Aberrant: Infinite Earth - What's the rule on having Background 6?

The Traveler

Was wondering about this, in case this ever comes about.

I propose this:

1: The Nova in question needs to have a Quantum of 6 or higher, and no background can go higher than 6.

2: If you do not meet requirement #1, if you have the appropriate Abilities, Attributes, and Mega Attributes, you could justify a 6.

3: You can only have 1 background at 6. This is your "Signature Background".

4: Since this is a Trans-Universal campaign, your character must have a way to access their background across universes if the background (like Resources for instance) is linked to one universe. If not the background is USELESS.

If anyone has anything more to add, feel free to jump in.

Unless otherwise stated, I'll operate under the assumption that you need 12xp to go to 6 on a background.

Except where it doesn't work for the story, one thing I do for backgrounds is that you can buy a background like resources, and although you might not have them at that specific moment you can easily get them. Or in this case you might not be carrying them from universe to universe.

In other words, if you have 6 resources, you might not have billions of dollars in gold bullion in your bank account, but it could be that your character has some special means of getting resources that make it so trivially easy to acquire them that you are considered to have those resources available even though you don't have them in the bank. For example, Elsepth has molecular authority, molecular manipulation, and other abilities such that if she needs gold she can literally pull it out of the ground, or make buckets full of perfect diamonds over 100 carats.

This obviously doesn't work for every background, such as node, or attunement, but it can apply to things like Contacts, Allies, Resources, Influence.

Archived