Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] GNS - Galactic Navigation Services [FIN]

"Mmm, Japanese name." Puck pursed his lips and though for a moment. "How about 名声? The word means 'hope' and 'right future' and 'great achievement' and 'clever' and a few other words along the same line. It seems like that's fitting for the first public trip to another habitable planet."

He looked around at the others, giving them space to yea or nay his choice or proffer ones of their own.

Romanji and pronunciation.
Romanji: Koumyou.

Pronunciation: Ko myo with short o's.

Go to Google Translate and put in 'renown' and translate from English to Japanese. The other words have it, but renown picks it up directly.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamiko blushes. "Sorry Dan, was just thinking of everything and it slipped my mind. Getting everything nailed down takes up some thought process."

Kaimko sighs, scratching her head. "We should pick a word that's easier to translate to all languages. Or ones who's meaning is not confusable." She grumbles about the difficulty of having proper pronounciation of a language that requires so much context to understand.

"希望, or Kibō works far better if we wish to name her "Hope". Metahumanity's hopes and dreams rest on our shoulders, after all."

Kami-chan the diplomat...
[Kamiko] 2:00 pm: Charisma/Etiquette(Diplomacy) Roll.

Kamiko *rolls* 9d10: 8+4+3+8+8+1+4+10+9: 55

[Kamiko] 2:00 pm: 5 sux...

"I think that was where we were going with this, right?"

Kamiko nods, looking over the group.

"I'm real impressed you got your group together in this short of a time, Star. A good diversity."

She claps her hands clean and sits down to read her packet further. "Umm, one thing... think we could have a probe for a landing? Unmanned, of course? Or is that too far ahead for what is planned?"

"So can't wait for the training photo ops." She says with a giggle.

"Kibo ... Kom-yo ... What is the system composition Puck? What is the number of the occupied orbital path - counting from the star outwards - that the planet occupies? It matters in how it rolls off the tounge. Kibo two, Kom-yo three ... that sort of thing. One day, most may well refer to Earth as Sol-three as some astronomers do."

"Like minds Kami-chan, like minds. Everyone here wants to help people ... everyone here is a citizen of the Galaxy, and a sentient being ... and those are the terms the people of Earth will have to think in before the culture matures into whatever form it will eventually take. Right now, we are probably regarded as primitives by species far more advanced than us ... Present company excluded, many of us Terrans are not unlike bronze age islanders who consider the edge of the world to be the farthest point their ships had traded ... most never having left our tiny little village."

"We are taking some of the first real steps ... I thank all of you for being here."

"If you want a probe, you'll have to have it ready in ninety hours .... a cursory security check will have to be done. It will never get close to the flight though, I'll just place it planet-side directly from a parking orbit. Telemetry will be dual side band FM analog on 14Mhz, and 130Mhz, digital decoding can be done with the portables. Has to transmit at least five hundred watts for a guaranteed clean signal ... weight isn't really an issue so make it beefier if you can. Remember, has to be EMP hardened because it will be in space - that means Faraday cages and magnetic shielding at least."

"You know that thing about like minds, Star?" Kamiko says with a wink. "I'm in lock step on that. I'll look into my contact at the University and see if he's taken the proper precautions."

She adjusts her suit before scratching behind her neck. "So... you think... you think I'll be okay with this, Star? I mean I agree with your decision 110% but still, you think I'm ready to be trusted with this much of the mission? The science of this mission is of paramount importance. I'm absolutely sure I can be what you need, but I was just curious what you thought."

Star nods to Kami and smiles ... then continues "OK. So why don't we all put our thinking cap on for a few days on the name. We have to keep it under wraps until the big unveil anyway ... and it was more than I hoped for to be going to a habitable world." says Star

She flips pages in the paper file "The next stop for anyone who is a passenger is not for a while. In fact, Darrik ... even though you are crew now, I am sure you can more or less wing it as Social Director. Likely, between you and Puck, we will have a well managed bunch ... happy and healthy. In Appendix C you can see the training schedules. The times are ranges, and the locations aren't specified ahead of time because on Mr. Hawkins and I will know them along the way. We are going to dynamically shuffle people between randomly chosen locations for maximum safety."

