Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] GNS - Galactic Navigation Services [FIN]

Darrik nodded, with a smile born of willing friendship. "Oh, sure. Some in my family had been making points about space, taking the pressure off the pressure-cooker of Earth, but you actually seem to be making concrete progress, and that I can get behind. Ok, first thing. Presumably, you'll have a packet in the making or already done for me. Am I just a spokesman, or THE public face of the company? We will need one of the latter soon enough. Japan still doesn't have anything like America's Freedom of Information Act for government and even less transparency for corporations, so we can get away with a largely faceless leadership. Someone still has to be the kambu atsai, admittedly not unlike the Yakuza. Someone of apparent rank sufficient to deal with high ranking government and corporate functionaries on occasion. I CAN do both of those, especially if I copy your cloning power and have the clones take the guises."

"More importantly for security and the conference, do you want me to be baseline or nova? My method of false faces isn't quite shapeshifting and thus is vulnerable to ruin if something damages the facade- but it can cover up pretty much any emission of quantum, and as you said, I can make sure no one will recognize me as a nova, since different eyes will be upon us. Hmm, well, since my copying holds for nearly two weeks at a time, I could have clones do many more things, if you need other launch assistance?"

Translation
Kambu Atsai= executive, in Yakuza terms, the public head, covering for the oyabun and his council of bosses.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'd be happy if you'd be the public face of the company ... exactly right. It would be long term. Japanese perks for corporations make it much easier for me to run here. In so many ways, and the country has been in a golden age since they realized letting Novas spread their wings can be good for everyone."

"From what I know, you can build an alternate ID that is purely Japanese? It can be a Nova, by the way ... just easier. Plus it works in our favour because we both know how to capitalize on being a Nova in this land of opportunity. Yes, a Nova is best. We'll be developing a playbook that we can use for other things too."

"Clones, sure - great idea. You can copy anytime. Actually, if you wanted to copy my azure gates too I'd love to have an extra hand helping out with transits. Makes sense for your clones to have an alternate as a warper. Though the info in the Exalt! file is somewhat vague on it, you should experiment with my effortless power technique as well. Essentially, it allows you to shape fate. You'll want to be cautious though ... you get what you wish for sort of traps are theoretically possible with that one. The power seems intuitive, but it has risks if you are not clear in the methodology of application."

Star and Darrik start to go over the basics, getting him up to speed

... Press Packet ...

"I have a new press packet in the works, its partially done but I've been revising it as I go... distributing a piece at a time. I already have a deal with a few of the top media outlets in Japan. They've already paid their way in, so at conferences and such they get to ask questions in priority. It was an auction, which is unusual in Japanese media ... but the end arrangement is the standard way its done. Bidding and one reserve celeb tickets are paying for everything right now ... costs are low though. We have seventeen celebs who have put down 50 grand each non-refundable for being on ticket consideration. Pocket change for them, but that plus the 220 grand made in the media auction has been ample funding."

"So you know who you'll be dealing with ... before the press conference tomorrow you could even go and make friends with people at the top three outlets. They all have central offices here in Tokyo, I have partial dossiers in that pile over there."

... Legal ...

"Everything is taken care of in the legal department. In triplicate and backwards. The details are extremely detailed, but those hurdles and pretty much every eventuality I could imagine have been flow charted. I'll show you later ... its fairly dull stuff. Those are all taken care of, but really its a pretty simple service to operate. The more contact I have with the government, the more they want this. They want to take the lead in space, as a matter of national pride and economic dominance."

... The Launch ...

"Since you can do baseline, and still use powers, I'd like you to be a passenger on the launch too. You are free to set up the identity, and its not important if it comes out much later that Shadowheart snuck aboard through the contest."

"There is a girl who will be coming along - a good friend, Kamiko. There will be two groups, mostly in separate sections ... one on the bridge and one based in the lounge and the core in case of emergency. Here is the floor plan (she projects from her databand). The only easy way to the bridge is through three other sections, and Two or three of me, posing as Japanese Novas, will be on the bridge with Kami most of the time."

"She's a firecracker sometimes though, and she has to make appearances with the passengers, so while she is with your group I need you to keep her calm. By any non-violent, preferably subtle social means you need to keep her from freaking out. I suspect you are able to do so quite well ... I want her involved, but she's going through tough times. If she made a scene, she'd never forgive herself."

"Thats secondary though, as infiltrators and mules are my primary concern. I've got you as an international contest winner, that leaves three other contest winners. Two from Japan. Two academics, Puck and three other celebs ... both you and Puck will be looking to keep infiltrators from acting, and watching for mules. Mules with implants will likely know something, or have side-effects from something like memory wipes that you both might be able to pick out during training."

"Training will be a three day period before launch where people are moved around, tested, prepped, given interviews, tests ... all in the vein of 'astronaut' training. Of course, a friend of mine will be doing cyber background checks - looking for little things even like missing time from regular schedules and patterns of communication, etc."

"Those who don't make it through training will be told that they don't make the cut this time around - for their safety. This is the way we are denying candidates who are in danger for any reason, so its legitimate."

... General Security ...

... There are a couple of absolute procedures I use for my operations though. No networked computers, and never leave data or computers behind ... always store them off world. Of course, sometimes we need to run simulations and such ...always on computers that are stand alone. If there is a chance they will be networked later on, use your own ram and drives swapped in and then swapped out again. Its much better if the entire computer, and all peripherals are stored off world in secure caches when not in use."

"You'll see computers on my ships - but they are always non-networked portables in Faraday cages. Isolated power supplies. They never serve a control purpose, and all I/O is completely analog except for data storage. Data storage is marked for use with a single computer ... and there are different adapter pin combos that prevent swapping without a physical 'key'. These are dongles, specific hardware - non-programmable, no software - that allows the port to function properly. Data keys, like control keys, are kept by me or another trusted crew member. In your secret ID form as a passenger, for example, we can't give you a data key."

"Of course, if you are going to use telecommunications ... nothing sensitive gets passed that way. Emergencies are different, but we have to keep track of what information is let out in an emergency. All of us have to consider that a breach until proven otherwise."

"Leave as few files as possible. Thats why in all of Exalt! there is only one paper file - ever - of much of what I can do. My enemies know most of it, but they don't all work as a unified group. Plus, there are no records that directly connect me to GNS ... anywhere. Even meta-sensory abilities will have lots of trouble ... keep track of files, cache them securely."

"The other important thing ... and why you would work out as the public face ... is that I don't want GNS to dominate. That's not to say we won't push as hard as we can to help anyone get into space, to do search and rescue, the whole bit. However, I plan to leak things on purpose. There are certain, people we know, who helping others do this a slightly different way."

"How good are your mental defenses, by the way? How much do you want me not to tell you - for plausible deniability?"

"I'd be happy if you'd be the public face of the company ... exactly right. It would be long term. Japanese perks for corporations make it much easier for me to run here. In so many ways, and the country has been in a golden age since they realized letting Novas spread their wings can be good for everyone."

"From what I know, you can build an alternate ID that is purely Japanese? It can be a Nova, by the way ... just easier. Plus it works in our favour because we both know how to capitalize on being a Nova in this land of opportunity. Yes, a Nova is best. We'll be developing a playbook that we can use for other things too."

"Clones, sure - great idea. You can copy anytime. Actually, if you wanted to copy my azure gates too I'd love to have an extra hand helping out with transits. Makes sense for your clones to have an alternate as a warper. Though the info in the Exalt! file is somewhat vague on it, you should experiment with my effortless power technique as well. Essentially, it allows you to shape fate. You'll want to be cautious though ... you get what you wish for sort of traps are theoretically possible with that one. The power seems intuitive, but it has risks if you are not clear in the methodology of application."

