Aberrant: Nova Reality - Midwest Nova Group

kestrel404

The other thread is getting too long to post this in, so I'll start a new one.

Interceptor: Have you come up with a name yet? Who else is there? I'll be in the area just as soon as I finish a bit of business in Boston.

For everybody else:

Interceptor has mentioned in our talks that this group is going to be very open to public scrutiny. That implies a level of transparency never before seen in a nova group. If we're open with information - as opposed to, say, Utopia which tightly controlls all of its press releases and member's statements - then we will be a very unique group in the nova world.

I like the idea. I like it because anyone trying to control us for personal gain will hate it.

Does anyone else agree?

Glad you asked Alchemist, I'm taking a little break in our meeting right now, but we have a few interested parties at my office right now! Bandwidth, Epicenter, Darkstar, and April Rice just arrived. As far as names are concerned I came up with a few that I'll post here.

1. The Windy City Knights

2. The Great Lakes Knights

3. The Great Lakes Protectors

4. The Midwest's Finest

5. The C.N.D; Chicago Nova Defense (Acronyms often test well, even if they don't mean anything)

6. The Windy City Task Force

7. Project Aegis

I'll post a link to the proceedings so far, my assistant is taking notes.

http://www.nprime.net/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/14/t/000259.html

And yes, this will be quite open to the public.

Quote:
5. The C.N.D; Chicago Nova Defense (Acronyms often test well, even if they don't mean anything)
The CND is also the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in the UK. Thought that this might sway your decision somehow if you were aware of it.

Sorry Totem, but I think the sponsors would balk a bit at supporting NADS.

I'm rather partial to calling our group a 'Society'. Unfortunately, Aegis is much to close to Aeon, otherwise it would be perfect.

Given the group make-up so far, I don't think a militant name is appropriate.

Perhaps the Caduceus Society? (That might exist as a medical community...need to check.)

Protectors of the Windy City? A bit too specific.

How about The Newman League? We're all Homo Sapiens Novus (literally, New Humans).

I kind of like the CND as the official name. There's just something about acronyms. The public generally responds well to them, and they make great logos. I'd like our nickname though to be The Windy City Knights. Of course nothing is set yet, we're still just flinging things around a bit. I used to be in advertising, and a big scientific sounding typically only works on certain projects, such as diet foods and medications. A team of Novas named Caduceus (how is that even pronounced?) would likely confuse people. I say we keep it simple, but there's still tons of names we haven't even considered yet.

I would agree with the Acronym comments, though I think Alchemist was trying to suggest the NewMan Society (or the Newman Society) somewhere in his post. The NS?

Might I recommend though something illustrating your "public openness" stance towards information? (That seemed important to you.)NP..Open Nova Protection for instance. Just an idea.

By the way, what was the motivation for this project's creation? It's becoming interesting to watch from this end.

Well as far as openness, think like Reality Show. There's going to be near total exposure on this, if the N! reps get their way. Undoubtedly there's going to be some...interesting issues that crop up on this team.

The motivation was an interview I had with city planners and emergency services (I was applying to help out their emergency crews for rescue operations). They brought up the idea to me then, and I was pretty surprised, but this is something they've been thinking of a long time apparently. They feel that a team could help protect the city's and surrounding area's interests, as well as be quite a shot in the arm economically. I think so too.

It's nice to know you were approached for the concept rather than the other way around. With the press coverage it sounds rather sensational. As such, it should be strangely popular.

By the way, what kind of problems is that area prone to as of late?

On a related note: I worked as a consultant in the private sector for Nova security and defensive systems a while back. The main purpose of hiring a consultant for a designed unit or facility is really testing their skills in a practical manner that doesn't require an actual emergency or collateral-damaging conflict. It also makes good for press releases that are nothing but silver lining. Besides myself, I still know a few names in the business if that sounds like something you might need in the future. I'll be travelling through your hemisphere in the next few months, so send me a message if you're interested.

Ulysses: If we're going to be filmed and monitored as closely as Interceptor is saying, then it's going to be very hard keeping secrets about what we're doing, how we're doing it, and why. While it will bring up no end of argument and discussion, it will also make it very clear who we're getting orders from and what their motives are.

There will most likely be some liability problems when we mess up. I'm trying to think up ways to counter that.

RE: Names - I'm not very good with naming things. My wife named both of our kids. Caduceus is pronounced like cad and Confuscious. It's an ancient symbol representing healing, medicine, protection, and a few other things. It's commonly used in the medical profession (the staff with the two serpents, usually in blue). I thought it appropriate, considdering the non-combat, emergency response specialties of our group.

