Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] GNS - Galactic Navigation Services [FIN]

Puck turned after a moment of taking in probably the most beautiful "land"scape he'd ever seen and smiled at Star. "Thank you, Star." He pulled the original Star into a hug, "This place is amazing." He grinned impishly, his sour mood mostly banished by where he was, "And I've never been to space before, so thanks for that first, too."

He leaned up against the energy field that acted as walls for Star's abode and watched her with a speculative gaze, "I'd like to think that you just wanted to show off, but I'm getting to know you and there's this whole Galatic Navigation Services thing floating about." He teased her gently, his sensual nature always coloring his words, "So, I'm thinking you want more than just a bit of company outside of yourselves for the day. What's up?"

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At that point, with a little motion - Puck and the two newly arrived Stars began to drift in micro gravity ... at which point the Stars, used to this, fetched magnetic slippers for everyone. The slippers came with little waist tether - easy to hold on to if Puck wanted to play in micro-gravity first.

"Well, I always like the company ... but you are right. Recognized my work on GNS did you? hehe ..." says Starseed prime as the other Stars begin to brew some tea and set out the 'tea service'.

Not all of the ship is energy, now that Puck looks around it seems that there are more conventional machines and furnishings that line the interior. The lounge itself is elegantly appointed with luxurious antiques - all reproduced in metal, ceramic and glass - reproduced down to details like the wood grain in the metal of the desk, or the classic french floral patterns in the drapes woven from incredibly fine chain mail.

There were all sorts of unfamiliar but immediately obvious functional features too, like hand and foot holds or the tea service which was coming out - magnetic with the table and trays, with elegant brass and glass micro-gravity pump-cups.

"Lets enjoy some tea, and I will tell you what I have been up to for a while ..."

.... Star 'pours' for Puck with a pump-cup-tea-pot transfer and the other Stars finish the service with some pastries. The pastries are a bit tortilla like in their consistency, but good. Not anywhere near as good as the Exalt! restaurant, but the concept behind the dainties was obvious: these did not make crumbs. Crumbs in micro-gravity would be incredibly annoying.

"... Space travel is one of the only long term strategies for the mutual survival of the entire Human spectrum. In the best case scenario, we can keep the political and racial tensions on Earth to a low simmer. With hard work, Earth can remain at its current state - near a dangerous tipping point of widespread racial conflict."

She takes a sip of tea

"This is an assessment many have made, even decades ago - and much as we might fight against it, if we remain limited to one little blue-green world the danger remains. So I have been working out GNS. No doubt you've seen it - a simple, efficient commercial model. It has every chance of doing well, and its just bringing what others have been doing for a long time into the public sphere."

"My goal, however, is that people catch the dream of space travel. People have been inward looking since N-Day. Baselines are focused on Novas, and even Novas themselves are navel-gazers for the most part. Everyone, including most Novas, have Nova-mania. But the Japanese are different. They have Nova mania for sure, more than most, but it isn't because of Novas. The Japanese have a mania about the future - about progress. Whether it be technology, or business, or having the society richest in Novas ... they remain a people who dream. They look to the future and try to achieve it."

"So GNS is designed to fire that spirit - it operates out of Japan. Japan still sets a standard for 'cool' and 'innovative' on the world stage ... so the fire will spread. With a little help."

"Together, if we are careful and don't show our hands ... we can do some social engineering. I need a group, a group inspired by the dream of everyone living and working and exploring space. This 'Free Space Movement' can't be directly connected to me ... it has to be a 'beloved rival' of people who believe that space should be open to everyone ... who believe that GNS and other corporations should have to offer up reasonable rates. Or perhaps that such gate services should be offered by non-profits."

"Politically, this group should believe in the right to free determination. So that nations can't dictate who is allowed to go into space and who is not. There are aspects of existing legislation in ostensibly 'free' countries that prevent this. The goal is to get people thinking someone is trying to keep them here - and get them fired up about their right to go where they please. Many people thinking about this sort of issue will develop the resolve to actually go into space."

"Then we have a full range of psycho-social and socio-economic factors that drive people of every class, every nation, to do this. Even early on, this forces nations and organization who are the enemy of Novas to add one more item to their laundry lists - but its a big one: they would be trying to oppose a world wide sentiment, eventually a movement and numerous corporations to boot."

"That reduces tension on Earth ... gives us more breathing room."

