Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Padawan Kamiko [FIN]

Sailor OOC

June 15, 2027

Tokyo, Japan

Sunny, 16Cº, 0830hrs

Kamiko walked about the still empty house of Doryoku and Long. They were on an extended vacation and Kamiko preferred the confines of the Hideyoshi estate over the more restrictive ones of the Kinshasha stateroom she was in. As a warper, she could be anywhere on a moment's notice and didn't mind being on call. But today this was different. Her communicator was off. She was still dressed in what she considered her pajamas, barefooted with a surplus japanese maritime self defense force seaman's uniform on. Sailor collar and all. She organized a couple of books and hurriedly got the breakfast she was cooking, a mixture of diced scrambled eggs, sausage, diced canadian bacon, tofu, rice, shrimp, and soy sauce.

She stopped next to her Captain's uniform from the trip on the Hikari Maru... her first real achievement. She set it on a mannequin near the Kitchen, lit by the morning light of the rising sun, it's blue trim on the collar and body of the blazer and skirt was a sight to see. She playfully saluted the mannequin before getting back to work. Today was an important day, since today she was going to start focussing on her... She's seen some... inadequacies.

Luckily Dan was there too. Kamiko has felt... at unease. After that murder of her best friend, a bookstore owner a couple months ago, she felt she needed more...

She heard Dan upstairs in the guest bedroom stirring. At least through the security speakers in the kitchen. Then the feel of a portal opening was the signal she was waiting for.

She hits a button on a intercom speaker. "Dan... Starseed's arrived and Breakfast is almost done. Time to greet the morning!"

She smiles as she moves the 4 woks full of breakfast. If there is one think Kamiko has that Long or Doryoku have, it's appetite. She made sure she had some orange sauce on the aide for Sonja when she comes down.

She sees Starseed some around from a doorstop, and she bows. "Welcome back, Star-san... Wait... after all the stuff on the ship I sorta forgot your Japanese name we gave you." She says, scratching her head.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan smiled. this house was one a few where he could rest peacefully. he heard Sonja in the hallway and rose, grabbing an old white t-shirt and pulled it on, along with his pants then met his eager daughter in the hallway and made way to the Kitchen. true to form it was massive, easily reflecting on the appetite and love of food Long possessed.

"Some things don't change."

"You've been here before?"

"Many times, i helped rebuild this house, some time ago."

Seeing Dan move by Star she smiles and nods. "Hey, I helped... Dai Kami-Sama's first real job. I think she did pretty good moving I-beams around."

She starts setting plates and chopsticks on the table. "Still good with chopsticks? And is Sonja adept with them now as well? I do have forks if required. Same for Star."

She gets the rest of the table settings down as she almost skips to the fridge, getting a couple gallons of milk and orange juice. She also has a small skillet cooking what looks like spam.

"And I don't know what everyone's feelings are towards Spam... so I cooked up a little for myself."

"What a great morning it is ... I'm fine with chopsticks." Star says as he still squares away her bag, outside shoes and puts on her house slippers.

She sits down with everyone and intones "Ita daki mass!" in the exact way a Japanese girl of her age, in the upper class, should say it ... sitting in the traditional pose too. To little Sonjia Star said "Do you know Japanese? Thanks to Kami I've learned much of it ... lets say it together Sonjia ... It means 'I'm ready to eat' and is a very polite thing to do, especially for us girls.

Star was clearly in a good mood, which is not exactly rare for her ... but today she didn't have to work at it. This was going to be a great visit with Kami-chan and Hawkins-san. She would not let thoughts of darker things overshadow this day, like thoughts of her Mother ... wait, no. She would clear her mind of such things, and live in this moment of the present.

When Kamiko sits at her seat, she clasps her hands for a few moments, before whispering amen. "You said that pretty well, Star, just have to work on the inflection a bit. And by the way, however you show appreciation for a meal, start, end, whatever, it doesn't matter to me as long as you appreciate the effort... And... yes I did say grace... and I'm a Shintoist... I burn through paper for my gift, I try to show appreciation for the sacrifice of trees for my benefit." She starts spooning her meal unto her plate. "That and my biological father was christian but allowed all beliefs under his roof. How you think he met my mother?"