Those were just some additional suggestions. I'm sure other ideas will get tossed around.

My main fear with this, and this is one of the hard reasons why I abandoned this project, is for one, the media is VERY embedded in the group. Also, I felt uncomfortable with the idea that we would indeed be in a glaring spotlight all the time as we do our work and when we are at rest.

At first, I looked foreward to it, but after examining just how well covered things were, I decided the cause wasn't enough for me to be a 24/7 media starlet.

I'm a good samaritan, not a cast member of Big Brother 20.

Please forgive a certain element of contrariness to responding but have you considered that Team Tomorrow, with its auxiliaries and complementary Teen Tomorrow, operates in a similar situation. Some of its members still maintain a degree of privacy.

In the matter of names have you considered something utilitarian such as 'Emergency Response'?

Mr. Mann, if I do such things, I would organize my own group. We would act so under the radar, noone would know who we are, where we're based, or what our agenda was. Our only agenda would be to honestly help because it's the right thing to to. Not for PR, but for the protection of all life.

I have money, Mr. Mann, and I am sure some of my inheiritance from my mother was taken in blood. I wish to reverse that karma.

You might find that such secrecy, while increasing the possibility of privacy, acts as an impediment to accomplishing your goals. Those who might otherwise be pursuaded to stand aside or at least tolerate your activities would instead act as obstacles based on nothing more than their ignorance of your purpose. Perhaps your karmic needs might be best served in another venue?

The gene code of man is now an open book. Yes, the presence of homo sapien novus serves as a graphic reminder that our understanding of that code is far from complete but the tool is there. Have you ever considered that DNA code represents a mneme not unlike your beloved and archaic binary? Or that there is functionally no difference in the fundamentals on which the science of nanites and biology are based?

It occurs to me that a sufficiently bold and motivated scientist might have a great deal to offer the world without resorting to recreating the comic book paradigms of 'super teams'.

One difference, Mr. Mann, is that I wouldn't operate in such a 4-Color manner. There are no Supervillains. There are no Alien threats. All that people would know would be that I and my team were there, and we are there to help, wherever we can assist in times of disaster, wherever we would be welcome assistance. Interceptor's team is nothing more than a real-life 27/7 anime. Interpersonal dramas laid open for the world to see, combined with the occasional crisis.

The publicity can only work against Interceptor and his team.

While the world knows who I am and who would be working with me, We would not be so open to prying eyes.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you, Endeavor. While there will be a lot of openness in this, it's not going to be 'Big Brother Season 20'. We're not going to be televizing our daily lives (or at least I'm not, it would be so boring as to be a detriment to the project). There won't be spy-cameras in every room in our base.

We are simply going to be open to the public with who we are and what we do. That doesn't mean we have to sacrifice our personal privacy on the alter of paparazziism.

How much of what we do will be shown on the Opnet is still up for discussion.

Exactly Alchemist. The public is hungry to see the Nova Lifestyle, and they really want to see the Nova public servants and how they handle day to day living. But that doesn't necessarily mean we will be letting out information that could harm us, if in fact we need to defend the city. It's not supposed to be live, for example. Another thing is that you have control of your image. However, you would be ceding some of the control on a contractual basis for joining the team obviously. It also wouldn't include the various tests and games that those shows often have, I'm assuming we'll be busy enough as it is.

We'll be a bit more revealed no doubt. But I think we'll also be trusted more, as well as achieve better recognition, which can be a great boon for us I think.

Personally, I think dodging the spotlight is going to be one of the finer points of this experience. I'm here to help people out. If Joe and Jane Public want to see what I do in my off hours, they are going to have to keep their eyes and minds peeled.

Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor:
Exactly Alchemist. The public is hungry to see the Nova Lifestyle, and they really want to see the Nova public servants and how they handle day to day living.
Perhaps I need to reiterate something. I am not accepting compensation for my participation. I am not, nor will be, a "servant," public or otherwise, to organizations or governments involved in this project. If we are to be thought of as "employees" or "public servants," or if my assistance is dependant upon appeasing the will of financers, officials, or rating-seeking executives, we need to re-evaluate what it is this project hopes to accomplish.

I agree completely. I'm in this to do a bit of good for the world. The 'openness' I'm talking about is just an attempt to avoid the beaurocratic nonsense that plagues Utopia.

