Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - Aftermath

Mech

It was late into the evening that Connor finally managed to make it back to the hotel, shower, and change. The entire experience with Supreme left him at a loss. It was all so real, and though so little time passed outwardly, he had weeks of memories with Kitty, and the rest of the crew on a movie that never was, or would be.

Before setting about making a surprisingly large number of children happy, he'd shot a Text to Kitty to ask her to meet him in the lobby of the Westgate Marriot at eight.

It would be a late dinner, but after something like they'd gone through together, well, he knew they should talk, and more he wanted to talk to her.

He dressed casually, still managing to look ever the Dashing hero of any picture you cared to name, a veritable avatar of Adonis, perfect in every way, as he sat in the lobby, reading the day's paper. The talking Heads on the Tv gave their opinions on potential nova threats, that is, novas who could become major threats.

It wasn't something he liked to consider, that some would use the gifts of quantum for darker ends, but one he knew in his bones to be true. If the those who looked to walk in the Light could think in darker terms, surely too could others.

That his own name came up did surprise him. They spoke of his known abilities, and their darker uses. "I'm sure the Director is positively thrilled this drivel made it on the air.."

He sighed. people thinking dark thoughts regarding those who sought only to help others, It was a sorry state of things to find the world in. Not that it was new, but For him, to be included as one with potential for great malice, that was new, and most unwelcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Kitty was still shaky as she left her room. A shower hadn’t helped her calm down, and even the power bar she’d eaten hadn’t settled her nerves. The memories that had been implanted in her head wouldn’t stop bothering her. It was like she’d lived eight weeks that had never existed. The site wasn’t real; the friends she’d made on the site weren’t real. She’d liked the movie they’d been making and to suddenly learn it would never be had her feeling anchorless.

You’re being silly. The self-recrimination did nothing to stop her thoughts or even the weird grief. That was the problem: something had been taken from her and her heartache was compounded by the fact that it had never existed. It was like feeling loss after an electronic pet died.

Her phone buzzed softly and Kitty looked down at it. It had trained her well; she always responded to the little devices beeps and noises. This time, it was a text from Connor. Kitty read it twice, feeling her stomach flutter a little. Dinner with Connor: once, she’d have been giddy to receive such a message. That was months ago, before that girl Karrie and Hayley’s death.

I’ve changed. Kitty sighed to herself, wondering when that had happened. It was inevitable but she hadn’t seen it until now. Her phone had been clasped loosely in her hand; now she held it up and quickly typed an acknowledgement to Connor. Then she pulled on a comfortable pair of worn jeans—modified for her tail, of course—and a clingy blue sweater, and went downstairs.

Even wearing casual clothing, barefoot, and with her tail swinging lazily behind her, people turned to stare. Kitty drew eyes; she always had and always would. She’d enjoyed it at first; now it was normal. She couldn’t remember what it was like to be inconspicuous; to be unseen in a crowd.

Connor was beautiful; Kitty smiled when she saw him, sitting and reading. He was getting his fair share of stares, too, and he was ignoring them as completely as she was. They’d helped each other get over their self-awareness of rubbernecking. Of course, Connor hadn’t enjoyed it, not like she had. Men were funny about other men staring at them, while Kitty had just adored the attention. “Hey, you,” she called when she was close enough to speak. “You texted?”

He looked up at her and smiled, before folding the paper and standing. "Kitty, you look great." He nodded. "Not the first time you heard that I know, but it's no less true."

He rose up, and embraced her lightly, "I feel like I spent eight weeks wanting to do that."

He didn't blush, but his heart beat a little bit faster and he nodded. "I just wanted to catch up with you and talk with you, concerning some things."

"I figured a late dinner, maybe a late movie if you want, is something we'd both enjoy." There was nothing but sincerity in his voice. It was almost like when they were both a few years younger, when they first met.

How's that sound?" his grin was impish and almost mischievous, promising that he'd make it a fun evening, as always.

Kitty smiled as he hugged her; he was the same old Connor. At least, his hug felt the same, warm and comforting. He gave very good hugs. And his offer sounded good, but Kitty wasn’t sure she could handle it. She didn’t want dinner and a movie with that woman sitting between them like a bitchy, angry ghost.

“Let’s start with dinner and see where we go after that, okay?” she answered.

The faintest hint of disappointment flickered across his features before Connor said, “Dinner it is, then. I think the hotel will serve American food.”

