Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] The truth of the matter is... [FIN]

The Mariner

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Early July

6:00pm

Stormy

Mary had been getting herself organized at her loft in Uptown, Minneapolis. Her date for the evening, Dan Hawkins was waiting downstairs. He had just gotten done with training with a student back at his Dojo, and was taking a shower. Mary was looking over her selection and decides on wearing some jeans, a white t-shirt, and her favorite Chuck Taylors. She grabs a sailor collared jacket and slips it on. A relic from her first days as the good Ensign.

She sees the storms have started rolling in, so she grabs a couple of old DVNS issue rain ponchos... they were big, fit well, and kept the wearer effectively dry. Of course they could be used as a tent in a pinch but that was besides the point. She wasn't a fan of the digital urban camoflauge pattern, but it would have to do with the coming thunderstorms.

She checks her weather feed from the national weather service. It didn't look like any warnings would happen off these particular storms since they were beefy earlier in the day, but with the humidity at a high and the temperature in the 90s, it could have a resurgence.

She decides to take her pager with her just in case she's called in for disaster relief.

She walks down to the lower level of the loft, ponchos draped over her shoulder.

"Dan! Looks like Mother Nature is putting on a late fireworks show! Always storms around Convergence time..."

"Would have got you a registration but... you don't look like the geeky type. Anyways, I got some raingear, typical standard issue DVNS surplus ponchos. Also I'm on call... so if there are any disasters I might get called up. You're welcome to assist as always."

Having not expected this, Dan had jeans, a white t-shirt and blue denim overshirt to go with the black leather boots he always wore. He finished his shower and dressed, wondering what had come over Mary. He smiled. "I love the storms, you know that."

"If we need to go help out then so be it, I'm at your call tonight."

He smiled taking a poncho.. "We could go to the convergence thing if you want I'm sure I can get a ticket somehow."

He nodded. "What do you have planned."

"Convergence is a Convention, bit nerdy. Since they expanded it to 5 days it's gotten far bigger than I like."

She smiles. "I know you love the storms... I never liked them. All the lightning seems to interfere with my quantum aura. But that is beside the point... it does sort of remind me of that mission in southeast asia... those jungles were real... wet."

She puts her poncho on. "I doubt our destination would want wet seating. We're going to head to a all-you-can-eat italian restaurant a few blocks down on Lake Street and Dupont Avenue. We can chat during the walk. It's about 6 blocks away."

Mary's poncho was reversible with a orange side that had no camoflauge pattern. The one advantage to having S&R training is they give you the not so mil-spec stuff from time to time. She grabs her prep backpack for call-up emergencies, and opens the door as the rain starts to fall. "A classic monsoon. Excellent."

"Nice evening for a walk!" She says with a almost girlish glee.

"They were many things, wet certainly was one of them."

"All you can eat? you must not like the owner, bringing us both."

He donned his coat and followed her out smiling. "Well I admit, the weather's to my liking, and the company is even more so, so yes, a very nice evening."

He let her close the door and matched her pace as they set out.

Ensign stayed close to Dan. Her hearing wasn't the greatest, it never really healed from the incident that made her a Nova in the first place.

"You know... I and Kami had a talk since we last met. About her problem. I will actually spare you my catching her and the manner in which I cought her. But it was on the station and I was not pleased in the slightest."

"So... I told her before ever setting foot on the station again she is to meditate to clear her mind and to get back on track with her mental focus techniques. Also I have ordered her to head to the Congo to see if she can get a date with Shaman... She's easy to convince when I have access to a fusion reactor and someone's collection."

The two stop at a red light. "I also gave her a project in collecting small ice boulders near the station and moving them to the station itself for conversion to water. One of the empty warehouses, number 4 if I checked, I thought hey... it was 3km wide and long by 75 meters tall... It was going to be configured for use as a lake anyways under Kyoko's watch.. so I thought I could make a artificial lake out of that space. So she is. As punishment."

"It'll be about twenty-five feet deep when complete... I think she's got it just about there. Perhaps after dinner I can call her up to have her show you. If I had a way to create a wind, you could sail on it."

The light turns green again as the continue on. "But I digress. While I continue training Star, you can talk with Kamiko. I have seen... a lot of progress despite the slip up."

"Her sexual quirks are known to me, they aren't new."

"Giving her a pool is a good idea, it will help her excercise up there. I'll work with omoikane to handle the load on the gravity drives."

He shook his head. "Enough about the girls. For tonight i get the feeling you'd rather talk about something else." He was always blunt.

He smiled as lightning stroked across the sky, and she could see he was in his element.