Now that things were calm Star cleaned up the mess and righted the table.

Clearly some sort of measure to enhance calm on bord ship was going to be required. Outbursts are also anathema in Japanese culture...this required serious thought.

"So...thoughts on security?" Star said in an open fashion.

Mars

"Wait wait... I'll clean that up..." Kamiko says, helping Star with the cleanup. She sees Dan watching her and she knows... just knows.

"Star... that was a Vesuvius wating to go off. I hope you keep in mind my rage was towards an individual, not a group. Whoever it was... No I can't linger on that, that will only impede my progress."

Now Kamiko was the cold one. "As for security I can think of no one finer than Dan... trust me, I know. That and to be honest... I'd rather like him as my second in command... I can trust him and he's a voice of responsibility I can count on."

She looks at her hand and sees her knuckles were bleeding a little. "Dammit... I fought Mars and Mars won..."

"Star... we will have to sort things about my parents... I... Don't think I have properly dealt with it." She says, pulling out a first aid kit and a couple antiseptic wipes from a pouch on the large metal suitcase she brought with her. "But... I can accept other Terats on board, I promise... As long as it's not Geryon or someone like that." She says laughing.

"I have a specific individual in mind, and if everything goes well then he will be just who we need. I think I may have found a member of the Teragen who is particularly enlightened, and non-violent in general. He has become a friend, and genuinely beleives that all of humanity should strive to be the best they can be. His presence means we are not excluding the Teragen, but also not alienating anyone on the other side of any 'Baseline / Nova' divide that they perceive to exist.

"Likewise, I don't wish to exclude Utopia but I think that with the formal ties to the Japanese government and the alignment with Japanese values we don't really need a formal Utopian. International involvement and association with a sovereign state will provide the touch of 'orthodoxy' and sense of working with the 'establishment' that we need to balance everything in that regard."

As to Kamiko's deep seated issue, Star nods. "I think I may have something that helps with your issue in the short term. I have to see if I can work it out though ... my idea is originally a security-oriented concept. If I can work it out, we will be conducting the flight under a sort of damping field. A quantum field that dampens certain negative emotions, enhances the harmony of those within field - perhaps even increases their efficiency as a team."

"In the long term, we should get you into therapy. I have the training, but the social dynamics of us having been friends first somewhat preclude me taking on the role of a therapist. Of course, I am always here for support ... but therapy takes time. I think we may have to implement that after the voyage."

"The other thing that really helped me, not to say I am not burdened by my own similar issue, but meditation is incredibly effective. Learning to centre yourself, learning to clear your mind and let reason win out over undisciplined emotion. That method I could pass on to you - though in such things one is never a teacher ... just another traveller on the road who shows another the way."

Mars... Triumphant?

"I have been using too many escapes, I wager... reading, losing myself in hobbies... all the while I am losing the fact I had to deal."

She cleans her wounds. "Logic alone I think can't help with this. Sad thing is some things I know I can't speak of to any ordinary therapist either. We have to watch who we speak to now."

She sprays on a compound that acts like a liquid bandage, the sting makes her wince. "Ugh... always hated that part... done and done." She says, tossing everything she used into a sealable bag.

"Perhaps this is the stingy-owwie part of my process... And I have to deal with a couple bad habits."

She snaps to with a realization... "Hay... we don't need any mood altering fields and what-not, Starseed. It's one thing to say you want to prevent any outside interferance yet you want to control everything? Sorry... I could accept this in an emergency, but for standard operation? No."

For all that happened, her reservations this time she expressed in a rather calm, adult manner.

"Who said anything about controlling everything? And why do you imply that control is a negative? Please keep your language and thoughts specific and clear ... and do not put words in my mouth. What I said was it would inhibit tendencies towards violence, certain negative emotions ... and increase harmony, synergy."

"... do you intend to be violent or intentionally plan on loosing control?"

"... would you prefer that an infiltrator, for example, be permitted to instigate violence?"

".. and lastly, what objection to you have to a measure than increases the harmony of a group? Do you dislike harmony?"

Asked Star, searching for some logical reason ... thinking Why would a rational individual would not accept such a situation ... maybe she likes the attention she gets when she acts out?

Starseed seems genuinely puzzled at Kamiko's reaction, and waits for a reply to her questions.