"Oh, I certainly appreciate the opportunity to try something new. I'll put the gates on the copying list too. As for the nova identity, a Japanese nova shan't be much of an issue. Obviously though, we'll need a public powerset to project for those who're watching. Obviously, I can cover up any use of social mega-attributes, and undoubtly, it's a logical extension that my persona has nova-intelligence... anything else we should add to the guise though?"

Star and Darrik start to go over the basics, getting him up to speed

... Press Packet ...

"I have a new press packet in the works, its partially done but I've been revising it as I go... distributing a piece at a time. I already have a deal with a few of the top media outlets in Japan. They've already paid their way in, so at conferences and such they get to ask questions in priority. It was an auction, which is unusual in Japanese media ... but the end arrangement is the standard way its done. Bidding and one reserve celeb tickets are paying for everything right now ... costs are low though. We have seventeen celebs who have put down 50 grand each non-refundable for being on ticket consideration. Pocket change for them, but that plus the 220 grand made in the media auction has been ample funding."

"So you know who you'll be dealing with ... before the press conference tomorrow you could even go and make friends with people at the top three outlets. They all have central offices here in Tokyo, I have partial dossiers in that pile over there."

"No doubt." Darrik assured her. "In fact, I'll see if Asahi, Yomiuri, and Manichi's associated press clubs have representatives available for dinner and entertainment at a hostess bar. Under my guise of course."

... Legal ...

"Everything is taken care of in the legal department. In triplicate and backwards. The details are extremely detailed, but those hurdles and pretty much every eventuality I could imagine have been flow charted. I'll show you later ... its fairly dull stuff. Those are all taken care of, but really its a pretty simple service to operate. The more contact I have with the government, the more they want this. They want to take the lead in space, as a matter of national pride and economic dominance."

... The Launch ...

"Since you can do baseline, and still use powers, I'd like you to be a passenger on the launch too. You are free to set up the identity, and its not important if it comes out much later that Shadowheart snuck aboard through the contest."

"There is a girl who will be coming along - a good friend, Kamiko. There will be two groups, mostly in separate sections ... one on the bridge and one based in the lounge and the core in case of emergency. Here is the floor plan (she projects from her databand). The only easy way to the bridge is through three other sections, and Two or three of me, posing as Japanese Novas, will be on the bridge with Kami most of the time."

"She's a firecracker sometimes though, and she has to make appearances with the passengers, so while she is with your group I need you to keep her calm. By any non-violent, preferably subtle social means you need to keep her from freaking out. I suspect you are able to do so quite well ... I want her involved, but she's going through tough times. If she made a scene, she'd never forgive herself."

"Thats secondary though, as infiltrators and mules are my primary concern. I've got you as an international contest winner, that leaves three other contest winners. Two from Japan. Two academics, Puck and three other celebs ... both you and Puck will be looking to keep infiltrators from acting, and watching for mules. Mules with implants will likely know something, or have side-effects from something like memory wipes that you both might be able to pick out during training."

"Training will be a three day period before launch where people are moved around, tested, prepped, given interviews, tests ... all in the vein of 'astronaut' training. Of course, a friend of mine will be doing cyber background checks - looking for little things even like missing time from regular schedules and patterns of communication, etc."

"Those who don't make it through training will be told that they don't make the cut this time around - for their safety. This is the way we are denying candidates who are in danger for any reason, so its legitimate."

"Understood. Although it sounds concerning that from the way you phrase things, Kamiko might make 'firecracker' a complete understatement. Are you sure she'd be suitable for the general command staff?"

... General Security ...

... There are a couple of absolute procedures I use for my operations though. No networked computers, and never leave data or computers behind ... always store them off world. Of course, sometimes we need to run simulations and such ...always on computers that are stand alone. If there is a chance they will be networked later on, use your own ram and drives swapped in and then swapped out again. Its much better if the entire computer, and all peripherals are stored off world in secure caches when not in use."

"You'll see computers on my ships - but they are always non-networked portables in Faraday cages. Isolated power supplies. They never serve a control purpose, and all I/O is completely analog except for data storage. Data storage is marked for use with a single computer ... and there are different adapter pin combos that prevent swapping without a physical 'key'. These are dongles, specific hardware - non-programmable, no software - that allows the port to function properly. Data keys, like control keys, are kept by me or another trusted crew member. In your secret ID form as a passenger, for example, we can't give you a data key."

"Of course, if you are going to use telecommunications ... nothing sensitive gets passed that way. Emergencies are different, but we have to keep track of what information is let out in an emergency. All of us have to consider that a breach until proven otherwise."

"Leave as few files as possible. Thats why in all of Exalt! there is only one paper file - ever - of much of what I can do. My enemies know most of it, but they don't all work as a unified group. Plus, there are no records that directly connect me to GNS ... anywhere. Even meta-sensory abilities will have lots of trouble ... keep track of files, cache them securely."

"The other important thing ... and why you would work out as the public face ... is that I don't want GNS to dominate. That's not to say we won't push as hard as we can to help anyone get into space, to do search and rescue, the whole bit. However, I plan to leak things on purpose. There are certain, people we know, who helping others do this a slightly different way."

"How good are your mental defenses, by the way? How much do you want me not to tell you - for plausible deniability?"

"Moderately strong. Still, I can copy your mental protection along with the other powers- and that would fill up the limits from one person at a time- and the combined protection should be much more sufficient. Security procedures that are not essential for me to know in my business as the contestant winner should be not told to me... Also, for file security and transfer... I do have the shadow pocket with massive storage capacity if holding onto anything as a courier helps..."

"I'll leave the social aspect to you - my moves tend to be, unpredictable on interpersonal levels. You are going to be much better in that department - and I can focus more on the organization. Parties, not truly my thing ... I have to fake it."

"As to the cover persona, we can leave it open for the moment. It allows us to add things as we need them - if the public face is potentially bowing to a mysterious board ... that is typically Zaibatsu..."

"Kamiko, I am working it out. If she passes a battery of exams and profiles right, she'll get the position that suits her. I have high hopes, but the empirical data will determine the course of action. If she's on the bridge with me most of the time, the guests won't be disturbed by any quirks."

"Copy what you need to copy. OK, and don't worry ... you will have everything you need to work with. If something, illogical or suspect happens I'll give you the heads up."

"This shadow pocket ... how much capacity?"

"More than a dozen times the mass of a person. Plenty of room in there." Darrik explained. "Sometimes I joke to myself that if I were possessive, I'd stick Gwen, Agatha, Puck and Infinity in there so that they're all to myself." He added with a self-deprecating grin. "As for your friend, I'll trust your judgment. And yes, the cover... we'll have fun making the analysts tear their hair out figuring him out." He focused his quantum and borrowed from Star at this point. "Copying, done."

"So, can people live in there? With life support maybe? ... "I'm just getting ideas."

"Oh, here's an idea - not related to the pocket - lets go prep whatever clubs or people you want. The press conference is flexible - upto about three days from now. The pre-hang out worked for me last time, and maybe seeing you in operation might be ... like lessons from the master."

"Plus we get to go out for drinks and tasty snack food! Just let me change my clone and get into a baseline disguise." Says Star ...

