Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Padawan Kamiko [FIN]

Sailor OOC

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star observed dispationately - as if trying to record every nuance of what was going on. In reality, she was considering the flows of information. The psycho-social dynamics ... she was here to see how Mr. Hawkins trained his pupil. She was actaully recording for later, as she often did with her little data band.

When they were finished she said "Wow. Impressive ... very interesting to watch. If you wouldn't mind Sensei Hawkins ... or perhaps you Kami-chan ... could you both review the terms for some of the maneuvers for me? So I can reference later."

Kamiko turns to Starseed. "If you were referring to the sparring that I and Dan were doing... I was just improvising, using my knowledge of joints and plain physics to try to take him off his feet. That was my goal. Unfortunately... I underestimated Dan's capability to keep balance. So I employed what would be called simply... a dirty trick. And before anything further is said Dan, It was the best idea I could come up with at the moment. I've not truely been in a life-or-death combat scenario... so unlike Sensei I am just theory and no practice."

She brushes off her Gi, noticing a spot that seemed off. "Dan... you mentioned you wanted to see my Naginata skills first hand?"

She walks over to a table and starts forming a blunted Naginata in her hands with some paper that was sitting on the table. "If you want to spar Wakizashi to Naginata, there are some training swords in the storage shed. If we used live steel that could be a risk for Sonja if there was a misstep."

Dan looked at her and nodded, returning with a short boken, made to represent a wakizashi. "That that was the best you could manage, does disappoint me. You are smarter than that."

He sighed. "You should treat practice like real combat Kamiko. One day soon I will take you somewhere and I will remedy that lack of experience you have, perhaps then you'll understand."

Be held the Wakizashi in a reverse grip, and nodded, taking a guarded stance. "Come when you are ready."

Kamiko glares over her glasses before re-adjusting them. The strap never really kept them perfectly in position. She takes a position, presenting the Naginata at a optimum angle. Then she takes a suprising maneuver and Jumps back, moving the naginata in a quick, masterful strokes she starts attacking Dan's wrists with her blunted blade at full strength. Her silent determination hinted a slight bit of confusion at Dan's intent. She understands what he wants, but not the method or even the reason. Probably the first mistake a schoolgirl trained in the safety of a Dojo with no real combat experience would make.

WTF is the kid doing you ask?
Simple... Disarm then Keeping mobile and distant to put her at an optimum range for dodging.

Dan moved quickly hitting the blunted blade aside and sighing as it proved to be too easy. A few dodges, and a second later, The Wakizashi was at her throat.

"Going for the wrists, a good move, but damn hard to do with the Naginata. It's not a weapon built for hitting small targets, but rather larger ones. "

Kamiko retreats back, still playing to her weapon's strengths and turns around, making a move to strike Dan in his face with the but of her Naginata, taking full advantage of her weapon's reach and momentum.

"We make do with what we have, Dan-sensei. You of all people should know of that."

Kamiko growled. "Which one? Important detail!"

She used the principle of levers to bring the blade back about swinging at her best speed for his neck. She didn't care if it hurt or not, she just wanted to connect with her best just once on him. She sensed the frustration within her... could he be playing a meta-battle with her own mind?

Dan smiled and jumped, landing on the swinging edge of the blade, the shift in weight forcing it down into the teak floor as the Wakizashi landed squarely atop her head. "Don't like comparissons to your mother do you? That nagging feeling of inadequacy is hell isn't it? Your Father certainly suffered it."

He was baiting her out, his words designed to cut through her defenses goading her to a more passionate and irrational response....

Kamiko felt her impulses trying to fight her rationality. She closes her eyes and pulls her Naginata back.

"I don't know... I suffered this haven't I?" Her snark was obvious... comedy. She actually cracks a smile before she swings with even more technique, adapting to his movements. "Dan, you're just strengthening my resolve, not stirring my inner demons. They are well chained."

"So If I told you I could tell you where to find the person who was directly responsible for your parents' death, that i've known all this time, and done nothing, and would allow you to do nothing, you'd be perfectly alright?"

He smiled as he dodged her, or parried her as it suited him. He was leaving seeming openings and she went for them, to find they weren't so open as she thought.

She winces from the pain. That strike was a killing blow. Or what would have been. She knows enough about anatomy to know what a sword would do.

"You... You played me didn't you? You told that particular lie to break my focus... That's a low tactic, even for you, Dan-Sensei."

Her tone was condemning. "Explain yourself."

She had control, but her anger was seething.

"Dead. We made VERY sure. Your parents wanted the temptation of revenge removed."

"You still have much control to learn Kamiko. That lapse would have gotten you killed, it could have gotten others who counted on you killed."

He looked at Sonja, who had finished her exercise. "We all have things that can be used to provoke us, still you must learn more control. Do not let rage blind and consume you. That way leads to nothing."

Kamiko sighs.

"Not that I could have defeated him in my state anyways... All twisted up inside."