As people flip pages she continues "The order of the training itenerary is also flexible, as you can see. Celebs and academics aren't going to want to work too hard ... and its not like we are training them for an old school space mission with crazy G loads and terrible sardine can conditions. Baselines and Novas on board who need space medicine ... I've got that covered. Motion sickness in zero-G will not be a problem ... back in '12 they discovered that over the counter meds and breathing exercises together usually take care of it. Part of the training will also be a simple but effective spin chair, which helps people acclimate. Any serious injury, we have a well stocked med bay and can quickly get people to terrestrial care."

... Star began to wrap up "There will be plenty of time during training for quick meetings. Keep those paper files safe and accounted for at all times please. Medical exams are an excellent pretense to get you out of training for short periods of time if you need Puck ... but I've made one of me available to cover any admin tasks you need during training time. We do have to keep up the pretense of being sequestered like everyone else, even Staff shouldn't make a big deal of not being on continuous duty during those last 72 hours. It establishes a shared experience factor with the others, for building morale. Before we break this quick meet and greet ... any more questions?"

Kamiko hands over the documents to Star. "Fully memorized and accounted for, Star." She says, a quick flare of her anima showed she indeed memorized it. "Man... I love being able to do that."

"As for I, I do not have any prior obligations during this time period, I made sure of that. If you wish to keep me off the radar that is perfectly fine. I.. Just request you have alot of books on hand. If there's downtime I get bored easily. Although if you wish to make my downtime useful having books on the subject at hand or more training manuals will be greatly appreciated." Kamiko says.

"As for the last 72 hours, that might be the biggest time for me to hammer down on emergency contingencies and other possible things that may require an extra hand on the medical/repairs front. I'm more than just a cute bridge officer, you know." She says with a wink. Trying to keep things light.

"Although I have to agree we are on the final stretch. We should finish strong."

"I have no major questions, and give me forty eight hours, and I should have our japanese celebrity guest onboard, and the extra equipment. I should also have who Sonja will be staying with nailed down, one way or another." He produced a list of names he had made the night before, and handed it to Star. "As for the remaining selections, these are the ones I'd reccomend, off what we have so far, plenty of alternates in case something doesn't pan out in the interview, but still somewhere to start."

Kamiko remembered the list of Japanese students. "There is only one name on the list I think I would vett for approval, Star. Although I think you made selections already, but Mayashi I think would make a good assistant for me. I noticed that name among some of the candidates. Of anyone I think that would appreciate the actual science of this trip and come away perhaps a bit more enlightened than she started, It would be her. The last decision is up to you, and I am sure you already have some others in mind, I just thought I'd toss my two cents in."

"Unless there were any objections."

In reply to Dan Star nodded, took the list, and said "Good, good. You know that the spot on the shuttle is there too. Just in case."

She said to Kami "I think you will have to speak with her parents, and the principle of her school. She is a high school senior who also attends cram school ... and though she has received dispensation for temporary leave ... it is actually illegal in her prefecture for high school students to hold any sort of job or major extracurricular position without approval from both her parents and the principle." ...

.... "You may have to speak with them, and of course ... with her ... on that one. I also wonder whether the district labor laws of her residence district or yours apply to a management relationship. Age related laws still vary in Japan despite federal minima. Something we will have to look into."

"Well... if we tie this in to her education some how this could work. If I make it where both I and Mayashi would be equal, both being on a educational endeavor with someone Like Dan named as the chaperone responsible for her safety, that could smooth some legal wrinkles. Technically the captain of the ship then would be our head teacher. Simply put the type of science we can manage with all of this would be a boon to education."

She straightens her uniform. "I would just need a class syllabus prepared from her school for this trip. Anything each of her teachers and perhaps her school would see opportunity in for this trip."

"Heck it would be easy for her physical education class, the basic emergency training that any astronaut would receive would be a good start."

"I just have to appeal to her teachers and her parents together and they will sign off on this as a official school function if I am successful. But we will have to move quick. Our window of opportunity is closing."

"What is the current time in Japan? My internal clock is off with Martian days and nights."

"Feel free to make preparations Lieutenant Commander ... though you may not notify her in any way ... nor indirectly relate information about any aspect of the selection process though your actions ... until the appointed date and time for candidate notification. Mr. Hawkins still has to run his security process ... and until the post voyage releases, all information is controlled. Nothing gets out without approval."

"I see. I'm dropping the request, then. This would take more preparation and add more risks to the mission than would be acceptable."

