Aberrant: The Infinity Hour - Chapter One: Down the Rabbit Hole

Lincoln Goode

My name is Lincoln Goode, but please, call me Linc. I grew up on a dairy farm outside of Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand. I am, as far as I can tell, the strongest, most indestructible man in the world. I work for one of the most powerful Novus on the planet, his right hand man. None of this is the most important thing about me. The most important thing about me is that once, in the early days of the Nova Age, I helped gather together a group of Novus, and five of them went on to save the world from the greatest threat it has ever known. Maybe the universe.

It started on a Monday, as so many of the bad things in life do. As Duke Rollo is fond of pointing out, N-Day was on a fucking Monday. This Monday, May 4th, 1998, however, started innocuous enough. My mentor, and later employer, August Hermann, had hand picked these five from a group of eleven Novus, Novus that I had collected for him. He told me later that my recommendations had been the deciding factor in all cases. The idea was that we would help carve out a place in the world that was just for Novus, on our own terms. We were young, and naive.

August invited them to brunch, to discuss what he wanted from them. It was couched in terms of a job offer, but it was more than that. It was, he believed, the future of the Novus. The future of the race of New Men that had sprung like a phoenix from the ashes of the Galatea explosion. The money was just August believing that people will perform for money in ways that they won't for just an idea. I thought he was wrong then, and I still do. I couldn't tell him that then. I don't know if I could now. But I like to think I'd try. They deserved that respect.

I think of them that morning, doing their own thing in their own way. Maybe the last time they truly thought that they could create and control their own destiny. I wonder what they were doing, each of them. What they were thinking about, what plans they were making. Because attending that brunch, accepting August's offer, changed... everything.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a far later time, when Thomas and Lincoln would look back on all that transpired and share recollections, the mega-genius would give Lincoln a sardonic smile and comment on the irony. He should have known something was up, since he hadn't spent any time in the workshop that morning.

To be fair with that retrospective, Thomas, with the transportation assistance of Susilo, was visiting his parents that morning. Given the changes their son had gone through, and Thomas' general lack of presence in the world at large - it seemed only fair to call, then drop by to have the talk they deserved to have.

Of course, it was a friendly talk, filling them in on what had changed and what their son had been up to. Michele had made French pastries for the family, and Lawrence boisterously congratulated his son on the luck. Neither had cared much for how John Morgan had been involved, and naturally offered condolences to their son.

But in short, the outlook had been positive to say the least. Lawrence had inquired as to what his son had planned with his intellect and obvious opportunities, and Thomas had replied chuckling that his 'friend' responsible for his get-away period was also offering a job.

The Canadian-born inventor did feel there was genuine altruism at August's core. Regardless of the young-again German's precise intentions, he was looking forward to the brunch. When he waved goodbye to his parents on the porch of their home, he met Susilo around the corner, as per the agreed return time.

The Indonesian nodded and the two teleported back to August's estate.

Rianna had left the estate only once, and now that she'd returned, she smiled. Andrea had decided to accept her offer, and that would be a major boon to the company. She knew that Novus were the way of the future, and the more she could gather to her, well the easier it would be to push science forward, for the betterment of mankind.

Even setting aside such considerations, she liked Andrea. It was hard not to. Ria didn't do this for the money, and in truth the two women found common ground easily enough, they both wished to help people. Rianna through science, and Andrea through philanthropic endeavors. Of course Liz was on board as well, which brought the number to three, not inconsiderate by any stretch.

She made her way downstairs, heading for the dining hall where she'd grown accustomed to eating with the others, and smiled. This would be a good day, that was how it felt. She figured their host had something planned, and it was common courtesy to see what it would entail, after all, he did rescue her and the lives of the men she'd been traveling with.

Keiko was already in the dining room, typing on her laptop while accelerated. The tapping came out a modulated buzz, like a gigantic bumblebee, and Keiko herself was more of a 'smudge' of a person than a distinct figure, like a time-exposed photograph of someone who just couldn't keep still.

After holing up with August and, presumably, accepting his offer, she'd tooled around the estate in a literal blur; slowing only to have little impromptu interviews with staffers before whisking away again. She'd gotten better about 'de-celerating' when other people were around, just to mitigate the creepy factor of her twitchy, unnatural movements when in that state. Still had a little ways to go though.

Her fascination with her own powers had only gone up since she'd erupted, and it had started out pretty high to begin with. Finding a happy medium between 'fast enough' and 'so fast the world redshifts to infrared' took some experimentation and some broken china.