She takes a seat on a bench. "It's... I've not felt right in a bit. Since things started picking up for me just before I visited the Congo for the Den. I think my main issue is just... belonging."

"The GNS was something I thought I would fit into just fine. Recent events has revealed mostly otherwise." She looks to Star, hoping she sees the sincerity of that realization.

"I've taken this all for granted and I could lose it all in moments." She looks down, her hands clasped between her legs. "And just thinking about that almost had me losing myself, Dan."

She nods. "Yeah... I'd never be interested... In my mindset now... even at my worst I would have not went for it. I'd call him a coward for how he did my parents in, but what good would that do?"

"That is the way of life kamiko. Every moment could be your last, so make every moment count. That was your parent's path, That is Ryu's path, it is my path. Remember the past, look to the future, and live for the now. We can plan for what seems like anything, but we must accept there are things that happen beyond even our control. We are not infallible, no nova is. We each have power, with the potential for greatness that outshines the stars, but the responsibilities to use that power wisely, those rest firmly upon our shoulders as well. Soon, we will make further choices that will likely add to this burden, It is my job to keep you all safe."

He looked to Star, and to Sonja as well. "We all know what is at stake, nothing short of the future itself. I would see you grasp it with your own hands, and decide how you wish to shape the world. I believe in you, which is why I agreed to so much that's jeopardized everything I've worked for personally."

He nodded as Sonja came to him silently hugging him. "Daddy." There was a moment where he stopped, and briefly he saw Luna as opposed to Sonja, and then it was back to his daughter.

He nodded. "There's so much to be done. I'm thankful for the times like this morning we can have. I fear they will be far and few between."

"No Dan, there'll be many more after the long night. I promise."

Kamiko nods. "We are at the right place at the right time. We just got to find the courage to leap when we need to."

She smiles as she stands back up. "When Origami was teaching me how to properly use a parachute you remember how scared I was? I was petrified! But what was it I remembered that Dad always said when I was afraid of the dark... "There is nothing there in the dark that isn't there in the light." ...I think it was about that point where I lept off.... Doryoku had to chase me down flight vs freefall because I forgot my helmet! Man I got lectured by Dad. Thank god Doryoku came along with my folks that day..."

She laughs. "We gotta go for it..."

Kamiko's smile was as wide as a river was long.

"Hey... we had our moments... I just wonder why Mom was learning that stuff... I mean a Teacher never needed to train for HALO jumps for any curriculum I know. Unless she was a drill instructor or something."

She scratches her head, rotating her left shoulder a bit from the slam. "Although for me it was fun being under canope and it's pretty important to know if I'm ever knocked off of my paper airplane."

She walks over bows her eyes on Dan. "Thank you, Sensei." She says before extending out her hand, forearm bare. "I think you and Long did this handshake from time to time... Father too. Maybe a little bit of him will be there?"

Star did not interrupt, she was observing the student-teacher dynamic. In this case it was more of a Master-student dynamic, nuanced with familial ties and Kamiko working through her internal issues. It was good to see her working through them too, better now than in combat.

With Star's memory training she no longer felt the need to keep notes via her databand, so she was absolutely silent. She was almost expressionless, as she suppressed her own emotions for a purely rational analysis. She would integrate the emotional nuances later, in a round of post analysis.

... Fascinating to watch ... certainly not a textbook technique, though not unlike certain northern Han monastic traditions from Daoist influenced sects.

Dan shook his head. "We did. until you have known real combat at my side, Kamiko, you have not earned what that gesture means from me."

There was no condescension, no reprimand, simply the statement of belief. He knew she would likely not understand at first, but he hoped she would forgive him this.

Kamiko brings her hand back, looking like her fingers were broke for a moment just from the words alone.

A awkward silence followed, but soon broken. "I... I understand."

She scratches her head, not being part of his world seems confusing yet familiar in a way.

"So, Star... my lessons will be far less intriguing... and maybe less painful. The ability to keep your opponent at the edge of your blade is something to behold... unfortunately now that I've seen how far ahead Dan is to I, what I know is just basics."

"So... perhaps I will let You and Dan have a session while I observe.... after seeing how well I recalled Sonja's kata."

As she steps away from Dan's spot at the center of the Dojo, she bows to him respectfully and moves to a side of the Dojo, starting on the moves she saw Sonja practicing.

"I am not here to learn combative techniques, rather instructional ones. Watching this is very informative, and I would like to see you exceed your own limits today Kamiko. Perhaps another day for my own combat lessons ..."

and Star smiled a wry little grin "Besides. I don't think your opponent is done with you. Breaks in battle are lucky, not scheduled. Please continue, I do not wish to bias the proceedings."

Dan returned the bow and sighed inwardly. She did not understand. In time Kamiko I fear you will though, and Long and I both mark that as a great failure on our parts.

He looked to Star and nodded. "She is actually very good, but her knowledge and talent is bound due to it not being real experience, simply that gained from hours of repitition and rote."

"My methods are far from normal. They don't apply to all situations, perhaps though there was something you saw that's of use." He smiled. "Your thoughts?"

