[Fiction] Viva Las Vegas! [Warning: Adult Content]

Wakinyan

Flicker caught Emily's almost-concealed irritated glare in her direction. Looks like someone's still harboring a grudge about Ibizia, she thought. How many times am I going to have to apologize for that? She decided that she'd done enough damage here, and that some other occasion would be a better time to fix things. She returned her attention to Neil, and the other novas still mingling in this group.

A few minutes later, after Wakinyan had finished reliving the 80's, Flicker watched Long take the stage, wondering what song he would sing. No doubt it would be something that suited his stature and experience as a war-weary ex-elite. However, when the title card came up on the screens, Flicker's eyes bugged out.

DARE

STAN BUSH

THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE, ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

SCOTTI BROS. MUSIC, 1992

The Transformers? Flicker reeled. Oh my God. . .

She leaned over to Neil and spoke directly into his ear, over the wailing pop guitars: "Can the Teragen kick you out for being a dork?" she asked.

Neil's turn came next, and Flicker wondered what he would sing. She didn't recognize the tune, or the artist, or the lyrics, but as she listened, she definitely knew the emotion. Anyone in her old neighborhood in Cleveland could have told the same bitter story that Neil was singing. As she listened, she grabbed two bottles of water from a nearby table, handing one to Neil when he'd finished his song and returned.

"You are full of surprises," she said in wonder and smiled, handing him the bottle.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After having Flicker explain what Transfomers were to Neil, he shrugs and says,

"Probably a song from his childhood in Japan. I imagine it comes over better through the lenses of a pre-teen kid."

Neil looks over at Nova for a second. He seems to be looking deep into her soul ... or something uncomfortable like that. The moment ends as he bolts up to take his turn.

"You are full of surprises," Flicker tells him.

"Back at ya," he replies.

Edison nearly chokes on his drink when Slattern approaches him. She waits as he stammers a bit and then just stares, "Good Lord," she thinks, "I know I've got the juice on but you'd think this child was a baseline."

Time passes. She stares right into his eyes, waiting. She hears the music start in the background. Four songs pass and she decides enough is enough.

"Alright, Glowbug, you had your chance." And she saunters away, looking for someone else to play with.

"I'll be right back," Flicker told Neil. "It's time for me to sing something." She stepped to the karaoke system's console and punched in her choice, then stepped up onto the stage.

As the soft opening chords played, punctuated by poignant silences, the title card appeared on the screens:

SOMETHING ABOUT US

DAFT PUNK

Flicker surveyed the assembled novas, peering through the glare of the spotlights. She caught Neil's eye. He smiled.

He must not know this song by name, she thought.

Flicker stepped forward, so that the lyric display was out of her field of view. She needed no training wheels for this song. She swallowed once, hard, and then began singing, softly:

"It might not be the right time,

I might not be the right one,

But there's something about us I want to say,

Cause there's something between us anyway,"

"I might not be the right one,

It might not be the right time,

But there's something about us I've got to do,

Some kind of secret I will share with you:"

She took a deep breath.

"I need you more than anything in my life,

I want you more than anything in my life,

I'll miss you more than anyone in my life,

I love you more than anyone in my life."

Tears welled up in her eyes as she took a step backwards and returned the microphone to its stand. She turned to face the partiers once more and she smiled. A tear broke free and ran down her cheek. She stepped out of the spotlight, and down from the stage.

Okay Nova, she told herself, you've said it. There's no taking it back.

Nine or ten shots later Revenant knew he might as well be drinking water. Admitadly, he didn't know anyone here, even the babbling twit that gave him a ride was a complete stranger to him.

The music started playing the morons climb up on stage to do thier song and dance. If he was drunk it wouldn't have bothered him.

Oh.

My.

God.

Is that... tiger dude singing? This place is a fuckin' circus. Least the booze and cigars are free.

He sits there at the bar, downing shot after shot, popping pizza roll, after pizza roll.

With every new song that is played he visibly winces at prays inside to the gods of music to forgive this group of mutated morons, they know not what they do.

Revenant choked back the bile in his throat as the walking strobe stepped off stage.

"Dear god in heaven, please hit her with a bus." he spoke aloud, downing another shot.

What next, "Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head"? What the hell am I doin here?

He would have asked for a ride back to Chicago by now, but the flibberty-gibbet squaw with hardly two cells in her brain to rub togeather was no where he could see.

Then again, when you don't turn to face the crowd, it's hard to find what you're looking for.

Neil stood transfixed ... not by the words, but by Nova's raw emotions.

This never happens to me follows why now? and Can I do this?

For some reason, he finds himself standing and walking to meet her coming off stage. He can't meet her eyes, though.

"Hi ... uh ...," he finally looks up her finally, "there is someone I want you to meet."

"Hi ... uh ... there is someone I want you to meet," Neil said to Flicker, eyes downcast.

What on earth does that mean? she wondered. She'd prepared for a number of possible reactions, but this was not one of them.

"Who?" she asked simply, watching him carefully. There is so much about him that is hidden, she observed. She plucked a stray cocktail napkin from an adjacent table and dabbed her eyes dry, and felt a little bit of her emotional center return.

