Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - (Interlude) Ghosts of the Past (Fin)

Karren Gaunt

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I think I'm going to help Dan with the Burgers." Kamiko says. "Maybe you, Mary, and Sonja can get to know one another. I sort of came into the conversation early... perhaps sometime I can get to know you better, Sarah."

She nods, coming to terms that this was not the Sarah of this world. Nothing more than a visitor, a guest to this universe. But she hoped she could stay.

"I'd look forward to that, Kamiko, and it's my pleasure to get to know all you better," the blonde sizeshifter managed with a kind expression, knowing she'd have time to change into something larger once the burgers were ready, "Be sure you two make enough for a ten-foot tall 'nova', too. I'm afraid my power has left it's mark on me even when I don't want it to."

She gestured at herself, "*This* is a rather nice trick I learned to avoid bumping into ceilings."

Kamiko smiles. "My familiars just fold themselves."

She straightens her clothes. "Oh... since you are a guest of Dan's, I should show you my new abode. I've been busy moving things there and it's looking quite lovely now. Oh... and the max headroom there is 10 meters."

"Ever been to space, Sarah? Perhaps sometime I can show you."

"There is a time for everything, Kami-chan. She's just arrived. We'll get to have time together I am sure."

Mary knew all of this was a shock for the Sarah of Zombieworld as Mary now called it.

"I am sure though, we will make Sarah feel more than welcome here none the less."

She smiles to Sarah and actually manages a giggle. "Still trying to wrap my head around the fact a Sarah from another universe is standing before me."

"Fascinating, actually. I've heard of Novas who could leap the gap between universes. With what my Mother was capable of I may have enherited that power. I have read her journal and in the back of my mind something rings there telling me I am capable of it."

"But that is beside the point, Dad. The point is the person standing before us is Sarah Hawkins, but not one we knew. We must be prepared for the possibility she may be an unstable element from issues she brought from her universe. That sort of world can create fast amounts of psychological damage. I worry about that."

She closes her eyes. "I remember seeing Sarah once or twice before her death. I had blacked some of it out because it reminded me of my loss at the time when your Sarah died... those feelings came back, but... not like they used to at all. Have I... stopped missing my first parents, Dad?"

"Try it from my perspective," Sarah answered the female Elite, privately glad the older girl had been hustled out before her, probably fairly transparent, mask of self control could rupture at one mention too many of this world's good fortune compared to her own, the effort straining her stoic good nature considerably. She was only human in that regard, no pillar of unatural calm. That was where she needed Dan, and... here he was and was not, preparing their meal just a room or two away.

The contradiction hurt. Still... Cope. Survive. And if she could, a voice whispered, maybe she could cross back over with help. Maybe.

"More than likely in your world I was killed by the zombies... or worse became one."

She adjusts her suit as she stands and looks outside through a nearby window. "Sarah. I knew your analogue here. She was a wonderful, wonderful woman. I knew this very personally. I helped Dan and Sarah get together."

"To be honest this is a very large ripple in a small pond what has just happened, Sarah. As The Sifu, Shen, and Dan have taught, all actions create reactions."

"You... seem to need some adjustment time. I bet you feel like someone being taught how to swim by being pushed off of a dock. It's sudden... and with what you have experienced... we must seem hedonists... downright spoiled."

"But, consider the options, you have us... people who are willing to provide shelter, sustenance, and to help you find a place here. Then there is the other alternative... one which I am sure you don't want to return to voluntarily."

"I wouldn't wish your world on anyone."

She turns and her blue eyes had a new intensity, and it seems the Elvish gunslinger, heir to the way of the pistol, as well. "Although the thought of going back there myself to purge Zombies sounds like fun."

The perfect battlefield... one where a true warrior could die with honor... Could this be the drive and feeling Two-Hands felt years ago?

Kamiko leans on Dan, holding an arm. "Just... help me to remember and we'll be fine."

She releases Dan's arm, and starts working on the buns. She grabs some garlic powder and starts preparing her buns.

"I'm going to do some special preparations for my buns, using some garlic powder and butter to make some garlic toast buns."

"If you're interested I'll make a few extra for you or if Sonja would like one prepped like that I can do that for her too."

She smiles. "Or for Sarah and Mary."

She turns and her blue eyes had a new intensity, and it seems the Elvish gunslinger, heir to the way of the pistol, as well. "Although the thought of going back there myself to purge Zombies sounds like fun."

