Litany

Hugin

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
The police in several cities might figure out they had a serial killer when more bodies turned up (although they might also not care for a while). The police would look into it, but even if he killed two people like that in every major city in the US, he could go a long time before anyone figured out they were dealing with a nova serial killer.
Actually, I would venture that Preston or someone like him would have been called in check out the pattern once it was noticed. Granted, the amount of time it would take for said pattern to be noticed might be awhile...

As I recall, this was before Preston showed up as a character - think before he erupted, but I might be wrong on both counts. Regardless, who says Preston could catch him? Teleporters can leave your jurisdiction real fast, and it's not 'hot pursuit' if you can't follow them immediately.

Murderous teleporters are a beuracractic nightmare, a law enforcement nightmare, and a few other shades of nightmare as well.

If the've got clone too, ick. Your only real chance is to get lucky, or wait for them to mess up.

Well, I was more saying that Preston would have been asked to help by some entity (Feds, Directive, etc) that noticed a certain pattern across the country, hence justifying the request for his particular abilities. Plus he wouldn't necessarily be chasing the perp, just investigating the possible coincidence.

Besides, Preston was just an example, any pretercog nova could fit the part.

Actually, you're incorrect Signy. References to pre Galatea Novas exist in other books, Project Utopia for example.

Regardless of that, I could come in and play Ash now, minus the Q6 which is not allowed for a new character. I can do this because being pre N-day and being q6 don't define this character. Strip those two things away and I still have a very strong character concept that isn't dependant on those two facets to survive.

Case in point: I've never made reference to her date of eruption in-character until STRANGERS was written, minus a conversation with Jager that occurred off forum. Had it never been mentioned, it wouldn't even be considered part of the character. Had I never used it, it wouldn't be an issue. The character has been here since before the forums even existed, and it has never been necessary for Ash to use her age as part of her interaction.

People assume what they want about her. BUT, as I never made reference to it, it was never an issue. There would have been no reason for you to assume she was anything more than a prolific terat, except that her backstory became OOC knowledge with the character contest.

To sum up, I don't need to be pre Galatea or Q6 to be a force of contention in this type of story. Ash's words and beliefs aren't any less powerful if you strip that from her, as they were never necessary to me to play with her to begin with.

Had I been unable to use q6 or pre Galatea eruption upon first coming here, I could and would have played her as a q5 post galatea character. It isn't that important.

Which then raises the questions, who "notices a certain pattern across the country", and how do they do so?

The FBI might, but then they might not. If two people in different cities get killed at about the same time, by definition that might mean you have two or more killers.

Drag multiple other countries into the equation and you have a real mess, I'm not sure *anyone* is in a possition to notice.

As for "any pretercog nova could fit the part", pretercog probably needs a specific focus (although the power doesn't say so). I.e. the head of Argus focuses on disasters.

In any case, you need to know that you have a nova serial killer before you ask a pretercog to check to see if you have a nova serial killer.

It is much more likely that someone with mega-int might pick up on this.

Quote:
In any case, you need to know that you have a nova serial killer before you ask a pretercog to check to see if you have a nova serial killer.

It is much more likely that someone with mega-int might pick up on this.
Yea, I was just giving a possible option for ramifications. I'm not saying they should be used, just brainstorming ways to work with what happened. Assuming people would want to work with what happened.

Franklin:

The timeline goes Adventure (1920's) - Aberrant(early 21st century) - Trinity (22nd century)

The event that started the Adventure timeline (were you have proto-novas, proto-psis, and Inspired humans called Daredevils) was called the Hammersmith Explosion. Max Mercer (the founder of the Aeon Society) and Divis Mal (called Michael Donigal back then) were right there.

One of the theories running around is that Divis Mal attempted to recreate the experiment in 1998, setting of the Nova Age and the Aberrant setting.

As for Signy's claims, I would have to give that a big NO. No, she can't recreate it. That is a complete canon violation, as well as game-wise unlikely. These were Epoch altering events, not something for players to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Preston:
Franklin:
The timeline goes Adventure (1920's) - Aberrant(early 21st century) - Trinity (22nd century)

The event that started the Adventure timeline (were you have proto-novas, proto-psis, and Inspired humans called Daredevils) was called the Hammersmith Explosion. Max Mercer (the founder of the Aeon Society) and Divis Mal (called Michael Donigal back then) were right there.

One of the theories running around is that Divis Mal attempted to recreate the experiment in 1998, setting of the Nova Age and the Aberrant setting.
Yep, I know, I was just getting lost in Signy's terms/mispelling. For someone to do the same thing ol' Michael did in 1998 would require some serious power, something beyond the powers any PC should ever have. Or at least any active PC.

I got some interesting info regarding that from Conrad at GenCon back in '00 but I had to sign the NDA at the time. I can't remember the name of the other White Wolf guy that was there, but he was rather pissed off when Conrad confirmed that Divis Mal was around during Adventure and set off the nova age until he was reminded the developer had said as much six months earlier during an online chat.

Quote:
Preston:As for Signy's claims, I would have to give that a big NO. No, she can't recreate it. That is a complete canon violation, as well as game-wise unlikely. These were Epoch altering events, not something for players to do.
The specific power needed to do this is Quantum Supremacy & probably a powermax.