She sighs as she sits back down. "I should have remembered how restricted we were in how we could interact with potential candidates."

"If she is selected I will put my plan in motion but only under the strictest oversight. I do not want to jeopardize this and if there is too much baggage for her it would be better to cut her loose."

"Kamiko ... there will be time. I am sure the young woman will be thrilled at the offer when you make it, but lets take one thing at a time." said Star.

The meeting wrapped up with little fanfare, everyone looked over their material one more time and all agreed: there was work to do. Everyone helped clean up the site, but a small cave nearby served to stash the larger items for later. This was a handy spot - sheltered, remote, and rather pleasant. Handshakes and hugs followed up by azure gates to wherever people needed to go left Star standing alone on the red-gold gravel of the martian canyon floor.

Security, Training, and ... temporary locations across Japan, aboard the training hull Yamato.

With the final stage candidates in training there was already great footage archived. At this point there were thirty people in various stages of the process. Almost everyone had a backup doing the same evaluations as they were. The setup mirrored national space programs that way...and it allowed covert switch ups in case Security Chief Hawkins uncovered something.

It had been decided after a review of the security policies and procedures between Dan and Star that an enlisted style rank structure was a better fit for security and operational personelle in GNS. It allowed ranks to be assigned to those beloning to allied organization without compromising officer ranks. It also allowed senior NCOs to operate with effective authority at or above low to medium ranking officers who might be less experienced. Dan ran security his way and made changes. Starseed had only minor objections on a few points that were quickly resolved for the better ... Chief Hawkins knew how a military could work, even one with some new twists and a not-quite-military objective. These early days for GNS were a flurry if activity. The organization was truly taking shape. A para-military structure designed to accommodate baseline, nova, and every sentient being that might concievably fit in that range.

The candidates were enjoying themselves but enough challenge was offered to make the experience genuine. One of the Tokyo University academics in the final round did need his backup... Dr. Yamaguchi took ill with what would soon be a severe case of viral gastroenteritis. The isolation procedures and small group training format saved the day: no transmission of the virus occurred. Most candidates moved on to some micro-gravity time on board the Yamato. Mr. Hawkins and Kamiko had both suggested that some time looking at Jupiter and in the belt would be a treat for everyone ... and they were right. All of the trainees that went loved it, minor motion sickness and all. They acclimated, and those that wouldn't make past this round - the backups - got a genuine space experience. For most, this was their first time. Plus, it made things easier for Mr. Hawkins, since they were out of range once cleared and checked.

More great footage was archived in space, and the documentaries would invoke the magic of those old time Apollo program days.

Corporate Espionage ...

Mr. Hawkins, Cheif of Security, "ran a tight ship" when it came to security. Numerous additions to Star's protocols ... not only for now, but for the future ... had caught a sneaky little spy.

Sony Media Group International, known simply as SMG, was a conglomerate of epic proportions. They not only did media, but technology, fundamental research, JDF contracts, provided archival technologies for half the world, and had a dizzying number of daughter corporations. SMG was also well known in corporate circles for being a top notch espionage firm ... so much so that their 'market research division' was better trained and far better equipped than quite a few first world intelligence agencies. Old William Gibson would probably be horrified to learn that they had, in their own way, made his visions of the future into reality.

As Star had suspected, the riskiest group were the academics. Under funded - even in Japan under its Saisho boom - academics were always easy marks . This fellow, Professor Tadoshi Yakamura, had been a backup for one of the leading astrophysics contenders. Physically, he was clean. No implants, no meds, no suspicious signs on all the normal exams. Good training, it turned out, when it came to omitting certain potions of his historical data. SMG was good that way, they didn't push their assets too much. They gave them easy, doable assignments with good levels of training and tech to back it up. The fellow probably didn't explicitly remember any of the really stressful elements of his training due to the services of an in-house telepath. Star didn't have access to a mentalist, and his prep had likely allowed him to sidestep the biometric scans.