"You don't understand understand anything about it," Sarah answered blackly, expression going stone hard before cracking into raw molten anger complete with toxic gases of contempt, "Nothing at all. It's not about fun. It's not about purging the Zeds. It's about doing everything we can to save even one life a day to keep the human race going against a plague that turns our very loved ones against us with but a scratch and robs our wombs of life. It's about ordering a tide of death to stop carrying away lives we no longer have any hope of replacing. It's about me and my fellow Supers knowing that one of us will be the one left to turn out the lights, alone save for a handful of us as the Black takes us one by one. It's about a corrupted Super taking even the comfort of my husband and child away and not even leaving me a body to intere because I wasn't there! Because I was helping someone else! If I knew how, I should have gone back already! I have a duty, responsibilties, a job I've picked up and not put down for 15 years, and... and... You think it'd be fun?! Damn you, Mary Masters, damn you!!"

The blonde sizeshifter was in Mary's face as she finished her outburst, pouring the full force of her superhuman personality and 16 bad years of anger and hopelessness and oven-fresh grief up at the other Nova, fists clenced white at her side, voice bouncing off the walls as she reflexsively invoked her powers to get her point across.

Clarion in effect

Ensign is cowed back, feeling the penetration of her voice. But to an alpha personality like Mary, the use of quantum in an argument is an escalation.

"So, you just used your powers to get your point across... Miss Hideyoshi did that once and nearly hurt someone I love. She lost a lot in the process and caused a crisis of faith that lead to her Apotheosis. She might have seemed all rosy-cheeked and bushy-tailed but trust me... she has a lot of crosses she bears."

"I am in a similar war Sarah, even though it is a far more subtle one. Every day Novas are sterilized and for what reason? Population control. Every day fertile mothers and fathers are killed for the sin of wanting to fulfill their genetic obligation to the next generation. And why? Fear. Sarah. Every day I wage a war where the line between the innocent and the guilty is blurred and I may just kill someone not in the enemy camp. And for what, Sarah?"

She walks right up to Sarah and faces her dead in the eyes. "The reason why I would call going to your world fun is because at least I know who my enemy truly is. No more cloak and dagger... Just me and a justified position."

"I fight for a better tomorrow for Novakind, Sarah... I don't believe in Kamiko's rosy little view that "Metahumanity" can unite for a greater cause. That is impossible. It's far better to ensure our next generation survives. And proves everyone wrong."

Her glare isn't one of condemnation.

"We both have it damn hard. Don't start with the I had it hard business with me. Because sister, you ain't a unique little snowflake."

"No... I can intervene on this." Kamiko says, holding him back and a look on her face that said "Trust me".

She runs in, her apron still on and has a look of concern.

"Okay you two... this has gone too far! Mary, I want you to take your guns off and kick them to me! Sarah, I want you to stand down and power down. Right this instant! I wanted you two to get to know each other, not start world war three... now, I got burgers cooking and if they burn it's both your faults... now, as far as I am concerned I must separate you two. Sarah, you come with me, Mary, you keep an eye on Sonja until Supper is ready.

Do we have an understanding?"

Time for the Diplomatic Swaggah
Spending one quantum to activate Persuader. Since Kamiko is at high risk ATM and both subjects (Mary and Sarah) get willpower rolls to completely resist this, I only get +1 auto success on my diplomacy roll and it could be all for naught. She also has Mediator which provides 3 automatic successes on diplomacy rolls. Since this is involving Mediation or Negotiation, her specialty for Diplomacy kicks in providing +1 die on the roll.

[Kamiko] 9:24 pm: Last 5 mega manipulation

Kamiko *rolls* 17d10: 3+9+7+3+3+8+10+9+6+7+10+3+1+3+9+2+1: 94

That is 14 Successes with the bonuses from my enhancements. Now Willpower can be used to resist.

Sarah's mind washes out Kami's quantum influence without breaking a sweat, but the rest of her words break through the near-enraged and ready to exercise a little 'me and a justified position' action in a way she was so little able to allow herself back home. She was a guest, and a guest owed her host respect, no matter the insult delivered to her. "Fine," she growled, eyes flashing a final 'This is not over.' glare to Mary before she looked away and stalked past the wonderchild, muscles still tense and ready for a brawl as she unclenched by inches.

Kamiko nods to Mary, holstered pistols in hand, then follows Sarah back to the Kitchen. but then she stops in the hall, her eyes starting to bulge.