She sets things up at her seat. "Itadakimasu." She says in a humble tone before taking her first bite.

"Ironic... today we're learning from each other."

Sonja shook her head. "I don't know it yet, but in time I will."

Dan nodded. "We never really had time to teach her anything beyond English."

He looked to kamiko and allowed a sly smile. "I DO know Exactly how your biological parents met, and your adopted ones."

"Those were some very very impressive wedding services."

"Not at All. Over two decades ago, kamiko's adopted Father, Ryu Hideyoshi and I were Elites. Often, he and I were paired together on contracts because our abilities supported each other so well. Some year later, a Third member was added to the team, Michael Alistair, Kamiko's biological Father. He was actually the first to leave the trade, then me, and I don't think Ryu has ever fully left."

he nodded. "to be fair, once Kamiko's parents passed away, he and his wife Sakurako, a member of Japan's Nippontai, and a major CEO in her own right, adopted Kamiko. I came around to help tutor her, after I'd learned some new things myself."

"I was the best man at both weddings, Though Ryu is Kamiko's Godfather."

There was alot more there that was unsaid, but it was enough to start.

"Wow, so you were all elites almost from the beginning then?"

"My family, was so much less interesting. I mean, Mother was a good person ... and really important in the States. She is a top level physicist, biophysics mostly ... working on the structure of M-R coils even. Her work will be cited for decades, and she helped lots of people by figuring out novel ways for Novas to do larger scale things with minimal application of power, resources. She is also a genius at planning. So I took after her ... in that way .."

"My Mother had all sorts of big academic and government connections, kept us safe ... kept me safe. Father did too, but he worked healing people. Healing things even Mother couldn't figure out ... and giving people good luck, shaping their destinies. So he had built us family connections with all sorts of rich, powerful people ... people who needed him or owed him. He really understood people too, where Mother didn't. I always thought we were safe ..."

"I lived in a sheltered world. Mother and Father had to keep me sheltered, and they let me have as much contact as they felt was safe. They both had it worked out, about making the price of attacking us too costly for any organization that could manage to pull it off. They worked hard at it, and I just had this perfect life growing up ... it was really so great until, you know. Good memories though, really good memories."

It's good that you have them, so few of your generation do." There was a sadness in his voice. "Once Sonja was born, Sarah and I largely dropped off the grid. Tracks were covered, wheels greased, Everything was in order so we could raise her quietly together. It didn't last."

He shook his head. "Still that's not a story for now."

"Kamiko's family is like that here in Japan, With her a valued member of Nippontai, and Ryu a versatile and powerful Elite, they've garnered massive influence, favors, and wealth. You wouldn't know it, but this home is argueably one of the safest locations in all the Eastern hemisphere."

He smiled. "I helped Sakurako design it."

"It is a beautiful home. I really like the interior design, looks more than a little like my second generation med-bay designs in here. ... Oh, and sorry, every time I talk about the past, even if I try to tell the happy things ... it just turns out. Anyway. I am always happy to drop by for a visit. Anytime ... but what was the plan for today?"

... She took another bite ...

"Naturally, the messaging is intentionally cryptic ... I'm game for anything, as you all know."

"Well... we were talking a while back... about meditation... I've been having issues with self-control, as was illustrated back at the mountain retreat and even moreso on Mars then after. My temper got the best of me. I know I am very overprotective of those I love and I was a bit torn since I consider you a friend as well, Star."

She pats her mouth with a napkin. "What I am trying to say is that I need to learn how to see the bigger picture. Something that I think things like meditation could help with. And perhaps some of the techniques you know would be a good thing to work toward over time. We've gone into the deep end, as we are all aware from a month ago. We're going to have to know how to walk the walk and talk the talk, as it were."