"Trust me," he says. He pulls out his phone and speed-dials a number.

"Hello ... Selena."

"Hi Neil. Why are you calling?"

Very abrupt, as always.

"There is someone I want to bring over to see Winter."

"Who?" the woman on the other end sounds suspicious.

Neil looks at Nova as he replies.

"Someone I think should meet Winter, Selena. We'll be teleporting over."

There is a hard edge to Neil's voice. There is hesitation on the other end.

"Fine," comes the reply and the connection goes dead.

Neil takes his phone and hits a few buttons. He shows Flicker a picture of a nursery.

Fuck me senseless if I'm totally wrong about this, Neil thinks.

"My daughter, Flicker. The other woman in my life. That was her mother on the phone. I ... we ... I was looking for something more, but I was one night in her life, really. Still, we had Winter Blossom ... and I wanted you to see her before we go any further. Winter is the best part of my heart and I love her very much."

Neil looks away.

"If you don't want to go, I'll understand."

Emily at first doesn't pay full attention to Flicker singing, but she picks up the emotion in her voice, and looks. And stands there fascinated. And not because what she's doing is incredibly sweet (Neil's so lucky, I wish someone would... no, that road only leads to self-pity), and it was, but because, for that moment, the randomly visible woman reminded her of someone else. Memories she'd been carefully ignoring for two years (And goddamn, why did they have to prepare a sneak attack now?).

She had an idea (Not a good idea, Millie). Ignoring Sean, not out of malice or anger, but simply out of distraction, she wanders over to the karaoke machine, ignoring cries of warning from her own mind (This emotional suicide, Millie, don't bloody do it!). She soon found the song she didn't know she was looking for, and smiled. She should be nervous (You damn well should be, you crazy shit!), but she wasn't. Whether her new self confidence, and it wasn't the first time she'd felt it, came with the creatures of light or not she didn't know, but it was nice to be resolute for a change.

As she went up on stage after Flicker the unicorn that she came on, completely forgotten, broke apart into hundreds of golden flying creatures that came over to her, and whatever control she was keeping over them and her aberration dissolved (Of course, 'Your power activates rather uncontrollably with emotional spikes' mean anything to you? You're losing control, you idiot). Her skin boiled as blue, red and gold creatures sprout from it. Some of them fly, some of them crawl, but all of them swarm around her, reflecting her feelings in some rather obscure color-coded way.

When the screens light up

SUDDENLY I SEE

KT TUNSTALL

EYE TO THE TELESCOPE, 2004

and the guitars (how many times had she listened to this song? Too many) started to play she was scared a moment. Scared at what she was going to do, but it was too late now, wasn't it? She started to sing (and it was a good voice, hers, but that barely mattered, with the raw feeling that was going to be behind it)

Her face is a map of the world

Is a map of the world

You can see she's a beautiful girl

She's a beautiful girl

And everything around her is a silver pool of light

The people who surround her feel the benefit of it

It makes you calm

She holds you captivated in her palm

The song is cheerful enough, but it had always meant different things to her. It was associated to memories that were once happy, but now bittersweet at best.

Suddenly I see

This is what I wanna be

Suddenly I see

Why the hell it means so much to me

The chorus is almost too much for her. She feels the old sadness, the older love, stir, and her power wants to be with her, it wants an outlet. She opens the door to it.

Suddenly I see

This is what I wanna be

Suddenly I see

The creatures around her are released from all control, including, it seems, that of gravity. The gold specks start to float up in the air, until a ton of blue light shoots out of her mouth and swallows the gold, making it of its colour, leaving only gold and red dancing around the edges, as a swarm of blue swirled and adopted strange and beautiful shapes in the air.

And I feel like walking the world

Like walking the world

And you can hear she's a beautiful girl

She's a beautiful girl

She fills up every corner like she's born in black and white

Makes you feel warmer when you're trying to remember

What you heard

She likes to leave you hanging on a word

The power feeds her emotion, which feeds her power. It's so strong it's unbearable, so strong she can feel the memory (feel her), smell it (smell her), taste it (taste her). So strong she feels tears escape her eyes, and the little conscious thought she still has left is glad that the chaos of light makes it nigh impossible, except maybe for those with enhanced perception, to see her face clearly from the crowd.

Suddenly I see

This is what I wanna be

Suddenly I see

Suddenly I see

This is what I wanna be

Suddenly I see

She's lost all control of herself, and her power. She knows only the memory and the music, and gold and red gain strength and mingle with the blue in esoteric designs that dwarf the woman that is the source of it all. They are pure representations of emotional states.

(This is your brain on love)

(This is your brain on regret)

And she's taller than most

And she's looking at me

I can see her eyes looking from a page in a magazine

She makes me feel like I could be a tower

A big strong tower Yeah

She got the power to be

The power to give

The power to see

Yeah Yeah

She got the power to be

The power to give

The power to see

Yeah Yeah

She got the power to be

The power to give

The power to see

Yeah Yeah

She got the power to be

The power to give

The power to see

Yeah Yeah

She got the power to be

The power to give

The power to see

Yeah Yeah

(This is the image of a two hearts that wished to be one)

Suddenly I see

This is what I wanna be

Suddenly I see

Suddenly I see

This is what I wanna be

Suddenly I see

Suddenly I See...

