Aberrant RPG - Dumbo Syndrome as a weakness?

BlueNinja

This came up in chat late this evening, when I was arguing a power concept with Revenant.

Since you can take Aberrations as Flaws, could you take certain Aberrations as weaknesses on powers? Specifically, have Dumbo Syndrome linked to a single power, so that your nova could use other powers normally but require a focus for that single power?

How many points would such a weakness be worth?

How much less would it be worth if it relied on a type of item instead of a specific one? (example, needing any kind of pen instead of your Fancy Engraved Graduation Pen.)

How much less would it be worth if you didn't suffer the additional Permanent Taint gain for your unique item being destroyed?

If you were to buy Dumbo Syndorme, pre-eruption as a flaw it would be a mental disorder. It would probably be a form of Obsessive/Compulsive behavior. I would make the weakness 3 points for the baseline version of Dumbo.

Post eruption and focusing on a single power would make it a two point flaw. I can see the power working for something like a Q-Bolt, where you need your trusted childhood toy ray gun.

Having the Syndrome work within a broader context can work, but would it really be worth having for only a one point flaw?

If the object was destroyed and you wanted to alter it so as not to get the additional Taint and another abberation in its place, you would have to make the repurcussions equally harsh. If not, then then it is not a flaw. I would say that you could suffer from two different mental disorders: Amnesia (repressing all memories of ever having the object), Flashbacks (of the trauma when the object was lost), Combat Paralysis (spend time looking for talisman before realizing that it is gone and then engaging in battle), Seizures, Multiple Personality Disorder, Delusions (that you still posess it), Paranoia (at not having the object with you), and in some cases (depending on Taint level) Schizophrenia.

Archived