Of the Novus that August had brought together, Keiko was one of the most openly skeptical about their host, his motivations and his connections. Of course, her suspicions might have gone too far the other way; postulating links to the shadowy secret masters she'd long suspected ran the world. But then, what did that make Aeon? Now THERE was an Illuminati front if ever there was one. Then again, it would be just LIKE them to run BOTH sides of the show. Create a false dichotomy, so that whether you went to Aeon or not, you were in the fold. August himself might not know.

So she stayed. The other press, other reporters, they were all focused like a laser on Aeon. This was the untold story. The hidden truth. So she stayed. The other Novus were all amazing people too, both in powers and in their human stories. So...she stayed. And she wrote. There were things she'd agreed not to divulge; to keep it anonymous, at least for the time being. It was a small price to pay for the chance to tell Bandersnatch what was going on, even if not where it was, or who was doing it.

In the end, it hadn't been a very hard choice to sign up with Ms. Rianna's Conelly Securities. Despite how good she was getting people to like her and do what she wanted now, she didn't want to have to deal with strangers *all the time*, she was still that much herself, and if things ever did go wrong... Andrea just didn't want the risk of lashing out and turning everyone around her to emotional jelly in a panic however she had done that in the cafe after her 'Becoming'.

So a little familarity with a single employer instead of dozens sounded nice. A little stability doing something good for other people, even the chance to pick out some of her own staff which could help Tess out over the summer if she wanted the job. Get some footing under her, get her balance back, and find out where she wanted to go next if she had a real choice.

The young Idol hadn't quite known that last one since her transformation.

Still, plenty of time for after this brunch and job offer. Andrea dusted off her knees and rose to her feet, flashing a quick test smile at her reflection in the suite mirror, allowing herself a few heartbeats of admiring how her green sundress looked on her. It was one of the first things she had bought to fit her new proportions, and it showed, making her chuckle as her thoughts wandered to what she'd look like in something really expensive. Enough of that. She had a brunch to get to.

She had remained mostly in her private quarters or the gym especially after the somewhat botched dinner a few days ago. Jill didn't want to be alone but she felt it was safer for everyone until she learned how to control herself. By now her impulse control was down to a more or less manageable degree. She was still surprised at herself how easily she got angered even by the slightest things or offenses but instead of lashing out blindly she managed to remain mostly in control now.

One other thing that bothered her - if she did lose control she regularly ended up without clothes. The very limited wardrobe she had, which consisted mostly of tank tops, muscle shirts and matching shorts/hotpants couldn't keep up with her increased mass and height once she used her powers. She had heard of a technique that some Novus used to immunize their clothes to their own powers but she had no idea how to do that. That gave her double a reason to... not lose it.

August had proven to be the most splendid host catering to her every needs and requests (she didn't have many, though) and respected her privacy whenever she didn't feel like talking or testing the limits of her powers. Being Novus was secondary to her - she still had the same issues, they just acquired a new "quality" now that she was part of a very selected "elite". It estranged her that being Novus alone gave people and companies reason alone to offer her 6 and seven 7 figure salaries just to "work" for them or do whatever they thought made sense. The world had gone crazy, even crazier than before and she was now part of it without chosing it. All she wanted was to be respected for her way of life and... well that alone would have to do for now.

The huge gorgeous giantess entered the dining hall wearing a fresh set of workout fatigues which basically had become her "uniform" - a black sports bra and matching hotpants. They still haven't made shoes of her size so she remaind barefooted for now but since her becoming she had little trouble with these details. She didn't feel much cold or uncomfortable being barefooted, her skin had become tougher and her massive musculature made sure she was immune to most conditonal effects barring extreme heat or cold. She took seat next to Lincoln where one of the reinforced chairs was already waiting for her and managed to dwarf the large man with her huge size. Jill gave him a friendly smile and nodded at the others trying to avoid to long eye contact with Andrea.

Andrea had left a lasting impression since their last meeting and Jill found herself thinking more about the most beautiful woman she has ever seen than she liked to admit. She didn't have much luck finding a suitable partner and most guys were intimidated by her physical presence. Being female in a male dominated environment was difficult enough... after having met Andrea she started asking herself if?... Jill shook her head and tried to refocus on the brunch. Food... yes, food is good.