She nearly staggers offstage, as the music dies down, along with the brilliant display. She mutters "I'm okay, I'm okay" to those that even look like they're going to ask, and tries to find a bathroom. Quickly.

Flicker stood transfixed by Neil's revelation, thunderstruck.

"You are full of secrets," she whispered in wonder.

Do I trust him? she asked herself. Another part of herself answered without hesitation: of course. Don't ask stupid questions.

She looked back at the display, and slowly let the image filter into her mind. She felt a familiar part of her node click. Locked on, she thought, let's jump blind.

She held out her hand for Neil. "I'd love to meet Winter," she smiled.

Up on the stage, Emily's light show was just beginning.

Saori watches everyone sing, especially Long. The others certainly seem to be enjoying themselves, and she's having fun watching and clapping. And an idea hits her.

Can I? And then she knows, You have to learn to be a little brave to be with him. Before she can stop herself, she hurries toward the stage and calls up the first song she thinks of. A couple of people titter when they see the ancient song she's dialed up, and she almost runs from the stage. But her cue comes and she raises the microphone and begins to sing:

"Blue moon, you saw me standing alone

Without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own

Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for

You heard me saying a prayer for someone

I really could care for

And then suddenly appeared before me,

the only one my arms could ever hold

I heard somebody whisper 'please adore me'

But when I looked, that moon had turned to gold"

The crowd finds itself listening to her performance, drawn in by a rare, shining appearance of her staggering personality. Suddenly, how old the song is doesn't matter; only the strong emotions that fill her voice, face and even her aura matter.

"Oh oh oh Blue moon, now I'm no longer alone

Without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own

Without a love of my own (Blue moon)"

In the applause that follows, Saori shyly dashes to her seat, forgetting to leave the microphone on stage; the next singer has to come get it from her.

Wakinyan took her seperation from the stinky man as a sign that he was mistaken about the situation. Still he wanted to talk to her again. Ask her how she was doing. There was so much said that night and so much not said since. He stood gave Login a small punch on the shoulder. "Be right back gotta go talk to a friend who just walked in."

With smooth and predatory grace he found himself suddenly beside her. "Cade do you mind if I borrow your teammate for just a moment." Not checking to see if the Cajun nods he takes StormWarden gently by the arm and leads her to a relatively quieter corner of the room.

"I have been watching what is happening with WCK. Well until Sandcaster shut the thing down yesterday. Kayla are you all right?" Kayla goes along docile enough. "Not really, Wakinyan," she answers sadly. "By the way, my real name is Rhayne. Kayla was my sister."

With a puzzled expression the griffin moves closer. "Look I am sorry that I dumped my ideas on you. I am sorry I asked Thoughtwave to show you those things. I thought. I thought it would help you see. I don't understand what you are going through now. Rhayne."

"It did, Wakinyan. It wasn't your fault. I've got ... problems. I'm trying to work through them. I imagine it will take a lot more time than I would like", she shrugs. "Well." He looks away for a moment watching Emily's visual display before turning back to Rhayne. "We all have problems. They don't always just go away. Look at me Rhayne. I was imprisoned and almost put away for a long time because I cannot always control myself. I didn't get better those urges and feelings still brew. I just accept I have to live with them. Maybe you can live with yours."

Rhayne sighs. "Maybe putting me in a cage would make my life easier. I wouldn't have to deal with the constant urge to run away," she sighs again, "but I'm not. I'm going to stick it out for as long as they will have me. I still want to be a Knight ... among other things." With the song winding down Wakinyan has a slightly pained look in his eyes. Not of pity but sorrow. "If I can help you I will. You don't have to be my wife for me to offer you that. You can talk to me as well if you need to. I shared some of the deepest things when I asked Thoughtwave to give you our feelings. I would be remiss not to take your burden if you need help with it Rhayne."

Stormwarden reaches up and strokes his beak. "Thank you. That's very sweet and I will keep it in mind. One of the things my psychiatrist is tells me is that I have to start standing up for my myself ... and that's harder than I thought it would be. I keep messing things up ... but I need to keep working at it. Everyone else does it and I need to do it too ... not give up, but keeping working toward the things I want." The big male sighs and rumbles slightly from the touch. "Is this what you want? Do you need to be a Knight? What is it your are looking for Rhayne? What is it you are wanting so badly that everytime I see you on the show you look like your heart is twisted. If the place causes you so much pain perhaps you should rethink things."

Rhayne smiles sadly. "I want to be in love, Wakinyan, and be loved in return. Sounds simple, but it's so so painful."

Wakinyan tries to sort things through in his mind and comes up with at least a solution that will help her, at least for the moment. "Well if you have to do this on your own then I wish there was some way to.." He pauses.. "Why don't you find a song Rhayne. Find one that talks to your heart and sing it. For that love you want so badly. It might help ease your heart." The griffins long tongue licks lightly across the raven haired beauties cheek. "Why don't you give it a shot?"