Kamiko sighs. "None of that was my intent. The thought of having my emotions supressed is... anathema... towards free will. If it got out that you were using a mood altering power or device or something on the crew and passengers, any host of a number of human rights groups, Project Utopia not excluded, would shut us down in a heart beat. We have to take the consideration that no matter how safe we feel our operations are there may be those that want to run counter to our agenda and will use anything to destroy your work."

"But you missed one thing I did agree with you on, and that is such a contrivance is in fact useful in an emergency. Like using tear gas or pepper spray. I wouldn't be above using such a thing in the defense of the crew."

"Star... You ask for people to be machines... predictable... static. Sometimes it is the interaction of a group that creates greatness. We're not talking about two or three people but a full crew with a common purpose to the greater good. They would be honored to serve on any of your ships, Star. The GNS standard is something people can rally around in these times."

She sighs. "And no, I do not intend to be intentionally violent or lose control."

"I did not miss your earlier statement - despite the thin atmosphere my hearing is not impaired. Nor is my cognition. Nor do I ask for people to be machines, or static ..."

"Where is it that you get these thoughts about what I want or think?" ... "Frankly, it is beginning to be an undesirable trend that you assume you know what I think without evidence to support it. You conclusions to date have been inaccurate, to say the least. Likely because you jump to them so quickly. Please ... stop doing that. If you want to know what I think, ask me. Don't just assume."

"In fact, I consider the current situation something of a minor emergency. I am concerned for you."

"Plus I am not so certain about your point of something mood altering being shut down. There are a whole range of mood altering pharmaceuticals that are regularly prescribed in full compliance with the law. Of course, we would have to secure consent. Baseline astronauts were and are regularly prescribed sedatives to manage stress, aids for sleep, and keep anti-psychotics on hand during voyages. But I do see your point in this case, it could be trouble as in a trumped up charge."

Kamiko sighs and shakes her head.

"At least everyone going into this would be aware they will have a psychotropic power being used onboard."

She reads Star's reactions. "I am only stating things based on what I understand of what you are saying, nothing more."

"As for my violent reaction, now that I have a moment to think I know exactly why it came up. When I tried opening a warp of my own I couldn't get back home easily... in fact not at all is the correct term. I felt trapped and forced to confront something more painful than I wanted to deal with. That is where the explosion came from."

"Now... all that needs to be said is that if after what I said still leaves doubt as to my stability, open a warp now. I won't waste your time anymore."

Puck sipped at his tea and thought for several moments. "Could I have something to write with, please?"

One of the Star clones pushed off into a different room of the ship and returned with a notebook and a mechanical pencil; Puck arranged himself comfortably with the notebook propped on one knee and began to write with quick, precise strokes.

The Paracara Proclimation

Paracar - n. Sanskrit, emancipation forever, to arrive at the opposite shore

As the children of Earth take their first collective steps into the greater universe, toddling steps away from the nursery of warmth and life that Earth has granted us, it becomes of momentous importance to take those lessons learned in the infancy of our existence and move beyond the mistakes, misconceptions, and petty cruelties best left to the playgrounds of children and nationalistic politics. To this end is a proclamation made, a clarion call to the inspiration and freedom that the stars have always inspired in the children of Earth:

• No world, no star, no galaxy is the sole province of any national power of Earth. The universe is unbounded and vast; let new ways be forged by those explorers brave enough to voyage into the Void.
  • Travel between worlds should be considered an inalienable right of life: human, nova, or any other sentient creatures encountered, created, or discovered. To this end, all starships and fleets should be created and operated by non-profit, politically and socially neutral organizations.
  • Any passenger willing to pay or work for their passage to another world will be accommodated as space on ships and travel routes permit.

The three simple principles are the foundations of universal freedom, of true self-determination and individual manifest destiny. Come, pioneers and visionaries, explorers and dreamers! The gateways to the stars, to the unending wonders of the universe, have been unlocked! Paracara!

He looked it over for a moment, then shrugged and handed it to Star-prime. "Just a rough draft, but something essentially along those lines?" He pursed him lips, "As for a 'beloved rival', I have several thoughts. Exalt! members could found the movement, but as something not exclusive to Exalt!. It would be tied to you only in that you belong to an organization that also has members that belong to the Paracara Movement - or whatever it will end up being called. I know several members with the skills and personalities that would jump at the chance to set this up and spread it across Earth. And also ensure that the movement has roots in colonies that are started as well, just to keep the ideal supported at each port of call. I could speak to some others I know, some philanthropists, baseline and nova, that would be willing to lend their financial and social support to the movement." He frowned and sighed, "Though as much as I think Raoul and some of the Casa's would love to be a part of this, I'd say to avoid too much Teragen involvement at the start. There's too much bad blood and bloody history there. It would very much taint the organization from the start."

