Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Secrets Revealed [Fin]

Dan Hawkins

Puck had flitted through all the equipment, curious as any cat. He'd also taken the time to greet each of the Stars and kiss them properly; the lack of the link lurking the back of his mind had him on edge again, as did the feeling from Dan, but he was doing his best.

He piled into the car with the others and watched Dan, musing quietly to himself, "I should probably learn how to drive."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan couldn't help himself. "Of all the things you can do, simple driving isn't one of them Puck?" There was a tone of Friendly teasing to his voice. "Wonders never cease." Sonja was next to him, smiling happily.

"I could teach you, it's not too hard. Hell you could probably learn the basics just by watching."

He looked to Star for the reference, with a huge grin on his face. "I'm so proud of you for that reference, though it's more than twice as old as you."

He looked ahead, and nodded. "We're going to space Sonja, be ready and just allow yourself to adapt as always."

"Okay Daddy."

The cute little blonde nova was alll smiles. She had her dad and Puck and Star on this trip, it was going to be great fun.

"Alright Star, Set Coordinates to Towne, and take us out."

Going with the bit, she did so, and the convoy made the trek across the vastness of space separating Mars and Towne, some eighty lightyears in mere moments.

Beneath them a blue white world spun, and Dan had provided coordinates for landing in the plains adjacent to the Circle Sea, and the natural harbor of Port Howard. He smiled. It was just as it had been the first time he came, and he knew it would be what it had been then as well.

"I live in New York, Dan. I've simply never had to learn and had many other skills to learn that took precedence." He nodded to the ex-Elite, "But thank you; lessons would be much appreciated."

Once they were through the gate Puck let his signature flood the area, attuning everything and everyone in their caravan. He shimmered into his energy form and felt out the spot that Dan had indicated on the map. A moment later, they were smelling sea-salt laden air and sitting comfortably on a bed of waist-high green and golden grasses. It smelled good here - not quite Earth, but pure and healthy. The sun in the sky was a bit smaller than Sol, more white and much hotter than its cousin. Colors were a bit more washed-out because of the intensity of the light, but Dan had told them that the three moons reflecting light at different points in the spectrum at night was one of the most entrancing experiences he'd every had. The planet orbited farther out because of this, making its the equivalent of four Earth years; the planet itself did not tilt anywhere near as much as Earth did, though, so seasonal changes were much more mild. The tropical and subtropical bands were much smaller, but the combination of weather patterns and some interesting plant-life extended the temperate zone over most of the planet. The ice-caps were large and the transition from temperate zone to cold zone to the edge of the polar zone could be measured in kilometers; the seas were shallow, too shallow for large Earth marine life like whales, but more than deep enough for good fishing and with enough surface area for the algea-cousin that produced a large measure of the breathable air here and on Earth. The tides were less pronounced, due to the small sizes of all three moons, but effectively random from the effects of three different celestial bodies on the water. The tide was high right now, the water lapping at very edges of the beach a dozen or so meters from them.

All in all, it was a beautiful world.

"I can't drive well either." chuckled Star as they made the jump to the sea side ... and in that moment she was speechless.

This was a pristine place, and so much like Earth. All she could do was look around, get out of the truck cab ... as some of the other selves were doing as if being reflections of her. All of their reactions were ones of awe, literally being struck with awe.

One Star, from Truck four in the distance, managed to speak "The universe provides us with what we need."

As the other Stars slowly drew close to Dan and Puck, Star Prime said "Thank you Dan. Its really great. Is it my nose, or does the grass smell a little like ... chocolate?" She laughed ... "It must be me. The little one is sending my taste buds such as they are into overdrive. Olfactory too."

Dan sighed. "You kids these days."

Once the Stars came near, he smiled "Welcome to the Hyboria continent, on the world of Towne. This is the natural harbor of Port Howard. To our east The Gunderland Mountains, and a very special place I'll take you before we go home."

He smiled. "Many years ago a Writer created the World of Towne for a game. Twenty years later, a man who happened to be a fan of the game errupted, blessed with the gifts to explore the stars. For whatever reason, perhaps proividence itself, He was a fan of that fictional world. Using little more than guesswork, and Figures that were almost random, He journeyed forth into space, and by his will, found his way here. What he found was unexpected, Towne was real. At least there was a blue white world here, blessed with life, and capable of supporting even humans."

He nodded. "This world is pristine, or very nearly so, only three before you have felt this sand between their toes. I offer this world, the legacy of the names attached to it, to you knowing you will use it well, and seek to keep it much as it is."

"I think, a little village. The prefabs I chose will last a long time if they are sprayed with earthen poly-plaster once every ten years. They will be very comfortable too. We have enough here to put up a nice little village. Most of the capacity will go unused even with a core of .. say ten families who we getto come out here. We have to have some people here full time, to keep things going and growing."

