Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Chapter 2: Wish You Were Here

jameson (ST)

Outside Gregory finds that he is able to focus his hearing in such a way that he not not only able to hear far fainter noises but also the ability filter out the background noise so that he can concentrate only on what he is listening to. He couldn't pick one conversation out of a crowded room of them but he can ignore the sounds of insects and the wind to hear Raider and Buzz talking.

Buzz himself is feeling well enough that he allows Raider to go back to investigating the house. He walks slowly across the street and sits in the shade of the nearby house, his back against the building only a few feet from where Gregory is now hiding. Adam moves with him, in part as a protective measure for the older man and in part to have a wider view of the area.

Raider moves back up toward the building and tries to discern the workings of the null field. He finds himself stumped, from the outside he can gather no information on the effect of the null-field directly, and within his quantum enhanced brain ceases to be quantum enhanced and he finds his deductive skills reduced to their normal (and still formidable) state.

Johnny looks at Courier and Raider and thinks about what he has been told. "So you use the same abilities as an aberrant but you do not suffer from the mutation and mental problems which seem to go hand in hand with them.

"My ... freind Beth she seems to have learned to control her abilities and as of yet she has not mutated or lost he mental control maybe she is like you?

"Others have come to us and live within this building and their condition has not gotten worse but they do not seem to get better. For them they feel that they are protected while within my damping zone. I do not understand it I am only glad that what happened to my twin brother did not happen to me."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug responds,

"If Beth has learned control without tainting out, then she's probably like us, but there are some things you're not supposed to do. Mostly it comes down to, if you get tired, rest, and don't push yourself or your powers."

"As for the abbies, far as I know, abbies never get better. No, make that, no one ever gets better. Only solution is not to mutate in the first place. There's a meditation for relaxing after power use that supposed to release strain. But that's not going back, that's just stopping you from going forward."

"And speaking of abbies, my girl friend supposedly has been caught by a group. Maybe we could ask around and see if anyone here knows of a pretty, blond hispanic woman, about 20?"

Raider returns to the conversation inside after helping Buzz. I think Courier here is mostly right. From what I've learned, Taint, as they called it in the old days, builds up in every Nova differently. Some Novas may never degenerate into monsters, some may start out that way. Best thing you can do is always watch for signs of the madness in those who are starting to show more and more taint. Aberrants are like rabid dogs, if they don't fight the taint and go mad, then they need to be put down. I've got to caution you though, monstrous appearance doesn't mean a person has gone bad though. There are humans with deformities just like there are novas with horrible appearance, got to treat em both with compassion though."

Buzz turns to Adam as he rests against the wall of a building.

"I'm...just gonna..rest here a spell." he mutters as he tries to maintain control, fearful that his memories might rise up again and overtake him for good this time.

"You can go on if you want, I'll be there soon...OK?"

He shakes his head, trying to smile a little bit. "If you're not feeling well, no way I'm about to walk off and leave you in the middle of the street. I may be a bit ... what's the old-timer phrase, 'gun hoe'? But I got you here, so that means I gotta get you back out again." Adam leans against the same wall, scanning the street and studying the building, watching for any signs of Raider and Courier through the windows.

"That's fine boys, I'll be OK. But I ain't goin' back in there again, no matter what. I think I built up defense against those flashbacks, didn't even realize it. When my powers went they surged up like wild animals. I'll be OK though. Just need to rest a bit. If that boy will come out or if he can turn it off maybe I'll talk to him, but I ain't goin' back in there." he grumbles.

Outside Buzz continues to try and reassure his freinds that he is OK while within Raider and Courier speak to Johnny more about his remarkable ability.

"I'm sorry Doug, but I'm not even sure what hispanic means ... but I have not seen any ... novas? ... like you before. Nor have I seen much of the visitors to this town, I usually stay here within this house, it is easier to stay in one place as it allows for the people under my care to stay within the damping area more easily.

"Bob described this as a hospital to you I think? That is easily the most fitting explanation. The people within can leave at any time. Some figure out some measure of control over their abilities and then set off to be on their own, they don't want to be a burdan on us but are afraid to stay in the town for fear of losing control. Some stay and others just leave one day without warning, often we see then weeks later after they have become even more aberrant.

"I try to do what I can, with the help of the others who have learned as well. It is difficult for the town but these are good people ..."