He held up a finger and smiled as another thought struck him, "Although, whatever end document or communication you want to release to kick off the movement, I could ask Synapse if he'd be willing to viral it out across all electronic media on the planet - except for emergency signals, of course - all at once. He'd probably get a kick out of it. What do you think so far?"

"Now... all that needs to be said is that if after what I said still leaves doubt as to my stability, open a warp now. I won't waste your time anymore."

"You want to leave if I do not accept that your deep rooted issue is now a non-issue? You resorted to violence and reflexively used a quantum power - without thinking. As a friend, Kamiko, I am concerned."

"If were to accept that ultimatum, would you be happy about that?"

"Maybe we have had enough for today. Perhaps it would be good if you had some time to think."

"I ... just don't think I am helping you. I am trying to help, but I do not see that my efforts are having positive effect."

"No... they're not."

Kamiko sits back in a re-righted chair. "This whole thing's gone down the tubes."

"We... or at least I... should go further with this after some cooling off time. Perhaps there's more rage I'm acting on than I am seeing... I cannot see how I can be productive today in this manner. Unless you'd rather want me to stick around on Mars, I am thinking a portal home would suffice. I am prepared for an extended stay here to cool off if need be. There's alot here I've not seen yet."

"Nothing is down to tubes yet. However, we do have to find a way to stabilize your emotions some how."

"Looking on the bright side ... If you don't get into any conversations on 'danger' topics - that takes care of much of what we have discovered here today. That has been a very practical step forward in the mission planning."

"I have no doubt you will deal with all of this in time. You have many people who care about you, including me. My only thought problem thus far has been how to develop a short term solution ... in the next nine days."

"If you see what I mean?"

Mars...

"I will find myself a way, Star."

"Speaking of finding a way, couldja open a portal? I... need to pick up some food. I didn't think I'd be spending a few days here."

Star nods, and opens one right to her room. "You got 3 minutes. Take only what you need and any changes of clothes and necessary hygene considerations."

"Easily done."

Starseed opens the portal and Kamiko rushes through, grabbing the MREs out of a box she kept in her closet. Then she decides to grab her favorite pajamas, a surplus JMSDF seaman's dress uniform, and then grabs some spare sheets of paper and a wrapped pink package for sonja and a white package for Star she realized she forgot. She walks back to her room with a minute to spare, grabbing a blue knapsack that still had some stuff in it from her congo river run. She had put in a solar water heater for a portable shower in it, and she manages to drag over a couple large bottles (size you'd see with a large water cooler) of water and stuffs them into the knapsack. She hikes the knapsack and everything before dashing quickly into her closet for a black box and hustles back through the warp gate before it closed.

"Time?"

"3 seconds left... I said only what you needed."

"Yes... and I had plenty of time for creature comforts. And a few gifts."

"We're going to have to work on your ability to follow orders, recruit."

"Understood..." She grabs a white package and hands it to Starseed. "That and I forgot a couple things. One for Sonja and one for you. I think you can appreciate this, Star."

Starseed opens her package and it reveals a book. "A Japanese - English dictionary. Pretty helpful if Japanese is your second language. Since you've been wanting to polish your skill, I think this might prove handy."

She then hands the pink package to Sonja. "Although I think it would take a couple years for the outfit to properly fit, I think you might like this anyways, but don't open it here, wait until you get home. You'll grow into it easily."

She whispers in Dan's ear. "It's a spare uniform like I'm wearing... as far as I'm concerned she's an honorary officer." She says with a giggle.

"Okay Star... time I showed you this... this metal case at least."

She opens it after moving it about 3 meters from Star and flicking a switch. The sound of a motor running is heard, followed by what looks like white plastic swelling out of the opened large suitcase. "This, is a portable shelter... a prototype I 'borrowed' from my mom's storage room. She lets me do such things as long as I return them undamaged. It can house 4 easily, and the case has a built in oxygen generator system. It's like a rebreather, except it uses a synthetic process like a plant to convert carbon dioxide to oxygen."