“Connor, do you really think I have an issue with raw fish?” she asked with a laugh, her feloid tail sweeping up high enough to be obvious in the conversation. He joined her amusement with a deep chuckle, offering his arm to her. Together they strolled to the restaurant, chatting about the oddities that one always saw in Japan. It was truly an alien culture to their Western ways, and even in the Westernized hotel, the foreignness was apparent.

At the restaurant, the manager came out to greet them, bowing low. Without asking, he took them to a private room, where they could talk in privacy. They had western-style seating, though Kitty drew her legs up and crossed them in her chair. She eased her tail out though an opening in the back of the chair, grateful she wouldn’t have to sit sideways.

Once they’d placed their drink orders with the attractive, attentive waitress, Kitty smiled at Connor. “So… how have you been?” Before he could answer, she suddenly said, “It feels like we’ve done this before, doesn’t it?”

"We have." He looked at her with a knowing smile. It had been awhile since that time, but still there was a little pain there. "I've been better. Mostly I've been keeping busy with my work with Department Zero, coordinating the Information sharing aspects of the arrangement with the DSA. That and Horst had me go fly cross-country a few times playing courier. He could have had Kei do it, she's faster."

He hated how he devolved to work, and shrugged. "On a happier note, I wrapped up my movie before we went in for this one, and They're nearly done with the editing of the final cut." He smiled. "It's a dream come true, once I see it finally finished."

"How about you? Aside from this movie, what have you been up to?"

He relaxed in his chair as their waitress proved speedy as well, returning with their drinks. The music in the room was low, and a soothing instrumental of classical Japanese. Connor enjoyed it, having become used to it, as he used it to help him sleep when in his hotel.

"Anything exciting and new in your life?"

in his mind he blanched "Wow could you have been any more blatant about asking whether or not she was single?"

Maybe she won't take it that way.

No, she knows me too well, she knows I'm curious, I've tipped my hand early... I'm screwed."

Thankfully this didn't show on his features, beyond a slight narrowing of his eyes. Still, he was charming as always, and genuinely enjoyed being around her. Inwardly he calmed himself, "It's done now, just relax and see what she says, odds are she still thinks you're with Karrie."

Then came the thought, "Oh God, what if she can read minds? CRAPPPPPP!"

Luckily for Connor (and most of the male species), Kitty had not developed telepathy. She was not in the best frame of mind, so she missed his unusual lack of suave subtly. “I… haven’t been working,” she confessed, picking up the folded napkin and neatly opening it. “I couldn’t for a long time. I thought… with the movie…” Her voice trailed off and Connor saw how much this upset her. She thought she’d overcome a personal demon and had that victory taken from her.

“I’ve been traveling. I found a monastery in China. I think I’m going to train there.” Kitty sipped her water, then fell silent as the waitress returned.

They placed their orders, received their hot towels for the hands, and got their tea. Through all of it, Connor waited with barely concealed impatience, and the moment they were alone again, he asked, “What kind of training?”

“Martial arts. Physical training. Emotional, as well. It’s a good place, Connor. Very peaceful and serene.” She tucked her blonde hair behind her ear and smiled. “You’d like Master Zhanglai. He’s unflappable. Reminds me a lot of you, only he’d barely come to your waist.”

“I could teach you how to fight, Kitty, if that’s what you want,” Connor said softly. “I did offer.”

“I know.” She smiled and reached over to pat his hand. “But I’m not sure that’d be a good idea, given our history. I like that Master Zhanglai is my instructor and teacher, and you’re my friend. I’m glad we didn’t mix the two.” Her blue eyes studied him. “Is that okay?”

He nodded. 'Yes, of course, Kitty." He wasn't really hurt, it was probably for the best that she didn't learn how to fight from him, in truth that's not what he wanted, he wanted to help her learn to defend others, in that regard at least. He wanted the closeness, to be with her, and still the memories of those weeks together on the set, all the opportunities he thought he'd missed, knew he'd missed, ate at him.

He put his hand over hers, and offered her a pleasant smile, the sort that was soothing, yet could charm any woman the world over, save for her. "I will always back your choices Kitty. I promised you that."

"You do what you need to do, when you return, You know I, and all your friends, will be here, as will of course your fans."

"One day, maybe I can meet this master you speak of, Once you're ready." He didn't want to sound controlling or needy, but he was sure he did so.