"Oh my god, what have I done..."

She falls to her knees. "What... what did I do..." She starts to sniffle, then she pounds the floor. "Dammit, Kamiko..."

It was at that moment that dan entered the room. "Dinner's almost ready." He motioned for Sonja to come with him, and he nodded to Sarah and Mary. "I'm disappointed in both of you." There was no quantum backing his words, only a quiet resignation.

He left the room with Sonja, after his eyes speared Kamiko with a momentary glare. Then he was back in the Kitchen, Sonja's voice the one heard? "Daddy?"

"It will be alright, sometimes Grownups simply don't understand each other." She hugged him and he pat her head as he cooled. "We must strive to do so though."

"Are they gonna leave?"

"Only if they want to. I've said they can stay, and I keep my promises." She smiled to him and nodded. "I know Daddy. I don't want any of them to go."

Sarah's anger was quite-nicely softened by Kamiko's inexplicable fit, so out of chracter for the composed seeming young woman as to get a blatant 'what-the-hell' look of confusion and disbelief. To this came Dan's follow up and the anger died a quiet unmourned death. Without hesitation, Sarah knealt near the wonderchild, voice soft and grateful, "What you did was stop eiether of us from ruining your Father's home in a fight a tired, over-stimulated woman would have started. Now why are *you* upset? *If* it's about using your powers, if you used them to calm us, don't be. They're a part of you, and you can no more be blamed for that than a bird using it's wings to fly. I'm mostly immune to emotional powers anyway, so the words themselves were what stopped me. Not your 'quantum' if that's the term for it. The intent was good, and good intent is enough to be forgiven."

She smiled warmly, reciting part of a speech she got to trot out all too rarely to new Supers.

"What I did... what I did was rape, Sarah... I forced myself on you and hid that behind a cloak of doing the greater good. Don't you understand?"

She puts her hands on Sarah's shoulders. "I... I've completely thrown away all that I speak of... in one action I became what I stand against."

Her hands slide off Sarah's shoulders. She looks worse now than ever. "There is no excuse or forgiveness deserved for what I've done..."

"Kamiko. Look at me," the blonde sizeshifter instructed a touch harshly, enough to get the wondergirl who was reminding Sarah that whatever they called them Supers always had the weakness of a mind that had been human at one point. It was enough to want to hit the child, if slapping people actually helped someone get over themselves

"You, perhaps, made a mistake in calling on your active powers to calm us. That is a fact. That is also in the past. You can't live your life beating yourself up for every mistake. If you do that, if we all did that, nothing would ever get done. I have done terrible things in my life trying to help others and myself survive, and I don't doubt they've left scars. But I couldn't afford to wallow for breaching my morals in the heat of the moment back home, and it looks like you can afford to do it even less with all the shades of grey going on. Flexibiliy is a virtue. Remember your mistakes. Try not to repeat them. But don't wallow in them, and for God's sake, make an effort to love yourself first and forgive your flaws. If you don't, no one else will after awhile."

Sarah's voice range with hard-earned conviction at speaking one of the pillars by which she'd lived her life, the first pillar of benign humanism she had learned from her now-dead mentor.

The smell of freshly cooked burgers wafted from the kitchen, and they were moving away as Dan headed to the dining room. "Come and get it while it's hot." Kamiko was having issues, and he hoped giving her something else to focuks on would help for the moment. "Kamiko, Mary, Sarah, come on, Sonja might not leave you any...."

Kamiko looked stunned as she stood up.

She walked to the Kitchen she had been to numerous times before, and sat Mary's guns on the table.

She was confused about what Sarah said. Thing is this was already adding to the confusion Kamiko had in her head regarding what she just did. And god forbid if Mary actually found out... she would kill her in one shot. At least with the emotional stability she had right now.

She pulled out her buns and then set them aside. "Okay... the special buns are ready. Garlic toasted and ready to serve to your liking."

There was no emotion behind what she did, she was going through the motions as she sat the sheet down on the stove and prepared her burgers.

Dan's hand reached out and squeezed Kamiko's shoulder, hard enough to get her attention, but still in a reasuring manner. He smiled to her, the same fatherly smile she'd come to know "We can talk later Kamiko, just us, for now, enjoy yourself. I'm not mad at you. You stopped a bad situation from getting worse."

He hoped his words consoled her.