Obvious solar panels line the circular dome roof of the shelter, and what looks like a zippered version of a airlock door is in the front. "The airlock door was a nice touch. The person entering or exiting only has to touch a few icons on the flexible OLED display in the airlock chamber to pressurize or depressurize the chamber."

She smiles as she thumps the shelter. "While we probably don't need this, I like having it if only to give my node a full rest period, and... it makes a good base camp."

Once the shelter's walls fully inflate and the inner room fully pressurizes, she smiles as she shuffles her belongings inside the airlock. "I'm going to get situated... shouldn't take me long. I'll be right back out."

"An impressive shelter Kami-chan, you should be safe in these canyons - but be wary of the walls in the area that begins approximately 1.9 kilometers to the south." Star says, inspecting the portable habitat.

"The composition of the walls changes to a sedimentary composition with high levels of Jarosite. The formations cleave easily, and the walls are somewhat unstable. All of the other canyons and ravines in this area are fine though, and great for camping because a satellite would have to be doing a specific fly over to spot you. The same sheltering features also keep the dust down, and maybe you can practice your field geology if you feel inclined."

"... in the medium term, we should get you space worthy. The trick is to become adaptable enough - in incremental training - so that more and more extreme environments don't deplete your internal energy. A somewhat lengthy but straight forward training regimen will accomplish that. Shorter training methods can be ... painful, and not recommended."

"Maybe you'll even join me when I start making my expeditions to the solar corona-sphere."

Saying to Dan, "Mr. Hawkins, since you have had a chance to review the draft of the security plan ... I would appreciate any extra measures, questions, and so forth. We should get down to specifics."

Mars

"Star... not needed... I just like creature comforts... call me spoiled. But if you want to test my spaceworthyness I'm game for that." She says with a shrug. "Sudden decompression is... probably very painful though... hopefully there's none of that." An idea crosses her mind and she looks completely refreshed mentally. "You know, if you trained me to know if there was a slow depressurization... noticing when my ability to adapt is slowly creeping in... that would be a useful skill to have on ship."

She smiles. "Let's just get past square one. One step at a time. At the very least this is just a good place to set up shop."

She smiles and bows before walking back into her temproary residence. "I will leave you two to your business."

In the shelter...

After she walks into her shelter she starts inflating her bed as she looks out through a small flexible and clear eufiber and plastic window. "I'm so sorry... Star..."

As the motor runs on the bed she sits down on the cold plastic floor. "Dammit Kamiko... you just effed that up... they're probably talking about how crazy you are."

"I love it ... Paracara, it rolls off the tongue." said Star to Puck. "I think its very - Bodhi - or at least fits. Looking forward to the next lesson by the way. A really incredible language. You make it effortless of learn too, but if its not too hard for baselines I'd like to have GNS staff - once there is a GNS staff - to learn it. Even the basics would be beneficial, useful for intergrating mixed Nova and Baseline operation."

Star was still looking over the proclamation, it was a good first draft for sure. Principle based, very good - definitely - a modern governance paradigm would incorporate this well.

"Its best, I think if we build outwards in. Lets not make Exalt! the first people to react, just like GNS won't react right away - not until some Paracara group makes a statement that includes them. If synapse could maybe get this into the hands of the Deadalus league ... and arrange it so that they get attention as a 'go to' group a couple of spots above GNS on a 'suggested list' of who to turn to to 'get involved' in space travel. They won't turn away the influx, and the influx into their organization cements these ideas into their organizational norms."

"I have been meaning to contact the DL ... thus far, I have not. So that means any critical analysis of the Paracara movement would legitimately show that it was something that had its genesis away from you and / or I ... and we just happen to agree and support the ideals."

"It also allows me to play a mixed strategy. I can 'soften' GNS toward these principles by doing public things along the way like refusing personal compensation - being a GNS volunteer and donating any corporate pay or gains right back to the movement as grants. The Reid Foundation is a contest based model, like the really fantastic X-prizes that ran back round the 2010s. While doing that, I can also keep enough corporate feel to make the Japanese national interests happy - they like the corporate model, and it does have good qualities. That then sets up beloved rivals, keeping GNS and Paracara at arms length."

