[OpNet] A question to the board.

Trooper

I've only been hanging around here for a very short time but I've noticed a tendency to be very vocal about threats of violence. Is this the norm?

I came here to find some sort of a new social outlet and I'm suprised to see so much drama. I expected the debates, such as Ms. Newcastle's ongoing rants against faith, but much of it is suprising.

Are your lives really that filled with drama? I mean, I expect an Elite or a member of Team Tomorrow to have this sort of activity in their lives, but many of you seem to be attempting to lead normal lives without that sort of excitement. Is it impossible for novas to simply be?

Trooper,

People come here as an outlet as well. Novas lives tend to have excesses being that we are one in a million, instant and often unwilling celebrities, dealing with strange and/or unpleasant biological effects, coping with alienation from being truly unique (even from other Novas) and trying to carve a comfortable spot for ourselves in this world. If you wanted to blend in and simply be, joining a hot spot nova site is not the best way to remain low key. You may end up swept up in the drama. Unfortunately for our kind, violence is getting more and more simply a way of live either over defence or ideals. Novas are larger than life and that often means the larger than life drama is part and parcel.

Zero

Trooper,

It's worth noting that you have come here during an unusual time. There has been a drastic upturn in violent attacks on novas by members of the Church of Michael Archangel of late, and that does tend to turn talk here toward various means of dealing with the problem, including both retaliatory and pre-emptive violence.

Dr. Zero, thank you. I'm not bothered by the violence. Violence is very much a part of my life, I was just suprised.

Timeslip, I've not had much experience with the Church of Michael Archangel. I haven't been back to the States in a few years. Thank you for that explanation.

Yo Super Trooper. I see it like this... Lots of novas walk around thinking its all about the nice and easy. That leaves them with their pants down or their skirts up when the big nasty comes calling. You can be an optimist and then its all about the drama you didn't expect. Or you can roll up your sleeves and deal with the shit. Then its just another day in paradise.

Trooper, I am a Healer, Doctor, Nova Physiologist, and Quantum Researcher. I preserve life and nurture life. As someone who has worked in natural disasters and war zones, I've seen violence up close. I've seen violence's aftermath. Seing the other side makes me want to find a way that we can "simply be".

When the killers start yelling bloody murder, the healers and protectors tend to quietly wait for it to end. We're still here, we're just being circumspect.

In the history of warfare, the projectile has always trumped the armor. The same goes for novas. The killers out-power the protectors, so we know better than to get our heads blown off unnecessarily by responding to the vile boasts of the killers.

We know that the killers will get their own in due time, probably from each other. It's a self-solving problem, and if it weren't for the bystanders who get caught in the crossfire, one I'd allow to burn itself out.

We all kill things in our own way. Some call it necessary, others do it in self defense. We don't question our morality when we stomp on the cockroach. Why should it be any different with any other life form. Is not the primitive Arthropod as entitled to life as any other organism?

Many people feel the need to threaten death to others because they don't have what it takes to actually commit the act.

I see killing a little differently.

While most people go out of their way to avoid killing, I see it as an act of mercy. Does not the doctor kill the microbe to save their patient? Who is that an act of mercy for? Surely not the microbe.

The problem is that so many people avoid killing because they have been conditioned that it is wrong. That is unfortunate, because they will not experience the rush of adrenaline and the excitement that comes with it.

Archived