While the two had made all the arrangements, began adding a number of clones and shapeshifted/quantum disguised themselves as a mixture of minders, staff and the primary Darrik taking on his agreed role as Takayama Yoshi, GNS' charming nova Semnu. A momentarily surprise occurred to Star when Darrik had advised her in advance that there would be only one party, instead of the three she was expecting. But there was a common thread to reporting in Japan, as Darrik pointed out. "I'm basically hosting a party for the local kisha kirabu, the Tokyo press club for journalists covering business and goverment. Indeed, the press club holds great authority over its members- to the point that our highest priority targets, the senior members effectively make collective decisions on how everyone tailors their stories. Get the old darlings on our side, and we have a second layer of control over what gets reported about GNS."

So it was that a prominent hostess bar and resturant in Tokyo was rented out, the owners even more than willing to lower the prices for a major convocation of important media men and novas representing the exciting and entrancing new space travel corporation just booming its presence onto Japan. In between beer, overflowing plates of sushi and big bowls of udon soup, and the seductive grasping and smiles of the bar hostesses, suited luminaries of the city's local press discussed the potentials of the maiden voyage of the GNS starship.

"Of course, Atsugaya-san," Yoshi commented to one of the leading members of the press club, a reporter said to have a fruitful relationship with the Prime Minister personally, "it gladdens me that I am able to humbly speak with yourself and such an impressive corps of journalists. GNS would certainly be honored if many among this kisha kurabu were to be among those present on the launch to see the travel that the world, and Japan above others, has been waiting on for too long."

Such carrots were presented so smoothly that the compliments could only be seen as utterly such, and who would dare suggest any implicit parcel of return favors expected? Darrik of course, did also release the advance tidbits of passengers confirmed to be on the flight. Satanobe Renji, the Todai graduate and world-renowned astronomer and physicist, the Greek novox sensation Euphrosyne, and a few others on the celebrity and academic list were released as generous advance tidbits.

He complimented their university educations, lavishly paid the bills, and to say the least, gave freely. No strings attached, since as Darrik knew, the principle of guilt and debts of honor would resound here even at the start to ensure a favorable leadership and local press in his/GNS' pocket. No intrusions would be tolerated, he knew, and questionable outside investigators trying would certainly be exposed by zealous and protective club members. All in all, a fun night and serious success.

Translation

Semnu = Executive Director

Todai = Tokyo University

One of the Stars, her face lit by the portable computers on board the shuttle, was narrowing the passenger list. Two international contest winners, two Japanese contest winners, two Japanese academics, and four celebrities. Puck and Darrik would be in that number, she was sure ... and now selection was getting close.

Star and Darrik - mostly Darrik - had put on a great press party, and in the mean time the interviews were going well. The seven celebs on the short list had all checked out, their backgrounds and psychology were incompatible with being associated with enemy agents or agencies. Four of them had also made donations to the Reid foundation ahead of time, they really believed in the concept of getting humanity into space. All of those four had a good knowledge of science fiction, and to a lesser some-what non-technical extent of the science.

Portions of the monies had paid for background checks from NovaComm. The Family had contracted them many times before, and Father had trusted them - he'd had ties. Truth be told, Star knew she'd received a last minute break on rates from them too - they had found out who she was, not that they'd said. Someone there liked the ideas behind GNS, and she'd come away with background checks for all candidates in her hands. The four celebs all checked out, but she'd leave the final check to Mr. Hawkins.

The international candidate was much easier. She'd gone to several highschools in the Congo the day before last and personally asked senior classes essay entries ... and today, she had one. The one, and it belonged to a boy who's parent's were university professors in Kinshasa. Rcihard Their family had a long but indirect link to King Ein. His background check was exemplary and the King actively kept foreign intelligence feelers out of his personal circle ... so this young man was safe. Plus a great choice in terms of image, enthusiasm, and politics ... this was the other international contest winner - he'd sitting next to Darrik on the flight. The look on his face when he was told he'd be on the short list was priceless.

Her school visits had also happened in Japan. The list here was much longer, but having high school students as contest winners was genius. They were old enough not to pose any legal problems. It was a hopeful thing for the Japanese to see youth, and see it succeed. Culturally, youth had special qualities - a vibrancy and sense that the next generation would continue with even grander achievements than the last. This fit the contest and GNS very well. All of the short listers ended up being highschool seniors. One of the very helpful factors was how regimented most of the schools are in Japan. Students who want to succeed have to fill their lives with extracurricular activities, even part time jobs have to be approved.

The students that didn't check out were university level. Two of them, both with corporate affiliations that didn't seem to run deep until he NovaComm checks had come in last night. They were both under consideration for employment with bog corps - both aerospace conglomerates. One of them had been coached to make better contest entries than she should have been able to on their own in such short window. Checks on her indicated she had been offered a very nice entry level offer from Mishima-Toko Industrial ... and after a previous rejection. The offer had been made hours after GNS web debut, and her movements there after had been partially by limousine service. Sloppy, last minute work on the part of M-T Industrial.

The other one they caught was trickier. It seemed that Nakamura-Electrox, a major player in all sorts of high science ... even black tech ... already had a cadre of university level agents. The young fellow who had applied was a great candidate, with a winning application ... but NovaComm had scanned some very subtle but detectable cybernetics. Even on checking them, it had been listed on the books as an implant to correct 'congenital cardiac defects'. Everything was legit, except that the implants medical monitor handset was too sophisticated for the model of implant, it was too new - and replacements or lost units would not have the level of technology this little wonder had. More checks revealed his corporate agency.

So, this resulted in a dramatic narrowing of the short list. No candidates above high school age, and no passengers with any implants or nano-medicine what so ever. That still left twenty seven highschool seniors that they had gathered together in two groups - Hotel, meal and Skhinkansen tickets paid for. One group in Osaka, one in Tokyo. Both groups clean according to NovaComm, and both at the whim of a Shadowheart in disguise ...

... all that left Star to narrow down was the academic short list. The universities had shown quite a bit of interest, and NovaComm check hadn't narrowed things down too much at all ...

The one of Darrik here took on the role of Westerner staff, playing the gaijin and relying on the natural inclination of people to ignore the help around any place, to disguise his careful ears and calculating mind in the midst of the gratified teens. Five girls, seven boys. In the midst of spaghetti and tomato sauce- Western food was more popular in Japan than many stereotyped outside of the country- Shadowheart ascertained their motivations and backgrounds...

Not to be sexist- but he'd chosen to elect for females first, ones who didn't have careers in mind. It gave them less investment in spying, and NovaCom should have eliminated those with familial or other ties that would have proved an incentive. So now, he simply observed those five for any flawed traits that might prove problematic. The men were given attention here, but they were already largely on the outs anyway within an hour.

Yuriko, the most sexy and beautiful of the bunch, spent a great deal of time gossiping and talking about everything under the sun, he swore. Perhaps unintentionally, but she would chatter about what she saw, including what possibly was off limits- in a worst case scenario.

Petite Mayashi, a likely good one, he decided. Polite, intelligent, sci-fi aficionado. Nothing that worryingly jumped up about her.

Tokiki... a nova-phile to beat out all nova-philes, and Darrik came to the conclusion that at the core, she had come to see some grand nova endeavor, and would peek on places and people she shouldn't out of sheer fanhood.

Myoshi and Iri were satisfactory, but Mayashi seemed the only one who truly seemed the most likely to be inspired by the experience of seeing new worlds and the expanse of space. Darrik let out a hidden lynx grin, for not only had he found the right candidate here, but the surprise at Tokyo was about to begin...