"Most of it I can build myself ... any help will make it very fast. Especially for the fiddly stuff. I see plenty of fish ... or something like fish ... in the port. Plenty of wood for crafting things as a cottage industry. Useful things too, and the rest of the biomass can be used in standard commercial bio-reactors to produce edibles. I'll bet ... from the look and smell, that there are plenty of edibles here. Maybe they need some treatment, but there is ample food potential with a little work."

"The climate is nice ... and I see why you took us here. Port Howard .." Star looked at the data-band display "A nice place. No major weather risks, no major disaster potential. I'll still put in a town block. A reinforced building, cut stone, some good basement levels. That will provide easier cold storage too."

The Stars looked around, and were busily transmitting details and plans to each other's data bands as the prime Star chatted with Puck and Dan.

"Of course," she added "I can visit fairly often. This place, the people building a community here would not be alone."

Asking both Puck and Dan "What do you both think?" as she projected some holograms of her village concept.

Port Howard 2027
See the bottom of this page:

https://sites.google...mplar/dark-star

Puck looked over Star's plans, but Dan's request had his mind going in slightly different directions.

"Star....what about putting this all on a floating platform with engines to keep it steady and in one place on the water? Then we wouldn't be imposing on the world itself so much. The seas are shallow, but quite deep enough that the presence and shadow of such a city shouldn't disrupt the sea any more than a developed port city would. I know that would mean changing many of the plans you have laid out, but....as Dan and you have both said, this world is a gift. A little more time for a result that allows colonists to live in a safe, modern environment with virtually no negative impact on the world itself - that seems worth the time to me."

His expression was hopeful and trusting - Star was the expert on these things, she'd know if it was honestly feasible in any sort of acceptable timetable or not.

OOC stuff
Puck is essentially suggesting a floating city like Atlantis from the Stargate: Atlantis show. I once did rough measurements for the city (yes, I'm a dork, and yes it was for the SGA game here) and the way the city was built it could have housed several billion people (average 3 mile diameter and structures running from a quarter mile underwater (though most of that was the engine) to two miles up (the main tower). The average building height was about 3/4 of a mile. With an average of ten foot ceilings and another three feet between floors, even discounting the underground area....that's a lot of floors and a lot of room. You could have two to three of those city's on a planet and house all of Earth's current population with room to spare on them. The projected population for 2027 is a little over 8 billion. You could still fit all of that on three of those ships, though with a bit less wiggle room. The Ancients never did build small. :D

The Stars stopped, and considered. Prime Star looked at the other Stars and said "Lets go over platform 32. See what we can do." as she pointed to a the crew cab on truck three. One of the Stars went and got a proper portable computer while the rest except Prime Star gathered round.

Prime Star created a servitor which was a long wide desk, glowing blue with energy and bench seating enough for everyone.

She smiled and said "Thats a good idea. One I hadn't considered."

"We might be able to do it too, but making a safe floating village with less environmental impact that has less environmental impact than the one we have here is going to be a matter of running the numbers. It is a question we can answer here in about fifteen minutes though - through an assessment. If you we can do it in the time we need, safely, then we can store everything here in the caches."

"We probably can't do anything faster than about four weeks. Plus it will be expensive. The work can't be done here for two reasons: Any heavy industry on this world totally defeats the point, and to make a safe and self sustaining naval platform that can accommodate a thousand people long term is not a trivial project. That needs access to certain things in terms of industrial equipment that just don't exist here. I even have a friend who can create machinery out of air ... this is too large a project for even her to do that. It requires manufacturing."

The Stars began to refine the basic design of the platform they pulled up from files, networking their portable and personal data bands. Puck and Dan are invited over to sit through the process. The long design desk servitor projected a working hologram of the information on a smaller portable computer display.

"So, the village has a very small environmental footprint because it only needs to cycle energy and waste for people and a smattering of portable equipment. The buildings are all passive solar, wind power, and use some standard commercial bio-reactors and solar panels for supplementary power. More or less, the village is a closed system that takes in receivables and puts out some fertilizer. The village is, essentially, a composite of the living cycles of the people who would reside there. With capacity for a thousand people, thats a fair bit."

"I brought enough prefabs for a thousand with this load, which is not hard. Most of it is fabric in domes that are inflated. Then, an industrial sprayer is used to coat the fabric domes with a mixture of earth taken from here and a polymer stabilizer. That is the poly-adobe, and its hardens into a nice sturdy structure with good thermal characteristics. For the most part, these buildings don't need to be heated or cooled. The body heat of biological process inside them, the wind, and passive solar techniques like adjusting the window awnings once or twice a week to account for the angle of the sun allows you to manage the temperature in the structure. About as environmentally friendly away to live as there is."