He breaks away from her letting his paw slide from her arm before making his way back to his table his mind lost a little in thought as he watches Long's sister take to the stage and sing amazingly enough. Before he realizes it he has walked into Emily hustling to the bathroom.

Sean laughs delightedly and forces a thick Irish accent, "Alright, lass, but you'll be rememberin' when ye could have had a bit o' the green, and ye'll be regrettin' it."

In return, his smile says, 'No, no hard feelings at all.' Still his face was a tad disappointed as he turned his gaze across the room. But the days when he'd give her The Look and force the issue were gone, and he turned to watch the singers start. He still wasn't sure what he was going to sing, yet, though he had some ideas.

First surprise, then amusement shone in Saori's eyes as I took the microphone from her. I had promised her that she wouldn't have to sing unless I did; it was time to uphold my end of the bargain.

Given my voice, my options were few and far between, but I was able to find the needed selection...and was possibly the first person to cue it up at this (or perhaps any other) venue.

The lights on the stage went out. No spot, no footlights, nothing but my stars showing to the audience. That, and the words on the screen:

SET THE CONTROLS FOR THE HEART OF THE SUN

THE PINK FLOYD

A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS, 1968

As the low beat started, and the early experimental electronics kicked in, I let my voice give a whole new twist to the song. This was a piece that usually used reverb; I supplied my own, as I started to sing.

Little by little the night turns around

Counting the leaves which tremble at dawn

Lotuses lean on each other in yearning

Under the leaves the swallow is resting

Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Over the mountain watching the watcher

Breaking the darkness, waking the grapevine

Knowledge of love is knowledge of shadow

Love is the shadow that ripens the wine

The heart of the sun...the heart of the sun...the heart of the sun...

Witness the man who raves at the wall

Making the shape of his question to heaven

Whether the sun will fall in the evening

Will he remember the lesson of giving?

The heart of the sun...the heart of the sun...the heart of the sun...

I let my whispery, echoing voice fade out with the music, and left the stage as the lights came back up.

After Kevin brought the food back to the table he delighted in the mood. Each song he clapped harder for. Each display of quantum he ooohhed and aaahhed like a child at a fourth of july firework display.

Then Saori stood and he went quiet. No need to encourage or joke with her. She was of razor focus and will that drove her to the stage. Then she stayed up there. Then she sang and no one clapped harder in the house when she scurried from the podium.

As Timeslip took the microphone and went up he spoke. "You where excellent!" His radiant smile beamed at her. "I cannot tell you how stunned and impressed! You where like a Novox!" His enthusiasm might be making him exagerrate but to him it seems like an ultimate truth to the universe.

At Kevin's praise, Saori blushes harder than before. "I felt that I should try," she says, her cheeks still glowing with modesty. "I am glad that you enjoyed it."

When Timeslip sang, Saori turns her attention to the stage; her eyes slowly widen as she hears the song. "Kevin!" she gasps, grabbing his arm in an uncharacteristically rough gesture. "Do you hear that? That's Li Shang-Yin's poetry... in song!"

Floyd? Fuck yeah. Now your talking. Thought Warren as he sipped a beer. He listened to th emelody, that harmonic tone that left the words but reforged it into something that was, hers.

He listened, lost for a moment. Some of these songs made alot of sense to those who were projecting them to the crowd. Speaking with melody what they could not say with thier own words.

He felt something deep within himself start to rise up and demand to be noticed. A flood of sensation washed over him and he knew what it was he had to do.

"I gotta piss." he spoke to the barkeeper, who promptly pointed him to the bathroom.

He took his beer with him, in case he got thirsty on the way.

Long listens to the songs and claps appreciatively for each of them. When Saori takes the stage he gives her an amused look and claps profoundly as she finishes. When she returns to the table he encirlces shoulders with his right arm in a sibling embrace. "You did very well Saori that was wonderful."

A look of confusion and amusement crosses his face as Timeslip takes the mic. When she sings he smiles broadly and claps until she returns to her seat. His tail casually slides around her as he pulls her to him. "That was wonderful, Thank you for such a wonderful performance." He purrs softly as he speaks, the vibrations flowing lightly through his tail around her waist and even Saori can feel it from his arm. He's truly happy in his surroundings now.

Slattern sidles up to the controller and chooses a little something to help get some blood pumping and flowing. She taps a few buttons, giggles at some of the truly bad music inside and makes her choice.

She leaps up on stage, picks up the mic starts pumping her hip from side to side as the beat begins.

Tell me exactly

what am I supposed to do?

Now that I have

allowed you to beat me!

Do you think that

we could play another game?

Maybe I can win this time?

I kind of like

the misery you put me through.

Darling, you can trust me

completely.

If you even try

to look the other way,

I think that I could kill this time.

Rah! Rah!

Rah! Rah!

As the music increases in speed she increases the tempo of her dance, whipping into a sensual frenzy.

It doesn't really seem

I'm getting through to you.

Though I see you weeping so sweetly.

I think that you might

have to take another taste,

a little bit of hell this time.

