Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Padawan Kamiko [FIN]

Sailor OOC

"That old Pirate, I figured he'd use that phrase around you."

He looked at Star and nodded. "My own medical training is more western, mostly in the form of combat medic and surgeon. Though I do know something of what you're talking about." His guard was up now which was somewhat curious, it had been up before, but not like this.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What sort of medical training, Dan? Was it like the emergency responder stuff I learned with the Japan Coast Guard and Nippontai a couple years back?"

Now she was curious. could he know a couple things? Anything to learn how to help save others.

Kamiko listens to Star and Dan converse while walking over to where Sonja was. She sits down in a kneeling stance, on both her knees. She pats the floor next to her. "Sonja... something I think that is just as good as asking questions is observing. Deduction is a fine thing to learn. It helps you understand your situation better."

She smiles. "You seem to have a head on your shoulders, I'd like to show you how to use it more efficiently." Kamiko giggles. "Just don't get too good, because then you start creeping people out how you figured something about them."

"First thing to do, is simply listen... Let's watch your Dad and Star."

"The military the Marines in particular teach a style of martial arts that primarily focuses on striking hard, and in the way I was trained, killing your opponent quickly with minimal effort. For the last twenty six years, the program used has added a much greater flexibility, allowing Marines or soldiers trained in the Marine style to adapt to the battlefield's needs."

"As a soldier's style, built for today's battlefields, it is perfectly suited, as beyond the physical training, marines are trained to work as a team, and the system fosters teamwork, as marines constantly train each other, refining the style, adapting to new scenarios."

"I personally was trained originally in the old Style, I was a major by the time the new style came around in 2001. I was the first Major to retest to their proficiency level in the new style, though I admit I was no longer a Marine at the time, and a nova. I did my best to tackle it as I would have before, since the man who trained me was a baseline. My methods of training differ from many, in that in most subjects I administer a test of some sort to discover where the abilities of the student are, and where I should begin. It is a slower method, Something my previous employer took some issue with, but results generally proved to more than justify it."

"Depending on the subject, and their views on it, sometimes a student must be disabused of their own notions of how things should and will be. My previous teacher taught me perhaps one of the best ways. Do not silence an inquisitive mind, and do not let all you teach be simple fact and theory. Real application of knowledge becomes experience, Experience becomes wisdom with time."

He smiled. "That, and if something doesn't work the first way you do it, persevere and do it again, though don't do it the same way."

"An adaptive combat style built to adapt to the current conditions expected on the battlefield. Useful to a soldier, no doubt."

She stands. "Also you avoid the definition of insanity be repeating something expecting the result to be different. I would say that the American military has some solid combat techniques and training methods. Do they share them with some of their allies, like the ones in NATO or the Japanese or Koreans?"

"Hmm... what do I need, Dan?"

Kamiko has always operated under the assumption that it was better to ask what one's flaws were than assume you know them yourself.

"The Israeli and JSDF do some cross-training yes, though it's far less common now than it's been in the past. The South Korean army certainly has its own training program, though they are extensively trained by our own garrison there as well. it helps keep everyone on the same page."

He looks to Kamiko. "What you need most is real experience. You treat training as a game. You're serious, and you train hard, but you've never had to really use what you've learned. That's why I can still trick you and goad you into making mistakes."

He smiled. "Though you've gotten alot better in the last five years."

"Then... I must get myself up to the task. If I can't get us out of a situation by helping in a common defense, what good am I other than a casualty."

One curse she's had is reading tactical journals and treatises. Sun Tsu, Rommel, Patton, Admiral Nelson, some of the luminaries of war... Kamiko isn't even a candle.

"What if Star's life depended on me? Or Sonja?" She says with a sigh. "Sorry... just to me it feels anathema to my nature to actually seek combat now to become stronger."

"Isn't Knowledge power, Dan... If I know I won't fold when it matters, that's strength I've gained."

She stands firm. "I don't want to fail anyone here, Dan. Not like I have been lately."

"S... sorry... I shouldn't dwell on what I cannot change..." She seems to lose her wind.

After an awkward moment. "So... Star... it's obvious what I need... Perhaps the time for observation has passed?"

"Yes, you are right Kami-chan. The time for observation is over ... though I am not sure what you refer to otherwise. I thank you for the excellent breakfast, interesting demonstration, and pleasant conversation." says as she stands ...

"I must depart, but I will consider the lessons, and see you all soon." Star says, bowing to properly take her leave of the dojo but pausing to let her hosts have the last word.

Kamiko looked dissapointed, but remembered sometimes Star couldn't stay for very long because of her maintaining her clones.

"We really should try to meet when you can have more undivided energy." Kamiko says, bowing. "Thank you for coming this morning."

Kamiko walks over to where some of the cleaning supplies are, and starts organizing the process of cleaning the Dojo floor. Distracting herself from the dissapointment of Starseed leave.

As she prepares the mop, she pauses for a moment to control her still frazzled emotion and considers the events of the day as they happened. Trying to rationalize or glean new kernels of truth of what she had experienced Today in this short session.

"Dan... I am going to clean up the dojo floor. You're... welcome to stay, of course, since you are my guardian for the time being. Sometimes it gets lonely here. Enough for me to warp over to the congo to see how things are going, or just walk about Tokyo..."

Star smiles her typical warm smile "I promise I'll be in touch. We still have the GNS meeting next week too ... the planning meeting for convoys, search and rescue, all that. Times are flexible, Tuesday through Friday, about three hours. Regular operations are pretty slow right now ... people are using gates though. Just had a Tokyo University team funded by Mitsubishi run six trucks on mars for a week straight. Planetary survey, the entire crew except for some engineering staff from Mitsubishi were University kids and professors. They had a blast, and did incredible science ... twenty years ago that would have been a nine hundred billion yen space mission. Now, they did it on corporate pocket change ... I think all they had to do was shoot some commercials for the trucks. Couldn't say before now, tight Non-Disclosure Agreement and all ... but I can bring the whole file to the meeting. Terms of the NDA allow company wide disclosure after the expedition returned ... 39 hours, 27 minutes ago."

"Anyway, have a great day ... just get back to me by the usual channels when you have a good time for next week." She said as she opened the azure gate and was gone ...

Archived