Outside Bob has left the house and walks over to where Buzz is sitting inthe shade next to Adam. "I hope you are well freind, we had quite a scare when you collapsed ... I can feel for you, I too am haunted by my own memories. I was born only a few years after the burn and was lucky to be normal, many of my peers where sick or mutated, others turned into aberrants ... it was a terrible time ..."

Raider blinks in surprise at what the man says. "Did you say that this ability of yours can be taught to others?" He tries to figure out how that is possible given the effect the power has on anyone that gets within range. "I would like to learn that some time..." After a moment of contemplation he regains focus and sighs.

"Unfortunately, we are in a bit of a time crunch right now. One of our friends has disappeared and can't communicate with us. If you don't mind we would like to tour your hospital just to reassure ourselves she isn't here by mistake. I'm sure we won't find her, but once we've had a look around we should be leaving, if she's in trouble time could be important."

Doug responds to Johnny’s last comment first,

“Good people, and soon to be better off. I’m not sure Bob has quite figured out how serious we are yet, but it’ll sink in real quick when we fly an ironworks booth here. Everyone benefits when we open up a new trade route.”

Doug pauses and then continues,

“Hispanic means her skin is a little darker than what normal around here. And we do have one other clue about what happened to her.”

Doug taps his forehead,

“I can feel her here, or at least, I used to be able to. We share a link of some kind, but now she’s in a dead zone of some kind. Johnny, this zone here is the only thing I’ve ever found that could shut down our link. I don’t get the impression that you’re the kind of a guy who’d keep someone here against her will, but have any of the others mentioned similar zones? Or could she be here somewhere without your knowledge?”

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Raider blinks in surprise at what the man says. "Did you say that this ability of yours can be taught to others?" He tries to figure out how that is possible given the effect the power has on anyone that gets within range. "I would like to learn that some time..." After a moment of contemplation he regains focus and sighs.

Johnny looks at Raider quizzically then suddenly brightens, "No I am sorry, I mis-spoke, I know of nobody else like me, I mean that there are some aberr ... umm ... Novas? that have learned to control their power much like you have. Beth and some of the others."

Quote:
Doug pauses and then continues,

“Hispanic means her skin is a little darker than what normal around here. And we do have one other clue about what happened to her.”

"Oh well I don't think that there is anybody here with different skin coloring, other than one of the aberra ... novas, who would stand out as you say.

"Please both of you feel free to look around, I would hate to think that we are holding your friend by accident, I do not think it likely but you may look for yourselves."

Raider and Courier both walk through the house and satisfy themselves that KB is nowhere withing the building. Clearly these people do not have her. Staying at the house are currently three other novas with varying degrees of aberrations. All seem to be happy to be able to be free of their powers and no indicate that they are in any way forced to stay in the house by Johnny or the town in general.

Buzz manages a weak smile as he turns to Bob and appreciates the sympathy offered. He wupes away one last tear ashe does so and offers his hand to Bob to help him stand up.

"Thanks Bob. No one can live as long as us and not wrack up a long list of bad memories. Mine got a bit of teeth to 'em unfortunately. Alright, why don't I wait inside a spell and let my boys check this out. OK?"

When walking around, Doug makes it a point to talk to the "aberrants", specifically about whether they've heard about any other dead zones out there.

Assuming this is fruitless, Doug will shake the "zone's" master's hand, thank him for his help, and go back outside.

(To everyone) *Well, that was interesting. They were worth a second look, and even a third, but it looks like they are what they claim. A hospital zone foccused on a guy who can turn off juice. Adam, you might want to remember that spot above the building in case you want to drop anyone on it.

Conclusion: Good trading possibilities, no KB.*

Adam sighs and straightens up away from the building as he sees Courier exit. "Nothing, huh? Damnit!" He turns and regards the wall for a moment, before punching it at a spot not likely to break. "I'm sorry, man. I mean, I know my drops aren't an exact science or anything, but ... I didn't want us to waste most of a day because I was off course." He sighs, and turns back to Buzz. "Let me know when you're ready to go back, ok?"

*Say, how is Gregory going to leave with us without being spotted, anyway?*

Bob gives Buzz a pat of the shoulder, "I do hope you feel better. I would hate for this, indescretion on our part, to strain our communities relations."