Rah! Rah!

Lie to me!

Rah! Rah!

Lie to me!

Is she not right?

Is she insane?

Will she now run for her life

in the battle that ends this day?

Is she not right?!

Is she insane?!

now that she LIED TO ME!

The song progresses and Slattern's clothing changes. She spins and strips of pvc come whipping away from her and pulling into the rest of her costume. Soon she's dressed in a micro skirt, barely enough bodice and she's carrying a riding crop in the hand not holding the microphone.

You always wanted

people to remember you.

You leave your little mark on

society!

Don't you know your wish

is coming true today?

Another victim dies tonight.

Rah! Rah!

Lie to me!

Rah! Rah!

Lie to me!

Is she not right?

Is she insane?

Is she not right?!

Is she insane?!

now that she LIED TO ME!

Ramidi ma ma ba di ma!

Ramidi ma ma din do!

Ramidi ma ma ba di ma!

Ramidi ma ma ba di mo!

Ramidi ma ma ba di ma!

Ramidi ma ma din do!

Ramidi ma ma ba di ma!

Ramidi ma ma ba di mo!

Ramidi ma ma ba di ma!

Ramidi ma ma din do!

Ramidi ma ma ba di ma!

Ramidi ma ma ba di mo!

Is she really telling lies again?

Doesn't she realize she's in danger?

Eeeeeeeyow!

Is she not right?

Is she insane?

Is she not right?!

Is she insane?!

now that she LIED TO ME!

The little bitch,

she went and she told A LIE!

Now she will never tell another.

A LIE!

The little bitch,

she went and she told A LIE!

NEVER FUCKING LIE TO ME!

As the music comes to a finish she stands smiling. She blows a kiss to the crowd and hops off the stage.

The elation of her song is slowly fading... but her blood rushes through her again as a strange, new sensation floods her. Slattern's performance on the stage makes her shiver so strangely.

Her legs feel funny, almost inside out, and Saori presses her knees together. Deep inside of her, heat and moisture shift and she gasps as pleasure throbs over her.

This is wrong... she thinks, even as she bites her lip and enjoys it.

It's time, Sean realizes, sensing that the mood is right for his song. With a grin, his jacket disappears, absorbing itself into the rest of his clothing. The loss of the coat emphasized the leather pants hugging his impressive body and the green shirt appears to strain to cover his well-muscled chest, back and shoulders.

With a sure grin, he takes the stage and the microphone, pausing only to call up a song. A hard rock sound pours from the speakers, and Sean's grin widens as a few people recognize the song and whoop enthusiastically.

"I, I'm driving black on black

Just got my license back

I got this feeling in my veins this train is coming off the track

I'll ask polite if the devil needs a ride

Because the angel on my right ain't hanging out with me tonight"

Sean nods to the spot on his right without missing a beat,

"I'm driving past your house while you were sneaking out

I got the car door opened up so you can jump in on the run

Your mom don't know that you were missing

She'd be pissed if she could see the parts of you that I've been kissing"

Sean throws a wink out to the audience and keeps going,

"Screamin'

No, we're never gonna quit

Ain't nothing wrong with it

Just acting like we're animals

No, no matter where we go

'Cause everybody knows

We're just a couple of animals

So come on baby, get in

Get in, just get in

Check out the trouble we're in

Sean stalks the stage, grinning at women... all but one. Her, his eyes skim over carefully...

"You're beside me on the seat

Got your hand between my knees

And you control how fast we go by just how hard you wanna squeeze

It's hard to steer when you're breathing in my ear

But I got both hands on the wheel while you got both hands on my gears"

At this, Sean thrusts his hips forward, rising up on his toes with a scandelous smile. Again, he continues without missing the beat.

By now, no doubt that we were heading south

I guess nobody ever taught her not to speak with a full mouth

'Cause this was it, like flicking on a switch

It felt so good I almost drove into the ditch

I'm screamin'

So come on baby, get in

Get in, just get in

Look at the trouble we're in

We were parked out by the tracks

We're sitting in the back

And we just started getting busy

When she whispered "what was that?"

The wind, I think 'cause no one else knows where we are

And that was when she started screamin'

"That's my dad outside the car!"

Oh please, the keys, they're not in the ignition

Must have wound up on the floor while

we were switching our positions

I guess they knew that she was missing

As I tried to tell her dad it was her mouth that I was kissing

Screamin'

So come on baby, get in

We're just a couple of animals

Get in, just get in

Ain't nothing wrong with it

Check out the trouble we're in

Get in, just get in"

A few more hard chords, and the music stops. Sean stops too, his arms shooting up in the air in a mixture of joy and elation. He gives one last, enthuastic "Yeah!" before turning over the mike and retrieving his drink. He sits down in a seat, his face still glowing from exhertion and just sheer pleasure.

Ligth flares on the stage as a late arrival appears. A young boy with hair of golden blonde stands on stage. Red ribbons are attached to wrist, elbow, knee and ankle, and they trail over the floor like cut cords. The boy steps forward and quickly sets the song and grabs the microphone. "This song is dedicated to my sister," he says softly, his voice young and flat. Stepping back to his spot, his body sags forward... and the more perceptive watchers realize he's sagging like a puppet with it's strings cut...