He shrugged. "I just wish..." he looked into her eyes, and hesitated. 'That I could help you more. You're strong and generally don't need it, but I can see you hurting, and I can't stand my powerlessness to help someone I truly care about." His words came out in a torrent that probably said more than he wished in ways he probably would have ranked 50th out of thirty on best ways to say things.

“I went to China to try to heal some more.” Kitty smiled, a little bemused. “Hayley wanted to go and see those temples. It was her idea. Turns out it was the trip I needed.”

“I’m glad things worked out for you.” Connor smiled at her.

“Yeah, me too.” She gave him a grin that was just like her old ones, full of mischievousness and fun. Then it was gone, pulled under the more somber expression Connor had seen her wear lately. “Now that I have the training, I just need to get into a movie again. That’s… going to be rough. The thought of getting on a set makes me almost shake.”

“We could do one together.” Connor caught himself from sounding too eager and added, “If that would help you.”

Kitty smiled gently. “Maybe it would help. Not a western, though. Maybe you should do a rom-com.” At the look on his face, she laughed aloud, a sweet, beautiful sound. “Come on, it would really increase your demographic among the soccer mom set.”

"Do you really want more women throwing themselves at me?" It was his old tongue in cheek joke with them, as it had actually happened twice when they were dating.

"Still, as long as I'm Co-starring with you, I know the project will be fun."

He chuckled as the appetizers were brought to them, and once alone again he gave her a sly smile. "The scandal rags would put us back together again, you know. Not that I mind."

The western was something he did enjoy, but the whole experience had left a slightly foul taste in both their mouths. "We can come back to the Western, I'm sure someone will come up with a good one. As long as I don't have to turn into a Giant Robotic Cowboy to but down the badguys, I might be interested."

He nodded. "I know Spielberg's got something big planned, and those pics are usually great fun to be in. There's even some buzz amongst our SGA peers that Jame's Cameron's looking to make something big, other than Avatar 2. Not really Romantic Comedy, but I bet if you put your name out there, you'd be surprised which directors and producers showed up to vie for your attention."

Her laughter was heavenly, a sound he loved, and had missed for a very long time. "If you want, I'll let you pick whatever film you want to do together, and I'll be there." He was so glad for the leeway the DSA gave him, they know the level of asset he could be, and as such gave him alot of play, provided he fulfilled his duties. Indeed, it was not really a secret that his DSA pay went to charities, The Disabled Veterans Fund, and Habitat For Humanity leading them.

• 2 weeks later...
“Why are we looking at someone else’s vision?” For the first time, Kitty looked like herself as she leaned forward on the table. Her blue eyes sparked with interest as she mused aloud, “We’re rich enough to produce something, you have directed before, and I’m good at making things up. We’ll need a writer for any story we come up with, but frankly, we could come up with something better.” Her smile softened. “We’re a great team, I know we’d make a fantastic movie.”
Connor tilted his head to the side. “What are you thinking?”
“Maybe something with cat-people?” Connor knew what kind of courage it took to suggest that; Kitty had been fighting people who wanted to stick her in a cat-woman role for a long time. “I mean, there’s not been a good movie with therantropes who turn into cats. We could do our own Underworld. Or something to redeem the humble werewolf.”
“So horror?” Mech wasn’t letting on what he thought but Kitty went ahead anyway.
“It’s something neither of us have done before.” Kitty smiled. “We’d be breaking new ground, for us at least.” Her eyebrows rose. “Thoughts?”

"So long as we don't play them as slavering monster obeying some immortal emo vampires." Kitty knew full well Connor really didn't like Vampires, and the only Vampire role he'd ever consent to play was Alucard.

"Can you do that? Change fully into a cat, or a form with more feline features than just that lovely tail of yours?" He was impressed that she made the suggestion, but finding out what they had to work with was vital. "We could make something spetacular, Together, like always."

He smiled, genuinely one of the most beautiful things Kitty had ever seen, save when looking in the mirror. "Shapeshifters like werewolves have always been number two to vampires. I think there's plenty of fans out there who'd support a movie to change that score."

"What about the villain? Going for Vampires is normal, but do we want to be safe, in that choice, or grasp for something more."

He decided to let his Inner Nerd out just abit. "Have you Ever Heard of Whitewolf Games, and the World of Darkness?"