Here, the Darrik present had arranged for a more... trying sort of test. The name of the game, he had judged in this more vibrant and thrumming event- unlike the sedate dinner arranged for the party in Osaka, this was tailored more to the preferences of the participants here- making this one a waivers and such required. In the Park Hyatt ballroom, the teens, fifteen in all, more males than women in a nine to six ratio-

Were about to get a spectacle Japan would be talking about soon enough. He'd been watching from a distance, gauging them... but the final test was about to occur as an MC told the audience to prepare for the hired entertainer of the night. The teens eagerly awaited their nova performer....

And Shadowheart appeared, with a pole already set up in the stage, and his eufiber shirt peeled away to leave a sculpture and utterly hot chest presented for their hormonal fantasies. To the strains of the old Britney Spears "If You Seek Amy", he sang those words as if daring the youths to come up and strip the rest off him.

A seriously sultry and wicked bout of pole-dancing added to the effect, lips, hips, ass- every sexual body part presented for maximum appeal and lust. There were more than a few cameras, he knew that would have this presentation on the web undoubtedly, and he'd calibrated his quantum effect to appear as such on there.

After "Radar" and "Piece of Me", he left, but ensured it would slip out where his room number was. Almost everyone showed up, bar a few, and though Darrik ensured discretion to protect his fan club from ill publicity, they would NOT be on the short list. Ikkaku and Toshiro Yamagushi, both twin brothers did not show, though they had definitely been attracted. It was Darrik's feeling then that their resistance to temptation would equally extend to refusing offers of spying.

Not that... he reflected later, his admirers had not gotten the short end of the stick by any means- if their pleasured dazed rapture was anything to go by.

And there would be other shows elsewhere, to prevent this from being conspicuous...

Everything was going well. The ships, they were ready. The passengers would be selected, and handling them for pre-flight training was all arranged. In fact, multiple sets of reservations under psuedonyms had been made ... all secure and spycraft style, to be cancelled at the last moment. Training resources we ready, largely it would be old school hardcopy with holography, projection, and props for visual and training aides. All the legal and liability protections were put in place - in triplicate where possible.

Of course, all of this was prepared well ahead of the public schedule ... at a minimum 72 hours slack time in the critical path of the project plan. This morning Shadowheart - in the guise of the long term GNS Senior Vice President in charge of Public Relations ... would be holding the primary press conference, with a rousing speech about the future of humanity in space - complete with a quote by the late Professor Hakwing. Then an explanation of GNS economic and social development strategy, and the first invitation for donations. He'd talk about search and rescue, about the peaceful development of space, and about opening the exploration of other planets up to anyone who could afford a properly equipped expedition truck.

Last, but not least, he'd talk about the Grand Launch, the first public trip to the stars. He'd remind everyone that it wasn't too late to put in an application for the contest ... and he'd thank the Japanese Government for their support and guidance in selecting such excellent scientific observers for the flight. Of course, he'd not be able to say who was going ... only that the list was getting short. Keep them wanting more.

Of course, Darrik would improvise a bit - but he'd been briefed on the key points that must be. All the rest, that would be part of his style ... and he certainly did have style.

The Press had been clamoring for a look at things ... and so far they'd received only a tantalizing series of breadcrumbs. Enough to make them happy, but keep them wanting more. Now, it was time for the full presentation ... and even after this, all the planning, all the psychology ... would keep them wanting more.

The mounting anticipation in the press was building up to a fever pitch when Takayama Yoshi (Shadowheart in quantum guise, of course) mounted the podium to speak for Galactic Navigation Services. With a polite smile, he began, but with a surprisingly grave tenor to his voice.

"We live in a world of tensions. A fragile ecosystem that takes great measures to keep safe and supportive of human life. Geo-political rivalries that not half a century ago filled the world with the worry we could be all gone the next day. All equally sufficient to back the words of the late great Professor Hawking, 'Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.' Furthermore the learned professor noted right after those words, that there is a strong probability of other sentient life existing elsewhere in this galaxy. All of us at GNS believe that such an interaction and the observation of the vastness of the galaxy, will bring a much needed perspective to humanity."

"Galactic Navigation Services is here to support this great social change by means of economic facilitation. We afford very affordably priced services for everything from warp gates to technical consultation. Our proceeds will fund R&D, exploration, development of human resources- literally a Service to Help Society Navigate the Galaxy. We welcome competition, in fact, we're going to make it possible for small business to national governments and higher to vie in this field. We're creating one of the most important industries in human development, since the advent of computers!"

"How will this be possible? Warp gates. With GNS' warp capabilities, everyone can go to space, without a dependency on over-sized, expensive rocket ships. All that's needed is a big, suitably equipped truck with readily available materials, easily accessible to small companies and individuals of reasonable means. Just drive through a warp gate, and then you're building a steel-plate shelter on the surface of Mars. Or even in another solar system. That simple."

"However, in addition we are also inviting charitable donations to GNS and the Reid Foundation. Because you know that what GNS does is an investment in all of our futures- economically, scientifically, socially, culturally."

"We at Galactic Navigation Services have seen the opportunity existing in space, and we want it to be open to everyone to grasp."

"Now, I understand there has been a great deal of excitement about our Grand Launch, taking a lucky few on the first interstellar voyage. There still is time to put in applications for our four-slot contest where absolutely anyone can be chosen. Nevertheless, I advise you hurry, our list is getting narrowed down. I also would like, on behalf of GNS, to thank the Japanese Government for their gracious support and sagacious guidance in appointing the best scientific experts possible to observe our first flight. And thanks to all those who are behind us, who believe in the destiny of ours or our descendants- that all sentient beings, from the most spectacular Nova to the humble hard working laborer, have a future that spans the galaxy. Our endeavour is to ensure that future comes to pass."

The press conference had been a rousing success ... a model of Japanese media machine efficiency. After the amazing speech Q and A flowed smoothly, All the checklist objectives were achieved, and by comparing secondary coverage the correlations were holding. The media plan was working, people who would be interested in GNS were getting the message. Furthermore, they were being motivated.

The contest was still open, and submissions were flooding in ... but the selections had already been narrowed down. There was an automated review procedure in place for entries after this point ... but it wasn't much more than an effort at a minimum standard of fairness. It was just too risky, from a safety point of view, to let the vast majority of these contestant win. The big file of background check information on the very small pool of 60 candidates ... a pool already searched, screened, selected, subjected to divination even ... was ready for Mr. Hawkins. Yes, there were holes in the process ... small ones, but Novas could slip in. In theory, even though it would be quite difficult.

The finalists also had no idea at this point, aside from making it past the first round ... but from their perspective they were among thousands of remaining entries.

The next step was to bring Darrik, as himself, Puck, Kamiko and Mr. Hawkins together on Mars. Kami should be cooled down, and she'd be good for chief science officer. It wasn't as much of a leadership role right now ... but as a Lieutenant Commander she could make Captain with a steady effort. Her, Sonjia, and Mr. Hawkins would be waiting for them ... and another Star was giving lifts to her two Exalt! friends, and Dr. Loshe if she wanted to come.

This might have to be a short meeting though, as Puck had mentioned he was deep in preparations for another set of moves ... no matter, the important thing was to get everyone together. Next Stop ... Mars.

Feel Free
Feel free to write your own openers the Mars scene ... All the Exalt crew have portal(s) from Star ... and Dan / Kamiko you should also feel free to set the stage for the morning Mars visit.