The table was covered with the spread that the Novus had come to expect from August. Bagels and cream cheese, hot biscuits, toast, pancakes, sliced ham steaks, sirloin, sausage links, bacon, a huge bowl of scrambled eggs, country gravy, eleven bowls of different fruit, and on and on and on. Lincoln sat with Jill and Thomas, shoving food into his face at what would be an alarming rate if they hadn't seen it before. August sat across from him, eating far less food, but with almost as much gusto. One of the many things that the Novus liked about August was that he never acted above any of them, though it was his house and his money and his drive that had gathered them all together in the first place. He didn't discuss business while they ate, according to protocols he had told them he established in the 1930s.

When everyone had eaten their fill, and the table looked like a plague of locusts had passed through, the Novus leaned back in their chairs, hiding their belches behind their hands. August cleared his throat, and had everyone's attention. Lincoln began clearing the table as August spoke.

"Thank you, all of you, for coming today. I hope you enjoyed the brunch, I know I did." August rose and walked to a buffet table under a window showing a spectacular view of the grounds. He opened a drawer, and removed a stack of papers. "As you know, you are here to be offered a job."

"-Only it's not really a job," interrupted Lincoln.

A fleeting irritation showed in August's face, gone almost as quickly as it appeared. "No, I suppose it isn't, but let us treat it as a job for now. In the coming months, or years, there will be events in the world that may present opportunities for our race. When those opportunities appear, we must be ready to take advantage of them. That is the 'job' that I have for you. To be a troubleshooting team for the race of Homo Sapiens Novus." He looked around the table seriously, then suddenly grinned.

"Pretty heavy, nein?" He waited for any chuckles to die down. "But, for now, I want to focus on just a bit of contract work. One job, one fee. A one-time expedition, to determine if it is right for you, and to see if you are right for this sort of task. I think you are, and Lincoln thinks you are. The question is, do you think you are? If not, then there is no point in continuing. If so, this one job will help us to see if it is true."

He sorted the papers into five stacks on the table, yellow stickies on each stack. He put his fingertips on the stack in the center. "I have prepared contracts for each of you. Those of you who prefer to be represented by Connelly Securities, your representation has been noted, and their commission calculated. The first sheet on top is a confidentiality agreement. Until these are signed, I cannot tell you the precise nature of the job, save that you are contracted to me, and I have accepted a job from a third party. I will add that the third party is also a Novus, and that the work is considered extremely hazardous by its nature, though I do not anticipate any actual danger."

He paused, then added casually, "Oh, and you will be paid one million American dollars in advance, with another million upon successful completion, which may take a few weeks or a few months. This will primarily be an information gathering expedition."

He passed the top sheet on each stack to each Novus in turn. Each Novus' name was printed in the appropriate space, and 'CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT' was the title at the top of the page.

"If you have questions, now is the time to ask them. If not, please sign at the bottom, by the 'X'. I will do my best to answer any questions, though I am also bound by the agreement not to reveal certain pieces of information until and unless those papers are signed." He looked expectantly around the table.

"Is separating us out as a separate race right out of the gate really the best move?" Keiko asked skeptically. "Seems like it sets us up for trouble. I mean, we're going to have a hard enough time overcoming everyone trying to label us and stereotype us, without having a whole species name for ourselves."

August nodded seriously to Keiko's question. "We are not claiming a name for ourselves, Keiko. Homo Sapiens Novus is the name the scientists at Aeon have given us. It is on the cover of this months Scientific American, there was a two hour special on NOVA. It is not that I am claiming we are a separate race. We are, in fact, a separate race. We have no options to us except to accept that fact. And, if we are to be a separate race, we must protect our interests. That is my purpose, that I am asking you to share."

Thomas frowned as he processed what he heard... this was not exactly the 'job offer' he was expecting somehow. Compiling things fast in his head, he began to speak. "I don't doubt that- since people are still erupting or becoming, there's a clear Novus population that has rights that need to be protected. But a seperate species? Even going by the reports of the Mazarin-Rashoud node- we don't know what triggers it- any genes responsible may be buried in all of humanity... We're one month into Novus, and you're already calling it a separate species? We don't know nearly anything, August. It's too soon."

He looked like he'd sucked on a sour lemon and added - "Hazardous but no actual danger... is this info something we have to break laws to get?"