Being Mary was more comfortable around magnetism than electricity, the lightning made her jump. "Right..."

"I'd been thinking... we've been beating around the bush with things. I was so busy with the Romanian case I lost track of what was important."

"Oh who am I kiddding, I've been avoiding it for god... since..."

Another rumble of thunder is heard. "Let's just say it's been my fault I've not had the guts to even do something like this between the two of us."

"I was feeling like I was walking over your wife's grave... I don't know if that was an accurate assessment or just my guilt of not being there being a factor. I've meditated on this for quite a bit."

Dan looked at her, knowing he'd wondered why she'd not pursued this earlier. Of course there was her time as his student but even years after that, she still hadn't. Of course he'd met Sarah had sonja and retired, but for three years now he'd raised Sonja alone, with infrequent help from others.

Still mary was among those who'd always been available to him, well almost,

"She's been gone three years. I've grieved, Sonja's greived. Miko and I see each other socially,but we're simply very good friends.." That was a pain that annoyed him. They'd been getting serious. While quite dutiful and traditional, she'd virtually sought him out one night, The evening one to remember for sure for both of them, and then the relationship cooled quickly. He'd wondered briefly if it was his performance, but Things were busy for her in particular regarding nippontai, and She had less and less time. Still they'd continued meeting infrequently for dinner and a quiet walk, but it was more that they were friends, nothing more, or less.

"You know if you're scared of the weather we can go back to your house, watch the storm there, while I cook us something."

He wasn't so much hanging the subject, but diverting things in case she got cold feet.

He smiled. "I want you to be happy Mary, I always have."

"Dan... I've walked though the worst firefights imaginable. Just my electromagnetic senses get slightly jangled with every crack of thunder. I'm like one of those strange electric rats in one of those goofy arsed japanese cartoons."

She smiles, playfully tapping Dan in the shoulder with a fist. "I am Happy, Dan. For the first time in a while, in the rain with the storm around us I'm happy. Isn't that how it always is, Dan?"

"We ride conflict like a leaf on the wind. The Sifu said that himself. We are happiest in the storm because that is where we do the most good."

She nods as she passes her favorite Deli. The owner waves to her as she walks past and she waves back. He was a old friend from High School who inherited the business from his late uncle.

"I think now I have to look for my happy place and right now it's with you. You're... the missing factor in all this."

"Well when we're together usually there's been bullets, kunai, and explosives flying all around, "I've nver been missing Mary, I've always been right here when you need me. I always will be Mary, you know that."

He looked over at her. "This is about more than just a night out between old friends isn't it Mary?"

He knew the answer, but talking things through was how she dealt with things. He took her hand in his silently, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"No... not in the slightest, Dan."

"I've been... acting alone and that isn't right. I've not been true to myself. I thought you taught me better."

"I've been in love with you since the first day I saw you. Yes... as my DI at DeVries."

A crack of thunder fills the sky. "Ever since... I've never had the guts to say it. I've been... lying to myself, Dan. It's time to come clean."

She stops on another corner a block away from their destination. She grabs him, and in a suprise move kisses him forcefully. With their hoods up it felt like they were completely in a shelter with only their faces visible to each other. A slight electrical glow was present in her eyes. She had been changing her polarity to prevent herself being hit by lightning.

She steps back, the light from the streetlights and headlights of passing cars glinting off of the wet, waterproofed nylon and synthetic eufiber of her poncho. "How is that for an answer?"

Dan returned the kiss although he was surprised. when she broke away, her admission everything played in his mind,and he nodded. "Honestly mary.." He smiled pulling her back ho him. "I'm wondering why you stopped."

"I knew you had feelings for me though after training I figured you'd move on. Especially after I gave you those scars." He shook his head. But I knew at the service with Sarah, you hadn't." He nodded. "I'm surpised it took this long, but that said I'm happy you came clean."

"It makes this easier."

With that he reached out and pulled her in kissing her every bit as forcefully as she'd kissed him.

Mmph

Her eyes go wide like a schoolgirl in shock, but then she embraces him. The arms of her jacket that were under the protection of the poncho are exposed to the elements, but she doesnt care. The real situation is currently tightly docked on her lips. They stand there at the corner, what few people that were still out milling around looking at the two, then the crowd scatters when the sound of breaking glass is heard.

Dan and Mary figure out why as a golf-ball sized hailstone hits the window of a car.

"Oh no... Dan... RUN!"

More hailstones start falling as Mary grabs Dan's hand and they run into the Italian Buffet. They are hit by a couple, and while it stings, that's all it does.