Kamiko jogged on the flatter portions near the canyon where her shelter was being used as a shelter. She couldn't bare to have herself reside in the same place Dan and Sonja was. As she jogged, she felt a momentary pressure, as if someone was watching. But that was fleeting. Perhaps it was Starseed coming in and her Quantum signature, as massive as it was, was coming in. She runs back to the canyon and jumps. Forming a paper airplane, she recreates for a moment the Death Star trench scene and screams along until she needs to stop near the campsite.

She lands, and steps off, collecting her paper and brushing off her even more dusty surplus uniform.

She grabs her white beret and puts it on... well more of a dusty, rusted color with all the martian sand starting to stain it. She stands at attention, waiting for Star to arrive, standing in front of her shelter. Clasped behind her back was the clipboard.

When the azure gate opened, Darrik stepped out first, an arm around Puck and fingers playing with his hair as Star followed. "...Just saying that I would have wanted to try out the gate again. And later, I want to go take a space jaunt, see what you two saw for myself."

"Then copy my energy form and the teleport power." Puck suggested, leaning against Darrik as they walked. "If you want the full experience."

Darrik nodded and copied the powers immediately. "Done. Once the meeting's over, interstellar road trip." He looked rather impressed to be on Mars to see the shelters. "I'm glad to see that those words about inexpensive expeditions do bear out. Not a qualified scientist, but I was curious internally about those points used in my speech."

Dan and Sonja had already finished breakfast, each dressed as they should, having cleaned up for this visit. "You ready?"

"Yes Daddy."

"Good." He led her outside, and nodded to Kamiko. "I see you're ready for inspection."

He noted the arrival of others, instantly recognizing them as second generation novas, like pretty much everyone save him and Mary it seemed now.

Kamiko turned to Dan. "Finally finished breakfast? I had completed a full marathon by that point." Kamiko said. "Jogged it all out as ordered."

She scratched her head. The run helped tremendously, but why did he insist.

"In any case, since I noted the unique appearance of Star's gates, that suggests Starseed sent you here." Kamiko says to the newcomers. "I am Kamiko Hideyoshi. While my role in GNS is currently being addressed, it will hopefully be a good position."

She looks over to Dan. "Still have those rocks from a little while ago? The ones I delivered? I think She'll enjoy seeing them."

A Star stepped through the gate after Darrik and Puck, while next to the camp site a small but dangerous looking shuttle de-cloaked. From its angular and crystalline shell, a more familiar organic looking landing ramp and hatch configuration visibly opened. A second Star, notably wearing a red badge, disembarked.

Red Badge Star had a large case of hard copy folios in one hand, and a bag with a dozen of the familiar secrecy serpents slung messenger style to the other side.

"Hello again everyone!" she yelled, compensating for the thin martian atmosphere - for most, even the shouted volume was a little faint so everyone gathered closer round the campsite table and chairs. Star gestured for people to take a seat while introducing everyone around. Puck and Darrik were introduced as good friends from Exalt!, Dan and Sonjia were introduced by name and Dan as Security Chief. Kamiko ... as a good friend and, candidate for Science Officer ... "which is early into today's agenda" Star said with a smile and a wink.

With everyone now close, Red Badge Star took over and said "OK, thanks for coming everyone. Still hoping Shaman is en route. Like you Puck, he's got a celebrity seat if he wants it. Seems he's been quite busy in the Kingdom, and another me had some trouble reaching him I think."

"While we give the other me and Shaman a few more minutes lets put on our snakes ... Oh, how was the night on Mars? I see the shelter looks to have held up perfectly ... any issues? Is it a comfortable stay?"

Kamiko smiled. "Really, Star?" Actually thinking of it made her even happier. She would be working AND be discovering. "Oh my... Star... I... Thank you."

She bows profusely. "I won't fail you, Star. You can count on that."

"I did not stay in the shelter, as per Dan's consultation I took the liberty to partake in some physical activity, namely a combination of jogging, collecting samples, and generally sight-seeing to clear my head."

note
Spending 1 WP... Dan's usual way of distracting Kami-chan... laps. Lots of them.

"I have some extra samples I collected as well as notes on the structure and variety on this clipboard." Kamiko says, handing it to her. "There is... also an important missive on the cover sheet. I am sure you will recognise it."

The cover sheet was Var's question.

To know my parent's death is to know what happens when a organ important to function is removed from the body. They say the best way to quantify the soul is to test it is to lose something of worth. I honestly can say I know I have a soul because it was ripped from me that day. I never got to see the bodies. I never got to say goodbye. As soon as I knew I was sent to Tokyo to stay with the Hideyoshi family. I was at the funeral, but all that was there was two pictures photos clad in black ribbon and flowers. I could remember feeling dead numb... seeing there was so few mourners. I felt my Mother and Father had no friends outside of Dan-Sensei, Doryoku, Long... and some strange woman who took it harder than any of us.

I never knew what death was until that day. I never had a pet, I never knew any grandparents or uncles. I was shielded from the world in what felt like a ivory tower that on that day was shattered.

What I felt, was cold, Star.

There was some days in the first year where I thought I no longer had a soul. I wore black, I lost myself in books, I followed my interests. All along I felt as if I was a automaton. Something I felt I could never get back was lost.

I don't know how I've clawed back, but it is obvious I haven't come back fully yet.

"It is only fair I complete the test, failure or not."

There was still some hurt in her eyes. She wanted to be the Captain. This was her ship it felt and now she was robbed of that dream. Not by Star, but by her own shortcomings.

"I hope it is to your standard, Star."

Puck kissed Darrik on the neck, as chastely as he could in deference to the group of strangers and serious nature of the meeting, before slipping his arm from around the shadow master's hips and nodding as everyone was introduced. He was dressed in his usual blacks with studded leather accents and today his hair was up in red-pointed spikes as a homage to the Red Planet they were meeting on. That it made him and Darrik look like a matched pair for the day hadn't missed his notice either.

He murmured the appropriate social noises in the round of names and positions, as easily heard by the others as if they were siting on a patio on the next planet over. He coiled one of Star's snakes around his upper arm and took his seat at the table. "Nice to meet you all," he said congenially. "So, Shaman's joining us? Interesting. Good to have a representative of the Congo along, I think. Who else is on the guest list so far for the trip?"

Darrik gave his introductions and pleasantries, and as he began to coil the snake around his arm, he noticed something lying in the sand. On quicker focused inspection, a pair of glasses. "Somebody drop glasses?" He casually inquired, scooping them up to give to the claimer.

"Oh... was looking around for those... I dropped them before you arrived... I was distracted on landing from a circuit of the area flying about. Been memorizing every inch of this site."

She puts her glasses on, and then...

*SQUEAL!*

"Umm, umm, umm.... No... you're on this trip too... oohhhhh...."

Kamiko twirls her hair. "Star... I just remembered, I'm being such a poor guest... I'll go get some water for... our guests. Yah. One moment."

She walks by Dan, pointing at him sternly. "I'm not in that mode, Dan. Get your mind out of the Gutter. The Jog got me focussed."

She giggles as she quickly goes inside her shelter to actually grab some water.

She steps out with a jug and a few mars-worthy covered glasses a mere couple of moments later. "Here we go! Water, Glasses, and..."

She sees Shadowheart again. "Good company."

She looks over to Puck. "Ah, and you are Puck. I am indeed Kamiko Hideyoshi. And I'm glad Star finally figured my position out with this."

Kamiko puts on her serpent in her usual manner. "Love these things... and I got ideas. But I digress."

She brushes herself off a bit more trying to get her surplus sailor uniform to at least have less martian dust on it. Dress whites just don't work on red soil.