"In a week or so, I also want some plans of space craft - easy, almost DIY models I have been drafting for years to work along with gates - to be 'hacked' from GNS corporate. Number one, it gives people the impression that GNS has a history. There are thousands of hours of work in those files ... and since GNS hasn't been working any corporate contracts yet it doesn't loose us anything. Days after that I would release a statement about the 'Paracara' files, and say that there had been no need to hack the files, as they were on a 'low secruity' server awaiting release as 'gift to humanity' ... a how-to manual on space travel. GNS will then release a polished version of an actual op-book, including most .. but not all of the files and some extra material I wrote later on, after the leaked files. There are those who will say, oh - GNS is making a nice save, but there are equally many who will say ... oh, very nice. That very minor touch of conflict and corporate 'history' building is what I want. It makes GNS convincingly real as a 'player' among the more established organizations like the Daedalus League."

"Several versions of the files and finsihed book are, of course, ready to go. If Synapse is in, he could just take it from where I have it now ... I Imagine he is one of *the* pros at timing and media-management on the op-net."

Dan looked at Star. "I have, and I have to say, I have concerns."

"Please do not take these personally, I'm just looking at things trying to see if I can find any tiny flaw that could prove ruinous."

"The first issue, it all depends on you, on your power for virtually everything. Yes there are backups, but you're asking baselines for a great deal of trust not just in GNS, but in you personally. In addition to that, your actual age could prove a factor. You're not an adult, and while the concept may not hold the same weight for novas, especially those like you, I assure you it will with many baselines. That is simply how they are conditioned."

"I see the lack of advanced tech, and it does make sense from several standpoints, but modern humanity is a creature of comfort, virtually demanding instant access to whatever they desire. The way things are, I don't see that being an option."

"I would make sure that whoever does your security screening is properly resistant to social manipulation, as well as psychic powers. It may prove somewhat difficult, but this will cut down alot of issues in the screening process. You will have enemies, and there will be attempts at sabotage, sadly."

The first three sojourns will be the most dangerous, if things run true."

Dan looked at Star. "I have, and I have to say, I have concerns."

"Please do not take these personally, I'm just looking at things trying to see if I can find any tiny flaw that could prove ruinous."

"Of course, we are speaking on a professional level. I do hope you realize that I have several lifetimes of experience in my fields, and am more qualified than most to speak on many topics. This is accomplished by living parallel lives and integrating the life experience into one whole - within a mind that cannot be described in baseline terms due to differences in structure and cognitive process. You are not speaking with a conventional seventeen-year-three-hundred-forty-two-point-seven-four-three-day old being."

"The first issue, it all depends on you, on your power for virtually everything. Yes there are backups, but you're asking baselines for a great deal of trust not just in GNS, but in you personally. In addition to that, your actual age could prove a factor. You're not an adult, and while the concept may not hold the same weight for novas, especially those like you, I assure you it will with many baselines. That is simply how they are conditioned."

"True, but I will be in disguise as three different individuals. All of them Japanese, and men. The Full Admiral will be a wizened looking Nova, salt and pepper even. This was a late addition to the plan, and perhaps didn't make it into these print outs. Apologies. Your point is well taken though, especially in Japanese culture a young woman earns much less respect. Even Kamiko will be serving a subordinate role with an Admiral on board. The Japanese will point to their acceptance of a woman captain, because she is a Nova ... and because in this case it does not actually require accepting anything. The Japanese psyche is thus placated - further analysis supports this, but rest assured I have the training to understand the minds and cultures."

"I see the lack of advanced tech, and it does make sense from several standpoints, but modern humanity is a creature of comfort, virtually demanding instant access to whatever they desire. The way things are, I don't see that being an option."

"Some things that are buried in the file... 'advanced' is a very loaded term. My designs are superior in terms of what they do compared with much of what you see in the world around you. Plus it is space rated tech, which has to last - it has to stand up. Perhaps, as a cyberkentic you are biased by the lack of software? It is a design feature. First world militaries still use such systems as backups ... no software means no software glitches, and no hacking. The use of vacuum tubes, the same - all of my tech can survive incredibly irradiated and magnetically contaminated conditions while still functioning ... the same cannot be said of most 'advanced' tech ... which is why it takes space programs so long to space-rate tech."

"Space and engineering professionals will not question that paradigm, its taken to an extreme here - but the idea is not new."