Mary pants hard in the foyer as the hailstorm reaches it's climax. "That's... not good."

She pulls out her OpNet pad, which she keeps in a foam case. Usually to protect it from becoming irretrevable if dropped in a body of water since it would float... but it also served as armor against the hail.

"Maybe I should have borrowed a couple of Kamiko's suits... wouldn't have felt that hail as much... ow... just ow."

She pulls up the radar and the brilliant magentas and reds tell the tale. "Okay... hopefully this storm is all bark and that's the worst of the bite... Dammit I was loving that kiss too."

She grabs dan again after pulling her hood down, she actually got a cut on her forehead and she sees it in the mirror. "Well... they never said Dates are easy, right?"

Mary laughs a little. rolling with the situation rather than dwelling on it, pulling out a handkershief before the cut turns into a crimson mask. Even a shallow, minor cut on the forehead could bleed like a slaughterhouse and she doesn't want to scare the establishment. She knows it should staunch in mere moments with her nova-grade healing, but still, this is a date not a XWF match. "I'm so hardcore."

The hail annoyed him, he was also enjoying the kiss. He waited for her wound to seal and nodded. "It is a date, and the night is still young. Now, let's find a booth and enjoy each other's company while seeing how far all you can eat really goes."

He smiled. "After that, providing nothing goes wrong, well we can play it by ear."

"Oh that's why I love you, Dan... unflappable."

She pulls her handkerchief from her head and it looks like the blood stopped.

"Once we find a table here it sort of operates like a Chinese Buffet. You just tell the waiter what you're gonna drink, and they get that while you get your meal. And don't worry, I'm paying for all of it so go hog wild. They love Nova Customers too because they tip real good..."

She smiles. "I'm attacking the Lasanga personally... Although I'm willing to share that. It's onna look like Epic Meal Time up in here after we're through!"

She walks up to the waiter. "Party of Two."

He nods and leads Dan and Mary where they will be sitting.

"What would you like to drink tonight, Ensign?"

"Mountain Dew for now..." She shows her ID. "Perhaps latter a Summit would be nice... I'll let you know when I'm ready for that."

"Dan, your passport will count for ID. Here you have to be 21 to drink... no exceptions. Even Novas."

"I'm 53."

He nodded, pulling out a an old yet not expired driver liscence, and presented it. "Barq's to start, we'll see after that." Once the waiter left, they both got up to fix plates. He got some lasagna, but stocked up on the spaghetti and Chicken alfredo. Returning to the table, any other couple might have sat across from each other, but after letting her sit first, he sat next to her. "Why be apart, we're such close acquaintances after all."

Mary grabbed as much of the lasagna she could. Stacking alfredo on top was a cheeky bonus, making sure she got alot of the sauce in the process.

"Oh of course, Dear."

She leans on him for a moment before starting to dig in. After setting her tablet up on a built in leg to observe the radar on free moments as she ate.

"Now where were we... yes... When did you first have... feelings towards me... I mean... I'm sure they existed. well before now like mine."

"You impressed me when you stood up to me. When I told you you were too green, too kind, and yet you still felt your place was with us. I let you in then."

"I watched as you movefrom man to woman and back and forth, never turning to me. Eventually I realized it wouldn't be me. That made teaching you easier. I saw it as Teacher and student a sacred trust. Still, I hoped one day you might come to me. Then I met and fell for Sarah. You were jealous I saw it. So did she, but still she liked you. Then after she died, you kept me at a distance. I had begun to wonder if I'd been wrong."

"After Sarah died... I felt coming to you right away would have been the worst thing I possibly could have done. I was still getting over losking Kyoko and Allistair. For a while my interests lead me to Doryoku, but she was just as crushed. There are times I think she's regressed to being a teenager in mindset just to keep her hopes alive... She got better but then... I needed to be there for her to keep her sane. Long helped but..."

"Then I got lost in my work. Then there was the Aberrants. Corbin needed me. Not in the way you think."

"They needed someone who could ferret out anything. A bloodhound. They got the daughter of fracking Sherlock Holmes."

"Once I was done you got that file. Then... I focussed on the good fight. Hiring out to law enforcement agencies on an independent basis to solve "unsolvable" crimes. But eventually I always come back here..."

"Then one day I started trailing you after I got a chirp from Sophia herself. Seems an old friend has been ratling some cages with Coraline and here we are."

"Then I saw Kamiko and I saw something in her that wasn't what I expected. And her allies."

"Dan..." She leans foreward. "...I was there on Mars. I read her behavior and even her own electromagnetic makeup. Both meetings."