August was silent for a long moment. He pursed his lips, and walked back and forth for a moment. Finally, he spoke to the room:

"You all know why you were brought here. It is my belief... and not mine alone... that Aeon has plans for us that may or may not benefit humanity, but that our welfare will almost certainly not be a concern. You seem surprised that I call us a separate race, Thomas, but it was not I who called us that. It was the very scientists at Aeon. Didn't you watch the NOVA special? If not, you were one of the few. Did you not see the headlines? The covers of Science magazine, National Geographic... Esquire, for Gott's sake!" He visibly calmed himself, and took a deep breath.

"Why do you think we say, 'I am Novus'? Because they have decided that we are different, that we are not human. Do not mistake me, I also believe this. But it is not I who has said this. It has been on the news for the last few weeks that I am not a human. If I shrug my shoulders and say, 'Oh, this is just for show, of course I am human', then I am a fool!"

He again moderated his tone, but looked balefully around at the Novus.

"You know also, that I am a German Jew who has lived over a hundred years. I have seen what can happen to those who are considered by many or most to be 'Not Human'. That is why you are here. That is why we must act to protect ourselves. I do not move that we separate ourselves from them. I say only that they are separating themselves from us, and we must be prepared. I hope for your help to be prepared. I ask you for your help. But... I demand nothing."

He straightened up, with dignity.

"I hope that I have answered your question."

"But..." Keiko replied, "That's what I mean. Shouldn't we try to take this on? Our reaction shouldn't be, 'Okay, yeah we're not human,' it should be 'YES we're still human!' We should take Aeon on over this!" She pounded the table with a fist, rather unimpressively. "THEY say we're not, but we can SHOW them, and the world, that we ARE. That's what we should be doing! That's how we protect ourselves!"

Thomas bit his lip, trying to parcel this out. He didn't agree with August on the response stance here- but the man meant well... this he still wasn't really comfortable with accepting yet.

"Well, I do agree with one part of that, if not the other, August. But really, you're a German Jew. The Nazis called Jews inferior and sub-human to them. By the same logic of your words, they would be right then?"

Thomas looked unnerved at having to continue with this line of talk, seeing how personal it was, but a point had to be made. "The point is, just because someone dehumanizes you, accepting it means they win in the end. It's an insult, and no matter how you spin it, you're accepting it at face value. Does the gaining of powers really alter us that much as to support you becoming not human?"

"And..." he grew sour here... "you haven't even answered my question about how this will be hazardous."

Rianna looked and carefully read the confidentiality agreement, and nodded once. She signed the confidentiality agreement, and only that. "They might try to separate us from them, they certainly seem to be. So far we all look like regular people, though certainly enhanced in some cases. Will that always be so? We are all still human at heart, that's our upbringing, but what if, mind you, they are right, and we ARE something different? I know that I think faster now, and can do things before that simply couldn't. I do not know why or how this has occurred but I'm interested in discovering it."

"My parents are already quite wary of Aeon, as is my sister."

She looked at Thomas. "If we take a stance against Aeon we stand to make powerful enemies, and in this world there are many ways to get someone. It may not even come from them. Another group looking to exploit young novus may arise, and someone should be there to give them further alternatives, and shelter until they can decide their own fate."

Andrea held her tongue, thinking after signing her own confidentiality agreement and expression conflicted. She didn't like the way this was sounding, the idea of a cultural if not actual war over control of people like her and the other's around the table, being reduced to an asset over the future of a human race she very much felt a part of. Still... It made sense and if there was anything she knew about problems, it was that burying your head in the sand wouldn't make them go away.

"I think we should see if we can help Mr. August and his friends. He's done good by us and the others so far, and I trust him when he says physical danger shouldn't be an issue on this one. I mean, it's only been a month. How much can they know about stopping all of us, with all our different talents? A million dollars a piece could do a lot of good for people, like us or otherwise, who need help," the fledgling Idol ventured with a hopeful smile and a chuckle, considering the issue of labels academic at best, "I'm in."

And with that, she signed the second document with a dramatic little flourish to ride the crest of her confidence to the point of no return. Helping people was helping people, right? Right. So she'd help.

August nodded, and smiled beatifically. "Keiko, Thomas, we have arrived at the same conclusion from different directions. Whether or not we agree on if Novus is a new species, separate from humans... we can at least agree that Aeon has defined us as such, and that we must take action to protect our interests."

He accepted the confidentialityagreements from those who had signed, while he kept talking.