"Waste, of all sorts, eventually makes it to some sort of reuse or recycling. A solar furnace allows some high temperature stuff, like pottery ... which actually uses waste. Bioreactors just like the ones they use at island resorts or city restaurants today cycle other waste. This, and fertilizer from sewage is used to grow things in greenhouses. Growing certain things is necessary, because people need vitamins, minerals, nutrients and medicines. A surprising variety of these things can be grown. The greenhouses we need, because we need to shelter the plants we bring from earth. Some seeds are going to get out, bacteria are going to be transferred, its inevitable. We are setting up here because staying on Earth may become dangerous very shortly ... and minor changes to the biosphere are going to happen. Even from our visit, right now ... plenty have already happened on tiny scales from the Nova survey work of Dan's friend. Still, we don't have to spread seeds around on purpose until we know which ones might present a threat to the life here. We have to give life its credit though, life is very robust. It can handle it, and in response it grows and improves. Thats what the village in this respect is designed to stimulate in the long term - a more vibrant biosphere here."

Star outlined a few more lesser details of the way the village she planned work, until it was clear that Puck and Dan found them less and less relevant to concerns ... she'd clearly put lots of thought into the impact of the village. Then, she switched to the platform the Stars had been working on.

"The Platform is a good idea for a couple of reasons. We would be bringing along alot more technology. Thats also a mixed blessing. My first priority is that this place be a safe place for us to live and raise children... if we have to. Not only us, but close friends, family of ours.

"Raising kids with people around really is best. Trust me, from both personal experience and study ... having other people around, other kids, its the healthiest thing for any child - nova or not. It gives the child certain advantages and perspective that can be instilled in a more isolated environment, but instilling these things then takes plenty of effort. Effort which is not guaranteed to succeed in the case of every child. So, I don't want my child to be distant, cold, or socially inept. Thats why between a hundred and a thousand people is desirable. Also, a community takes people. There are things that just don't happen below a certain population - dynamics, specialization of knowledge, and that counts even for Novas. Its not about the type of individual, its just math stemming from time in the day to do things."

"So mixed blessing with technology. The technology for the platform has to be quite complicated relative to the village to do the same thing. Thats because on a platform, it all has to be mobile. There are also lots of things you can do with beds of gravel and earthworks ... like solar furnaces and filtration beds for water .... that you can't do on a ship except with much more sophisticated tech. You can see the list my other selves are working on ... even a basic ship like this has hundreds of sub systems. They all have to have backups too, because unlike gravel beds and polished-reflectors on stone walls ... they are more subject to failure. The more advanced technology gets, the more maintenance it needs."

"Higher maintenance needs also necessitate an extensive machine shop on board, plus parts storage - since mining and smelting the materials here again defeats the point or is not currently feasible. All of this takes energy, a bigger platform takes more energy ... so you get into the Thorium reactors. Clean and safe, thorium based nuclear power is what we will need here. We need three reactors with 150% peak capacity because even these units need maintenance, can have problems, etc. A significant portion of the energy requirement is for basic propulsion. We aren't talking anything speedy here ... but storms do and will happen, ocean platforms sometimes have to be abandoned - not an option here - or move. So it will, rarely, have to be able to move."

"Now that all sounds like downsides, but they are not. Having a big machine shop on hand is very handy. Being able to move the platform is also very useful. Having more extensive power systems ... also desirable. In the village setup, people wouldn't have the chance to keep up tech related skills of this kind."

The design specs were starting to take shape now. The basic platform design had been easy to alter. Before, it had been an oceanic work platform designed for GNS to give to companies that might be doing industry on an alien ocean. The basic design had already been very good, and the Stars had just turned it into a village.

"I can build this thing quickly, and keep it quiet ... but it will take money. Serious money ... about sixteen billion dollars. Construction time isn't really what makes it expensive ... lots of things I can make myself. Keeping it quiet does account for about four billion of that estimate. I can't source the parts I would need to buy quietly and have it be economical. Plus I would need to pull some tricks to conceal the purchases."

"The four weeks, by the way ... is getting a construction yard in order and splashing down a multi-hull that people can live in. The interior and fittings would be rough, and another three months or more would be needed to finish the inside. In that time, it would be livable ... but rough."

"The other thing is security ... Dan, I would need you for about a hundred forty hours of inspection. Inspection work only an experienced cyber kinetic with magnetic powers can do. Puck, you using your senses and social abilities in the process would also be required ... to the tune of about a hundred twenty hours work."

"Before you go there, making the platform smaller only reduces the price tag. Lots of this work is security related ... if we were publicly building this for New Hope it would not exist. The only thing making a smaller platform means is that we save some dollars now, but have to spend them plus plus plus to build another platform if we find this one was too small. The work would also be done over again, for a second platform. Again, that is why I am designing for a thousand people. This is a safety net first."

"Now, I am all in for building the platform settlement. I like it, and nothing prevents us from just keeping the village we brought in boxes ... hiding it all in caches as a backup. Really, with four of me and you two the village would only take about five days to mostly set up. Even in a situation with refugees, an evacuation, there would be enough shelter on day one to make it livable."