Alternatively, you'd need to gadget something up, and to do that you'd need some idea of what you were working towards.

Worse, it seems likely that modern theory is missing the part that allows for his creations existence. In other words, Hammersmith's discovery was a suprise and an accident. A modern scientist trying to get something like that would likely fail because he wouldn't duplicate Hammersmith's mistakes.

What we need is a new theory, just look was became possible after Eistein made his. Making an A-bomb would have been insanely difficult before this.

I wish I had a fiddle, just so I could play it while continuity burned.

Not that I am generally the sort to revel in mayhem, but cluster-fucks of this rare variety come along only once in awhile, and as per usual, it's all my fault. Hence, the fiddle.

Ashnod

Is the nova from 'Expose; Aberrants' you're referring to be Kimberly Dame? If so, I don't mean to split hairs, but you're incorrect. She wasn't a pre-Galatea nova, she was just really old when she erupted and got her youth back.

I don't have the book on-hand, so that might not be who you were talking about. My apologies if I'm wrong, I just wanted to offer up a clarification if that was the case.

Totem

Now you're getting the idea. laugh

Doc Troll

Thanks for the back-up shout on that matter. Those are some valid points that I hadn't even really thought of.

Glenn

You, too. To add to that, not only was Avenger a 'porter, but he had the Combat extra. He could literally be gone in the blink of an eye, and to make matters worse, even back then he had a few ranks of the Mega-Wits Enhancement Quickness. Makes a man very, very hard to catch.

Also, everyone should bear in mind that Avenger's "war" (reign of terror?) lasted a short while in the grand scheme of things. It would have taken law enforcement a couple of months at least to get wise, and even then, they had less than a year to find and apprehend him before he stopped cold.

Oh, no, sorry, the mistake was mine. I missed the comment you made about elderly people erupting to begin with, so when you mentioned Dame in a later post as an "old" eruption, I thought you meant pre-Galatea. Sorry!

Just to be sure we're on the same page, here, I believe 'Teragen' states that Jeremiah Scripture erupted when the Galatea exploded, while he was meditating. The inference I got was that he was already Mal's lover at the time and had an idea of what was going to happen, so he prepared himself appropriately.

Quote:
Quote:
Preston:As for Signy's claims, I would have to give that a big NO. No, she can't recreate it. That is a complete canon violation, as well as game-wise unlikely. These were Epoch altering events, not something for players to do.
The specific power needed to do this is Quantum Supremacy & probably a powermax.

Alternatively, you'd need to gadget something up, and to do that you'd need some idea of what you were working towards.

Worse, it seems likely that modern theory is missing the part that allows for his creations existence. In other words, Hammersmith's discovery was a suprise and an accident. A modern scientist trying to get something like that would likely fail because he wouldn't duplicate Hammersmith's mistakes.

What we need is a new theory, just look was became possible after Eistein made his. Making an A-bomb would have been insanely difficult before this.
Ah, but your forgetting something big.Some novas can go back in time, if only using their minds.And spending a year to make another N-day to some novas would not be a fruitless use of time.

Ashnod, if you are referring to the report in witch a NPC refers to a man being saved from a train,then I can say this.Inspired.Nothing so big as to not be do able by a stalwart.

So, unless you have other proof of pre N-day novas, you only have counterdicting and hear say evidence of any novas predating N-day,other than Mal.

I don't have to offer up "evidence." This is isn't an argument. The references are scattered throughout the books in bits and pieces, and said in black and white in the APG. You can choose to do with them what you will, interpret them how you wish to, ignore them if you dislike them. Nonetheless they are there.

Now, we're done with this. Drop it. You've made it known that you don't like the idea of Pre-Galatea novas. Fine, we've all listened. There's nothing more that needs to said. It's in the rules and you don't like them, or the source where they came from. Fine.

Just drop it for crying out loud. If it REALLY bothers you that much, take it up with the moderators or the administrators and if they agree with you, they'll ask me to change things.

Signy, I tell you what:

In a Table Top game, you can try to do this, and if the ST allows it, more power to you.

As an ST, I would not allow it.

Looking back at that time would be like looking straight into the birth of a star. The whole incident would be too powerful for anyone without Quantum Authority to see through it, around it, or most things associated with it.

If I was a player, I would scream bloody murder, unless. Again, it is an Epic Event, not for PC's unless it is understood that it is that type of game.

In this shared environment, this would be just plain wrong.

Anything an inspired can do, a nova can do better.

Compare regeneration in A! and to that in AB to see the truth of it. God is in the details on this one.

I'm not sure what the argument is on about here. There's been roughly 5 novas per century throughout the world for quite a while and that's quoting from the books. None know for certain what Donighal was before Hammersmith though the developers say they treat him as a low level nova (15pt). Can't see that it matters whether he was a nova pushed to the pinnacle of evolution in a moment of thunder and power, or that he was just a talented man and became a nova.

It's his life not our characters and affects nothing much.

Signy, Jager

From our dear friend Dr. Troll;

Hammersmith's discovery was a suprise and an accident. A modern scientist trying to get something like that would likely fail because he wouldn't duplicate Hammersmith's mistakes.

Word, Troll. Word.

Archived