He walks over to Courier as the big man exits the house once again. "I am sorry that you were unable to find your freind. Hopefully however this trip will not be a wasted one. We ask that you not spread word of our hospital but if you or your freinds ever need a respite from your powers please feel free to visit us. And hopefully we can maintain a strong trading relationship based on what you and Buzz have told me I think we have much to help each other."

He watched everyone mill around outside the strange building. He was still listening to the amplified sounds around him. His perceptive abilities had increased beyond what most people were able.

It looked like the search for KB was not successful. Nobody looked upset however, so that meant that the people were friendly.

Quote:
We ask that you not spread word of our hospital but if you or your freinds ever need a respite from your powers please feel free to visit us.
Oh well, there goes that idea.

Courier responds,

"It wasn't a waste of time, we just didn't find what we were looking for. Just knowing zones like that are possible might be a clue in figuring out how she isn't linked."

"Next steps are I wait here for a few hours to recover juice, then I'll fly back. I'm going to need learn how to fly here anyway, and on the way back I'll be going over area KB might have gone over. Maybe something will turn up."

*Gregory... probably could just step on to a street and pretend he's been wandering around.*

Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford
Bob gives Buzz a pat of the shoulder, "I do hope you feel better. I would hate for this, indescretion on our part, to strain our communities relations."

He walks over to Courier as the big man exits the house once again. "I am sorry that you were unable to find your freind. Hopefully however this trip will not be a wasted one. We ask that you not spread word of our hospital but if you or your freinds ever need a respite from your powers please feel free to visit us. And hopefully we can maintain a strong trading relationship based on what you and Buzz have told me I think we have much to help each other."

Buzz finally stands up and takes a few woozy steps, but is feeling some strength return, the main problem is that he's still worried that his memories will rise up to take him again, this time not let him go.

"That's fine Bob, as strangers, even guests, we can't expect you to give up every little bit you got. Everyone's got secrets, we ain't no different. But what's most important is we made some friends here today, and we opened up some trade that'll do us both good. And we'll keep your secret, but I hope you don't object if we might need of some of your help at some point, for the same reason you use it. Hopefully we won't need it, but you never know right? We won't go spreadin' it around though. You can believe that. And maybe we can talk more with that boy of yours and find out more of what he does and how he does it."

"Alright boys, we've taken up enough of these good people's time, let's be good guests and leave at the right time."

Originally Posted By: Buzzkill
"Alright boys, we've taken up enough of these good people's time, let's be good guests and leave at the right time."
Doug responds,

"I'm going to need to stay here a bit to get back some juice, then I'll fly back. I'll be handling transport for the next trading step after all, so I've got to learn where "here" is."

"And who knows, maybe I'll trip over KB in process."

Raider walks over toward Courier, "I think I will fly back with Courier if he doesn't mind. You never know what interesting things we might be flying over. I'm always open for finding useful sites that might contain metal or old tech. Besides if someone should start shooting at him, I might come in handy." If Doug agrees, he will remain in solid form and just go along for the ride and regen his quantum while memorizing the route here and looking for anything interesting they pass.

Raider and Courier tell their freind's their plan before wandering off to explore the remainder of the town and allow time for Courier to regenerate his quantum reserves.

Adam and Buzz bid Bob a kind farewell and Adam astonishes the gathered people by tearing a gaping hole in reality. A blurry shape slides through the newly formed warp gate almost immediately and quickly gives and all clear to Adam. Adam helps lower Buzz through the warp and Gregory assists the older man at the other end. Adam then waves a jaunty goodbye to the townsfolk and drops through the portal on his own.

The three of them arrive in Raider's garage and make themselves at home grabing some food and rest.

a few hours later Courier and Raider stop by to see Bob before leaving. He tells them that he will have the trade goods ready for Courier's next visit and tells them that they are welcome back to Goodwood anytime.

Raider suggests to Courier that Adam's warp likely placed them to the far north rather than the south as the position of the sun suggests a more northern lattitude. Courier flies off headed south-west and follows the coast. Soon he begins to recognize some of the coastal features and realizes that they were far to the north indeed, well past L-A where most of his trading takes place this far north. It's likely that he and the group could maintain a monopoly on trade relations between Goodwood and Newborough.

Courier and Raider arrive back at his place late in the evening where Adam, Buzz and Gregory are gathered. The old man is feeling much better and even cooked up a meal for the group.

Archived