"Building the platform also leaves us with a well equipped construction yard somewhere else in space. I don't have a yard of my own like this yet. The GNS yards are small, and the big yards in the belt that we have helped with actually belong to Mitsubishi and Congo-Central-Mineral respectively. The Congo one isn't even going yet ... no way we could use or want to use their equipment. For security reasons, I'd put the yard in this system. Maybe tucked away on a low-g moon. So I really am in for building the platform ... I heart construction projects."

"Thoughts?"

Towne Ocean Platform
See the end of this page for an image:

https://sites.google...mplar/dark-star

A note on the money - IC I used what I estimate to be 2027 dollars. Just like a decent cup of coffee cost 3 cents in 1930, and three dollars in 2010 ... inflation WILL happen. Any time an economy is healthy and active, inflation happens. We aren't confusing inflation which is natural, with hyper-inflation which is bad. For those without a macro-economics background, equate it to breathing. Ventilation happens, you want it to happen ... hyper-ventilation is too much breathing, and is bad.

So if dealing in today's dollars, 16 billion might be more like 8 billion. No matter how you slice and dice it though, a self contained long term mobile oceanic habitat for 1000 people built in secret ... that is going to be expensive. No way around that. Of course, a cup of coffee in the Nova age 2027 probably does cost $18.

The cup of coffee thing may seem unbelievable, but economics has not changed even with Novas. They are better at it, but people are still buying and selling things. Resources are still finite, and people still want more than they need. Nothing new there.

Puck looked over the new plans. "That would do for a start, and we can just keep refining and expanding as we get set up here and with the sort of off-world asteroid mining industrial complexes we've already been talking about. I'll have Rollin get the funds available - money isn't an obstacle and it shouldn't take more than a day or two. I can give you all my time around the classes I'm teaching to be available. Eric doesn't like doing admin work, but he's good at it."

He looked over at Dan, his tone and expression sincere. "Are you willing to devote the time to this? I wouldn't want to impose if you have other pressing matters to attend to."

"No." The single word carried a great deal of warning in it.

"I think you both greatly understood my intent, or I misunderstood yours." Dan's steely gaze fell hard on them both. "I brought you hear not to set up some high tech colony, but to provide a simple quiet and safe sanctuary for the two of you and..." He trailed off, not knowing wherether Sonja'd already noticed Star's expanded stomach, and sighed. "I figured you might come here with a few freinds, families perhaps, to get away, to enjoy some peace and solitude. nothing more than that."

He looked at the materials they'd brought with them, and shrugged. "It doesn't matter now though. You'll do as you wish to. Never let anyone see the charts, ensure anyone you bring here wears one of the serpent servitors. Here and back if possible.What protections on the other end can be arranged still seldom provide for that."

He looked out at the sea, and breathed deeply, and turned back to looking over the plans on the table. "I vote for a simple settlement. The platform is ecologically sound, but right now is simply not the best time to be trying to do this. I'm willing to put the time for this if that's truly how you want to play this, but I think that's simply too much, too soon. Why court misfortune there while GNS is so young? There''s enough scrutiny already that something like this project, even built in pieces, by separate contractors around the globe, it's just too many moving parts, too many if's."

He shook his head. These kids had gone too far for him. The question of How Puck came into so much money, that he could spend so much casually,It was something he'd not expected. This quickly went from a small retreat to a town... a city, then metropolis would be the end result. It wouldn't stop. A part of him was saddened seeing that fate for this world.

Sonja looked up at him, and took his hand in hers. "It will be alright Daddy."

He looked at her wondering if she had some ability to know what lay ahead, or if she'd just become that good at reading him. Praying for the latter, he nodded. "I know." He didn't, but he didn't show it. This would be an undertaking to be sure.

The Stars all stopped. Star Prime wasn't smiling any longer, but she wasn't angry ... there was an apologetic tone all through her ... through what she said

"Dan. I'm not going to let this world be spoiled. I just wanted there to be room for friends and family ... for you, and for you too Sonjia. I can't imagine saying no to a friend in need."

"I can't imagine you refusing people in danger either. I know you wouldn't. If your vote is for simple, we can hold off on the platform. There must be a dozen other worlds with nice oceans. The village scales, and only needs to be as big as it needs to be."

Star looked to Puck and said "Maybe its best if we just do the basic village here for now. I still like the platform idea, but if we take the platform work more slowly ... maybe it would be more secure? The yard will take some doing, we can start with that. Better in the medium term?"

Star didn't want to offend either Puck or Dan. They both meant the world to her. They were both family that fortune had delivered to her ... Dan like an Uncle, and Puck as a best friend ... a husband in some way that didn't really fit the word. Certainly, there was a pair bond between them, but that too only conveyed a clinical feeling ... and it was more. It was clear she was searching for some way to compromise.

Puck blinked, surprised at the sheer depth of misunderstanding between them and Dan. He squeezed Star's arm and then shook his head. The strange feel he had from Dan had finally clicked the small train of thought he'd given over to it. Perhaps that was it. Perhaps Dan simply didn't understand what 'family' meant to him and, he hoped, to Star.