Dan had caught him thirty two hours ago ... rather he'd caught an op-net trace of his double life. Very subtle, very well covered ...but not well enough to elude Mr. Hakwins. They hadn't showed their hand until Star had a second look. It was an implant ... sort of. A bio-tech treatment that delicately adjusted some neural paths in the fellows brain. With some nearly untraceable drugs it enhanced his memory and made him compatible with some sort of quantum tech mind-machine-interface. Star couldn't reverse engineer exactly how it worked from just this end, but close inspection revealed the quantum signature of its last few interfaces. The faintest of quantum traces revealed that this fellow could be a walking surveillance system - perfect for taking a look at whatever they could arrange for him. Given he was a respected Professor at First Osaka Technical University this fellow may have already opened quite a few doors for SMG.

Naturally, they wanted to take a look at what GNS was doing. Projections had indicated an 86.7% probability of corporate espionage. Mr. Hawkins already had the situation dealth with, and the data-chip had come in with the last gate. Star cliped the chip into the portable comp and watched the status report from her security Cheif. The snippets of surveillance video from interrogation would also be amusing. Of course, they had no police powers ... but as a flight candidate this fellow had legally signed his financial and professional life away. That gave GNS leverage for quite a few things ... and this fellow would be quite eager for word of this not to get out. He'd make his faculty look bad, he'd make an enemy of SMG, and the government officials who'd recommended him for GNS would also loose face. Yes, Mr. Hawkins had plenty of leverage ... it would be an interesting report.

The other Star on board the Hiraki Maru stopped her technical checks and watched too ... both of them intent on the monitor.

Dan strode into the room wearing a sleek black suit with dark sunglasses over his eyes. "Mr. Takamura, I trust you've come to realize fully why your training has been suspended."

"I don't have to answer you."

"No sir you do not, you want to though, you most certainly want to."

"You wouldn't dare touch me."

"Oh no, I would not. I do not need to. Stil, I wouldn't dream of doing something that would deprive the world of your knowledge and tallents regarding astrophysics. I am affraid though, the situation could very well merit this."

The Asian man scowled at Dan. "You have nothing on me."

Dan shook his head, laying down a file on the table, only two pages were in it, a transcript of one of the reports on the disk, and more importantly, the contract and NDA with his authentic signature upon it.

"The first document is proof of violation of the second. This can be given to the press." He nodded.

"That would ruin me."

"To start yes. No lab would trust you, you'd lose your position at the university, and of course SMG would probably liquidate you as a liability. The Corporate world is quite unforgiving of failure, and those who are caught."

The look of fear that passed in the spy's eyes was fleeting but there, not fading away completely.

"It wouldn't stop there. Anyone associated with your reccomendation, several government officials included, they'd all be implicated and shamed. Still perhaps they need not be."

The look in Yamakura's eyes spoke of hope. Against a human he wouldn't have broke, against a powerful nova, one known as an extremely veteran Elite, one with ties to Nippontai, To major corporate interests, and indeed, some higher ranked members of the JSDF, he didn't have much of a chance.

"To make that happen, Mr Hawkins, what would I have to do?"

"You will quietly be returned to groundside. You will claim an unsuitability to microgravity. It was after all something you did score low on, and this will initially disqualify you from this first run. You will remain bound by the NDA, and be unofficially barred from applying to fly for a year, at which time We will run tests to see if things have been resolved. If you cannot test truly at that time, I will permanently bar you nd anyone from your university from ever flying with GNS."

"That's..."

"Quite Extreme yes, but necessary, I assure you. As it stands, I will increase scrutiny upon any applicant from the University for the duration. I'd hate to see the University suffer for the actions of one person, but this organization is something important to me, and I will not see things go awry so early."

"But."

"These are our terms, as they are. If you do not like them I can have a full report of the entire sordid affair on the opnet in seconds, and A team from both Nippontai and the Tokyo Police department ready and waiting when you emerge from the gate."

It was the killing stroke. He caved. "Alright, I agree."

"I have one further proviso, nothing really." He slid a disk over the counter. "Give that to whomever at SMG that you know for me."

"What is it?"

"Best you not know. They won't like it, but I can assure you they won't harm you."

Yakamura nodded. "Very Well."

"Thank you for being understanding, Dr. Yakamura. I hope when we meet next things will go better for all involved. You will be shown to your quarters and then transported home."

With that, Dan left him there with the disc, to contemplate his failure. The entire process took at most fifteen minutes to finish, and within thiry, he was home, a press release quietly released stating he'd been forced to retire from the mission due to unforseen health issues with microgravity training, born out by medical records for those who would certainly look. His reputation was intact.

