Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Table Talk: Phoenix Rising

jameson (ST)

RE: Extra Gear

So... what could we reasonably have? Extra ammo is probably fine. An extra gun or two probably is as well. As for body armor I was thinking our current level of technology in combo with casual strength would make it at least possible, and Doug's soak is low enough to make it desirable (and he needed something before the Eufiber).

Everything subject to ST's approval of course.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IT'll depend on two things:

1) What exactly do you want?

2) When do you want it?

Most of you guys have at least a decent level of resources. Normally those go towards maintaining your homes, feeding your nova level appetites, and such things. Getting your hands on something like a gun and ammo is pretty easy.

Body armor is less so, for the most part there is no active warring between Newborough and any of it neighbors (large or small) further material construction techniques are hampered by the lack of proper equipment. Old Kevlar vests and things of that magnitude exist but are rare enough that will need to spend some time tracking one down for trade and dealing with that.

Lemme know what you want and I'll let you know what you can get and how long it will take...

Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford
Body armor is less so, for the most part there is no active warring between Newborough and any of it neighbors (large or small) further material construction techniques are hampered by the lack of proper equipment. Old Kevlar vests and things of that magnitude exist but are rare enough that will need to spend some time tracking one down for trade and dealing with that.
I wasn’t thinking of doing it properly, I was thinking more of the situation. Pre-eufiber Courier did his flying from community to community with a lethal soak of 2. Newborough has processed metal, it wouldn’t be hard to bend a sheet of it into a vest, or possibly even more, the problem is when you are done it’d weigh a couple of hundred kilos. That should be the point where it becomes difficult to do, unless of course the guy wearing it is willing to live with the weight.

I.e. you could bear the weight, and you were worried about taking a bullet while flying around, that’d be a solution.

It is reasonable to assume that Courier has access to a vest he has high resources and a real need prior to this. Adam, I cannot recall his resources, but if he has at least 3 dots he probably also has a vest. Raider gregory and Buzz would have little real reason to own armor. Raider of course has a better way to deal with bullets anyways. That leaves Gregory and Buzz. It's safe to say that between Courier and Raider they can get the materials and Raider can fabricate something within a few hours for each man, figure about 2 hours to find materials and another 2 hours per vest for fabrication so 6 hours total.

without my book I cannot recall the specifics but this would be a "bullet proof vest" as far as soak goes. any of the more advanced armors would take longer to make and require more material, armors made with advanced materials would be even harder to get ahold of materials for.

As for weapons pistols are common enough (revolvers are easy to build) and rifles & shotguns are a staple for people who want to hunt for game and/or defend themselves. SMGs, Semi-auto pistols, machineguns etc however are more "special request" items.

I think Adam only has Resources 1, but regardless, he'd turn down the body armor - not only does he have a Forcefield, but he's also Overconfidant, and he does not have the mega-strength to wear it anyway.

Bullets should be rather easy to make - assuming our Engineering Prodigies don't have some laying around to use as 'spare change' when bartering with the villagers. :P

Gregory also has that whole "stealth/invis" thing to going for him.

Quote:
It is reasonable to assume that Courier has access to a vest he has high resources and a real need prior to this...That leaves ...Buzz. It's safe to say that between Courier and Raider they can get the materials and Raider can fabricate something within a few hours for each man, figure about 2 hours to find materials and another 2 hours per vest for fabrication so 6 hours total.

without my book I cannot recall the specifics but this would be a "bullet proof vest" as far as soak goes. any of the more advanced armors would take longer to make and require more material, armors made with advanced materials would be even harder to get ahold of materials for.

(Page 277)

Kevlar Vest. "Standard police issue, the Kevlar vest reduces the penetrating power of bullets and other projectiles. Although an expert could spot it, the vest can be hidden under a coat."

Bashing 2; Lethal 3; Protection Torso; Penalty 1; Conceal in a trenchcoat; Cost 3 dots; Destruction 10.

Flak Jacket;

"Military-issue protection designed to prevent explosives from harming the wearer."

Bashing 4; Lethal 4; Protection Torso, Arms; Penalty 1; Can not conceal; Cost 3 dots; Destruction 12.

So we could make a jacket for Buzz. Any chance Courier can add another 440 pounds of metal to that and get an upgrade over a jacket? Considering his strength that would still leave him without encumberance (page 156).