"Dan, this place is important to you. That is obvious. If what we want to do violates the love you have for this world, we'll simply find another. There are many in the universe. There is no need for us to trample on your....serenity here." He gave a small lift of his shoulders. "It will take a bit longer, but not so much to be dangerous, I think."

He looked at Star, "I can spend the time I would have devoted to here looking for another world. That would also allow us to start gathering resources and refining the designs during that time. Once something suitable is found, we can proceed as we had before. For what we're doing, I think I can call in a few favors with some other cyberkinetics and security professionals. I don't know how they compare to Dan, but that will leave him free to focus on GNS." There was no rancor or anger in his tone, only a similar strength of feeling that Dan had for the planet for the home he and Star were designing.

Star's words had calmed him considerably. She understood, that was something he had to admit she was good at.

Then the little terat buttmonkey spoke. The urge to fry this little fucker in front of Sonja and Star was immense. He could feel the surge of quantum from his core, welling up, threatening to cascade into a force of nature.

Still he tamped it down, bringing the dynamo back under control as both Kyoko and Sarah had once told him. Both had seen moments where he lost his temper. He couldn't possibly have meant the insult Dan took from those words. He'd been on edge, put off by the sheer alienness of Puck, almost looking to take some offense... He wasn't willing to let everything he'd done until now come to nothing. Still the idea that he could so easily be replaced by the flock waiting in the wings of this little bastards coterie rankled him to his core.

"I'm going to choose to believe that you meant no disrespect there, to me, or to the nova who discovered this world. I did offer it to you and your family and close friends. The size of such a group was not made known to me."

"Do not go looking for another world so quickly. I accept that you can find one, easily even, but this was an early gift I give you in preparation for the one to come.. If it is truly your wish to build larger than what we've brought, I will help, as part of that gift, and of the desire I spoke of before. I only ask that you give this world time to accilmate to such an increase in population. A single nova can change the world, and i doubt that only one more will be coming here." There was a ghost of a smile there, and he nodded. "The plans drawn up are solid as it is, I don't know Star to do anything halfway."

"I have just been caught unawares by some of what's been said, what's been planned." He nodded. "No mean feat in and of itself, that."

He'd calmed down, his offer of the world still good, his aid of course was something Star had without really asking. He looked at Puck and nodded. "While I don't possess Star's gifts, I can manage more than one thing at once better than most." His words were half joke, halfe light rebuke. He was mad still ,but with Sonja and Star present, well, he'd work out his frustrations at home, or in all likelyhood, somewhere in the forests, among the ancient trees.

Star spoke, a bit more softly than usual "OK. So I suggest we just stash the village crates for now. Either way, the work of assembly can wait a bit. Now that the supplies are here, they are easy to set up."

Star turned to the other Stars, who were sort of spectating. The mood was tense, and with a glance from Star Prime they made themselves look busy - doing things that would need to be done no matter what avenue might be taken.

Puck couldn't sense Star over the link, as it wasn't up here at the moment. Inside, she was as upset as he had yet sensed her. She was trying to hold it in, and it wasn't that she was angry at anyone ... except maybe herself for being thoughtless. She just didn't know how to solve this right here and now ... and felt trapped. On the outside, only a tiny hint of those feelings showed through. That said as much as anything, because Star had developed an iron poker face ... usually a smile, but a poker face nonetheless.

Star just wanted to go home, to the Far Star in its hidden far belt orbit.

She just needed a hot bath, a piece of chocolate cake, and some pickles.

Puck caught a sense of the surge of quantum and emotion from Dan and tensed. What is his problem? Then Dan spoke and Puck inwardly rolled his eyes. Ah, so. A "present" we're not allowed to refuse, apparently. How stupid. So much for trying to be respectful of him. The man takes everything as some sort of personal insult if he's not at the center of it. Not required for it. Grow up.

The only part of any of his thoughts that passed through his expression was a slight shake ofhis head and a grin at the minor absurdity of him telling anyone else on the planet that wasn't an infant to grow up. He caught the tense lines in Star's manner and immediately forgot all about Dan, his pride issues, and whatever else was going on with Qi Meng practitioner. He stepped over to her and pulled her into a soft hug, kissing her shoulder in a silent offer of comfort and support.

"Whatever you want to do, love, that's what we'll do," he promised. "Everything else right now is just distractions."

Dan nodded. ""Very well." With several stars present, the constructs and Dan had an easy time constructing the warehouse unit to store the rest of the gear they'd brought along. They'd come back at a later date to set it up fully, At least that way it would be ready should it be needed.

The jump home was uneventful, and Sonja was dismayed that the trip was already over, but the promise of another was enough to make her smile.

One Star went with Dan, bringing him and Sonja back to Earth, Where Dan turned to her. "I have some secrets as well, Star, someithing you deserve to know and see yourself with your own eyes.."