"She is definately Kyoko's daughter, but... I'm not so sure about Cade's part of the deal. Her birth defects the ones to be expected match Kyoko's makeup, right down to the hangup. But the blonde hair and golden eyes with the strange iris formation..."

She slurps down some alfredo. "And her temperment. She's not the calm operator Cade was, nor as physically adept."

"Think I should start going through the database at the Bibliotheca Sacra?"

"Son of a..."

"I gave you only a 46.7 percent probability you were her father... I must be either rusty or out of practice with all the simple cases."

"In a way... congratulations... Kamiko needs a father figure in her life. Once she knows who her family is she'll..."

Mary sighs. "Dammit Kyoko is cursing my name in her urn. I'm lying a little. Kyoko told me. Her suspicions."

"Cade was always firing blanks. I know this as gospel."

She sits back whispering a apology to Kyoko. "Seems Chi was more insightful than I... thing is, if given time Kamiko would have figured it as well."

She eats more of her food. "If it comforts, the others were Einherjar and Totentanz as potential fathers making up the other percentages. But since Kyoko could control her fertility like a banker... the only person that was fitting the profile was you. Based on the timing of Kamiko's birth. If cade managed to blow up the deathstar Kamiko would have been two weeks Premature. Your last mission with Kyoko before her maternity leave matched up perfectly."

"God I should be wearing the glasses in the family, not Kamiko."

She laughs. "Hey... this is great. She gets a sister out of the deal, and..." She leans on Dan's shoulder. "Maybe a mother."

"That's the only reason he didn't have an army of kids.much as he slept around. He didn't know what monogamy was."

He sighed. "It was a lapse, something I don't think she meant to happen. I certainly didn't know I was fertile. Still I don't regret it. What I regret is not knowing about it. I could have raised her more Mary, I could have done more."

He smiled. "She does get Sonja that's true."

He looked at her. "As for a mother we'll see. You and I have only just begun after all."

"Yes... but... I'm done wandering. I need more permanence in my exiting life. The beauty of my orientation... lots more options. But... you are the best."

She eats a little more as the storm outside begins to subside. "Dan... I've been such a fool. I hope since I've said that just now, you'll forgive that."

"Now... I'ma hungry little Honey Badger."

She smiles as she eats. She's finally, completely disarmed now.

"Learning my pistol style from old Two-Hands herself. The greatest gunslinger to have ever stomped this mudball. God rest her soul."

"She was a bit nihlistic for my standards, but one hell of a teacher. And just as good a soldier."

"During the southeast asia mission she took me on as support, we paradropped into the jungle. To lower our quantum profile because there were three independent contractor Elites waiting for us. Einherjar was with us and we were the best damn Sannin style team you could ask for. That was until a lucky shot floored me. If it wasn't for the armor I was issued I'd probably be talking to you from Valhalla. That was when I realized Two-Hands and Ein were standing back to back and the smile on her face told me she had found her perfect battleground. I tried to shout to warn her about the sniper, but instead I pulled my pistol out of instinct. She got distracted my my move and crossed right into the sniper's crosshairs."

"Then I gave the tyrant his due."

"Ein took care of his work while I rushed over to deal with Two-Hand's wound... all I could do was make sure she didn't suffer..."

"She died in my arms and I didn't cry... I was proud. She said with the last breath she could draw "You'll be better than me... because you know when to be better than god." and then... that was it."

She leans foreward. "I would never take back that moment... We all were happy. Ein got his justice for stopping a drug smuggling operation sending Soma to the Congo, Two-Hands got her perfect battleground and I... I got to see it all. Like she wanted."

"She was an evil bitch if you crossed her, I remember that much., She shot one of Cade's toes off for flirting with her too hard. Still I remember seeing her on the range one day, plying trick shots with the rest of us. I was the only one she didn't rake over the coals. I used my knives, no guns."

He smiled. "She was a hell of a woman. You've inherited that from her too." He nodded. "Though you've got something she lost long ago, hope. She fought so long, it was all she had. I knew you weren't meant for that."

"I'm glad to be right."

"The King of Blades... The Grim Reaper... God I remember the names they gave you."

She smiles. "She was harshest on me because I think she knew I would be the one that lived. the one that knew when to keep the dragons in their cave."

"Thing is when she wasn't training me she opened up to me more than I've seen her with anyone else. Want to know the greatest piece of advice she gave me was?"

"Never leave Dan Hawkins' side. You do... and you're a dead woman. Either in spirit, or in literal terms. Dan needs his other half and I think you're it."