A single drum-beat sounds, followed by the strangle undulating wail of some instrument. The drum beats arhythmically before evening out as a piano chord enters the song. Moving with an artifical stiffness, the boy raises his head and sings.

"You lie silent there before me

your tears they mean nothing to me

the wind howling at the window

the love you never gave

I give to you

Really don't deserve it

but now there's nothing you can do

so sleep in your only memory of me

my dearest sister

Here's a lullaby to close your eyes good-bye

it was always you that I despised

I don't feel enough for you to cry oh well

here's a lullaby to close your eyes good-bye

goodbye

goodbye

So insignificant

sleeping dormant deep inside of me

are you hiding away lost

under the sewers

maybe flying high in the clouds

perhaps you're happy without me

so many seeds have been sown in the field

and who could sprout up so blessedly

if I had died

I would have never felt sad at all

you will not hear me say I'm sorry

where is the light

wonder if it's weeping somewhere

good-bye

good-bye

good-bye

good-bye"

The song stops for a heartbeat before swelling back to life for one last haunting refrain:

"Here's a lullaby to close your eyes good-bye

good-bye

good-bye

good-bye

good-bye "

The music disintegrates into static and fades away. As a hesitant applause starts up, the boy raises his head and says, "Mom and Dad send their love, Clark." As a few in the audience react to the name, the boy disappears in another flare of light, leaving the microphone to drop to an empty stage.

All of Procyon's misgivings about attending disappear once the singing starts. This is why he came, to have fun and see people having fun. He whistles loudly and appreciatively at the end of Wakinyan's opening number and applauds Long's admittedly unconventional choice. Neil Preston's world-weary rendition of the anthem of world-weariness moves him deeply, and he marvels at the depth this young man displays, having observed him heal the beautiful Saori, the shy young woman staying close to Long. The young girl up next's choice is unfamiliar to him, but the rhythm and staccato wording seems to fit her like a eufiber glove, and he applauds her as she finishes.

The flickering young woman up next sings a love song, obviously to Preston, who she seems to be very attached to. He smiles as he sees the raw emotion in her gaze as she looks at the object of her love, and he reminisces of times gone past with a faint prickling in his own eyes. He applauds her unreservedly as she steps down.

The colorful young nova woman, who seems able to make constructs of light and force, brings a smile to his face as he recognises her choice. And then, surprisingly, the shy young Saori steps up onto the stage and sings a beautiful rendition of a classic song. He smiles and applauds, charmed at her shy rush to get away from the stage.

Timeslip's choice was wonderful, the Terat's voice perfect for it. Procyon gave her a short but profound bow of respect as she finished, his blue eyes dancing with admiration as he applauded. Slattern brought the house down, literally. Procyon watched her whole performance breathlessly, even his inhuman calm succumbing to her sensual and commanding performance. He wolf-whistled as she got down, giving the devil her due.

Shaking his head to clear it, he saw Chaos take the stage, his eyes roving over the man's body and wondering if the t-shirt was humor or invitation. The Terat's song was a good one, making the pulse pound and the feet tap, and Procyon cheered loudly at the finish.

The arrival of the child confused him, the song he sang poignant, the meaning all too clear apparently to some within the audience. As the crowd settled down, Procyon watched faces and attempted to figure out the riddle there.

Finally, he galvanised himself into action, moving to the stage and leaping lightly up to take the microphone from the cradle. His fingers danced over the screens, selecting the song that had been on his mind to sing.

TRACK: INNUENDO

ARTIST: QUEEN

YEAR: 1991

As the opening drumroll sounds like the herald of at death-defying feat, Procyon moves away from the screens to the front of the stage, the golden hazy light around him seeming to pulse sympathetically as the heavy, driving beat commences. Strings and electric guitar mix and swirl together, and he sings.

While the sun hangs in the sky and the desert has sand

While the waves crash in the sea and meet the land

While there's a wind and the stars and the rainbow

Till the mountains crumble into the plain

His voice is pure baritone, unearthly, inhuman, and awesome in its beauty. He moves unobtrusively with the beat, his sapphire gaze taking in the room, meeting every eye that will meet his as he launches into the chorus.

Yes! We'll keep on trying

Treading that fine line

Oh, we'll keep on trying, yeah

Just passing our time

The tune is like thunder overhead and around him, at odds and yet complementing the hopeful defiance of the words.

While we live according to race, colour or creed...

While we rule by blind madness and pure greed...

Our lives dictated by tradition, superstition, false religion...

Through the aeons, and on, and on!

Yes! We'll keep on trying

Treading that fine line

Oh, we'll keep on trying, yeah

Just passing our time

The beat quiets, the melody becomes a single guitar delicately picking out a plaintive call echoed by the next lyrics. Procyon looks out at the crowd, his achingly beautiful voice seeming to single each person out.

Through the sorrow, all through our splendour

Don't take offence at my innuendo...