"It is interesting, and informative. I have spent several hundred hours studying military videos - footage of live formative and operation training, and instructional pieces among them. I have also been trained using several non-academic paradigms, including some of those same Daoist influenced techniques I mentioned earlier. Those are my reference points in this context - aside from some war-games I ran early in the year I suppose."

"Observing combative training is useful. Especially a culturally oriented and stylistic form such as this. More generic fighting systems are not often taught with accompanying philosophy. Thus a more generic approach only trains muscle memory and rudimentary tactics. This interaction is richer in information content. Though I find the earlier expression of anger distinctly un-Japanese. An educational challenge you both have yet to meet."

"Please take no offense at the latter, it is a clinical assessment. Purely on a professional level. It is, however, interesting."

Dan nodded. "I am not Japanese, and originally I was a Marine. Explosive volume, anger, berating recruits, these were things used by the corps in those days. They are a holdover, though they serve a purpose in breaking the rote and routine, being just one more trick to push a student from their comfort zone."

Kamiko pauses in her kata, blinking at Dan's then Star's assessments.

"The only reason why Dan and I get along... outside of being teacher and student... is the fact that to be honest he is as just a member of my family as anyone else related to me or charged with my care."

"Maybe if Doryoku used such tactics in her training... or was trained herself in that manner she wouldn't be so... technical."

"Your Wakizashi technique has an efficiency I have yet to assess fully... and I hope to God it's not for the reasons a sword is drawn."

"Ah, I see. Some of the elements of your style I did recognize as American military in style ... though I do not have the skill to pick out Marine vs. Ranger."

"However you conduct yourself as an internal stylist. Of course, I do not know wu-gong ... internal martial technique ... except in theory. I am skilled in nei-gong, however, internal spiritual technique. I am also educated in the other noble arts of qi-gong, acupuncture, moxibustion, Tui-na medical massage, Zhang-fu diagnosis, and elements of classical calligraphy. These also utilize the same principles, though they are medical and scholarly in nature."

"Thus I recognize the elements of your style that share origins with my own education. At a guess, I would say Yang-style Tai-chi? It is only a guess, however since my background through my Father originates from temple monks as opposed to fighting monks."

"Since explosive anger cannot be reconciled with anything but the use of Jing, the lower or physical energy - Yang in nature ... I am guessing that is the element of your own interior style you demonstrate here?"

Dan gave her perhaps the slyest smile she'd yet seen, and nodded. "It has many aspects, and was always my edge against certain novas."

He nodded. "Sakurako not being technical, I doubt that in the extreme. The only three things I've seen her not be technical about were your parents' wedding, you, and Ryu." again the sly smile was there, saying "I-know-something-you-don't."

He looked at Star and nodded. "The one you saw me use there yes. I know another that is similar, yet worlds different. It was something a good friend spent two years teaching me."

Deflecting to a similar topic, and offering Kami explanation to change the subject as Dan wished ... Star explained:

"I have full education as a Traditional Chinese medical Doctor - T.C.M. for short. The theories of internal development, chi (qi) and many of its intricacies, were applied and developed for health first. Long before they were applied to combat. The same theories that one uses for Tai-ji (Dai-qi) are used in acupuncture, for example. Pretty much exactly the same ... though of course the application is different. For health, a Chinese doctor prescribes qi-going exercises for blood and energy flow ... where an internal stylist practices certain subsets of qi-gong known as wu-gong. These allow the martial stylist to focus on building and using energy for combat. High level practitioners both practice varying degrees of nei-dan, or spiritual energy development ... though I generalize."

"My Father was a renowned Daoist healer. I only recognize some things because learning internal styles change you permanently. You carry yourself differently, biomechanics are different. I also have a minor in sports medicine, and one in complimentary medicine from the Mount. Sainai program ... but I can only pick out certain things. Were it a Japanese or Korean style I would be less able to do so ... as those styles are much less refined. Often termed external, and not sharing in the high level knowledge."

"But I am no martial artist, I just recognize a 'noble cousin in learning' as the ancient Han might have termed it."

No actual knowledge of Qi-meng
Star has no actual knowledge of Qi-meng, just extensive knowledge in the philosophies and systems that the style shares with Chinese medical practice

"I see. Martial Arts in general isn't my field of study, but I can say with certainty Sakurako... or Doryoku as she is known among Nippontai, has made a style of her own while learning from Naginata herself. Doryoku's style is more technical, relying on the body's and weapon's own momentum and leverage and exploiting weaknesses along with the typical fundamentals. I noticed in that fight I was focussing on the wrong objectives... I should have been attempting to break his weapon. Then again... I think my mindset was incorrect for the excersize. I should have went in without thinking of the "metagame" as it were and put myself in the mindset of the attacked."

She nods as she stands back up. "Can't fight if all the fighting you do is in sparring, and can't go to war if all you've done is played chess."

Dan knows where she got that phrase from.

Archived