Charges.

Wakinyan

Quote:
What exactly was the deal? If it didn’t specifically say, “He won’t go to Bahrain”, then that’s probably where he goes. If it doesn’t specifically say, “He won’t be kept unconscious”, then that’s probably what happens.
And if they try either of those "solutions", they'll have civil liberties types so far up their collective asses that they'll be crapping subpoenas for the next twenty years.

It's all well and good for T2M to whisk someone off to their little Playpen-on-the-Persian when it's T2M that does the nabbing in the first place, but they didn't; this particular Taint-buttered critter surrendered himself to the civilian authorities, and in civilian hands he gets to stay.

As for drugging him into unconsciousness, that particular maneuver violates more established civil rights laws than did the entire LAPD from 1990 through 2000 inclusive.

Quote:
Sandcaster:
And if they try either of those "solutions", they'll have civil liberties types so far up their collective asses that they'll be crapping subpoenas for the next twenty years.
His civil liberties end where the public's right to be safe begins. Right now, people are in jails or nut houses for being serial rapists or child molesters. Not for being guilty of rape, they've served their time for that, but for actually being serial molesters. The theory is that if let on the streets again, they will rape again. In theory, we will let them out after they are cured, but that might and probably will be "never".

Quote:
Sandcaster:
It's all well and good for T2M to whisk someone off to their little Playpen-on-the-Persian when it's T2M that does the nabbing in the first place, but they didn't; this particular Taint-buttered critter surrendered himself to the civilian authorities, and in civilian hands he gets to stay.
That works if they have somewhere to put him, hopefully somewhere that is economic. If they don't have any good options, then they will use bad ones. But I trust that they won't just kick him out to kill again.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
His civil liberties end where the public's right to be safe begins.
You know, I really like my criminal procedure class but I don't want to mix it all up with this stuff.

Both of you are right (funny, that) and leave it at that. I'm going to get enough "yes/no" questions in a month.

Quote:
Originally posted by Singularity:
Anyways, that means that Neil could be liable for battery (but could be subject to a any number of exceptions, as would a good portion of the things I mentioned above).
Plus emotional distress. Some people might get way freaked by crap like that.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandcaster:
I'd tell the ACLU to come pick his furry butt up and take him where ever they felt he'd be best held. :P

Yeah, its never going to happen that way but there's a point under the joke. In a climate of fear, the people that would normally scream bloody murder might just look the other way. It's kind of like PETA screaming over abuse of Godzilla. Sure they're in the right but even if they got kahones to protest, most of the world is going to tell them to shut the hell up. Civil rights type might want a supeona but don't they need a judge willing to sign it?

One might want to note relevant politics in the imprisonment situation. At the current time, the US government does not trust Utopia, thus it is politically unlikely that that course of action could be followed, even if it is the "right" course of action. Utopia does, after all, only have as much jurisdiction in the US as the US wants it too.

The US being a member of the Directive throws a few interesting gears into the situation. It's possible (and I suspect quite likely) that as well as Forgotten City, the Directive has at least one smaller facility within the US for Nova incarceration. It's a tad unlikely that one would be in the court's jurisdiction, seeing as it's likely to be somewhere really remote, but you never know. If there is a nova incarceration facility in the area, this is probably the likeliest alternative.

If not, well, if the Directive and the US Military are chummy, there may also be the political option of holding Wakinyan in a Military facility of some description. Militaries typically have high-security facilities, often with accomodations that could very easily be converted into exceptionally-high security incarceration facilities. If the Directive and the US Military aren't chummy, this may still be an option, but would probably not be politically feasible. Then again, we are talking about an extremely dangerous Nova, and outside pressure may get the Military to capitulate just this once. Also, never underestimate the paranoia of the Military. This option also has the advantage of mondo plot hooks as the Military find themselves with a very dangeous weapon on their hands. Also remember that the US Military does have a nova division, so outside Elites may not be necessary.

Just throwing a few interesting asides out...

So what say you, Wakinyan? Where do you want the big lug to be held until trial or plea bargain: Cook County Jail, the WCK sub-basement, an Army prison, Forgotten City or some variant thereof, or Bahrain? There's advantages and disadvantages to each, from a storytelling standpoint.

Remember that the Directive isn't part of the USG power structure. There's actually mention of the Russian government (also a 'member' of the Directive) growing to distrust them, since the Directive is largely composed of ex-KGB super spooks.

That being the case, I'm not convinced that the US government is on very good terms with the Directive. Might be analogous to the fairly vicious rivalry between, say, the CIA and the NSA.

Archived