"Local Spirits Served Here"

Wing

"Local Spirits Served Here". The sign hangs in the front window of The Lion's Den, a bar on the corner of Queens and Victoria. Something about it, the way it hangs perhaps, draws your eye to the Art Deco mural on the wall surrounding the door. Your eyes wander until you notice that where the lines and curves of one panel meet the next there is hidden the glyph in First Tongue for Half Moon and next to it the glyph for Storm Lord. Only having seen these can you see the others, present but less prominent. You've passed by the place before, no doubt, but the sign and the mural are both recent.

Inside, the air smells faintly of freon from the air conditioning and faintly of the hisil. From behind the bar, a tall lean black man smiles at you Okpere written on a silver-on-black nametag. "Are you here about the sign in the window", he asks, his accent thinly veiled but Nigerian to the discerning listener.

The day had been a bust for Megan, Getting around wasn't that hard as long as she stayed in the side streets and back ways anyone who saw her just thought they had seen a very large dog after all who expected to see a wolf in a busy city district. But she had found no place that was interested in even giving her an audition let alone hiring her sight unheard, really what had she expected anyway, that she would come to another country and that they would all just line up to kiss her ass.

She came out of the small convenience store where she had bought a trade paper to look for a job when she got back to the hotel, any job. Folding the paper up and tucking it into her purse she turned to sneak around to the back of the store when her eye caught the sign on a bar at the corner across the street The Lion's Den. She chuckled there had been a Lion's Den back home in Seattle, but she doubted that this one had dancers selling $10 blowjobs in the backrooms. As she started to go on something made her look again at the sign, tilting her head her eye was drawn away for the sign itself to the mural on the wall surrounding the door. She whispered a quick thank you to the spirits and crossed the road to take a closer look and make sure of what she thought she was seeing.

Sure enough she made out the glyph of the Half moon, and here the full, then her smile broadened as she traced the sign of the Gibbous Moon Her Moon. She peered in the window, the bar wasn't crowded that much she could see looking past the sign. It was the first bit of luck she had had since leaving Norway and her past behind. Steeling her self not knowing what would happen since she could very well be acussed of encroaching but truly she had no choice and maybe she could at least find a little guidance.

Inside, the air smells faintly of freon from the air conditioning and faintly of the hisil. From behind the bar, a tall lean black man smiles at you Okpere written on a silver-on-black nametag. "Are you here about the sign in the window", he asks, his accent thinly veiled but Nigerian to the discerning listener.

Megan looks around the bar noting the small stage area. The only other people in the bar were four men sitting together playing some sort of table game a couple of them glanced her way then quickly go back to their game. She looks up when the barman speaks to her and standing tall she strides across the intervening space to stand before the tall Man. "I couldn't help but admire it and the fine detail of the Mural around the door. My compliments to the artist." Her voice is a strong and pleasant contralto with an American accent but it has that slightly unssed sound like she has been speaking another language for a good and is out of practice with her mother tongue. "My name is Megan, I'm newly arrived here in Cape Town, you're bar looked friendly."

"The owner likes us to be welcoming and friendly", Okpere says with a genuinely warm grin, as he palces a glass of amber colored alcohol in front of her. The smell of the hisil is faint, but he is definitely the source, "He should be here soon, until then the first drink is on the house".

"Thank you." Megan gives the barman a smile as she lifts the glass and brings it to her lips. The scent of the amber liquid is not familiar and the silky hot fire of its taste when it hits her tongue ignites her senses and opens her  inner eye. The vision burned into her memory as did the alcohol in her belly, she put the glass on the bar top, A waking vision, something she had never expected to experience. Kala had told of those even boasted that she had had them in the past though for the two years Megan had been in the pack Kala had boasted about a lot of things but did little except warm Erik's bed, she quickly forced the rising anger down. "That, my friend is a very potent drink." Seeing his answering smile she changes the subject to one of more immediacy to her and her predicament.

"Like i was saying I'm new here, and was wondering if maybe you could use some help here," She then points back to the low stage, "or entertainment for the bar?"

Darrik sashayed through the doorway of the Lion's Den dressed fabulously and looking for fun. And for a hidden layer of investigation. He'd heard about this new establishment. Promising, in the upper-class areas he knew very very well - made their own whiskey and vodka. And the curious sign out front. Mavuto had insisted enough that Darrik as an Elodoth had a job of handling business with otherworldly entities, and to keep an eye out for hidden entities.

Discerning that from the sign's wording alone had seemed.... dubious to Darrik. But recognizing the hidden glyph of the First Tongue was enough to persuade him to take the older man's advice more seriously here.

Up at the bar itself, there was a nice looking woman, and the barman himself wasn't bad at all. Darrik grinned and came in leaning against the railing. "I hear this place makes its own. I hope that sign outside isn't just for show."

Megan glances to the side as the new customer comes up to the bar, what she sees is a very good looking man dressed impeccably oozing confidence and sex appeal so hard she can smell it. and it's a very enticing smell. turning and leaning her back against the bar the glass with the amber liquid in hand, mabye, she thinks to herself, what I need is a little diversion after all is has been a shitty week.

"If this is the stuff your talking about," She holds up her glass, "I can attest to its potency."

• Matt unpinned this topic

Archived