Star Prime did need to go back to the Far Star and take a little bit of a break to pamper herself. She held Puck's hand, smiled, and he understood as she motioned in an 'open azure gate' kind of way.

Just before Dan left, she said to him "Maybe tonight we can have dinner with Kami? She'd like a sister and I don't want to keep this from her. But I think I will need your help ... I don't want to upset her somehow. I am just going to go get a nice bath, and will be ready in about two hours?"

Dan, as he was leaving with the other Star nodded his agreement and smiled back saying "OK. See you then."

On Earth with Dan, the other Star said "At dinner tonight, with the prime me ... I'll be glad to. Its going to be a big thing, telling Kami. I hope she is happy about it."

On the Far Star with Puck, Star Prime chatted with Puck for a few minutes. Admitting the meeting had not gone as well as she'd hoped overall. She suggested that perhaps it was best that Puck and Dan remain at a comfortable distance.

"You are both good people, but not everyone gets along ... and its just the way it is."

Puck, able to make the short hop back to earth from the ship with ease, gave Star a tender hug and a little kiss. All was right between them, he could sense it clearly. Star just needed a hot bath with chocolate cake and pickles. After he went, a little bit of pampering did make her feel better. Strange that, pampering was a phenomenon that would need to be quantified.

Two hours later, on the Hikari Maru ... a safe trajectory, semi random and off the ecliptic, had been chosen for gravity acceleration. It had also been chosen because finding the tiny ship in the vastness of space that was not on the plane of the solar system was a near impossible challenge even for many powerful Novas. The distances and volumes to search are just that large.

Star prime was no longer coming to Earth, but the Hikari Maru had a very nice lounge. At a standard 1G of acceleration it was a very nice environment for a dinner.

Kami, Dan, and little Sonja arrived in short order, with the other Star who had initially brought Dan back to Earth ...

Kamiko arrived first. Dressed in a navy blue business suit and skirt she looked more like she was going to a board meeting than a actual dinner. The sailor collar on the suit softened the image, but she had a serious look on her face. The Hikari Maru was supposed to be her ship... but now... Kamiko had bigger plans, and a bigger... much bigger issue to deal with. Namely what just happened with her. Not too long ago she had her Apotheosis, and now was walking around the Hikari Maru with more purpose and plans in her head she never thought of before. Something was forming in her brain and she was yet to figure out what.

Also the Bibliotheca Sacra has been proving a massive responsibility and undertaking. The Asteroid was 20 miles long in diameter. And it's configuration allowed it's primary warehouse deck to take up an area almost 6 kilometers wide by 6 kilometers long by a depth of 150 meters. The immense storage capacity of the inside was... daunting. Even with the park.

She adjusted the collar of her suit and waited for Star's invitation to move forward. A leather-bound diary under her arm, closed tight with a clasp.

"Star? I've arrived."

(he'd bring her yes. Unless it's work, he'll almost always bring her as she likes Star.)

Dan and Sonja emerged with the clone and he smiled. This would be a night for revelations. That Kamiko had changed would be obvious, Even he had to admit she was far more attractive, though it mostly manifest as a more regal beauty than she possessed before.

Still he made his way to where he knew Star was waiting, nodding to Kamiko. "Kami, I want you to promise me you'll have an open mind, and remain generally calm. This meeting has many purposes, some are ours, some are Star's. Here we're all family, alright?"

It wasn 't his authoritative tone, it was the fatherly tone he used with Sonja, had used with Kami sometimes, and was making a point now to do so more often. He wasn't talking down to her, merely expressing his desire that things go well for all of them.

"Well,.." Kamiko says, quite calmly, and seriously; "You have nothing to worry about then. I've got some things to ask as well. Once my head felt like it got put back on straight everything... seems clearer."

She adjusts her glasses. "Feels like a poker game where everyone is placing their cards on the table."

Sighing, she straightens her outfit and looks about. "So many secrets, so little time."

Everyone had arrived in the main docking lock, directly adjacent to the lounge. One heavy hatch slid back to reveal a completely set dinner service ... an elaborately prepared meal with its various courses in fancier chromed versions of the normal GNS mess-kit meal servers. Star had gone all out, and the smells of a dozen different sumptuous mains plus appetizers plus a dozen more deserts waiting in the wings ... it made the mouth unprepared for it water with anticipation.

Of course, Star could not cook this well, few Novas even could - she just knew what made for a great meal in terms of food chemistry and also knew certain take away places ... the aromas, platings, and flavours had been designed for speciifc formal dinners. Like a form of warfare to conquer the senses. This was dinner 17-AR-6, one of the most universally appealing banquet designs intended for wooing important clients during GNS negotiations.

Fine china of slightly deep design with magnetic backings, magnetized sterling ware, decorative crystal vessels like little alembics for drinking in space ... it was as luxurious a space craft that there has ever been in human history. Even though the gravity was 'on' and normal dinner service would work ... it all looked futuristic, which was part of the effect.