Dan made his way to Star. "Well, that went well I think. It was a good idea to bank this. It shows them we know how things are done in Japan, and that we can play the game as well as them. It isn't blackmail here, simply the way of things." He sighed. "Still I'm going to have to go back through the protocols. I don't like that they were able to slide one in."

The Star on the scene replied to Dan "As you would have it, Chief. Unfortunately, they are not going to pull any punches. Our lack of a mentalist is a bit of a worry to me, but ethical concerns and such. Still, it seems this fellow meant no harm to the flight itself ... annoying though. We can't let them get a good look just yet."

She added "The good thing is that we won't be running this sort of passenger liner affair again for quite a while. From here on out, clients are responsible for their own cargo modules, their own transports ... I am working on some designs for trucks. They'll be able to drive their own convoys through the gates - or rail push larger platforms. The fleet will be in house personnel after this. Far less risk."

"Is there anything you need to re-run the protocols? Maybe another round of medical testing for the groups that have had it? We can just say that we're being extra careful because of the gastro. Nasty stuff that, and no one wants diarrhea or excessive vomit in micro-grav. Everyone will be OK with that line of reasoning."

I'd start with that. If for no other reason than the gastro, and to make sure no one actually is suffering adversly from the microgravity training." He nodded. "We're fairly low-risk now, but I know some tricks once it comes to later stages that we can do, once we have to worry about cargo. Trusting it to them is unadvised."

"I can check on everyone, I've already memorized most of the data on them all."

"You have anything else that I need to handle up on?

"Sounds good. I think everything else is on track. No cargo gets passed without your say so. Anything critical was installed more than a month ago ... but any of that extra scientific gear ... the portables, the cameras ... maybe run all that through again and check out its history? Maybe do spot inspections of components to be extra careful?"

"When you're done that, we can triple check it for any quantum signatures ... it should be utterly mundane stuff. Just let me know in the next courier run and my prime will dedicate a reserve self. Anything equipment that fails in any way, we just don't take. It's all purely extras for sideline science objectives anyway."

Dan nodded, and the recording had run its course.

Star unclicked the data chip, purged the system to original format, and removed the power module. Out of habit, she filed the chip in its individual Faraday cage pigeon hole and made the manual log entry after flipping the old-school multi-combination locks.

All of those final checks had gone well. Mr.Hawkins had categorically eliminated anything that had a circuit even remotely sophisticated enough to carry a data tag. Everything was in manual mode when not in use - even manual power coupling with no residual capacitance.

As expected, they had been trying to find things to do these last ten hours, during the slack time in the plan. It was an odd sensation. T-minus seventy minutes to final boarding ... This flight would only be a beginning, maybe just a step on the way. What a step though, what an exciting step.

Date and Time: May 25, 2027, 2100 hours Tokyo Time

The voyage had been pleasant, serene and inspiring. Indeed, as a scientific survey mission to "New Hope" its five hours duration had consisted of three hours science and two hours tea party. Now the Hikari Maru slipped smoothly back into earth space and the passengers were disembarking. No technical issues, no security problems, and a beautiful blue green violet world to gaze at from on high. There was something magical about the swaths of violet and the darker greens on New Hope - photosynthesis used slightly different pigments on that world.

ニューホープ (New Hope): A breathable atmosphere, a little more oxygen content than Earth, and little larger and slightly higher gravity - more dense elements in the crust. No detectable sentience, or major animal life ... except early aquatic life in the oceans. One large continent and three smaller ones; a 47/53 on land to water, with oceans much deeper than on Earth. Massive plant life, ranging from large fern-like to a huge variety of what is likely lichen and moss in form. Nothing like trees either, except the largest dozen or so species of giant fern. No major chemical threats evident on the world for humans - normal range background radioactivity, no overabundance of reactive elements, no traces of danger on a wide range of sensor sweeps. Two small moons in farther orbits, so less tidal activity in a more complicated pattern.

187 Light years distant, in a system with six gas giants in outer orbits, a far outer cold planetoid field like the oort cloud but no inner belt, five other smaller rocky worlds ... main sequence star with a slightly blue spectrum ...

Even the name had come out right ... variations on what Puck and Kami had suggested came back from a blind focus panel: New Hope, Nyūhōpu, ニューホープ... it turned out there was a real internationalism trend in the demographics they tested AND English was becoming cool in the 12 to 45 bracket again ... so New Hope really worked in both.