Originally Posted By: Dr. Raphael Bradford
Courier can always take more protection by taking more bulk, you get dexterity penalties though from the simple bulk of it (think about how hard it is to operate in winter outerwear)
I'm willing to live with dex penalities. The next level of armor up, i.e. the full body stuff (actually all of the full body stuff), is a -2 dex pool penality. They are using higher tech materials than we are, but hundreds of pounds of metal is still hundreds of pounds of metal. Their full body stuff is either 5/5 or 6/5.

May I suggest a full, brutal, 440 pounds of sheet metal granting 6/6 to soak, and -2 to dex stuff (which includes his dodge)?

Obviously it's also going to create other problems if you don't have a solid Mega-Strength rating, i.e. 2 or better.

OK Courier I figured you were going for the midevil style armor suit and I would agree that a -2 to Dexterity would be appropriate and that a 6/6 is reasonable. You could increase that to 8/6 if it was fully padded but that would increase the dex penalty by 1 as well to a full -3 (making it very difficult to do much of anything)

Just let me know which you are going to go with.

Now, before I post, can somebody please run down through your final plan for my benifit?

I think you are warping Gregory to near the crash site, and he is going to scout the area. The rest of you will then warp there with the documents & recording since you don't have the actual box? Playing for the fair trade angle and hoping it all works out it seems?

RE: Padded Armor

No thanks, I already have eufiber to pad it out.

RE: -3 Dex

In theory, with a slightly different character design this would work pretty well since Brawl (and Throwing for that matter) wouldn't be effected. However that's only in theory and I'm happy with -2. smile

The plan (proposed)

1) Drop Gregory a bit away from the Crash site and have him scout it out.

2) Then we go there, Buzz has the Black Box (i.e. Raider's Other Black Box) as well as the Transcripts.

3) Then we play it by ear. On a side note it's at least possible Squidward can hack into the link. It'd be really tough, but he might be up to it. I'm hoping he can't because some of his actions don't make sense for a full telepath, but he's probably also crazy and/or busy so it may not matter.

Gregory is using his Sonar to increase his chance of detecting unseen/invisible objects. He is choosing a sound inaudible to normal human hearing, like a dog whistle. If it is not possible to use his sonar with such a high frequency wavelength, he won't try it. (He does not want to give away his postion.)

Raider is going through the warp with Gregory to scout. He will hopefully get into position underneath the crash site ready to surface and grab KB if things go badly. Once the bad guys arrive and are distracted by everyone else he will surface just enough to peak around and get his bearings. If the bad guys are already there he will skip the scouting and head straight under the site for rescue efforts if they become necessary. Squidward never knew about Raider so he hopefully should not be prepared. Raider does not have any offensive capabilities other than the pistol he has just aquired which he has only for defense in case things go bad. He does not intend to harm squidward or his allies.

Raider, try to let me know this stuff ahead of time, I'll retcon and write you in today.

I won't be updating further until tonight I totally spaced and forgot to check my books for how the sonar thing works so I'll need to do that this evening.

Also I'll be away for a day or two next week for buisness travel so my posting may be light during the first half of the week.

Np. I had thought I'd made it clear that Raider was planning to sneak in and be underneath the meeting site, but things moved very fast yesterday while I was asleep and I didn't notice we were going in in two waves until after it was already posted.

Raider will continue searching the area both under the ground and up in the trees for the badguys. He is looking for anything unusual and trying to use his newly increased intellect to analyze the situation for weaknesses in their strategy and in possible strategies for the bad guys given what they know and the voices that were heard.

Since, strictly speaking, "energy" is a broad category the q-bolt must function off of some more specific form of energy. Fire and radiation would be the two most appropriate for a nuke and since you don't want there to be residual radiation and such Adam's q-bolt will be essetially a "fireball" in the D&D sense, though it will take the form os hand held bomb and explode into little mushroom clouds ...

Well, Adam's bombs do [6]+8dL, so Gregory isn't at much risk of serious damage, especially if he's not at ground zero. The worrying thing is that you can't really dodge an explosion attack, unless you've got Hypermovement or Enhanced Movement, so he can rack up the ping damage (at least) on every attack.

((Opening the Warp about 30 meters above the ground, then next round dropping three q-bolts in a triangle pattern around the two Abbys, each one about three meters away from the others. If the Warp stays open more than that one round, repeat the bombing the next round if they are still alive. If one of the Abbys can fly or jump up towards the Warp, abort actions to close it before they can get in.))

Adam: Your range on these things is 15x(3+2) or 75 meters.

Your area of effect is 2m x (4x2 + 2x3) => 2m (8+6) => 28 meters. This is a problem because that Q-Bolt will go through the gate.

I suggest you increase the range to 50-60 meters or so.

Archived