Kitty shook her head in answer to the question. “Not a clue. Is that a video game or something?” Kitty had almost no familiarity with things of the nerd persuasion. She knew that Connor had done some things in that genre before, but he hadn’t really gone into detail.
“Not a video game. A role-playing game.” Any man other than Connor would have been visibly fighting consternation or embarrassment; if Connor felt it, he hid it.
“Like D-n-D?” Kitty’s voice held surprise and a hint of disdain.
“Vaguely.” Connor took a sip of his hot tea before he explained, “That’s not the important part.” He went on to explain the ins and outs of the world; by the time he was done, they were half-way through their entrées.
“Connor, that isn’t a movie.” Kitty’s expression was bemused; she’d started to look like that about ten minutes into his explanation. “That’s a series of movies. Seriously, you just described a world that we couldn’t possibly capture in one film. I wouldn’t even know where to start.” She put her chin on her hand and leaned forward. “Unless you have a story in mind? And what about the copyrights?”

"I think if we went to the owner of the IP and mentioned the two of us wanted to do a movie based on it, they'd jump and offer us whatever we wanted, because it would be a guaranteed box office hit." He smiled slyly.. "As to it being a series of movies, would that be so bad? We put one out every year, or every other year."

He stroked his chin. "Guaranteed work each year, aloingside each other, and maybe even some our friends could get involved too."

“No, I guess it wouldn’t be too bad.” Kitty managed a smile before sipping from her tea, holding the little cup with the tips of her fingers. “I can think of a few people I’d like to invite to join us. Cliff Armstrong and Marion Oldenburg, just to name some writers.”
“Marion’s done your romantic comedies.” Connor made it a statement, but there was doubt in his voice.
“Yes, she has made a name for herself writing romance for me. But she did some writing for West Wing back in the day. I think she could write the politic of immortal creatures.” Kitty smiled.
“So you want to start with vampires?” Connor asked.
Kitty started to answer, then stopped and took a bite, studying him while she ate. “You don’t.” It was a statement, not a question.

"You know I'm not a fan of them. I take the "Blade" approach, "The only good vampire is a dead one."

He shrugged as he ate. "We can start with them, but we make each movie about a different one, treating each of them equally."

He sat back, having already cleaned his plate. "I would prefer the shapeshifters, or the magi, as they were what I played growing up, and I have a deeper attachment to them. Still starting with the the ones I'm not fond of does two things. It shows we're being fair, and it will make people want to see the other two movies, to see happens when the subject matter is something I like."

He looked at her. "What about you? This involves us both, afterall."

Kitty smiled as she sat back, her plate half-empty. It was a habit for her to stop halfway through her meal and let her food digest a bit before she continued. “Well, I’d like to do an action movie. I did a bit of that with Turnkey Heist, but I was wanting to do something that was less chick flick and more action. Maybe even something dark.” She shrugged. “The darkest I got was being Snow in Snow White and the Huntsman.” As she spoke, her blonde hair darkened, her tanned skin paled and Connor found himself looking at the blue-eyed, teenaged image she’d adopted for the movie.
As her guise faded slowly back into her normal appearance, Kitty propped herself up on her elbows and said, “I think we should have a series of movies, all with the same epic meta-arc, but broken down into pieces. There’s always the Great Evil from Beyond that needs to be vanquished. I’m sure a good writer could come up with a concept we’d like.”

Connor smiled. "I know we can get someone to do it. Lawrence Kasdan got released from redoing the floundering Robotech movie they've been on about for five years, and his credentials are amazing. I'll make some phonecalls tomorrow and see what can be put in motion. The fact that they get us both for the entire series, well, I'd be surprised if Peter Jackson doesn't express some interest. He's been interested before, we could just never sync up scheduling."

He smiled at her. "They did approach me on one project, that is a totally different track. It would be much more Sci-fi, less blood and gore, and very very action heavy. Would you considering doing a movie series set in the Haloverse?"