"The creature comforts are there. It isn't the Ritz Carlton Tokyo, but it is quite comfortable. More so than most military submarines ... and to have it too comfortable would be incongruous. This is real space exploration, people expect it to look like it. That essentially means living in submariner or space station conditions. These ships have that, plus a lounge you won't find on any space station built by a world government. Not yet anyway" She smiles.

"What comforts, specifically, are you concerned about? If there is a lack I have overlooked ..."

"I would make sure that whoever does your security screening is properly resistant to social manipulation, as well as psychic powers. It may prove somewhat difficult, but this will cut down alot of issues in the screening process. You will have enemies, and there will be attempts at sabotage, sadly."

The first three sojourns will be the most dangerous, if things run true."

"I was hoping you would mastermind the screening this time. I am asking some friends who have social powers to help, you'd be in charge of the process. I have a basic process prepared, and it will suffice if you can't free up the time..."

"One trip at a time. Only the first mission is open to people who I don't know. Because it's a publicity stunt, a grand opening. After this, its pre-screened permanent crew on my ships, and renting gates out to other people who build ships according to the public stats."

"The only reason I am doing this one such as it is, is because any response to it will be very rushed. It would consititue a novel mission for one of the powers ... there hasn't been time to build up a big array of enemies. Call this first voyage - taking advantage of surprise factor."

"I would be honored to help. I'm not criticizing the accomplishment,I'm simply stating as you did that people expect this to look and feel a certain way. This will appeal to almost every member of the human race, you have to plan for that as well. Some will expect even more than what you have done, because this is done by a nova. They expect things we create to be wondrously complex, and have a certain futuristic feel. Looking at what you've shown me, in some ways this will have a "retro" feel, I admit appeals to me."

He shook his head. "I may seem abit pessimistic, but I tend to plan for the worst case so when things go well it's a pleasant surprise."

He nodded. "I'd call it a sneak attack, but that gives the idea this underhanded in some way. Perhaps a better term would be preemptive strike. You're restaking humanity's claim on space, for the benefit of not one nation but all. Japan of course will feel some proprietary interest, and of course nationalist pride. That's to be expected, and can certainly earn you allies within the Government there."

He nodded. "I trust you've already scouted out a suitable locale to properly capture the grandeur and wonder of space for this first voyage?"

"allow me to suggest two additions to the itenerary, from experience. Beholding Jupiter up close, say from Ganymede is a marvelous spectacle. Secondly, and more traditional perhaps, Allowing those on this first trip to see Earth rise from behind the moon, There's something poetic in returning to such a view."

"As far as initial passengers, I'd specify that you only want those who have not already gone to space. This is to properly capture the sense of awe, because such people will be truly awed by what they see and experience. Granted, I would say if Buzz Aldrin wishes to make this trip, he should be among those who come. What greater endorsement can you get, than from one of the most famous baseline astronauts to live?"

He shrugged and nodded, "Sure. We can move lessons to the Grand Salon and just have your crew sit in with the new Exalt! members. While it's nice right now to have a sort of exclusive language for Exalt!, Bodhi was never intended to be something held secret. I'll make sure the rooms get shifted once I get back, and you can just send your crew members by as you have time."

Puck ran his thumb along his chin as he thought. "How about college groups? We could release the declaration across universities only, instead of the world. It would give students a reason to raise up the banner on their own and make it look like it must have originated somewhere in the academic sphere. That would give two layers of removal between us and the actual grass-roots founders of what would become the movement. Little pushes here and there could make sure that a coherent leadership forms, so it doesn't just disperse once the initial enthusiasm wears off and people realize that it'll take work to get what they want."

He leaned back and watched the view as the lights twinkled and shifted along the belt, "I have to admit, other than having heard the name once or twice before, I don't really know anything about the Deadalus League. You trust these people to work the way you want, in regards to your ultimate goals?"

"Thats a great idea. Campuses across the world, and that gives us lynch pins to influence ... faculty and staff, decision makers at the university level are clearly identifiable ... a very good idea."

"Of course, I want Exalt! with full access to whatever colonies and voyages there are. The paradigm for travel is still gate based, so even ships like this aren't going to be the people movers ... these are for research, for deep space operations ... since its just so much easier to just open a gate directly between 'populated' points like earth, colonies, stations. ... that sort of thing."