For a second Kamiko lets her mind drift. She bites her tongue when she imagines something improper involving Shadowheart then continues with her work.

Darrik had a hint of a smile there, recognizing a fangirl when he saw one. Kamiko didn't look bad, and she seemed to, if he heard right, working through the issues Star had referenced. And the biting of the tongue told the story as plain as day. She wanted him, it was clear. Of course, Mr. Hawkins was present, and if he was an adult with the right to have a say, be it a chaperone or guardian, well- that had to be considered.

Overpoweringly though, the fact was... business. Although his intimacy with Puck had led him to suspect the younger nova would freely mix pleasure in. Damn, but that led to some irrelevant and inappropriate thoughts involving Puck on the table and Kamiko bent- Focus, Darrik.

Star took the paper from Kami, and smiled warmly "Don't worry. This is just the beginning. Lots of adventure and opportunity ahead."

Replying to Puck ..." We have some finalists which are still to be narrowed down. I am leaving the final check to Mr. Hawkins ... but the people I have on roster are yourself and Shaman in the celeb seats openly. Darrik will be posing as a mysterious Nova celeb, a Japanese fellow who's presence has certain specific effects for Nihonjin public perceptions. The other celeb seat should be fairly easy to fill ... you can check out appendix F3 for the short list. Just take a file from the case, they are all the same".

... She grinned a devilish grin as Kamiko crushed on Shadowheart ...

As everyone picked up their hard-copies, she continued "The contest winners, that is appendix F5. The shot list for academics are under G2. We will have myself as three separate bridge crew, all Japanese male Novas. Kamiko will be Science Officer, and in charge of the portable computers ... Mr. Hawkins as Security, with a hand from Horizon if Shaman brings him along. Horizon seems to check out, and extra muscle is always good."

"Thank you all for coming, by the way. I see that everyone has snakes, so now I can say ... I will also be in a cloaked vessel nearby. Please don't say that to anyone else, I will pass it on to Shaman once he gets here. Its not written down, not to be recorded, not been repeated, nada. I say it to reassure you that my full efforts will be dedicated to keeping you all in as safe an environment as possible. Plus, there will be training for ship-board emergency. As passengers, most of it is how to take shelter in the ship's core, what to do with life support, etc. Its a ship designed with safety in mind, even if all of me were eliminated somehow."

"At present, I am not strongly tied to GNS as Starseed. Though a very in depth investigation would tie me to the organization after a while ... that's not how its going to look. The truth and image are two entirely different things ... and this first trip is all about image. Its about producing a documentary that will inspire for a long time to come - something historic. That is one reason why I am essentially stacking the deck with trusted friends who are all the most capable people I know in various respects. Puck and Darrik, you are social machines ... you can control the scene, make it dramatic, make it historical and eminently watchable ... Mr. Hawkins is the best security and looks the part too. Kamiko, you know the science we are going to do. Its not very difficult, but its important we come back with decent survey data. Also, you will be able to capture images and clips that will be cut into the film during post-production. Shots of things humanity has never before seen ... historical shots every bit as powerful as those NASA pics and clips from the Apollo era."

"I've talked about Japan ... and it is the focus of the plan, but the counter weight is the Congo. The idea behind GNS sets up an industry, it builds dreams, it builds a market. With Shaman on board, and with the Congo being high profile the Japanese will instantly realize that they cannot be complacent. The same goes for Congolese businesses ... and the rest of the world will follow because they don't want to be left in the dust. This gets people out to space. Not just through GNS, but in general ... this starts the ground swell. The better this piece turns out, the better it is for every sentient being on Earth."

"Most of you are already familiar with various aspects on the plan ... but take your time. Skim the material now, the executive summary is quite long but it include point forms. If anyone has a question, ask ... but one at a time please. I've talked things over with Shaman so he's in the know on most things ...we can cover ground before he arrives."

"Most importantly, if you have a question that isn't covered by the material ... ask. Don't hold back."

Please Read the Thread
The material provided in character mirrors what has been posted in this thread ... in character questions that are identical to questions, etc. asked before will be responded to with a "Oh, good question ... check page 142 of your file." sort of response.

This is to keep the reader sane, by not mentioning the same topics many times.

"Actually, once I memorize the rules and regulations for the ship, crew, and passengers, outside of my role as Science Officer I really don't have much to say. Although I advise strongly you familiarize yourself with the operations for the vacuum suits the passengers will be wearing for the voyage so if there are any malfunctions or quetions they can be answered immediately."

Kamiko sighs. "I would assume, then, that the arrangements for Sonja are already settled. She does have a safe place to be for a day, Dan?"

She adjusts herself. "I have to state that while Sonja would love being on this trip... the danger level is too great for me to stomach a child onboard. Even with all of us here."

Dan looked at them and shook his head. "I have one more person I can ask to take care of her at this point, all of the others are unable."

He looked to Darrik and Star. "No disrespect intended, but is it wise to have Darrik pretend to be a Japanese buisnessman? Assuming we go with my previous reccomendation, and fill the final empty celebrity seat with a member of Nippontai, 4 of which have privately voiced interest in going, The risk of the deception being discovered. I took the liberty of already going over, and making some preliminary suggestions. I would like the chance to interview these people before I clear them, but we could ostensibly forgoe that if we need to with enough of us present."

"I agree with Dan," Puck nodded at the older nova. "And Darrik could still easily come along as a member of the crew. Much less risk of his exposure or of social backlash from Japan if the ruse is discovered."

He smiled a Kamiko, a little bit of wickedness playing at the corners of his lips, "I can also act as an emergency evacuation plan. I can attune everyone coming along and move them back to Earth if there is an issue. Suits are a good idea, especially if we want to put a jaunt outside into the itinerary, but they can take precious time to get on if we have some sort of failure on the ship. For that matter, with your permission Star, I'd could attune the ship and its passengers before we take off and simply maintain that through the voyage as another safety backup." He shrugged elegantly, "Just an idea and an offer."

His grin turned irrevocably boyish and he leaned his head on Darrik's shoulder, murmuring, "Powers are just awesome!"

Kamiko adjusts her glasses, keeping to herself the disapproval of this forming in her mind. That and the lax dicipline around their powers. Puck's idea though redeems him, Kamiko also notes that all of this is Star's plan, and she's not going to do anything that wasn't in the best interest of the project.

"I think this can be forgiven, and Puck was it... yes, Puck... The offer to be back-up life support is a noble offer. I have every reason to commend that."

She smiles. "We have a supply of recently surplus launch suits that NASA and JAXA had nothing to use them for, but they were in practically mint condition. While I am dissapointed the tension suits that are being planned aren't being fully rolled out, just to crew, they are designed to go well with the uniform."

She smiles. "Oh, one sec, I'm going to change to mine. Just so everyone knows what to expect. Been so busy this morning I forgot."

"And No, Star, there isn't a problem. I'm honestly going to sho them what I've had whipped up."

She smiles and runs into her shelter to change. Leaving a paper crane on the table that was formed almost like her thoughts caused it to happen. She was happy. The magic was back.

"Yes, filling the seat with a member of Nippontai would be good. The reason I was shying away from it was that it involves more last minute security work on your end Mr. Hawkins. If you are fine with handling the extra process, then I am very much in agreeance. Darrik, as a member of the crew you would have an unquestionable secret ID ... and perhaps you would be even more effective in ensuring the Nihonjin-compatibly-factor of the proceeding. Perhaps ... position of Social Director. A handsome young Nova lieutenant ... the rest of the crew except Kamiko will ostensibly be 'ciphered' with 'working identities' ... yes, it fits."