The music swells into a joyous upsurge, and he makes a sweeping gesture with his left hand, indicating the whole room.

You can be anything you want to be,

Just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be.

Be free with your tempo, be free be free

Surrender your ego, be free, be free to yourself!

The last word stretches out, reverberating through the room, before the music collapses back into the pulse-beat of the drums and strings, and the song enters its last verse.

If there's a God, or any kind of justice under the sky.

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die.

If there's an answer to the questions we feel bound to ask...

Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask!

The verse ends with a triumphant challenge, Procyon's eyes blazing as brightly as his aura as he launches into the final chorus.

Oh Yes! We'll keep on trying

Hey! Treading that fine line

Yeah! We'll keep on smiling.

And whatever will be...

Will be!

We'll just keep on trying,

We'll just keep on trying.

Till the end of time.

Till the end of time.

Till the end of time!

The last notes of the song die away, and Procyon bows his head to the audience, smiling softly as he replaces the microphone in the cradle and steps down from the stage. He threads his way back over towards his drink, smiling at those he meets on the way.

She bumps into Wakinyan, barely realizing he's there until she bounces back a few steps, leaving a few worms of light crawling over his body. Her tearful eyes are pointed towards him, but they are as much looking past him than at him. She's obviously not all there.

"I-I'm sorry," she stutters, "I'm okay," she lies.

She walks, almost runs, past him and into the women's bathroom, closing, almost slamming, the door behind her. For a moment she just stands there, barely registering that there is someone else in the room, the lights that accompany her flickering garishly between red, pink, purple, blue and gold. She stands there, hoping to gather up some composure.

She fails, the side-effects of her use of quantum hammer her again, and for a moment she's back there, back then, but a moment later it's taken away again. Her last bit of self-control breaks, and she dashes a few steps and vomits into a toilet bowl, and her mind announces her failure (You fucked up, Millie, you thought it was going to be catharsis, not revival). She starts crying, as she loses practically all choice in the matter.

Cade nods and claps for each performance, everyone was having such a great time. He noticed the disappearance of Neil and Flicker, and the young nova Emily's absence as well. He shrugs and laughs at Sean's song choice and he nods while tipping his phantom hat to Slattern in appreciation of her song. "Reports of your beauty were not exagerated. That was a masterful performance."

Cade nods to Procyon,the man's rich full voice was a welcome addition to the ensemble of voices being heard tonight.

He steps up onto the stage and takes the microphone from the cradle after calling up his own song and starts to sing.

"Becky was a beauty from south Alabama

Her daddy had a heart like a nine-pound hammer

Think he even did a little time in the slammer

What was I thinkin'

She snuck out one night and met me by the front gate

Her daddy came out wavin' that twelve gauge

We tore out the drive he peppered my tailgate

What was I thinkin'

Oh, I knew there'd be hell to pay

But that crossed my mind a little too late...'cause I was

Thinkin''bout a little white tank top sittin' right

There in the middle by me

I was thinkin''bout a long kiss man just gotta get

Goin' where the night might lead

I know what I was feelin'

But what was I thinkin'...what was I thinkin'

By the county line the cops were nippin' on our heels

Pulled off the road and kicked it in four-wheel

Shut off the lights and tore through the corn field

What was I thinkin'

Out the other side she was hollerin' faster

Took a dirt road and had the radio blastin'

Hit the honky tonk for a little close dancin'

What was I thinkin'

Oh, I knew there'd be hell to pay

But that crossed my mind a little too late...'cause I was

But what was I thinkin'...what was i thinkin'

When a mountain of a man with a "born to kill" tattoo

Tried to cut in I knocked out his front tooth

We ran outside hood-slidin' like bo duke

What was I thinkin'

I finally got her home at a half past too late

Her daddy's in a lawn chair sittin' on the driveway

Put it in park as he started my way

What was I thinkin', oh what was I thinkin'

Then she gave a come-and-get-me grin

And like a bullet we were gone again... 'cause I was

But what was I thinkin'...what was I thinkin"

Cade trails off as the song dies down and nods. He starts to return to his seat alone, and Long motions for him to come over to him. He takes the offered seat at Long's table. "No flair tonight Michael?" That was so bland for you."

"I don't know Ryu, just couldn't find the one I originally wanted to sing. So I just picked one of the others I knew." They both chuckle at that and then smile.

"Timeslip, Saori, allow me to introduce Michael Alistaire, the former Elite Cade, Now a Windy City Knight. He and I have a long and colorful history built around an old rivalry."

Cade bows slightly to each of them nodding. "It's such a pleasure to meet you both. Your songs were outstanding. I do hope you can both be convinced to sing another." He gives them his winning smile, hoping that they don't judge him too poorly for he and Ryu's old rivalry.

Silvertalon watches sliently from the shadowed area of the bar keeping mostly out of sight with a bemused look as each of the contestances take their turns singing their songs. To her this is something strange not the typical songs you would hear in the woods ya know.

She contuies to munch on the snacks and finally finishes off the punch bowl oddly feeling very full and a little sick from eating to much but strangely yet filling. She tilts her head to the side just checking out those she notices as males in the crowd in curiosity or more so like one just checking others out.