"And, whether or not we can agree on the other, Pandora's box is open, and it can never be closed again. The entire world accepts the idea that we are not human. Regardless of what you or I believe, there will always be some large portion of the population that believes that we are not human. Thomas, whether the Nazis were right or not is not, and never was, the point. The point was they acted as though they were. That is the danger we face, regardless of our personal belief on the issue. Aeon announced their UN support three days ago. What do you suppose will happen next? Either we are with them, or we are against them. You will see. We do not have time to debate this. That is their agenda. We must work out our own agenda."

He took a deep breath.

"If we do not, then we are simply allowing Aeon, a human agency with its own plans, to determine the course of our lives, when we are more than capable of determining our own fates."

He toyed with the contracts for a moment, straightening edges and angling paperclips just so. Finally, he looked up at Thomas.

"Now. I can appreciate that you have signed your agreement to the Non-Disclosure. Others have not, so I will simply say that there will be exposure to a... unique.... phenomena that is... untested to any real degree, but seems fundamentally harmless. That said, all of life is risk, but the possible reward is.... literally... unimaginable in scope."

He seemed embarrassed at hedging, and glanced at the few who had not yet signed their NDA.

"That is all I can say at this time."

Jill had signed the papers the moment she heard the magic words “one – million – Dollars” upfront and another one once the job was done. She had no reasons to mistrust August and while she understood the arguments the young Asian girl and Thomas had some of those arguments didn’t apply to her.

Jill undoubtly couldn't go back and have a normal life again. After roughly one month she had given up any hope to shrink any further and her near-8-foot massive frame was her default size now – she could become even bigger... but not smaller. In other words, she was a freak and would stand out no matter where or what she did. Part of her liked being “exposed” like this. Most bodybuilders were attention whores to some extend and exhibitionists to another but while Jill liked the attention and looks she got her new situation was a completely other matter.

People weren’t giving her looks, they stared – rudely so. Some with open disgust and others with an admiration that bordered on worship which wasn’t what she was looking for.

No, her life – her former life – was over and she would need any money she could get to make a living, especially if she considered the abnormous amounts of food she required. The bills for that alone would force her to work at least 60 hours a week if not more.

The huge giantess had a sarcastic smile on her face and shook her head as she finished her signature with a flourish breaking the pen in the process – unintentionally.

“Sorry...”, she excused herself. “I don’t care what is right or wrong. I need the money and I will not have the option going back to having a ‘normal’ live. I am most certainly not quiet human anymore, that is something I can’t even hide. What I can do is decide what is right and wrong on the spot and as long as I don’t know what is going on I have to trust you, Mister August.”

Jill pushed the stack away from her and sighed briefly making her already impressive frame expand even further with bulging muscles.

“I will need help, that’s all I know and can tell and if I can return the favor I’m glad to help, too – I hope you know what is right, Mister August. Only time will tell if I agree with your vision.”

August tapped the sheets on edge to straighten them, then thumbed through them. He looked up, and smiled gently at the Japanese-American girl.

"Keiko? You are the only hold out. What do you think? Is this something that you can reconcile with your conscience? We really need you."

"It's not exactly conscience," Keiko says as she looks back at the forms. "I don't think you're morally misguided. I'm just not sure I'm really right for this. I don't agree with your whole premise. It strikes me as really...confrontational. It's like, I totally get wanting to be prepared in case things go bad, but it's possible to encourage things to go bad too, you know? Even if you don't mean to. I feel like it's a good idea to come at this whole situation from a 'lets be friends' angle first. In fact, first thing I think, is that we need to go public. You need to present yourself as a public alternative to Aeon. You know, put yourself forward. Say you're all about protecting the rights of the people who are going through this. No mandatory tests or seclusion or invasion of privacy. Just a safe place to be, while you figure this out, where you can be with other people going through the same thing."

She nods. "Do that, and I bet you dimes to dollars, you'll be rolling in Novus before the week's out. But all this...missions and jobs and NDA's... Secrets. I don't know. Just seems like you're going down the same road Aeon is. Don't you think?"

August nodded reluctantly.

"I can certainly appreciate that perspective. The fact is, this particular task is unique, in a few different ways. If knowledge of what we are about to do were to fall into the wrong hands, we would be under assault by those who want to exploit this opportunity themselves. The secrecy on this is for that reason. I need a group of Novus that can respond quickly at need. One group. This sort of thing is not what I have in mind for the future. Hopefully you are the group."

He paused, then sighed.

"Having said that, setting ourselves up publicly as an alternative to Aeon may be a good idea. I don't know. I think it is a dangerously naive thing to do, and that we may as well paint targets on our foreheads. I will, however, take it under advisement, and get some more perspective from other Novus. It may be that that is the answer. But, I will take convincing."

Again he paused, weighing his words.

"I hope that you will accept, Keiko, as I had hoped to name you the leader of our troubleshooting team. We need your investigative mind at the helm."

Keiko stared at him, flummoxed. Part of her was bouncing and squeeing, and it was making it very hard to concentrate on the part of her that was paralyzed with horror.

"I...uh...hold on!"

The world dimmed and reddened as she slowed time to a crawl. She had to think about this. At the table, the others saw her features blur slightly, as tiny movements she made became all blended into a time-lapsed sequence. It lasted only a few seconds.

She burst back into normal time blurting, "No, that's a bad idea!" Then she immediately colored and added in a more conversational tone, "I really really appreciate the thought, but I'd be a terrible leader. I need to be free to poke around and see things. I can't do that if I'm having to make decisions. And I've never even tried to be in charge of anything besides myself before...and I can barely manage that sometimes."

Keiko managed a weak grin.

"I'll try this. I'll give it a try. Depending on how it goes...well...we'll see how it goes."

She looked the forms over, then signed them and pushed them across the table.

August received Keiko's form with a smile. "I understand your reluctance. I will, therefore, name Thomas as the leader of the team... for now. My suggestion is for you all to decide who you will accept as your permanent leader over the course of this trip. Now..."

He placed his hands on the table and looked around at them all.

"Three weeks ago, there was an... event. Not the Galatea explosion, about a week after that. Every Novus I have spoken to felt it in one way or another. Perhaps every Novus in the world. I am at a loss to explain what happened, but it doesn't matter. The event seems to have created... rifts... in time."

He paused to allow that to sink in, but speaks before anyone can comment on it.

"There are at least two rifts that I know of. Most Londoners believe that extensive construction is underway in Trafalgar Square, but I have intelligence that states definitively that there is a rift there and it is being investigated by Aeon. Another rift is in Spain, and it is on a property that belongs to one of our people. He has asked that I provide a small group of Novus to go into this portal and act as support to a human team, " with a glance at Keiko, "or, if your prefer, a baseline human team that he is sending through to investigate. The rift seems to have stabilized, after some initial fluctuations, and opens at seventeen minutes after every hour. It then stays open for three minutes, forty seven seconds, and closes. My friend needs our help, and believes that this rift offers unimaginable possibility for whoever controls it. I think he is right, and I am asking you to help us find out. If you will, he is offering you, as I said, one million American dollars each to take the job, with an additional million each when the initial probe is complete."

He smiled wryly.

"I am sure that you have more questions for me, and I will attempt to answer them. Time, however, is literally of the essence."

Thomas looked a little taken aback at the suggestion he was in charge for the time being now- but then August's description of the event sunk in completely and he perked up with sudden excitement. August was describing potential time travel, and Thomas' mind was buzzing right away.

"All right! I... well..." Clearly the friend in question had timed the rift precisely, so it was superfluous to ask about that. "The first team will have entered when we arrive on site? Do they have any idea where the rift leads to chronologically?"

In all likelihood, if yes, this was a traversable wormhole- an actual one! Oh Frabjous day! And yes, Thomas was excited and eccentric enough to think in Lewis Carroll poetry.

Andrea lost most of her earlier spontaneous enthusiam for the job, the blood draining out of her cheeks. Time Travel? That usually ended poorly for at least someone, or a lot of someones whenever they tried to mess around with it on TV or the movies, for alot of reasons that would make sense in real life, too. The world was complicated enough without the ability to go back and give yourself the answers to a test you just failed so that you wouldn't fail and thus wouldn't need to go back and give yourself the answers to the test you *hadn't* failed...

Oh God, she had a headache already.

"Has anything come back through the rift, or more importantly anything your friend has sent through and gotten back in one piece?," the fledgling Idol ventured, after Thomas, looking like she had a heaping of second thoughts as big as her pervious servings of food.

August nodded.

"Against my advice to wait for the five of you, my associate has decided to send in his team today. By the time you arrive, they should have returned, and made their report." He glanced at his watch, "In fact, I believe they entered while we were discussing the Confidentiality Agreement." A quick smile.