"If you are up for handling the extra screening Mr. Hawkins..."

Star considers the dilemma of Sonjia, smiling and saying to her "Sonjia. If I knew it was safe, I would love to have you along on the ship. There is a safe option though ... you could ride with me in the cloaked shuttle. You'd get a great view of the trip even though things might be quieter ... it would only be you and me there."

Saying to both of them, mostly Dan "Its an option. I understand how difficult a situation it is. In the ride-along case you know Sonjia would be with me, the original primary me ... and the personelle risk for that scenario is reduced below the level of signifigance. Given our discussion yesterday, there is a small but significant chance of an infiltrator being on board the main flight."

"Puck, there is a special request that has come to my attenion. With my current skill set, I am finding the scouting of destinations slow going. The probability of finding that a planetary body in or near the hab zone is a viable, shirt-sleeve habitable world is approximately 1 in 1000 given conditions in this area of the galaxy. With your skills, it occured to me you might be able to take a look ... find a world much more easily than I. Of course, I have plenty of great destinations to fall back on. Things we already know about, marvelous sights of great scientific interest and industrial potential like the Epsilon Endarii ... but what would really make this historic is a new home. Even if its not exactly right, an ocena world with archipelagos or a desert world where oassies would dot magnificient dune seas ... as long as it was somewhere normal people could go to live ..."

"Please do Kamiko ... oh, and so long as you and Mr. Hawkins have full uniforms and suits it will be OK. So we only need two ... Myself and Darrik can shape shift to the right look. There is approximately 4,276,900 Yen discretionary funds available from the GNS financing and media deal revenues right now if you need a cash injection to speed the work along. I'd sort of hoped you could put those funds to some additional cameras, my UV spectrum cams are OK ... but just OK. They'll work well enough for oribtal survey, but we could do better at the shorter wavelengths. If you can put it on credit, the media and contract deals I'm in now will bear fruit in about a week. There will be ample credit line then."

Kamiko peeks out from the open airlock. She decided to just leave it open to hear the conversation and to conserve power. "Not to worry. I can call a contact I have with Tokyo University to get temporary lending of most of the equipment. I would rather spend the extra discretionary funding to increase our emergency equipment supply. First aid kits, maybe some suit patching quipment, things like that." She ducks back inside to continue undressing behind a modesty screen where the collapsible shower is. "Now my contact would love to have some sort of orbital camera to survey the extrasolar planet we are going to explore. He's made a micro-sattelite that we could deploy and retrive fairly easily. Guy's a electronics wiz and whipped this together to be the size of a medium-sized beach-ball. Pretty well self contained."

As she gets dressed, she goes silent for a moment, making it seem she was thinking. She slips on a shiny, black bodysuit she had hidden in her supply bag before putting on the tension suit over it. She secretly hooks a small tube from a waste air line to a valve on the black suit, before sealing the tension suit up itself, perfectly hiding the black suit. She then puts her uniform jacket on over all of that and decides to step out. The white with blue trim suit matched the white with blue trim on the collar and body jacket. The jacket seemed to be reminicent of the uniform jackets many of the characters wore in the old "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross" series. It was sufficiently old enough where alot of the uniform design was easily copied, but Kamiko decided to make the collars more naval than the concept design.

When she steps out, she makes sure to demonstrate how easy it was to deploy the suit. She pulls the clear hood up and over and sealed in a matter of moments. Pressurization was fast too. Tension style vacuum suits didn't need much to function. A big plus in their design. She activates a speaker on the suit. "There we go... I timed the donning procedure and it took roughly 45 seconds to put the suit on. I think if I actually hustled I could knock the time down to about 20. Takes me about that long to put an anti-exposure suit on for cold water emergencies, and that's what I'm basing my benchmark on. I guess I'm not up to my usual efficiency since I'm so very exited."

She grabs the files again. "Star, would I be so paranoid to ask that we should stay away from having passengers step on to the planet. I want to avoid any scenario that may introduce a foreign organism unto the ship. Also, I think it's fair to say that we will need spectrometers for analysing the atmosphere of the planet that are of the highest grade. Again, my contact can make some moves. Perhaps what I'm thinking of will be installed on the mini-sattelite we'll deploy."

She adjusts her jacket. "Also outside of getting some proper rank pins for the jacket... what'cha think, everyone?"

Her smile showed an earnest enthusiasm. Of course she was more happy to see Shadowheart, but this was like christmas and her birthday all rolled into one.

Star smiles inwardly at Kami-chan showing her figure for her Shadow-Heart ... cheee, heee ... but good for her. Hope she gets him. Or would that be Darrik who is doing the getting? He's a great catch anyway ... maybe a double date them, and Puck ... mmmm ..hhhhmmm ... Puck. As she thought about Puck, she had to control her features, maintain composure ... and focus ...

"Orbital survey only - we are not equipped for planet-side because we don't know conditions there until orbital survey data is analysed. In five hours it will be more than enough work, plus we have to pace it so that there is some play time and time for Kodak moments too. Sure, if you can get equipment, that is fine ... but everything passes through Mr. Hawkins' approval process. A major part of the security is that people are coming through training naked. We've turned down people with cosmetic implants, or that need medication ... any of that stuff can be doctored. They take nothing of their own along ... unless approved."

Darrik nodded while hiding his little grin at Kamiko's attempt to show off for him. "I can pull all that off, no sweat. The one thing I should point out, is that it isn't shapeshifting. More like putting on a thin layer of quantum disguise over, which can't be attuned... and is very susceptible to damage. Just a warning if it may matter. Of course, I can swap out and copy your shapeshifting set instead on launch day. That should work more effectively. So, for everyone's note... I can copy some of your powers, serving as a backup there too. Social Director means I'll be babysitting the passengers with Puck then?"

Dan nodded. "I have one person I know shouldn't mind too much, having to take care of Sonja for a day." He looked at her. "She's got plenty of experience."

"As far as Nippontai, considering Kamiko's adopted mother is a member in good standing, and that I myself know three of those who have expressed interest in this well enough to vouch for them. I will see who wants to come the most, and with any luck have that name for you soon."

"I can get us the cameras and what not easy enough. I know a number of people who can help discreetly, and if necessary, I can simply get them through Jinbocho again." Evidently the ties Kamiko could bring to the table hadn't been made clear.

The display by Kamiko made him sigh, he'd get star to send them back to tokyo if things got too out of hand, With Darrik and Puck, this he knew was a distinct possibility if they so chose.

Kamiko sees she might be busted. Seems her efforts were... inadequate against two of the most observant Novas in the galaxy. "They saw the suit... dammit... was gonna have a little fun later. Maybe if I distract them with more useful stuff I could at least play a shell game long enough to get back home." she thinks.

She adjusts her glasses after taking off her helmet again through the embarassment.

"You mean Akihabara, Dan. Can't make a camera out of books." Kamiko caught his slip-up. Jinbocho was a place for bookworms. Akihabara is her adopted mother's lair. "In fact I know of three particular electronics stores you can visit that might have everything needed. Having spare parts sounds like a smart plan in general Dan. Good you thought of it."

She "seriouses up" and adjusts her suit. "Now there is another girl I know In Jinbocho. A really skilled photographer. She might be able to point me to a couple good camera stores that carry like... everything. Finding a UV sensitive camera to cannibalize should be a cinch. Just taking the parts and making a UV detectible is going to be a challenge. It'd be literally built in a cave, with scraps."