There had been a mixture of performances - some merely good, some outstanding. Even that bastard Sean managed a decent number, if all too appropriate for his fuck-and-run attitude. I had wondered how much of that he had retained now that he was a member of those idiots in Chicago; enough, apparently.

And then, the young boy that appeared on stage. A truly haunting performance of a truly haunting piece, but the performer was somehow...wrong. The puppet act was a tad too good, and the performance itself, while heartfelt on some level, a bit too forced. Then, the closing dedication...and it clicked. Clark....the Prince had a daughter named Clark.

The Prince had been something of a sore spot with the Network in recent months. Until his Chrysalis, the man who could shame Machiavelli had been one of the finest Casablancas imaginable, with skills that rivalled that of Orzaiz. But something had gone very, very wrong during his evolution; what emerged from the transformative state was altogether different in body and mind, and almost immediately realigned himself with the Harvesters. There has been some mutterings in the grapevine about a split amongst his family, and some nasty business that involved the Hound, but not much was certain...or at least, not much that had reached my ears. Until now.

So the Prince's daughter is split from him...and someone is sending a very personal message to try to get her back. There were a variety of opportunities - and dangers - presented here, and I resolved to address them as soon as this gathering was completed...or perhaps before, given some of those present. As Procyon started into his tribute to Queen, I silently sent to Long, *Looks like the rumors were true, and the Prince is split from his daughter Clark. She could be very, very useful to the Network.* Looking at the stage, I added, *You may want to have a quiet talk with Procyon when you get the opportunity. And if you happened to make note of that boy's signature before he disappeared, so much the better.*

Emily feels a cool hand on her shoulder.

"It will be okay," a voice whispers to her. "Come on now, please. What's wrong?"

Stormwarden pulls Emily's hair back to keep them out of the toilet, and holds them behind her head. Her other hand slowly massage's Emily's back. The tall indian nova kneels beside the young scottish girl, her eyes large pools of concern.

You know, a little carousing wouldnt hurt much.

Nice try. You want me out there mingling so when things start going well you can fuck it up for me. No thanks. Besides, these pizza rolls are good.

Suit yourself Warren, but you know as well as we do: We take only as much slack as were given.

The last thing the Whispers said lingered with Warren for a moment. He glanced up, looking into the mirror behind the bar, to see Cade walking off the stage.

With his arms folded in front of him he just sits, tipping a beer to his lips every now and again. Occasionally looking into the mirror to see what is going on around him.

Emily hears her heartbeat thumping in her head, and recognizes the feeling. The thing inside her feels her pain and it opens an eye from its slumber (No! It's no threat! Go back to sleep, please, go back to sleep!). It obeys her, thank god, and she can think clearly again, although the wound she pried open is still bleeding, and tears are still in her eyes. Her hair loses its style, its colour, in the other woman's hands, returning to its natural shoulder-length dirty blonde.

(Oy, Millie, someone is talking to you)

She looks back, and just stares at Stormwarden for a few moments as her mind tries to catch up to everything that's happening through the emotional flood unleashed by her little stunt.

"I'm okay, really," an obvious lie, "emotional outbreaks are a side-effect of my power."

(That's a nice explanation, and partly true, to boot, now you only have to pray she's stupid enough to swallow it)

Kevin for his part nods enthusiastically at Saori and when her body flushes he makes no mention or seems to notice. "Isn't this an awesome experience? It is amazing how Qi can change even the most simple things in life like a party!"

"Interesting act all of these are. Everyone brings something different to the stage. Timeslip your performance was wonderful." Kevin speaks across the table.

Stormwarden's large, brown eyes take in the crouching nova and she nods in total sympathy.

"Ssshhh ..." she whispers then leand in and kisses Emily on the forehead.

"You sang," Rhayne says quietly, lips only inches away from Emily's, "and the pain came out. I know about that, the pain. They tell me it will go away in time, but does it really?"

Stormwarden shakes her head and black strands float about them.

"I know that being alone isn't good for you, though ... or me either."

She puts a finger and thumb on Emily's chin and gazes into her eyes.

"Come ... lean on me and together we might make it through this night together."

Rhayne's own eyes seem pained, but she manages a brave front.

Emily stares directly into the other nova's eyes. She at least seemed to be all there, without the strange expression of being lost that she had held before, but something about her tells Stormwarden that rational thought is currently out of the picture and running just to keep up (Are you crazy? You can't trust her! Who is she anyway?). Right now, right here, all that mattered was the wound, and someone offering, if not to heal it, at least to dull the pain. She goes forward and leans her head on the other woman's shoulder, closing her eyes, and for a moment her mind manages to fool her again, make her believe she's somewhere else, with someone else, and when the flitting illusion fades, tears dampen Stormwarden's skin.

Stormwarden gently brushes the hair out of Emily's face and kisses her forehead lightly.

"Its going to be okay," she whispers as tears begin escaping her own eyes. One hand keeps rubbing Emily mid-back and the other comes to rest lightly on her hip.

"I'm Rhayne," she whispers. "Who are you?"

Archived