puts Robert in a spare bedroom and gets some food ready for everybody at the prompting of Billy who is apparently never NOT hungry. As he does so he starts to think about Squidward's motives and where he could possibly be hiding out. Unfortunately they know prescious little about Squiddy and what they do know provied little insight into anything.

Clearly he has some intrest in the aircraft but exactly why is unknown. Similarly he either has access to technology and/or quantum powers well beyond the norm but exactly where and what those are is unclear as well.

Raider quickly grows frustrated and begins to review the local geography for possible stronghold locations. Unfortunately the area is riddle with ruins and bombed out cities as well as any number of old industrial or military facilities which could serve as a base for Squidward.

He has given them little information to work with as well, his speech seems particularly tailored to not give any information away by way of an accent and he as contacted them only by way or Courier after their first encounter whereby he teleported both in and out. Shaking his head at the frustrating lack of information Raider returns to the living room and starts handing out food.

Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford
TCourier sits nearby using the firelight to draw up a list of people he was aware of KB working with, the list was frightfully small, few people had the kind of equipment that could channel KB's power into usable electricity.
Doug made a mental note that KB could probably use more gear and a wider customer base. Then he started a second list, this one of people he knows have used KB's weather manipulation abilities.

Gregory was brooding and frustrated. It did not stop him from eating, however. While it was nice to be in front of the fire, he wanted to get out there search those ruins and bases. He knew that Squiddie was good, and that he might catch Gregory, but that provided even more opportunities. How could Gregory get Squidward to sign him on as a 'frend'.

Gregory made a mental checklist to himself. He see thoughts in mind, he have home near here, he speak through others, he have ship we used to have, he get his way by tricksing people The last part made Gregory smile. It was a talent he had as well, but Squidward seemed to have mastered it.

Suddenly, and idea came to him. He needed to beat Squidward at his own game. It would mean hurting his new friends though, and it made him sad. Gregory hoped they would understand.

Buzz is mumbling to himself as he goes over the list and writes names down, crossing them out almost as quickly. Reading over his shoulder one can see he is literally writing down a list of 10 of the most powerful people in town going back to the town's creation, and the crossing them off as either dead, missing, or gone. He rubs his creaky hands between each list, it isn't until the last 30 years on the list that he actually starts including people that are at all familiar to anyone in the room.

After handing out food to everyone and making sure they were comfortable and warm, Raider goes to check on Robert again and see if he is awake yet. He takes food with him for Robert and Billy and makes sure they have enough blankets and other necessities.

He lets Courier know where he is headed and that he will sit with Robert until he wakes. "Our lack of information is crippling, I think the only way we are going to get the drop on Squidward is to combine forces with Robert and pool information. I'm gonna sit with him and question him when he wakes."

As instructed everybody leaves, Adam opens a warp so that they can move Billy without him being seen and leave Gregory alone in the house with Robert. Gregory produces a surge of quantum and waits for the resonance, unfortunately he finds none. He tries again, twice, as he sits next to the unconscious man, and still nothing, not even a faint trace. A short time later the others return through a warp from Courier’s home and Gregory fills them in.

Later that day the group is sitting in Raider’s still, Robert is now laid on a bed in one of Raider’s guest rooms and the others are gathered in his living room. The remnants of yet another nova-meal lay scattered about the room, dirty plates and empty serving vessels all. Gregory and Billy sit on the floor playing an old game that Raider found as the others sit. Raider has begun to investigate the contents of Robert’s pack and the gun he had when a knock breaks the quiet.

Raider answers the door to find Ralphie, white as a sheet at the door, “Y-y-you … and Buzz … the doctor … *gulp* … dead …” he stammers before his eyes roll up in his head and he faints dead away.

Raider will examine Ralphie with his new found abilities as well as his old medical knowledge to see if anything is wrong with him. If he finds anything wrong with the boy he will Heal him. Either way he will turn to the others, "I'm not leaving Robert and Billy unguarded. My guess is this may be another trick to lure us away so they can sneak back in here and attack Robert while he's defenseless." He looks to Courier, "Can you carry Robert with us? I don't think Billy will be considered enough of a threat to be in danger."

"I'm not very comfortable with you staying alone. Squiddy has already proven that he can take you out with his mental mojo. Not that I would fare any better, but is there anyone that can stay with you that can back you up?"

Buzz looks up from his list, he's narrowing it down to 150 from the past 10 years. When the door knocks he mumbles 'If it's Ralphie, find out where the Hell he's been.'.

When he sees it's Ralphie and he faints Buzz stands up like a shot.

"Ralphie? Ralphie!" as he hurries over. "Ralphie what's wrong, what's wrong!" he says as he takes his hand and feels for a pulse. "Put him over on the couch! He's passed out! Ralphie you better wake up soon and tell us what happened!" he lectures the poor boy even as he's unconscious.

"I'll stay, if yous all wants me to." Gregory said from the shadows. As soon as the commotion had started, Gregory activated his camoflage and hid near Billy. Once he asked his compatriots what they thought he should do, he slowly made his way to where Robert was asleep.

What he was looking for, was the pistol thing that Robert shot him with. He hoped he could get a hold of it and use it to get close to Squiddy. Maybe trade it for KB or other goodies. In exchange, Squiddy might even trust Gregory enough to give up his location.