Starseed prime, clearly showing her pregnancy, stood in the soft hues of candle light ... remarkable in that the candles in their lantern spheres were safe for space ... and said "Welcome everyone! I hope you are all hungry!"

"Come in, come in ..." She moved forward and gave Sonja a little hug. Then one for Dan and another for Kami.

It was clear that Star was feeling very happy ... rare for her to show this much joy, as her usual demeanor was more reserved.

Dan and Sonja both smiled, returning the warm embraces, and he nodded. "You didn't need to go to this kind of trouble you know. That said thanks."

He took a seat with Sonja at his right hand between him and Star, allowing the other at Star's right to be for Kami. He liked this side of her, and knew Kami was observant enough to have gleaned the truth...

Kamiko adjusted her glasses. "Either you've swallowed a beachball or you're carrying cargo, aren't you. Congratulations, Star-chan!"

Kamiko returns the hug, careful to keep some clearance for Star's tummy. "And this is brilliant. You've been reading those guides on setting dinner arrangements for heads of state I see."

She adjusts her suit. "Outstanding work."

Kamiko's stature was... measured. Careful to show her best. Something not seen in Kamiko. Everything seemed... right, about her. From her choice of clothes and color, her hairdo, even her glasses. Everything was carefully cultivated. The thing is, once Star got a look she saw a cute, happy 15 year old girl who had something on her mind. But something not weighing on her, more like... she was sure of something and wanted to let people know.

"I see you have been treating the Hikari Maru very well." She runs her hand along a bulkhead, checking for dust with her gloved hands. "How do you find the time?"

To Dan Star replied with a grin "Well if we don't test these banquet plans, it wouldn't be scientific now would it?" ... and to Sonja she said "And I haven't forgotten how good a job you did as my sensor operator. After the meal, I would like to hear what you think of every dish. For science."

"Kami-chan, you look very well. Yes, the ship is in good order... though she is due for a bit of a refit soon. She was the first hull I put together, and there are a few hundred things I have learned since then, so a couple of weeks of complete rebuild will make her ship-shape. I am doing the same to the Yamato, since she also has to catch up to the Far Star. Though the Hikari Maru will be the most generally capable ship in the fleet, since the other two are specialized ..."

"... and I am. I am going to be a mother. It was a bit of a surprise, but my little one is a blessing. He, I think he is a him, really changed my personal perspective. Thinking about the future, it makes me happy - hopeful that we will all carry on. But enough of standing around ... lets sit, eat, drink, enjoy!"

Kamiko smiles. "At least you are happy with your life so far. That is always a good thing."

"It's not an issue what happens to this ship." She says sitting down. "She's your ship. It's what was destined."

She straightens her blazer with a sharp tug. The memory of her failures that caused her not to be captain on her maiden voyage starts to well up at the surface again.

"I... I don't think with my responsibilities with Coraline, my own ambitions, and my plans run parallel with the goals of GNS."

"I've been entirely too wreckless in my choices. I need some discipline."

She looks down at the table. "I'm considering joining Nippontai. As such, I have to resign from GNS. Effective at the end of the month."

As they sat, Star said to Kami "Well you will always be an honorary officer. I think Nippontai is a fine choice, and we will still be able to work together. GNS has three contracts with them already ... and they are going to work with us in long term mining development. With Mistsubishi having gotten so much government funding for their operations out here Nippontai has been set on overwatch with the rest of the JDF. The government wants to protect its citizens and investments after all."

"Have you thought of a cool codename yet?" Star said excitedly ... Star was trying her best to be supportive of Kamiko. Whatever made Kami happy was all right with Star, and Kami could feel that sentiment come through.

Star began handing around the serving dishes, and gestured everyone to start with a 'dig in, dig in' motion.

"Heiwa. It means Peace in English. Nippontai doesn't have a diplomatic corps just yet and their S&R efforts are just what I wanted to get involved with. That and perhaps I can start getting training to be stronger than I am now."

She adjusts her glasses. "Something happened on the Bibliotheca Sacra on July 7th... something that... changed a lot of things for me. I can't really yet put into words what happened, but Dan and Mary were witnesses. As well as Sonja."

I think a third-person perspective is in order.

"We already have several allies within Nippontai as things stand as well. Mariko is of course a goofd friend of mine. Your Adoptive mother, though on Sabattical is a member in good standing as well. It will do you some good to join them."

Dan and Sonja both fixed their plates, true to form Sonja getting some of everything...

He looked to Kami and then to star. "I belive the term used is "Apothesis." Though it's largely hidden from my senses, In that time I've seen her do things far beyond what she'd been able to do before."