We will have to work out an agreement as to who has control over the group, and what is expected from the members. We need to start formalizing agreements between the supporters and the potential members.

Will we all need to sign contracts? I understand that if we're going to be paid, it would be standard form to accept a contract. But if we're not accepting payment, and are acting as volunteers assisting the group, would that free us from needing to enter contractual obligations?

I'll need to ask Interceptor about talking directly with the backers and finding out what they expect from us. If they are trying to build another T2M, or even a large taskforce of contractually bound City Defenders, we may have problems.

OK, here's the thing. I am doing this because I want to help, I'm not doing it for a salary or anything like that. Having said that, I do need to make some money. Right now I'm doing well with my company, which I'll be selling most likely if this goes through. I have a mother to support, I need to tithe to the church, and I have a decent appetite. If this becomes my full time job, realisitically I need to be paid.

We can do this without the backers, however that does make things a lot more difficult. The laws in Chicago are pretty complex, there's plenty of laws set up to protect people, and there's tons of lawsuits going on. If we don't go with the backers, we're heading for a legal minefield. We won't be able to accomplish much without getting all kinds of hassles and stepping on a lot of toes. By getting the backers we also gain legitimacy, visibility, and freedom from a lot of these hassles. However, we would be in a sense working for them in that respect. Now all kinds of things can be arranged. I'd imagine that a team of Novas has tons of bargaining power. But if we try do this without some kind of legal representation, I bet we'd encounter problems not only with the local government, but higher up as well, maybe even with the Directive and PU.

I'm for this kind of arrangment, I think it will solve plenty of the problems that come with this kind of undertaking. It comes with its own problems of course, but we have to expect some accountability.

I, personally, have no problem with signing a contract. it´s the usual way to do this things.

I also coincide with Alchemist and Interceptor, I am trying to help. But, call me mercenary if you like, but I am not going to say no to the salary. Sometimes I have worked for people who can´t pay me, because I decide it was the right thing to do.

I don´t think this is the case, sorry. Chicago´s a big city and with the backers, I don´t think the money is a problem.

Another thing is what I would be willing to do for this money. Even with the N! involvement in the project, we need to find some consensus about what we are willing to let them know about us.

Groovy idea guys. If you don't have N! deals already I'm sure I can talk to someone. Btw one thing to keep in mind. If you go public, you might want to just double-check what you say in the other forum, or just come up with an opnet-alter ego.

Part of the reason I have "Billy" in front of my name on most of the Broadcasts these days isn't because I like it...It's an enforceable N!tv policy towards "questionable" content. As in my theory it reminds the kind people without nodes at home that we are "only human" after all.

Thought that might be worth mentioning if you're dancing in the public spotlight professionally.

Then again, N! is sometimes overprotective of the node-less.

Oh and if you're still looking for members I may know a certain crustacean that may be looking for work... smile

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackStar:
Hey! Amped, are you going to be with the group?.
I don't think I'm going to be. I have too much on my plate at the moment trying to get emancipated. It's a shame too. Mom seems to be a really nice lady, dad has been nothing but a PITA. He acts like he's part of the church or something.

That's a pretty non-commital "Yes, we're full"...but it's diplomatically put, so I guess it's fine.

The offer to help with the N!Tv end is still there though.

And I was joking about the Dr. Limulus thing. Guy's sweet and all, but I think he needs to finish school and well, sort out a few things. I was just asking since I thought the idea has a hell of a lot of promise.

Good luck to you guys and let me know if you change your mind. smile

Well then, where should I send in the application?

As for the N! stuff...that is SO not a problem. They'll have to be a few bureacratic piles to sort through, but I've been sorting through crap like this for years, so it's not a big deal.

If we're lucky we can get some backing from that corner as well as from the local area...I really recommend taking up the official backing. There's enough loopholes that you can never really be tied down to something but if you don't have the support things can seriously go downhill quickly.

Just my two cents.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor:
If you're in Chicago Billy, stop by my office, it's become the defacto HQ for now. We'd be happy to see what arrangements could be made.
Well, I did do some real-estate digging. Seems that there is a small office campus that might suit our needs as a central HQ. It's near the business district, which makes me somewhat nervous security wise, but it does look VERY good, and with some negotiations, come with a cheap rental price.

Unless someone can pull together enough to buy the place all together. Problem is, the price tag is in the Millions. I'll send you the rep's contact address and you can pass it along to whoever needs the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived