Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - [CN] Doing Something

z-Kitty Price

Sham Shui Po Park, Hong Kong

Scene for Hāṅgakāṅga kī Ghaṭanā (The Hong Kong Incident)

“I still feel weird about this.” Harley frowned at her tall, utterly gorgeous sister, feeling dowdy and short next to her. Which totally wasn’t fair, because Harley was smoking. Like Kat, Harley was a leggy blonde, with curves where society demanded they be and trim elsewhere. She was a dancer by desire and it showed in her well-muscled form. “I mean… I feel wrong.”

Kitty rolled her eyes. “Harley, I repeat: I didn’t get you this job. I got you an audition. It was your dancing that got you this job.”

Harley crossed her arms, frowning. “Yeah… but with my last name? And how much I look like you? Was it really a fair audition?”

“I told Jadjit to treat you fairly.” Kitty shrugged. “It’s hardly your fault if he didn’t.”

Harley groaned. “See?! I totally got this job because I’m your sister!”

“Then enjoy it.” Kitty refused to rise to her sister’s drama. “Everyone gets their big break somewhere. Just because yours came from connections doesn’t mean you’re not a good dancer. You are. Believe me, even if you were my sister, Jadjit’s not risking his movie over bad casting. And dancing makes and breaks these productions. So relax.” Even though she was a newcomer to the scene, Kitty had done her research on Bollywood and knew how the industry worked. She’d wanted to do one of these movies for a long time. Indian film had a bad rap, but Kitty had seen that they could produce quality. She was eager to add her name and influence to that region. There were some that threatened that this could sink her career. Kitty was getting ready to prove them wrong.

“Ugh. You just don’t get it!”

“And you are overreacting.” Kitty’s critique was harsh, but her tone wasn’t. “This industry is built on who knows who. Take advantage of it, because the next dancer definitely will.”

Harley pouted some more but stopped arguing. Instead, her attention settled on the dance director, Rani. The pretty Mumbai native was a veteran of Bollywood movies and had won awards for her choreography. She was also a slave-driver, demanding absolute perfection from all her dancers. Harley knew she needed to be paying attention, so that when Rani called for them, she’d be ready.

“Kitty!” Both of the women turned as Jadjit, the director called her name. “Kitty, there you are.” As usual, the older Indian spoke in a mixture of Hindi and English. That wasn’t uncommon but Harley was lost as the director said, “We’re getting ready to shoot the dance scene. Are you ready?”

Kitty smiled and nodded. “Let me put my face on.” She focused her internal quantum and blackness stained the golden strands of her hair. Her pale skin darkened to a cinnamon brown and her blue eyes turned hazel-green. “I’m ready.”

“Beautiful as always.” Jadjit smiled at her, his brown eyes gleaming with pleasure. “Come, take your place.”

Rani was yelling for the dancers, never seeming to have to lift her voice. Yet they all heard and men and women alike rushed to take their spots. Kitty was more sedate and dignified in her pace; they wouldn’t start without her, nor would anyone begrudge her for taking her time. Her co-star Harinder smiled as he took her hand and they settled into their starting positions. “Ready?” he asked.

“Oh, yeah. I’ve been looking forward to this.” Kitty’s grin was excited as the music started and the director yelled, “Action!

By the time the shadows were too long for continued filming, the dancers were worn out – at least the human ones. Harinder was tired as well, but trying not to show it since Kitty wasn’t showing it yet. She was ready to be done, too; she just wasn’t as ready as her human costars. “That was a good day,” she said to Harinder.

“Yes, it was.” He wasn’t agreeing with her because she was beautiful; they’d accomplished all the scenes needed in the park.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Ahead of them, Harley was leaning on one of the planters, her slim legs stretched out in front of her. She looked tired – a good tired, but tired nonetheless. Kitty waved to her sister, feeling a smile cross her face. It had been a dream of hers to work with Harley on something.

Across the park, Kitty’s sharp eyes caught a sudden flurry of movement. Ghaṭanā’s producer, Basu was arguing with a large group of Asian men. One of them pushed him roughly; Basu was not used to that sort of treatment and he pushed back. Then Kitty saw the guns.

Time froze. She should have shouted a warning, or ran or done any number of things. Instead, she watched as Basu was shot.

Harley spun with a gasp, her hands flying to her face in shocked horror. Her gasp seemed to free Kitty, who grabbed her arm and started to drag her away. The closest exit to the park was to the south and Kitty dragged her sister there as fast as she could. Remaining members of the crew were fleeing too, their thoughts the same as the sisters. But before they’d gotten far, the womens’ way was blocked by more gun men. In short order and with ruthless professionalism, the thugs had herded everyone back into the park. One of them began to speak in rapid Chinese; the mostly-Hindi crew looked baffled. Impatiently, the speaker turned to English. “Your producer failed to pay tax. You now pay tax.”

“Tax?” Harley asked. Kitty grabbed her arm in warning but wasn’t sure Harley had meant to speak.

“Tax to shoot in Hong Kong, in Sham Shui Po Park. This our park, our city.” The man had a scar on his cheek that bounced as he talked. Kitty found herself staring at it, watching it.

“Kitty! Do something!” Harley hissed.

“What?!”

“You’re a nova! Do something to stop them!”

“I’m not that kind of nova!” It was true; Kitty wasn’t that kind of nova at all.

Scar-face spoke again. “Silence! Empty pockets. Turn over money, jewelry, phones. Pay tax.”

“All right.” Kitty agreed to the demand, even as she wished she carried more cash. “Everyone,” she said, her voice shaking, “just give them your things.”

The man focused on her and spat out something in Chinese; Kitty realized with a start that Harinder had been standing in front of her on purpose, trying to hide her. Now gunmen waded into the crowd, shoving people aside to get at her. Kitty flinched as they grabbed her by the arms; she wasn’t going to fight them. That would only make it worse.

But Harley didn’t seem to feel the same. As Kitty was grabbed, her sister lashed out. “Leave her alone!” Harley shrieked, batting at one of the men with closed fists. The other men were starting to get riled as well; deep in the heart of every Indian man was the desire to be Raj fighting for Simran’s heart. More than one of them was madly in love with Kitty.

“Harley, stop!” Kitty begged her sister, knowing that she was only making it worse. Scar-face barked an order and one of them men grabbed Harley. As Kitty screamed, they started to beat her sister, three of them raining blows on her. When Kitty started to sob, the men reacted. Harinder grabbed at one; the sound technician punched the same. In seconds, it was a free-for-all, the Hong Kong thugs against the Indian film crew. Kitty found herself thrust away; she stumbled from the fighting. She turned back desperately, terrified for Harley.

Then sirens rang in the distance. Kitty slumped in relief; the police were coming. The sirens broke up the fighting, drawing apart the gunmen and crew. The thugs didn’t immediately run, instead they opened fire on the group. The automatic weapons tore through the film crew and cast alike. Kitty screamed again as her friends, family and coworkers tumbled to the ground, the smell of blood filling the air. Scar-face glanced at her and fired once; Kitty felt white-hot pain slice into her torso. Then the pain overwhelmed her and Kitty fell, her world going black.

‘Actress of the World’ in Critical Condition

Kitty Pride lies in critical condition in a Hong Kong hospital after a shootout on the set of her new movie, The Hong Kong Incident. Doctors are confident that she’ll make a full recovery in time. Police meanwhile are searching for the perpetrators responsible, which is currently suspected to have come from gang activity.

A number of the crew were injured as well; among them the director Jadjit Mukh and the male lead Harinder Satyen. The exact number of the injured and their status remains unknown. Likewise, the number of dead is unknown but anonymous sources have confirmed that producer Basu Venktesh was pronounced dead on the scene. Also among the dead is Kitty’s sister, Harley Price. Price was hired as a dancer for the production and was on-scene when the shooting occurred.

Memorials have been erected at Sham Shui Po Park in Hong Kong…

Kitty floated in and out of consciousness for an eternity. She wasn’t really in pain; sometimes she thought she might be but it never really became real pain. At some point, she remembered thinking that she must have gotten some really good drugs.

Then she woke up and knew it was good drugs. The pain felt very distant; it was still there but couldn’t touch her. Blearily, she tried to focus on where she was. Though she was having trouble seeing clearly, she had no trouble discerning she was in a hospital. Her head turned on the pillow and found a blur in the room. She blinked several times and it became Connor. “Connor?” she asked, frowning. He straightened in the chair and looked at her, smiling. “Why am I in the hospital?”

Connor looked at her, and she could see that he remained seated only by sheer force of WIll. He still reached out to take her hand, an indication something serious had happened. "One of the Local gangs tried to shake down the set for tribute. Near as I can gather from survivors, you were rightly counseling everyone to give them what they asked, until the men went for you and Harley. Of course your costars, the director and producer simply wouldn't stand for that, and resisted. and they were fired upon."

"Casualties ran high, thankfully it wasn't total, as the Police were nearby, and arrived quickly. The gang left with what they'd already taken. You were shot just below the ribs, a shot that would be potentially fatal for normal humans. Thanks to your inccreased healing rate, you'll recover fully."

Clearly there was something he was holding back. Something bad Connor was generally a straight shooter, for him to not come right out, he was trying to cushion this."I came as soon as I found out, and The local authorities have been cooperating fully, as well as the Chinese government. Extradition is not going to happen if we catch these guys, but I doubt they remaind at large for long. The whole world was inflamed by this attack, and there is great pressure for the responsible parties to be brought to justice." It was easy to see that Connor had put his own aabilities to work there, applying his own brand of pressure.

Kitty’s eyes fluttered shut. This sounded so familiar. But it was also distant, like it was a dream or something. “I think… I kind of remember that.” Her brilliant blue eyes settled on him again. “It’s all a blur, though. What is knows about these guys?”

“They’ve been tentatively identified as the 14K gang, one of the older Hong Kong gangs.” Connor looked grim. “Beyond that, we don’t know much yet. But we will. I meant it – everyone’s working on this.”

“Okay.” Kitty was quiet for a moment; something was nagging at her. “Wait… Harley was there. Connor, is she okay?”

Connor's bright yellow eyes seemed to flash and then darken, then narrow. "Kitty, Harley..." he drew a breath. This wasn't easy. "Harley did not survive her injuries. The severe beating she took along with two shots to her chest, the doctors did everything that could be done to save her, She died, along with Basu Venktesh, the producer and severa other cast ancd crew members. Both the director and male lead were critically wounded, but are still alive. They remain in the ICU, with round the clock guards, and attention."

"You've been unconscious for forty-eight hours Kitty, Some were starting to worry, but I knew you'd pull through."

His reassurances meant little, and for the first time, he was very tempted to actively use his powers to make this easier for her, but she trusted him, and he her, so this was simply done as just a man, and she could tell he grieved for her loss, and knowing him, that there was so little he could do to help her. From the past, she knew he'd move heaven and earth itself if it would help, that was simply how he was.

"No." It wasn't that she was calling him a liar; Connor knew that. It was a denial stated to the universe, a futile prayer that Harley not be dead. "Please, Connor, no."

"I'm so sorry." His words were empty compared to the comfort he wanted to give; she could feel his honest sorrow. He'd met Harley, and had even been gracious when she'd drooled all over her sister's boyfriend. He had liked the younger Price; she was funny and pretty and nice. She did not take any of those qualities to the extremes that Kitty did, but she'd still been a fundamentally decent person.

Kitty's eyes welled with tears as Connor's answer didn't change, and she pressed a hand to her face. "No, no..." The sobs came very quickly, with Kitty saying something about it being her fault, that she should have done something. It wasn't very clear; she was sobbing painfully.

Cinnir moved with a silky smoothness that seemed so effortless, his arms encircling her and holding her to him. "It was not your fault Kitty, you know that. They pulled the trigger, not you. You did everything you could do, that's the kind of woman I know you to be."

He didn't smile, nor try to hold her gaze, though he did wipe away her tears when he could, before allowing her to sob into his chest. "If there's anything at all within my power Kitty that I can do, name it."

he stroked her hair, letting her sob, and went silent, his own grief and sorrow evident.

Kitty cried for a while, clinging to Connor. The sobs racked her, causing her to shake against his body. Kitty needed these tears, but she realized, halfway through, that she needed Connor too. Not just general comfort, but this comfort, his warm, familiar arms. Slowly the tears slowed and eventually Kitty was silent. "Connor?" she asked after a moment.

"Yes?"

"Did she suffer?"

"No." Connor's answer was quick but sure.

Kitty was quiet for a long moment. "Is Mom here?"

"Not yet." Connor shifted Kitty slightly. "She's flying in, but she's not here yet."

"Does she know?" Tears threatened Kitty's voice again.

"Yes." Connor rubbed her back. "I told her. She really wants to see you."

"I don't know why. I'm the one who got Harley killed." Kitty sniffled. "I insisted she take that job."

"She still took it Kitty, it wasn't your fault. You had no idea things would go this way, no one did."

He rubbed her shoulder reassuringly. "This is the fault of the men who pulled the trigger, they made that choice , and when they are caught, Justice will be done Kitty, I promise you. Your fans are in an uproar, and already their are memorials to those who died in the park. They too mourn the loss of good people to ignorance, greed, and violence."

He held her to him tightly. "Do not blame yourself. You didn't do anything wrong here."

"No one else is blaming you, you shouldn't either. Blame and Justice will fall upon the truly guilty."

He wanted to be reassuring, andshe could tell these were his honest feelings. It was an endearing quality he possessed, he never lied to her.

Kitty wanted to believe him but she felt the burden of guilt. It wasn’t really guilt for making her sister take the job; it was guilt for surviving when Harley died. And just as she was smart enough to know where her guilt had come from, she was also smart enough to know not to argue with Connor. She didn’t want to fight with him about whose fault it really was. So she let his voice lull her, and she didn’t say anything else about Harley’s death.

Eventually, Connor was stretched out next to her, comfortably supporting her against his larger frame. This position was one they had shared many times in the past; it was their favorite when one needed comforting from the other. Now Kitty curled against him, feeling his big hands stroke her hair. “Weren’t you on a shoot?” she asked him softly, knowing the answer.

“Yes. It told them to shut down primary shooting for a few days. I think they have some secondary to do, but I’m not available.” His hands continued their gentle movements and his voice vibrated in her ear. “I have more important things to do.”

Tears welled in her eyes. “Thank you.”

He smiled. "You would do the same thing for me." They both knew it was very true. He stroked her hair. "Yourmother's going to be arriving in the morning. The hospital still wants you to stay here tonight, to make sure you don't relapse. If you want, I will stay here tonight with you."

Even if she didn't want him to, he'd be nearby, in case of any desire to elimanate a surviving witness occurred to the triads. They would find someone far more apt and capable this time, if they were so foolish. Once you feel ready to go you can stay with me in the hotel, or if you prefer, come home with me stateside."

He was being protective, like a chivalrous knight, it wasn't chauvanism, simply his real genuine desire to keep her safe, and make her happy. It was an endearing quanlity, and more, it hinted at more.

Time went by, and neither of them moved, etaking some small comfort in being with each other. Two beautiful people, to whom physical beauty meant nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Jenna Price was weeping before she got to her daughter, her blue eyes red from crying. She was an older copy of Harley and it was clear that both girls had gotten the blonde, tall and slender from her. At one time, people had wondered if the three were sisters. Now, that didn’t happen with Katrina anymore, and wouldn’t happen ever again.

These thoughts were painfully on Kitty’s mind when her mother dashed into her room, straight from the airport. Nothing was said as the two women grabbed each other and embraced, their arms going tight around each other. There were more tears, especially when Kitty tried to apologize. “Shut up,” Jenna told her fiercely, pulling back from the hug to grip her daughter’s face. “I don’t ever want to hear you say that again. Those animals killed Har- her, not you.” Then Kitty was pulled back into a tight hug, giving her no room to protest. It wasn’t the most maternal of orders, but then Jenna had never been a traditional mother.

“Is Dad coming?” Kitty asked instead.

“Jake’s gonna be coming, as soon as he can find someone to take over his route.” Jenna didn’t seem happy with this, but she also understood that Jake couldn’t just abandon his load on the side of a road. It was the last haul of the season, and most people who weren’t doing their last hauls were already in their ‘summer’ homes. If there was someone available, Jake would find them.

“Okay.” Kitty sighed and burrowed into the comfort of her mother’s hug.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The bureaucracy insanity started the next day. It was the Chinese or Hong Kong officials at fault; just that any death bought out red tape and headaches. The talk of funerals and preparations was hard on already fragile hearts, and Connor was a godsend in that time. He helped out where ever he could, but mostly, he was there for both women.

Connor was far more busy. When he wasn't cooking and taking Care of Kitty and Jenna, he was making arrangements with the Chinese, answering questions, and handling the press. No one got access to Kitty except through him, and more than a few times this was enough of a deterrent. He'd made several decision regarding Harley, so that they could have the funeral at home. He'd nearly finished cutting through all the red tape.

He was a nearly constant presence for the two of them, especially once Kitty was released from the hospital, and shield unto the world. He cooked for them, and comforted them both. He was the perfect gentleman, doing nothing improper, much as Kitty knew he would be. When Jake finally arrived he found that virtually everything was taken care of, and only the signature of a family member would be needed to release Harley for transport back stateside. Connor nodded to the elder man and shook his hand. "Mr. Price, I'm so sorry for your loss. Kitty and Mrs. Price are in the bedroom on the left, if you want to see them." Connor's tone was genuine, he too grieved at Harley's death and over the pain it caused to Kitty and Jenna.

"If there's anything more I can do to help you or your family, you have only to ask."

“Uh, yeah, thanks.” Jake shook his hand and added, “But its Forester. Jenna and I never married.” They probably never would, either; their relationship was long over. He was still handsome, for a man in his early fifties and slightly overweight. His hair was a mix of gold and white, and his face was lined and weather-worn in a rugged way. “Umm… who are you again?”

“Connor.”

“Oh, right, that guy Kitty was dating.” Jake looked exhausted; straight from a sixteen hour haul over ice-roads, he’d boarded a plane and was in the air another thirteen. “Sorry, I kinda remember you but I have been up… fuck I dunno how long. Thanks for everything you’re doin’, I’m gonna check on Jenna and Kit, but I’ll check back in with you later.”

Connor nodded, but it wasn’t more than five minutes before Kitty slipped out of the room. “Dad fell asleep.” She looked tired herself, but Connor knew she wasn’t sleeping well. Nightmares were bothering her; he hoped they’d get better soon. “Mom will be soon, so I thought I’d come out here.” She paused and looked at the meal he was midway through cooking. “Thanks, Connor. I don’t know what we would have done without you.”

"You'd have made your way through, as you have since I met you. You're a strong woman Kitty, stronger than you realize. From what I can tell, your mother is too." He smiled as he went back to fixing the spaghetti dinner he'd been planning. "You have no idea how hard it was to find the noodles." He smiled. "I figured you were tired of asian cuisine, so I went with what I thought would be easiest."

"You don't need to thank me Kitty. This is what friends do for each other." There was a different tone to the word friends, hard to place but still there. Connor had gone beyond the call of simple friendship, and would continue to do so.

"I know it's silly to ask but are you feeling alright? I've been worried about you, and I know you're not sleeping well." He sighed. "I wish there was more I could do to help you, to help your family and those of the other victims. The manhunt is spread wide, and what I've heard leads me to believe they're close already."

A spoon bent in his hand. "I hate feeling useless."

“You’re not useless.” Kitty took the spoon from his hand and leaned against him. She tossed the spoon in the sink as she hugged him around the waist. “You’ve been really useful to me, here. I don’t know what I would have done without you. You say I would have managed, but it wouldn’t have been pretty.”

They were quiet for a moment, offering and taking comfort. “You didn’t tell me how you’re doing,” he reminded her.

Kitty bit her lip for a moment. “It’s rough. I do have nightmares. I feel helpless, and that’s the truth. You’d have been able to stop them, and all my… beauty and acting skill and everything couldn’t save my sister. I’m not a hero and that didn’t matter until I realized what it meant to not be a hero. What that could cost. It’s just killing me that nova is used in the same breath as hero and yet, when it came to it, in the moment of need and action, I was a lump on the log.”

"Not all novas have world shattering power, Kitty." He enfolded his arms around her, idly brushing her tail gently. "I didn't have this much power starting out, not by half. I've grown into it, pushing my perceptions, see just how much I can do, and how far I can go."

He nodded, and locked his gaze with hers. "I think it comes down to a simple question Kitty, Do you want to be a hero? If so, I know you'll be a great hero, though I'd say to many people you already are."

Kitty snorted gently at his compliment. “Not in the right way.” She gazed up into his eyes and murmured, “I don’t know what I want. Well, not I want in answer to you. Because I know I want my sister back.” The cat-tailed woman buried her face in his chest, struggling not to cry. After she had control again, she lifted her head and added, “I don’t know. I just need… time. Get Hayley… taken care of, and then I’ll be able to think.”

Or so she hoped. The grief was like a crippling veil over her thoughts, obscuring everything. She wasn’t sure she was hero material, because she didn’t want to get the guys who had done this. All she wanted was her sister’s life restored. Kitty wasn’t full of vengeful anger, only grief. What kind of hero was that?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The funeral in Sitka was dismal. For once, the Alaska weather wasn’t bad but Kitty, Jake and Jenna were clearly devastated. They were all leaning heavily on Connor; even Jake was just letting him do things rather than deal with them directly. The service was nice, again due mostly to Connor, though Kitty had helped.

Afterward, they went back to Jenna’s house. There was a lot of awkward silences and people staring moodily out the windows. Sitka had a chilly beauty in early May; temperatures rarely reached sixty degrees. The water and the clouds gave it a gray, steely look that seemed almost mystical.

Kitty’s phone rang and she answered. “Ms. Price?”

The Chinese accent stirred bad memories, but Kitty said, “This is she.”

“Ms. Price, I am Chiang Wang. I am part of a group who wishes to see the Sun Yee On pay for what they have done. My reason for calling is to offer my condolences.”

Kitty blinked. This was a private number – how had they gotten it? “Thank you.” She wasn’t sure she should be polite. “Who are you with?”

There was a pause; then Wang said, “Another group, like the Sun Yee On. Would you like to join us when we find those responsible?”

“I only wish that I had the will for that.” Kitty’s voice was sad. “I’m not the kind of person who is capable of that, or defending others.”

“If you truly wish, then come to Hong Kong. Make your wish reality. Just call me, and I will help.”

“No offense, but I don’t think I want to learn from a criminal.” Kitty’s tact was running short.

Wang’s voice didn’t change. “And that is not what I meant. Should you want it, call and I will help. Again, my condolences.”

“Thank you.” They said farewell and hung up; Kitty was silent and thoughtful for a long moment.

Connor had listened, hearing Kitty's half and some of the other half, and he came up behind her and put an arm around her shoulders. He smiled, leading her out to the back porch, and shut the door behind them. "That was someone, probably Chinese, asking if you wished to take revenge for your sister and the others who died?"

He didn't use a judging tone, merely curious. "I trust he also offered his condolences?"

He looked at her and smiled. "I think you made the right call, not aiding him. Though I believe you're wrong on one thing you said. You are someone who can defend people, maybe not in the physical sense, as some can, but you have a gift with words, one that can armor against the boredom, despair, and melancholy so many people live with and experience in their daily lives. Such a gift is to be praised, and in more ways, I think it can be far more reaching. You can inspire people, and give them hope."

The same had certainly been said about him, and he always deferred. He was an actor, an entertainer, moonlighting in the DSA to help smoothe over nova/human relations, lending his star power to dozens of efforts, from charities to refugee rights.

His smile said it all, "I will always be here to help you, whatever you decide."

He nodded. "I do think you made the right call there."

• 4 weeks later...

It didn’t feel like the right call, but Kitty nodded. “Yeah. It’d be a bad idea to get involved.” She glanced at Connor. “So what are your plans?”

Connor smiled and tightened his arm around her. “I’m right here, as long as you need me. That’s my plan.”

“You, Buster, have a life outside of me. You can’t stay here and nursemaid me all the time. You have things to do, films to shoot. You’ve already gone above and beyond.” Kitty turned so that she could face him, her hands rest on his shoulders. “Hush. I said you can’t stay and I meant it. I should have said you shouldn’t stay here and hold my hand. I’m a big girl, Connor, and I have to start taking care of myself. I’ll never forget what you’ve done here. But… I know I can’t depend on you forever. So, how long do you want to be my guest?” The distinction she was making was small but important: Connor was welcome to stay as her guest, but she didn’t need him to be a constant bedrock.

Well, she might need him to be, but she wasn’t going to let him be that anymore.

Part of him was glad she was standing up on her own. Still it wasn't like he minded being there for her.

"I'll stay tonight then, you and I can go eat at that Steakhouse I saw while I was out, then in the morning I'll head back South. I'll take care of my buisness, and with any luck it won't bee too long before I hear from you or see you again in warmer climes."

"You know how to reach me if I can be of some help, Kitty." He wanted to reinforce this newfound resolve, yet at the same time, he cared for her, and wanted to make sure she knew he would be there should she need him.

A part of him still felt though that she was almost rejecting him again. It was difficult to squash it completely, but he knew this was indeed going to be better for her in the long run. He knew a change was coming, and as always, he would be ready not to catch her, but to stand beside her, and come help only if asked.

Archived