In a few hours time, after medical check outs and some recovery from the three mild cases of micro gravity induced motion sickness, there would be a party!

For now ... the data had been beamed safely to the archives. Selected clips were being dropped around in the op-net, some of the better ones were distributed to the news channels. Just enough to build interest up to the launch of the full feature film ...

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Hello,

Since some people on the trip have erratic internet access or can't post frequently ... I am going to showcase the voyage this way.

Each of you gets to post a media clip post. These are highlight reels, trailer vids, or anything else you can write up that comes from good footage taken on the voyage.

Everything on the voyage was filmed in super-def holo format ... and all of these snippets are the best moments. So have fun!

Feel free to write Star and other NPCs along (Celebs, Nippntai, Academics, Students) in reasonably ...

• 2 weeks later...

Time: 18:30 Tokyo Time

Film Location: Science Command Station, overlaid with mission log voice-over.

Kamiko stands at her station, with her assistant Mayashi.

Science Officer's Log

Synopsis

I have stood on the deck of this lab and seen what no Human has dreamed of seeing, nor has any Nova to my recollection outside of our scout teams. Mayashi Kojima, 17, has been a brilliant asset to the team, even for making the final cut through a contest! She has flown her colors proudly. Her spotting using a ship-board camera of the largest ocean-faring creature of New Hope's oceans was a discovery I didn't think possible with the cameras. Through her brilliance she suggested using a algorithmic compensation to adjust to atmospheric distortions, something she saw in an astronomy documentary of all things! This creature was as large as a super-carrier. And the pod of smaller creatures suggested that the creature and it's species operated similar to the Cetaceans of Earth.

Kamiko adjusts her uniform jacket over her white with blue trim tension-suit as she looks over the report Mayashi wrote up to present to her school. Mayashi's orangish-red pressure suit was much more bulky than Kamiko's tension suit overall.

Through our research we discovered many things about this planet. It would seem it is quite young, it's star, white hot and fresh from a stellar nursery. Although it's size was roughly close to Sol, it's stellar evolutionary track suggests she has barely started.

I wish to name the western ocean of the large continent after Mayashi Kojima somehow for her brilliant discovery, while I am unsure what we will name the other notable major features of every continent and mountain range here.

I look forward to meeting the rest of our guests and crew to discuss the sheer gravity of events.

All of this wouldn't have been possible without the guidance and direction of our captain. As well as his patience.

Dan, our Security Chief has performed his duties with dedication and loyalty.

Our Social Director as always has been a genius, and I look forward to the recreational phase of this mission.

All the others in our crew deserve commendations as well and I hope all are proud of what we accomplished today.

Footage edit to Kamiko and Mayashi looking upon new hope. standing together as silhouettes lit by the planet.

Together, I and Mayashi have learned much about the beauty of our creator's vision and this only wants us to see more. This is the birth of a new age of exploration. One where Metahumanity can truly reach beyond their potential and discover our only limits are those we only thought existed.

I am proud on the dedication plaque on the bridge that a phrase I suggested for our ship's motto has been accepted.

Fortitudo et Scientia - Courage and Science.

We have shown ourselves worthy today to bear that creed.

Chief Science Officer Kamiko Hideyoshi, GNSS Hikari Maru, Concluding Log.

Supplimental: cut and fade to photo of the cetacean-like creature spotted from orbit and it's family pod.

It is suggested that any further exploration of this planet be conducted with as much respect as possible and we try to keep all space junk to a minimum. I would like to head up a committee dedicated to finding ways to minimize our impact before full colonization begins. We are the custodians of a New Hope. Let's do it right.

Time: 15:30 Tokyo Time

Film Location: Main Passenger's Lounge, with Social Director Lt. Hiro Oyami present.

The room is packed with people and a view to Earth and the space beyond. Oyami, a tall low-level nova handsome Japanese, has cleared his throats for the audience's attention.

"I'm sure you would be welcome to see the view as long as you wanted, but we have ever more impressive views. How long has the reach of our eyes gone through space? Very little. But now, the question of how far we can look, and go? Space will truly be the frontier now... in 3.. 2.. 1."

Ship goes to warp, drawing stunned whispers and and excitement among the audience, and intense speculation among the academics. Saturn comes into close view now.