"Always a first time for anything." Kamiko says with a smile. "I'm sure we all have something to share. Not just meditating or what not. How capable are you at defending yourself?"

Kamiko eats some more of her meal, then sips a bit of her milk. For the bad table manners of her adoptive parents, she's rather polite. "For instance, I was going to ask Dan at some point to start training me in unarmed techniques. I myself could teach you a thing or two about the Naginata."

"As for other things, I know that you are good at meditation, and could offer that. Also, I have been trained in things like first response and rescue training. Something that might be of use to you if you ever have to save your crew. I might not be there in an emergency."

She scratches her nose. "I'm not as tough as Dan is, although at some point I am going to learn some things on my own to mitigate that gap. But one thing I can assure you... Dan-sensei is a good teacher. Stern, yes, but also understanding of his students. He won't break you... only your limits."

She smiles and nods to Dan. "And... he is a good person to have to remind you that balance and control are far better things than outright power."

Kamiko almost says what she really wanted to know, but holds back for now. She knows she's not ready to learn what her parents learned... the thing that got them killed. "Well... What do you think I'm lacking, Dan, other than what I'm looking to Star to show. Perhaps you might know a few things that may help Star become a better teacher?"

She smiles, not trying to look like she's holding back. "That... and I wouldn't mind furthering your academics, Sonja. I'm not a good teacher myself. That takes practice I think..."

"I could also show everyone how to at least cover your data tracks. A little hacker martial-arts if you will. You'd be surprised where a little common sense, some knowledge of social engineering, and a lot of patience combined with a proactive strategy can get you."

"I could observe you teaching Kami...ask questions along the way? Might kill two birds with one stone."

"Thing is ... I am sure there are a bunch of cool skills you both know that I don't. I would dearly love to learn tactics and battlefield skills ... but I won't have time enough to practice or reinforce much. So I thought maybe sticking to one skill might be best for today."

Speaking to Dan "With your years of being an elite, I would definetly like to take a rain check on some training days."

Answering and earlier question she had been pondering "Trying to think what I could teach that you might not already know. I have 37 master's degree and all the associated undergrad, so I know things ... but academic knowledge takes a while to communicate."

"For me to teach powers I think you might have to be energy manipulators of some sort - I am an energy manipulator and creator, so passing on the basics of a power might be done in a reasonable amount of time if our powers work in a similar fashion."

"You know what? I have an idea. I know lots of rare node and attunement exercises and forms. Those coukd be demoed quickly and if you practice the drills you'd probly get the basics down in a week or so. Like attuning things at range ... that one takes time ... building up a decent range anyway. Or doing more detailed scans with your node. Plus if either of you don't know how to enhance the regeneration of internal energies, that is a useful one."

Dan nodded. 'I agree with that, even if Kamiko is a quick learner."

"my method of instruction regarding what she wishes to learn is quite different, but I will endeavor to do the best that I can."

he looked to Kamiko and Sonja. "We'll use your father's Dojo in the back, I trust the equipment locker is stocked as always with gi, finish your meal and change, I'll handle the dishes, then meet you there."

Kamiko smiles. "Mind if I wore my Naginata training Gi? It is what I am most used to." She says, with a smile. "And I will assist with dishes as well. The cook should share some of the responsibility in the care of her tools, correct?" She says, finishing her meal. "Keep in mind, Star... Dan is... through, in his methods. Something I am actually proud to have seen. He can find flaws in a method and point them out of you are unaware of it. Sometimes the most glaring mistakes are the ones you don't know you're making."

She brushes her surplus uniform and apron off. "As for the Naginata, it is the most sublime of all of the Japanese weapons. well suited for one who wishes to defend themselves in my opinion. Or in the case of what it has become in our culture, to defend ones hearth and home... Perhaps after Dan is done with us... we should take time to start the basics on that. If you wish to learn."

"Cool... I look forward to it."