"I laughed at the time. I said she was smoking something. Then she made me run laps."

"Heh... I can see where you got a little of your method."

"Totentanz was the reaper he always was. Arogant bastard, but rightfully so nearly all the time."

"How many did you run for that I wonder."

"For a lesbian Elite like her, especially one who seemed to well and truly hate those of us with different plumbing, I'll take it as high praise. She was always a better shot than I was."

He nodded. "Still looking at us right now." He reached up with a napkint wipe some cheese sauce from the corner of her mouth and smiled. "I'm glad she set you on this path."

"50 Kilometers, top speed, I slow down she shoots me. I don't care how tough you are, you still feel a .45."

She takes her garlic bread and soaks up some of the sauce. "Got shot three times that run. Hurt like hell. At least she didn't shoot the knees."

She giggles as she finishes her first plate. "I think you like Public Defenders. I think you like the uniform... I mean be honest I look hot in the promotional photos for the city."

"You love the superheroines, don't deny it. Why you think you had that fling with old Professor Pinky herself?"

She laughs. "Man that fight you and Long had afterward was epic. And you guys laughed for an hour afterward. I swear in Valhalla we're gonna wreck the joint."

"Too bad Kyoko won't be there. She's probably in paradise with Cade. Lucky stiff."

She smirks. "Then again... I don't intend on seeing what happened to them. I plan on welcoming the next universe... Happy Birthday!"

Giggling she finishes her last piece of garlic bread.

"Oh yeah... That was good stuff. Gonna grab some beer now... Waiter! A Summit for me, please!" The waiter nods and heads to the fridge near the main register.

"Man if I eat any more I'm going to look like I'm wearing one of Kamiko's suits..." She laughs. "...But I digress... Thanks for coming this evening."

"Yeah... I... You know... if you ever need to crash... I mean... since things are about to become a little more in question for Miss Shakespeare, you always got a place at my loft. I have a extra futon there you can use to sleep on until I get a proper bed. When you get used to cots and tent-beds you get used to spartan surroundings. Unless space stations are your thing."

"You're always welcome on my deck, Marine." She says that last sentence with still a little sneer. If there is one thing she hates, it's Marines. Although Dan's shed that for the uniform of an elite... and a good one.

"As for Kamiko... point of curiosity... does she still sleep on that silly airbed of hers? Why is it her room only has books and that? you know what, I'm getting her a proper bed for the station. I can't have her sleeping on the floor all the time."

"Doesn't seem humane."

"She likes it. Let's her indulge on the sliy."

He smiled. "I'm still a marine, just a retired one." Her navy brat heritage was showing and he teased her, kissing her nose quickly before finishing off his meal.

"You know you don't have to stay alone ther either. You're welcome with Sonja and I."

"Well, I can warp... And I own my loft lock-stock-and barrel so I can return any time. Alright... it's settled. We'll trade keys and consider my place yours and yours mine."

She smiles. "Once Kamiko gets done with her punishment and her assignment though, I'm going to enjoy the fruits of her labor."

"Care to join? Teaching Star shouldn't be too much of an issue, so once she shows at my firing range, I can have her open a portal for you to Kamiko's station."

"Omoikane will regard you warmly. She still has it in for me a bit... trying to patch that up since she and I will have to work together sooner or later."

"That, and I want to see if I can get a sailboat on that lake."

"I digress... Still hungry? Otherwise we should get our favorite beverages and figure out what we want to do next."

She cracks open her Summit and has a slow chug. "Good old Minnesota brew. Hehe."

Mary grips the table. This was the first time she's known fear to grab her in Dan's presence. This fear drove her out of the Navy, was always in the back of the mind as a PD, and now... right at her greatest moment of trumph yet...

"Yah... I... I need all the help I can get. I've... not had a chance to talk to a therapist about it and if such a thing got into the news... well... there goes my career. Again."

"You know why the Navy was eager to discharge me right? They thought my phobia was related to PTSD from the accident that triggered my eruption. They didn't like having a unstable nova on their carrier and at some point some of the brass decided "hey... let's cut her off... DeVries can deal with the sloppy seconds" and here we are."

"I had been thinking of starting the track of becoming an officer... this damn nightmare keeps cropping up."

"In all honesty, my logical side said no, but my emotional side... the side that still... that still feels I'm walking over her grave says yes."

She sighs.

"Something I will have to sort out. I feel guilty that I couldn't have done anything to save her. I felt so useless that..."

Mary looks down at her feet, her shoes still soaked from the rain. "How many more will slip through our fingers before the count is too many..." She whispers.

Archived