Kitty frowned. “Haloverse? Oh, that video game?” She pulled out her phone and quickly looked it up online. “Looks good. But by the synopsis, it looks like there’s only one Master Chief, and he’s a guy. I assume that you’d want me to play the computer?”
“Yes. You’d make a great Cortana.” Connor grinned. “You wouldn’t need much in the way of makeup or special effects.”
“Yes, but she’s a computer and basically Master Chief’s secretary.” Kitty held up a hand as Connor started to rebut. “It’s fine to have that part, but I want to do something more active, even something aggressive. I’ve been the go-to romance star for a long time. I’m the one they call for rom-coms, and I’m tired of kissing hot guys, cracking soft jokes and crying because of a tragic misunderstand which breaks my heart—but only until the climatic scene, when all is healed.
“Don’t get me wrong. That was a great place to start my career. I just don’t want it to be my career. I know I can do more! I want to do more.” There was fire and passion in her voice as she spoke; she wanted this.

Connor smiled. "There are Female Spartans, Kitty." He nodded, finishing off his food. "Why can't you play more than a single role? I certainly will."

"In many ways, she's his conscience too, she's more human than he is. Besides, There's tons of empty space in between established events, we could be other Spartans, and more. It isn't just the Spartans. I think you might make a good Dr. Hallsey, argueably one of the most pivotal characters."

He smiled. "IF you want to be a badass Female lead who hands the badguys their butts on a platter, that can easily be arranged."

• 2 weeks later...

“I could play them all… that’s the magic of computer effects and greenscreen.” Kitty smiled a little. “I prefer to share the parts. There’s a lot of actors out there struggling to make it and it seems greedy to hog all the parts to myself, you know?” Kitty could be incredibly giving like that, though her next words added practicality to her statement. “Also, it’s a little harder for me to claim all the roles.” Her tail flicked up into his line of vision then dropped back behind the chair.

“But this has promise,” she said, smiling dreamily. This would be good for her, she quickly decided. Another project would help her out. She should get back in the saddle sooner rather than later. “I like the idea. It’s a popular video game, it’s got war and all that fun stuff. I think it’ll be a popular movie franchise.”

“We just started planning, and you’re ready for a franchise?” Connor asked. He was clearly pleased to see her looking excited and animated about the project.

“Yes!” Kitty giggled and pulled out her iPhone. She quickly started to take notes about the movie. “Thoughts on writers?”

"If Lawrence Kasdan is free I'd love to have him do it, though Greg Bear is really good too. I tend to let the studio handle that aspect, and I've only requested three changes in the last six years, on all the scripts I've read." He shrugged and looked at her. "I'll probably do most of the aliens that we don't CG, and in truth it will be fun."

He looked at her lashing tail and smiled. "You don't "Have" to be Cortana, we can do something different, since the Master Chief's story is well known, we can walk another path."

He nodded. "Working with you will be very fun, regardless of what they turn out. The Idea of you in Mjolnir Armor will send the nerd community into apoplexy, both in rage, since you don't "Do" action movies, and of course, the woman they dream of donning the most awesome armor ever and killing alien badguys."

He chuckled. "I could show you Red Vs. Blue, you'd get a kick out of it. Some fans took the old Games, and literally made videos and a story for the whole thing, using the games and mission and camera angles. Soon enough Bungie studios got wind, and they loved it, providing great support to continue and expand the web series. Microsoft has continued this even into the modern times, and we're all waiting for season eleven..."

"And believe me, two of the most badass characters in the show are women."

“Perhaps that is what we should do. Not Red vs. Blue since that’s someone else’s vision and dream, but a team effort? That could make for an incredible story.” Kitty was clearly warming up to the concept, and the next fifty minutes were spent writing down names and ideas for the writers, producers, actors, and the small army of staff that would be needed to make a movie this large functional.

Finally, they’d run through the initial prepping, and Kitty set her phone down on the table. As she watched Connor pay for the meal—they were both wealthy enough that bickering over who was picking up the tab was an exercise in silliness—Kitty gathered her courage. There was one more topic she wanted to bring up, but she also wanted to avoid it. She dithered long enough that Connor rose from his chair after getting the receipt back, and her moment was gone.

Back in the main concourse of the hotel, the handsome nova offered her his arm, and Kitty took it with a smile. “Always a gentleman,” she said, then blurted out her thoughts from before. “Speaking of, how’s your lady? You haven’t said anything about her yet.”

"Because I don't have one, Kitty." He looked at her, his uniquely yellow eyes showing the truth that he was "Looking." "I broke things off at the Convention." There was more there of course, the "Why " of it, and he seemed to want to talk about it, but not completely.

He nodded. "How about you, any lucky men in your life?" He'd not seen or heard anything in the tabloids, but one never really knew without asking.

Archived