She giggles. "My personal electronic skills are about as average as any person, mind you, but I have picked up some kitbashing techniques from the great Doryoku herself... " She winks. "Great having a genius for a mum." Her English accent changed to something more british than american... Seems her talented tongue knew some things she didn't realize.

She claps her hands. "So... when do we begin the astronaut training?" She says with a smile. "And are we going to be using Russia's or America's training facilities before any of the training simulations?"

"With Japan's close ties to the ESA and NASA, Maybe we could get time with the European Space Agency's facility?"

Puck grinned at Kamiko and Darrik, then nodded to Star and gave her a wink. "Let's find out, shall we? I'm sure Darrik can fill me in if I miss anything critical right now." So saying, he stood and moved out of the conversational zone of the group. He flashed into a shimmering silver-golden glow that pooled itself onto the Martian surface as he sent his mind racing outward. After a moment, the shimmer disappeared with a softly interjected whisper to Star. "I'll be back soon. I need to jump to get a better vantage point."

Less than a minute later the light appeared again, forming into a humanoid form in Puck's abandoned chair and then solidifying into the man himself. He grinned at Star, full of boyish excitement. "I found one!" He quickly typed in coordinates onto a star map program he pulled up on his OpPhone and held it out to Star. "There. It's got a breathable atmosphere, a little more oxygen content than Earth, and little larger and slightly higher gravity, too. There wasn't any sentience there that I could sense. There's one large continent and three smaller ones; closer to a 50/50 on land to water, but the oceans seem much deeper than on Earth. I didn't see any animals to speak of, just masses of plants. Most of them looked fairly fern-like. I didn't see anything like trees either, though the fern-plants got pretty tall. That's all I've got for a first fly-by. It's the closest habitable planet I could find. I can go look again in a bit, but I think that's our best bet."

He grinned at the group, "So, who wants to name it? We get to, right?"

Looking for pretty planets!
[Malachite] 5:09 pm: Quantum Awareness, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 10+1+1+4+2+2+5+3+5+3+2+3+4+7+10+7+3+6+3: 81

[Malachite] 5:10 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 2d10: 10+10: 20

Malachite *rolls* 2d10: 6+2: 8

12 successes, meaning a range of 1.9 x 10^14 kilometers, or out to the edge of the Solar System in this jump.

6 qp spent.

[Malachite] 5:16 pm: QA/Transmit roll, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 8+4+2+4+6+1+1+2+8+8+8+7+6+9+4+7+9+9+9: 112

16 successes, 1.9 x 10^18 kilometer range. Able to scout around the nearest stars and jump to one.

12 total qp spent.

[Malachite] 5:19 pm: QA/Transmit roll, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 1+7+5+9+1+4+7+6+2+6+3+6+10+10+10+3+4+6+5: 105

[Malachite] 5:20 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 3d10: 6+2+6: 14

12 successes, another 1.9 x 10^14, looking again and jumping to another vantage point, always moving towards the most Earth-like sections he can find and trending inward on the spiral arm.

18 qp total spent.

[Malachite] 5:23 pm: QA/Transit roll, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 10+3+7+5+2+5+1+10+2+4+9+1+9+9+10+8+10+3+7: 115

[Malachite] 5:23 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 4d10: 4+4+6+2: 16

18 successes, 1.9 x 10^20 range, which is pretty much all of the galaxy. He's not jumping this time, just looking. At this point I'm going to make Investigation rolls for him to spot a habitable world. With a 1:1000 ratio, I'm going to say that he needs 100 successes to find a planet (it's a bloody rare thing). The rolls will determine how long it takes.

16 qp spent total. 3 rounds (9 seconds) have passed.

[Malachite] 5:27 pm: Investigation roll, megas last, 3 auto successes from Mega-Per 8:

Malachite *rolls* 18d10: 10+2+7+9+4+8+4+3+9+6+8+1+5+10+9+4+9+9: 117

[Malachite] 5:27 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 2d10: 9+2: 11

20 successes, 4 rounds/12 seconds

[Malachite] 5:30 pm: Investigation roll, megas last, 3 auto successes from Mega-Per 8:

Malachite *rolls* 18d10: 9+6+10+4+7+7+10+2+9+4+8+4+7+10+5+4+7+1: 114

[Malachite] 5:31 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 3d10: 3+4+7: 14

21 successes, 41 total, 5 rounds/15 seconds

[Malachite] 5:33 pm: Investigation roll, megas last, 3 auto successes from Mega-Per 8:

Malachite *rolls* 18d10: 10+2+2+7+10+7+6+2+1+1+6+6+8+3+7+4+10+7: 99

[Malachite] 5:33 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 3d10: 7+6+9: 22

19 successes, 60 total, 6 rounds/18 seconds

[Malachite] 5:36 pm: Investigation roll, megas last, 3 auto successes from Mega-Per 8:

Malachite *rolls* 18d10: 5+10+1+8+9+8+1+8+3+4+5+1+1+6+7+1+8+1: 87

[Malachite] 5:36 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 1d10: 7: 7

13 successes, 73 total, 7 rounds/ 21 seconds

[Malachite] 5:37 pm: Investigation roll, megas last, 3 auto successes from Mega-Per 8:

Malachite *rolls* 18d10: 2+5+10+10+6+2+2+3+1+2+1+8+7+1+2+4+9+8: 83

[Malachite] 5:37 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 2d10: 3+2: 5

13 successes, 86 successes, 8 rounds/24 seconds

[Malachite] 5:39 pm: Investigation roll, megas last, 3 auto successes from Mega-Per 8:

Malachite *rolls* 18d10: 1+10+5+6+7+3+8+7+10+2+2+2+8+8+2+10+6+1: 98

[Malachite] 5:39 pm: Intuitive Quality:

Malachite *rolls* 3d10: 9+9+10: 28

Malachite *rolls* 1d10: 10: 10

Malachite *rolls* 1d10: 1: 1

23 successes, 109 successes, 9 rounds/27 seconds. Puck's found one! Now, to get back...

[Malachite] 5:42 pm: QA/Transit roll, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 2+8+6+6+3+9+6+4+7+5+8+6+3+6+7+5+8+10+5: 114

11 successes, 1.9 x 10^13 kilometer jump towards home. No quality pop, as he knows where he's going and how to get there.

22 qp total spent, 10 rounds/30 seconds.

[Malachite] 5:44 pm: QA/Transit roll, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 2+7+3+5+5+5+3+3+4+6+2+4+7+10+8+5+4+8+1: 92

10 successes, 1.9 x 10^12 kilometer jump.

28 qp total spent, 11 rounds/33 seconds.

[Malachite] 5:46 pm: QA/Transit roll, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 1+8+10+7+1+5+3+7+3+1+7+4+6+6+2+3+10+4+9: 97

10 successes, 1.9 x 10 ^12 kilometer jump.

34 qp spent, 12 rounds/36 seconds.

[Malachite] 5:47 pm: QA/Transit roll, last are megas:

Malachite *rolls* 19d10: 3+9+10+4+4+4+1+10+3+1+8+9+7+3+8+10+9+7+9: 119

19 successes, 1.9 x 10^21 kilometer jump home.

40 qp spent, 13 rounds/39 seconds.

85/125 qp

...I didn't actually think getting 100 successes would go that quick.

"We really should. Name it I mean ..." Star said, excitedly as she examined the coordinates. "Not bad, about 187 light years."

That was just amazing thought Star ... "I think something in Japanese is a given. What though? Something inspiring ... I'd never even thought about the name. I just had it in mind as destination one. Which won't do."

Archived