She starts collecting dishes for washing. "Now... don't worry about I and Dan. We'll probably have a few things to talk about before we all meet. Alright? Also make sure Sonja, that you eat your fill, no more. The worst thing you can get is a stomach ache from having too much in there. Doryoku made that mistake a few times after she erupted... Nova propensity to eat extreme quantities sometimes doesn't equate a ample storage capacity in the gastro-intestinal tract."

She blinks for a moment... "Umm... I mean don't let your eyes be bigger than your stomach."

She collects her wok and whatever utensils she used. "Please return the chopsticks, by the way... they're reusable and I really like them. They're my personal set."

"Oh, before I forget, I really should thank everyone for coming today. You are my trusted friends... well... some of them. I've made a lot more but you guys have become very close to me."

She smiles as she starts further organizing.

"I've not gotten as far as I have without your help, everyone."

Clearing the dishes took little time, but once done everyone prepared and dressed for Dan's training session.

He nodded to Sonja and Kamiko. "Sonja, today you're going to work through the first Kata without a mistake." She nodded, The first Kata was something he knew she was young for, and even though he'd been working with her, she was only six, and had yet to come close to mastering it.

He looked to Kamiko. "You've gotten good with a Naginata, but I wonder, how are you at simple hand to hand?"

With that he had walked off across the teak flooring and nodded. "Come show me what know, and We'll see where exactly you are."

Kamiko looks over Dan's stance... he's keeping his cards close. Smart man. She bows, not taking her eye off of Dan for a millisecond. He's an elite as well as a teacher... one of his favorite lessons... never take your eyes off your opponent.

She decides what is best is to take a stance similar to what she would do carrying her staff once she rises. Great center of gravity, taking a defensible position once Dan counter attacks her first move.

"I think the answer to that question is obvious, Sensei." She states, before throwing a solid punch, following through with the basics for his midsection. Her Kiai is meek, but showing signs of potential.

Dan's own movement is insanely fast, catching her hand and pivoting hard to toss her into the air, but not hard eough to send her to the mat. It did set her off balance though, but he didn't press the advantage. "Come on Kamiko. A straight attack with textbook preparation to a normal counter. You will have to do much better than that."

"This early? We've not started, Sensei... OOF!" Kamiko allows herself to land seemingly prone, before she decides to sweep Dan, throwing a kick for the inside of his knee to cause him to lose footing. Then rolling to her feet she lunges for the prone leg. The goal... grapple it and force him to submit with a joint lock. It is her method... end the fight quickly and without doing much damage. Knowing what sort of leverage is required to press against the nerve clusters and joint tolerances in the knee is all she has right now.

This time he used the force of the movement and his superior strength to break her hold on his foot, kicking hard and throwing her straight up into the roof, catching her and pushing her away.

"Fairly nice move, but you know I'm alot stronger than you. Don't try that when you're at such a disadvantage."

What balance... that's not just brute force, that proper application of strength! My rib cage would have caved in otherwise unless he held back... dear god he's a monster... keep your distance... One raindrop at a time, Kami-chan...

Kamiko contorts as best she can from getting rattled, back to a stable stance and in a rolling dive heads to Dan's flank on his left side. Before he can land his raised foot back on the floor Kamiko attacks the other knee with another quick kick behind the knee to buckle his leg and cause him to fall. Then she'll continue the assault while he's prone... if she can make him prone.

"Haaaah!" She shouts with conviction as she takes another swing at the mighty redwood named Dan.

Dan shook his head, and stood there. Her leg hit his, and he didn't even budge. It was a weak point attack, and it would have worked against someone. He looked down and brought his heel down stopping half a centimeter from her face. "Standard weakpoints do not always work. If you are doing battle with another nova, one who is tougher than most, common pressure points often don't work. be more creative, or get your head kicked in."

He sighed. "I know Ryu trained you better than this. If that was his foot, you'd have an inch of claw in your temple. You're sloppy, thinking solely like a human."

"You've forgotten everything I taught you when you were ten."