Ensign blinked at Dan's reaction... Then she realized through deduction what Kamiko did. At first her reflex was to get angry but then her mind put everything together. A moment of clarity struck instead.

"Dammit Mary..."

She walks over to Kamiko. "We'll talk indeed... but, I owe someone an apology right now." She puts a reassuring hand on Kamiko. "You... you were right to do what you did. But I have to think about that."

She walks to Sarah. "You... You're right. We've both been through the wringer but you had it worse. At least I have family and friends to return to after every bad day... all you had to look forward to was another bad night. I can see why you reacted how I did with my remarks and... Yeah... I really FUBAR'd this big time."

"I hope you can forgive my behavior..."

"Thanks... I'm just shocked how casually I did it though." Kamiko said.

"I'm sorry... I don't know if I'm being hard or myself or I'm justified in feeling guilty..."

She goes back to her burgers. "I... left some spare garlic buns for those that want to try them. I've been experimenting."

Sarah nodded understanding and rose, dusting off the knees of her bathrobe, "I'm going to change into something larger unless my clothing is clean and dry already. It's been... years since I've seen a conventionally working washing machine and a long day, so I'm having genuine trouble remembering how long it takes. Be back in less than a minute so don't hesitate to pray and start serving without me."

The blonde sizeshifter offered a wave over one shoulder as she left to deliver on her words, body language as charming and untroubled as a windless pond on a summer's day.

Kamiko pulls out another tray... before the interruption she grabbed some onion rings and had them cooking. She can't resist those.

She smells the onion smell from the rings which got hidden by the garlic buns and the smell of the burgers cooking. Then she finally cracks a smile.

"Now that is a treat waiting to happen, gang!"

She starts arranging the rest of the meal. "Now remember everyone, I would like everyone here to forget their troubles now while we eat, it's bad for digestion."

Sarah returned not a minute or two later as promised, dressed in a new robe and moving the chair on her side of the table out of the way. She sat down on the floor and allowed herself to relax and exspand, giving Mary and Kami a look at her natural stature for the first time, dominating that side of the room even sitting still. The blonde sizeshifter reached up and brushed a lock of hair behind her ear, a wry smile on her lips.

"Looks like you made enough for all of us," she commented softly, "Smells good, too. What do we have?"

Hamburgers and frenchfries with all the fixings, Some of the buns have been prepared and turned into garlic bred buns. We've got tea, water, and soda for drinks."

He nodded. "I duno if it's enough for everyone, but I figured forty would be a good start. If I need to I can make some more."

For Dan, Sarah Hawkins made him wonder. He wanted to know more, about her, about the other him... He was just waiting for a way to ask without seeming to eager to know.

"I made some spare patties, loads of onion rings, and of course there are garlic buns ready to go."

She smiles. "Should be a proper loadout for us, I am fully aware of the caloric needs of Dad, Sonja, and Mary... I hedged and increased the typical allotment for Mary for you, Sarah. Since with your growth ability you probably require a high-octane diet."

She adjusts her apron. "But if there are any patties left over let me know, I can use the left overs."

Sarah laughed and didn't need inviting twice, a plus-sized Nova appetite and old memories of treating herself to fastfood like this once every other week or so guiding her in putting together a utilitarian burger, the first of many until she could feel gorged and content. It wasn't often she could feel that way, and plain common sense silenced any thoughts not imediately related to the meal and the food. That said, nothing kept a meal going like light conversation.

"Not as much you'd think, Kamiko. Almost all the mass I create when I grow is temporary, energy from reserves spun into matter I'm told. We may not have had your infrastructure to study our abilties, but we have scientific minds enough to take chunks out of me and gasp as a piece of my finger the size of a steak becomes about *so* big before their eyes," Sarah offered, thumb and forefinger about an inch apart, laughter in her eyes at the memory, one of the good times.

"Kamiko is full of theories, Sarah. That is something you'll discover about that girl."

"But she might have a point. Sustenance does improve the energy reserves in accompaniment of proper rest."

"I still need to remind her of a proper diet. She's been eating instant noodles for the past couple months."

Kamiko feels a little uncomfortable. "Well... I've not had proper food on the station for that long. All that was there was the long-term rations."

"They were getting near expiration so I thought 'hey, why let this go to waste, and I'm hungry' so... here I am."

She smiles looking at her burgers and rings set up on her plate. "So... let's get set up!"

She puts her meal on the table and stands next to her chair.

Archived