Buzz lays Ralphie's hands over his chest in an effort to help him get comfortable, before he finally stands up and looks to the others. His jaw is set like stone, his eyes darkened with rage. The bones in his old hand creak as he makes a fist and holds it up.

"Let's get that sunuvabitch!"

Leaving Gregory and Adam behind with Billy and Robert, Courier, Buzz, and Raider head over to the doctor's with Ralphie. Outside the doctor's place Ralphie excuses himself, "No body should have to see that twice," he says with a shudder.

Entering the house the first thing the three notice is the coppery smell of blood. One of the town constables greets the three and tells them the body is in the back room. The three move into the back room and see the flayed remains of the doctor on the floor. Hanging from the ceiling is the doctor’s skin hanging in ragged bloody strips. Raider performs a quick examination and is able to conclude that the doctor has been dead for at least a day, possibly more.

Back at Raider’s house things remain quite with Robert still unconscious and Billy being unusually silent.

Raider will examine the scene as carefully as he can using his enhanced brain to slueth out what happened. Turning to the constables, "How many people have been in here and when was he first discovered?" Raider chokes up a bit on this last. He has to take a moment to collect himself before he continues.

"Sorry, I've spent alot of time studying medicine with the doctor over the last year or so. Whoever did this is gonna pay."

Gregory, still hidden, looks at the unconscious Robert. He is looking for the strange raygun that shot him in the woods. He really wanted to search him, but Adam might try to stop him. How I get Adam and Billy to leave me, so I can get zapping gun?

A moment later he came up with a plan. He formed an image of Squiddie in his mind, and shaped nearby matter and energy to match that mental image. He formed it near the entrance to the shop, and had it move away to an open area. Immediately after creating the construct, Gregory whispers to Adam and Billy.

"I hear snooping person outside shop. I stay here with Robert, you two check out who there." As he said those words to the two of them, he gently pushed some Quantum into how he made the request. He wanted them to really believe him, and that it would be best if those two went after the faux-Squiddie.

(Trickster, then Subterfuge)

Buzz keeps a clinical eye despite the horror of the situation. He begins to take a careful look around, checking for clues. He's looking for points of entry and exit, even if teleportation was employed there should be evidence of displacement. What tools were used? Claws? Glass? Knives? There had to be some evidence somewhere.

"Keep the gawkers out." he snaps to anyone that's listening.

Originally Posted By: Gregory
A moment later he came up with a plan. He formed an image of Squiddie in his mind, and shaped nearby matter and energy to match that mental image. He formed it near the entrance to the shop, and had it move away to an open area. Immediately after creating the construct, Gregory whispers to Adam and Billy.

"I hear snooping person outside tent. I stay here with Robert, you two check out who there." As he said those words to the two of them, he gently pushed some Quantum into how he made the request. He wanted them to really believe him, and that it would be best if those two went after the faux-Squiddie.
Adam moves slowly over to the side of the tent, laying on the ground and barely lifting the edge to peak outside. Once he spots "Squiddie" he'll motion Billy towards the door of the tent, attempting to use hand motions to coordinate an attack.

Billy looks out the window where Gregory motioned, "Who's that?" he asks. Adam gets a look outside and sees Squidward moving out toward the back of the house. He tries to direct Billy with some old fashioned hand signals but Billy just looks confused.

“What you want me do?” Billy looks at Adam and then looks back at Gregory, “Shiny man confusing. What he want?”

Raider, Buzz, and Courier go over the room and the remains. Buzz's memories threaten to drag him back down into the depths of his past but instead he stomps on them viciously. When you've lived as long as he Buzz had in dangerous times something like a torn apart corpse was, unfortunately, not something you'd only see once in your life. On the flip side Buzz was the only one not having any trouble keeping his stomach under control, and despite his old memories he was able to stay focused and sharp.

Courier is able to discern that the remains of the doctor's skin have been nailed into the ceiling with half a dozen wide flat–headed nails. Beyond that he is unable to find anything. Buzz meanwhile examines the room and finds that side from the blood on the skin and a small amount under and coating the body there is little elsewhere in the room, either the corpse held the majority of it blood or the killer was careful to remove the excess, possibly to remover hand and foot prints.

Raider unpacks his bag and photographs the body before performing a more thorough examination. He quickly determines that the man was skinned alive, something which would have been excruciatingly painful. Further examination shows that the body contains very little blood, clearly it went somewhere. Raider also determines that the man has been dead for longer than he thought initially, at least two days possibly three.

Gregory has the construct move away at a high rate of speed. He intends to draw Billy and Adam out of the shop. It will move towards the city walls. Gregory hopes that it does't vansh on its own before it gets to there.

While the other two are distracted by the construct, Gregory does a search of Robert for the strange weapon. If he does not find it, he will begin to look for it on the tables and in the drawers of the shop. Once he finds it, he will sneak out of the shop and watch the others. If able, he will have the construct evade any followers, and react accordingly.

Raider looks closely at the nails to determine if they are standard.

"If the Doc was killed here the killer went to extraordinary lengths to clean up or to prevent a mess. Either that or they have a really digusting eating habit of consuming blood."

"I really wouldn't put it past that slimy bastard to do it. We ain't finding many clues. Did he kill him just to piss us off? Was the doc onto something? Is Squiddy nearby here? Maybe he killed him because they were so close. Check and see if the Doc had a journal or something, maybe he had an appointment book? Who was the last one to see him alive?"

Buzz goes to the Doc's desk and begins to root through it.

Archived