"As for when, my associate claims to have determined when and where the rift opens, but I would take that with a large grain of salt, if I were you. I don't think that such a thing can be discovered without going through. He says, however, that it opens on the peak of Mount Olympus, in Greece, in or around the year 8752 BC."

He looked at Andrea and nodded.

"A video camera on a pole rig was sent through, and has returned safely every time. In addition, a native of that time came through the rift- accidentally, it seems- with no ill effects other than extreme confusion, which is to be expected."

Rianna looked at him. "Well, I'll say this much, it's certainly a job worthy of pricetag." As a scientist she found herself skeptical,but at the same time her desire to learn more and know was nearly insatiable.

"I take all manner of radiation scanners, basically any sort of recording device concievable is being brought to the site, scanning the rift, and being sent through? The camera was studied extensively after its return?"

"It's one thing to send a inorganic machine through the rift. Quite another to send a living Organism."

"Can you provide us with any other data?"

She was so close to just signing the contract, the very idea of this was so tantalizing. "IF there was a method of control discovered, how would it be wielded? This has every potential to beTHE Discovery of our age, and like Atomics before it, it could wecome both shield and sword, and a boogieman of unimaginable power."

Thomas looked uncaring for the moment of consequences or use. He looked ever more like a kid with a magnificent Christmas gift. "So it IS a tranversal wormwole! After all... a Lorentzian or transversal wormhole is basically a connection between two space-time points, so it would already be theoretically possible to send messages back through the connection - electronic or otherwise. I guess your friend estimated the rough time period of the position of the accelerated mouth... and if it is tranversal, we shouldn't worry about coming in and out and having lost too much time - relativistic time dilation after all. We'll need to time things to make sure we don't miss the open/close- and to make sure we're not dillydallying. And ancient ancient Greece... what weather is present down there? We may need to dress warm."

“Wow…”, was all that Jill managed to say. “This is deep…, and we’re not causing any paradoxes by our visit? Like if we accidently kill someone in 8.500 BC that’s maybe the guy who is the genetic father of someone important today?”, the huge Giantess chuckled.

“What a fucking mindjob…”, she shook her head but laughed, too. “So what are we waiting for?”

Keiko blurred again as she wrestled time to the floor and sat astride it so she'd have a few minutes to think without getting in anyone's way. Metaphorically of course.

Her conclusion was similar to what she'd already decided about August's offer. It was going to happen whether she was part of it or not...and being a part of it was the only way to know what was going on inside. She could walk away, but she'd be letting the story of the century ride off without her if she did.

Dangerous? Irresponsible? Maybe. But at least she'd document it as such. And besides, maybe her power could make it safer...for everyone.

She nodded. "I'll go."

Andrea was going to try and do *something* about these rifts. That much was certain, but what..? That was the thing she didn't know, didn't even know if something could be done. Still, maybe she could get other people to see this, too. Hopefully. because anyone able to control power like that scared the hell out of her.

She smiled and chimed in again, masking her unease, "Also do we have someone who can speak ancient Greek? I can't and if it's my new people skills that had me picked out of all the ones you've rescued, I'll need to have an idea what they're saying. If we're right about the exit point, that is."

August addressed Rianna first:

"The camera and the rift have both been examined in minute detail, for trace radiation as well as any engineering fault or materials displacement. Every test has come back normal. The rift is not detectable by instrumentation, as far as we can tell. The human subject from the other side of the rift has submitted to a most thorough examination and also seems to be in perfect health. There does not seem to be any way to exert any control over the rift."

He nodded to Keiko's assertion that she would go, then addressed concerns expressed by the other Novus:

"It seems to be early spring, at a best guess. The mountain top is covered with snow, but at sea level the area should be mild weather. As to the rest, Thomas, that is part of what you are being sent to determine. As to the 'grandmother' paradox, and difficulties with language, it is highly recommended that you do NOT interact with the locals. You must, of course, use your judgement, but it is the opinion of some very fine minds that a minimum interaction policy, following the 'Prime Directive' if you will, for old Star Trek fans, is the best course."

He glanced at his watch.

"If you have nothing further for me, I will refer any other questions on the rift to the science staff on-site. I'd like to see you all wheels up within the hour."

“I have no idea how I will fit in to all this...”, Jill mentioned in a matter-of-fact like manner and stood up. As far as she was concerned there were 2 scientists, a journalist and whatever Andrea’s professional education was but certainly much more suitable then her own on this mission.