"Congratulations. All aboard this ship are now personally laying eyes on Saturn. Isn't it magnificent? We may not be the first there, but soon, you will get your 'firsts.' The first public trip to another star..."

The first view of New Hope was ... glorious. For the two Bridge officers that were secretly Starseed it wasn't had to emote ... this moment had been saved so it could be shared with friends and associates. During the training, everyone had gotten to know each other quickly. Spending six hours in a cramped mock up of the core-emergency shafts that served as on-board disaster refuges is a great way to become acquainted quickly. Especially because micro-gravity in space made moving around in such close quarters while in earth gravity it had been a fun game of twister.

The entire ships complement gathered round the large view ports and there was a rather nice wine in micro-g decanters handed round. A toast was made, and the truly international group stood taking in a moment of history.

At that point, Captain Yoneda said a few words in Japanese, then in English .. "At this moment in time, humanity in all its flower stands on the brink of so much discovery. Though human eyes have seen the stars for as long as there have been humans, and though human eyes have beheld alien vistas before, this is a first. This moment is the first of its kind that we can all share in, a moment we can take forward as we make history in the age of wonders."

"As we here have discussed, I declare this world New Hope. Let us all stand together, and bring in a new era of prosperity." ... went the toast, and there was cheerful celebration.

Our dedicated young science officer and her impromptu assistant took a few moments here and there to keep scanners working and re-calibrate science instruments during the hour long party. The sceince station even rendered a few superb high magnification videos of fern jungles swaying in the wind, and a school of something that might pass for fish jumping in a a large freshwater lake. Though there were more sights to come, this was what humanity has been waiting for since the earliest dreams of space travel. Even if there had already been telescopic evidence of livable planets, even though everyone aboard realized that some government was quietly sitting on nova run surveys of distant worlds not unlike this one ... the moment was pure. This was a world people could live on, for all humanity to see ... and only the first of thousands upon thousands in the vast reaches of the Galaxy.

Dan and Mariko stood alone at the observation deck. Dan had left the speaking and pontificating to Darrik and Puck. It was more their thing. He'd quietly checked everything else, insuring all the equipment recorded properly, that there were no signals that shouldn't be.

Now just prior to leaving this unspoiled paradise, His more introspective nature had attracted Mari to him, and he smiled. "To think that we have come so far so quickly."

"The power of novas is something to behold Daniel-kun." he looked back to her and smiled. "You're one of the few on earth that calls me by my full name Mariko-Kun"

"You extended the offer to do so, I feel it only proper." She looked to the world below and nodded. "That world holds many possible futures, and your suggestion of me, my invitation to come on this grand adventure, this is the beginning for this place."

"You can see it?"

She nodded. "Good and Ill, the same for all things that involve humanity. It is hazy compared to what insight I commonly get, but even so, I am proud to stand here with you Daniel-kun, and happy that I came."

Star knew of their relationship, such as it had been for the last few years, and had approved. Dan hadn't let it interfere with his duties."

What came next surprised him more. Thank you Daniel."

For someone so traditional as Mariko to use his name without any honorific was a sign of great intimacy and affection. He reached out, took her hand and kissed it lightly. "I am glad to be here with you as well, Mariko."

The two novas looked out at the world, and both couldn't help but think of what bright futures lay before this world, newly claimed for all humanity, both baseline and nova.

• 2 weeks later...

The after party was a tremendous success ... lower on security than either Dan or Star would have liked, but it was a great party.

Officials from the various departments of the Japanese government were invited, as were the GNS press core favorites. Some celebs even managed to catch word, plus there were a large number of backup candidates, people who had washed out but still had enough clearance ....

All in all, the private KTV action went long into the night. Some of these scenes made it out onto the op-net too. People all over the world could see that humanity, as a whole, had reached out for the Stars and made it there safely. Baselines and Novas working together in partnership. The excitement of this day would carry forward, and make a real difference in the hearts and minds of many.

It also left them wanting more. Baseline or Nova ... it left them wanting to explore.

[FIN]

End of Thread

XP: 4 Standard, 4 Baseline, 4 Nova

Special NOTE: Alex and Warren have also been hunting for lifebearing worlds.. Warren hasn't been around a lot as of late, but future explorations into the stars should likely having folks encounter one of them... space is huge, but they have reason to be looking close too...

Archived