Further out on the mat, Sonja practiced her own workout, moving as fluidly as a six year old can, a look of supreme concentration on her face.

"Your Father was an accomplished fighter in half a dozen styles, and you have yet to even master one."

He returned to his starting stance, held out a hand and motioned for her to come again.

Kamiko was puzzled. "You are faster... and stronger... thank you for the opportunity... but this isn't over yet, Sensei." She says, slowly getting up, then brushing off her Gi. "Not by a long shot."

She starts to remember a few things he taught her... she had held them back, but if he wants her to go with everything she's known... she'll have to apologise later. In one hand she had taken a couple sheets of paper. With a flick, she tosses them at his face. This blinding moment will be what she needs. She can't hesitate to see if the sheets connect. She has to go for what's between his legs. He taught her to fight dirty... although it disgusted her greatly, it was what he asked.

Dan sighed. She got mad, thought she was being inventive, and started throwing her powers into this.

He closed his eyes, and seemed to shimmer. The sheets of paper were nothing, a distraction, he struck with downward force, knocking her leg down before it could connect, and the pushing her back onto her back, and She could see electricity flare from his eyes.

"You sure you want to open that can of worms, using powers?"

There are moments of clarity.

There are moments of wreckless.

There are moments of stupidity.

Kamiko just set a record of having all three at once. She stammers... at first not knowing what to say but then feeling genuine fear... after all there are borders one doesn't cross. You don't pull on superman's cape. You don't squeeze the charmin, and you sure as hell don't try to kick Dan Hawkins in the balls and not reap the whirlwind.

"I... I... I..."

"Three I's in one sentence... that's very self centered... beings you just decided to get real."

"I..."

In Kamiko's mind there rattles no end of curses and curses of various languages towards her stupidity.

In reflex she twists and sends her left foot with a kick into his head full thrust.

The kick made him smile, and he let it connect. "Good, For a moment, I thought you were going to give up. That always disappoints me, you surrender so easily."

He grabbed her leg, now holding them both, and lifted her aloft, "What do you expect me to do now? you've gambled on the kick hurting me enough to let you away. I could toss you across the room, or do nearly anything I want."

Instead he flipped her over, allowing her to regain her feet. He bowed once and nodded. "ALWAYS respect the capabilities of your opponent."

"I know about where you are now, and more than anything, you need to work on your fundamentals. Your kicks were slow and sloppy, and that punch like everything else you tried was telegraphed. You need to hide your impending movements better."

She gets up, brushes herself off some more and bows, keeping an eye on Dan. "Thank you, Sensei. 5 years I am afraid is too much time with a nose in a book." She says with a sigh of realization. "But... that is why we are here, right?"

"So... what's first on the agenda? 5 years of lost ground to cover and who knows how much time we actually have."

She stretches out, feeling a couple joints got slightly misaligned. "That and my Mother's Naginata training... tends to be more form and theory over actual application."

"What you expect, having an Engineer for a Sensei, right?"

He nodded. "I could take you on with the Naginata, though I'd have to use a Wakizashi most likely."

"Still it's not that aspect that needs training." He pointed to Sonja who was working on the routine Dan had taught her. "Look at Sonja, watch her."

Sonja moved more fluidly than she should be able to, but not perfectly. "That routine is the sum of my knowledge of fundamentals. Mastering it is the basis for something I may one day teach you as well."

Kamiko begins to watch Sonja. Once she starts to repeat, Kamiko can't help but start to mimic, trying to get every aspect of the balance, positioning and poise one would... or should expect. "The eyes can do so much, Dan..." She takes a few more steps. "I would need more from a trained expert to truely understand this kata. What is this, by the way?"

Kamiko's curiousity is piqued. As a student should. "And Sonja is really getting the hang of it even for her young body."

"It is a "Beginning." That's all you need to know for now. It is meant to incorporate all the basics. She has been working through the routine for a few months now. She's young, but she's coming to master it."

"In Time she will be ready for the others. Time I will buy with certain arrangements."

Archived