"I like it, Heiwa. Its also good to carry on a family tradition, and a national tradition too. Japanese culture is unqiue in many ways, and fits very well with Novas. Sometimes I think it has been pre-engineered somehow. Have been doing some studies on Japanese archaeology, ancient Chinese population trends, the ancestral migration, geological quantum traces, pre-N Day eruption scenarios ... but tonight is not the night to go on about my ancient Nova theories. The point is, I think it is a wonderful direction Kami. It blends tradition with a progressive edge in a very interesting way."

After a few bites of the delightful curry chicken, a very mild dish with some well tuned chili heat and sweetness, Star asked "Oh, something happened?"

"Another revelation among other things was the final part of the catalyst that induced it." He smiled and looked to Kami. "For her entire life, it was known that Kamiko was the daughter of Michael Alistaire and Kyoko Aino, a pair of DV elites. That's only half right. Certain events transpired, and that lead to a revelation that was quite unexpected." He nodded. "Michael wasn't her father. I am."

He liked it, but he was still getting used to it, it was easy to tell. "I told you there were big things to be revealed, by everyone."

Kamiko was surprised that Star wasn't told what else happened.

"You have heard of the phenomenon known as 'Apotheosis', correct, Star?"

She adjusts her outfit. "I... know of it first hand. Because it happened to me. Now only did I find out Dan was my father, I found myself a bit more."

She sighs. "I'm just glad nothing extreme occurred during the process."

"Other than the scorch mark on the library floor and the triggered halon fire suppressors, yes without incident."

She actually giggles. Breaking the seriousness of the moment. "It's alright though, everyone's fine."

Star nodded, she was very familiar with Apotheosis - with her ongoing research into the subject perhaps more so than any researcher she could think of save some in the Teragen who might have been studying it, time travelers who had acquired the knowledge from others, or the like. Now was not the time to go into her upcoming experiments to trigger her own apotheosis. Star was, however, very interested to hear of Kami's.

"I have done some reading on the matter, and congratulations! IT would be great if I could sit with you sometime soon and hear all about the details of the experience. Medical interest."

"Have you been testing your new self? Have you discovered any new powers? If you have new powers, how did you learn of them?"

It was a happy day for Kami-chan. "If I would have known, I'd have had something poetic written on the cake!"

Kamiko sets her blank diary down on the table, written on the leather-bound cover in gold leaf was "The Journal of Impossible Things".

"Star, there is one thing I know sitting in the back of my mind. Ever thought you could see other possibilities, know what shouldn't be possible yet could be? Ever since my Apotheosis I've been compelled to write what is in my head into this journal I made. Personally. My mother had one like this. But she only got 5 entries in before her death. They seem almost first hand accounts of other realities, not too far from our own."

"I just want to share this journey when I begin. If that is what is to be."

"I hate being alone. I'm glad I have Dad, and Mayashi has been a wonderful friend... but things are dangerous for her if I show her the station. It is in space, after all. Accidents can happen."

"I have to be honest Star, I don't know how you can take being in space... so alone... And no offense Dad, but you're just busy with Sonja or your work. Mary... she's too lazy. I swear to god if she wasn't a Nova she'd weigh 400 pounds from being sedentary."

She sighs. "Sorry... Maybe I'm just isolating myself more and more. Seeing what is to come."

Dan chuckled. "Kamiko you know I'll always make time for you. You're my daughter just like Sonja, and in many ways we have much lost time to cover."

"We have been over the issue with Mayashi and the station. Our minds are reasonably shielded. Hers is not. Nor are her movements there occluded in any way. Until we can change both of those things, I'd prefer you not bring her to the station. Still, it is your choice."

"The area around the Bibliotheca as of my last visit has no eavesdropping going on. The last thing on most minds is what is going on in the Kuiper Belt of all places."

She adjusts herself. "But Mayashi could be used as a Trojan Horse."

"If her life was in danger though, I would take her there without hesitation to protect her. Part and parcel to my taking the Congo Den there if they need to be evacuated."

"We're already vetted her for that trip to New Hope... and she lives a pretty isolated life herself. Bit of an Otaku really. Might be one of those calculated risks I have to assess."

She sighs. "I'll have to make sure Cora and Marina know they are welcome on-board though. In my own way."

"And telepathic probes, at least on the scale of a solar system, can be considered independent of a range factor. Though very weak telepaths might not reach out to the station such is not the case with anyone experienced. The other thing is that the volumetric relationship of space to searching is moot, as telepaths can scan for minds."

"If you wanted her to visit ... I can arrange temporary shielding for Mayashi ... for a short visit. Then you just have to be sure that anything she sees isn't sensitive. Including Star patterns, which a telepath could access to locate the station."

"I will consider it. I got many other things clicking."

"Once I get into Nippontai anyways I might be locked down more in free time. Perhaps... I should just get some friends together and have one big send-off planetside before I put the white and red on."

She adjusts herself in her seat, and she's actually smiling. "In fact with disaster response efforts the GNS and Nippontai will probably be working together... so I do not think that we will not see each other much."

Archived