“I’m just a blacksmith and never went to University... are you sure you picked the right Novus?”, she certainly was happy to get a chance at 2 million dollars but the nature of this contract (aside from the mindblowing premise about timetravel and such) was questionable enough...

“I think that Prime Directive approach won’t be doable... I’m not really what you would call subtle. Hell, I can’t even sit down on a chair without smashing it to dust if I don’t pay attention.”, I should stop complaining before they fire me.

“Sorry – just forget about it. I’ll try to do what I can.”, she sighed and looked down feeling a bit embarressed, especially in front of Andrea. She stole a glance at her with a nervous smile on her face hoping that the achingly beautiful Novus wouldn’t think bad of her.

"Wait," Keiko suddenly said, her eyes opening wider as something occurred to her. She eyed August with something between wonder and suspicion. Does he know? Has he figured it out?

"Are we the only novus going on this trip?"

It can't be just us...not if I'm right. There must be more.

August paused in the midst of stacking the contracts. He shook his head and shrugged.

"You are the only Novus I am sending to Spain. I hadn't considered that my friend may have his own Novus to send, but I highly doubt it. Why do you ask?"

Keiko glanced at the others, trying to decide what to do. In the end though, she was what she was. A reporter. Not a person who keeps secrets, but a person who exposes them.

"Athena," she said, nodding at Jill. "The...uh...god, what's his name...the forge guy." She points at the steampunk inventor on the team. "I guess that'd make me the messenger with winged shoes?"

She looked around at the others then said, "Come on. We're going to the peak of Mount Olympus in prehistoric times. How else is this going to turn out?"

"Aparently going," reminded Andrea with a wry smile, "Besides, Aeon has a gate, too. Whose to say it's not their fault an old change occured, however time travel works in the real world? But in any case, we're all already commited, and Mr. August wouldn't have sent us if he didn't think it was likely we're coming back. So unless we need to change into cold weather gear here, I'm ready to head to Spain and do my best to help solve this problem. Trust you'll all pick up where I might fail."

She matched expression to words, looking around the table and projecting her total confidence her new teamates.

August nodded seriously at Keiko's question, and smiled at Andrea's enthusiasm.

"That is the focus of a very large debate right now. Obviously, we have considered the implications of the location. The best hope is that you are right, Keiko."

He smiled a little at the surprise around the table.

"If the worst case scenario is that the timeline turns out exactly like it is now, that is an acceptable risk. In fact, the only reason we are authorizing this incursion is for the very fact that the consensus is that this is the most likely outcome. That you either will introduce, or cement, notions of godhood emanating from Mount Olympus."

He frowned slightly.

"However, it is still preferable that you interact as little as possible with the locals. None would, in fact, be best. Now, the staff on hand at the rift is really better versed in this than I, so please feel free to explore these questions further with them. Your plane is waiting at the north runway"

August had not one, but two, runways on his massive estate, servicing five planes of varying sizes. The south runway was used only for the largest of these, for intercontinental flights. He nodded at each Novus in turn.

"I envy you more than you could possibly know. Good luck to you all, and godspeed."

There was definitely conflict in Jill’s eyes but she decided to ask these questions in absence of August – this was way beyond her comprehension and she only had a gut feeling that they could seriously fuck this up. What if they couldn’t go back? The idea of being stuck in ancient Greece some 8500 years BC wasn’t that appealing to her.

Jill went to her private quarters and checked her belongings. She didn’t really have much which she considered her own – everything was given to her and was custom made to fit her massive frame.

Even the duffelbag was oversized and August had as far as crafting her room to accomodate to her unusual size. Everything was reinforced, sturdy and extra sized, she almost felt normal when she was in her room just by herself. It took her a few minutes before she gathered to courage to meet at the runway. Given her huge size flying wasn’t really something she was looking forward to.

She remembered how uncomfortable travelling was even before her change. She was never “small” and no matter if she travelled with Greyhounds or Airplanes... the seats were simply not large enough and extremely uncomfortable. As she got closer to the tarmac she grew more and more nervous. How am I supposed to fit into a plane?...

Jill was waiting outside the airplane and looked back the way she came. She felt awkward and silly all of a sudden – was she actually scared to get aboard?

“Uhm... is anyone up there?”, she asked looking up the stairs which led inside the plane. “Can I even fit in there?”

Archived