"I can really see Exalt! having a positive influence on the galactic human culture beyond its numbers. The values are positive ones, and they should be able to help keeping healthy social norms in colonies, on stations. Having a decent proportion of Exalt! members in a colony would really give a boost to the psychological well beings of the entire population. Life in space will be challenging, and seeing people who live to rise up and meet challenges head on will be good. Even sets a positive example for people back on earth ... where colony news will be examined."

Star finsihed her tea,and said warmly "Hee hee, listen to me. You know, when I am around you I become a bit of a dreamer. It was really good fortune that I met you, and I didn't even shape fate that day."

"The Deadlus League ... I know they are pretty loosely organized. Some of them will have their own way, a corporate way ... but from my research I know they are very unlikely to be associated with Utopia or world governments. Plus they have been at it for going on three decades, so they are likely to set an example of working in space sustainably."

"But Paracara ... that really does sound well and true ... it's for everyone right? My thought with the D.L. was to give Novas who are already out there, doing their quiet operations, a stimulus for making things more public. It would actually be great if it took off so much that GNS is just one option among many - that a flood of warpers start working, even if its just setting up colony towns in the belt, or on Mars where its relatively easy."

"Actually, Mars and the belt are important because they are way points. Most warpers can't do distances like Jupiter or Saturn in one go, it might take them ten or more steps. So colony towns and stations are a natural expression, like the rail road towns of the American wild west."

"I left GNS with a model that's very easily run ... actually I figured that since I was going to be 'setting up' in Japan - leading some sort of planetside life again - I would dedicate most of my terrestrial time to Exalt!. Especially in Japan, as regional lead, I think me working in Exalt! is the most effective way for me to make a positive contribution to greater society. On that note ... we should go over that new operational profile for the branch facility soon. Have you had a chance to go over the status report I put in yesterday?" she said, getting up ...

"By the way - would you like a tour?" she gestured sweepingly to the rest of the ship.

Puck stood with her, nodding. "Yeah, I read it over pretty much as soon as I got it. A tour sounds lovely, but..."

He hesitated slightly, "There was something I wanted to talk to you about; ask for your help really. I've been working on figuring out the extent of what happened to me - that change I mentioned happened to me right before you joined Exalt! - and when you made me ghostly that first night we went to the Rainbow Room....there was something there for me. Like an echo or..." He sighed, "I don't even have a Bodhi way to explain it. I was wondering...would you do that again? Just so I could feel it while I'm paying attention. See if I can figure out what it is...."

He flushed and passed a hand through his hair, looking adorable in his uncertainty. "Then the tour?"

"Sure. I have heard the term apotheosis used...for the quasi eruption us second gens have as young adults. Mother studied the phenomenon as best she could. Though I don't think that science really has much. Mother tried running models but scattered stories seem to say its as individual as eruption."

"Plus there is the process. ... The teragen process which you understandably keep under wraps. Of course an outsider like myself can reason that it some sort of long term habitual or reflexive quantum application. Given I do not know the details of the process I can only deduce that it may make what I know about apotheosis vary relative to your case. The few cases Mother had information on did not invilve Teras.

"Have you been trying to manipulate your quantum in different ways?"

"Just let me know when you are ready. I can observe on a quantum level too if you approve."

"Apotheosis." He nodded, "I like that. And I don't know if there's a difference for Terats or not. I think maybe a little, but not in the end result. Darrik and I have talked about it some, but not a whole lot. Mostly we've been just trying to figure me out. And getting distracted." He quirked a smile that left no doubt as to the nature of such 'distractions'. "And yes, that's what we've been doing. Just..sort of...poking at me. Seeing what happens when I try things and watching my quantum signature as it happens. I'm putting together a file on it, but I've kept it more like a private journal at least for now. So, feel free to observe on whatever levels you want, and...I'm ready."

Star nodded and her two clones stepped around him, allowing her three different points of view for their experiment. She took his hand and he could feel that subtle overlay of her quantum signature, a familiar feeling by now from his time working with Darrik, and then the flux as she began to rearrange his molecular structure. He was about halfway to where she'd taken him the other day when he caught "sight" of something. "Wait, stop."

The flow of quantum from her cut of immediately and Puck pushed at himself, trying to continue the process without her. A minute passed and nothing happened; his brow furrowed in frustration. "Okay, take me back to normal and go again, please?"

She did, and as he was becoming solid he caught it again, so little spark of his own quantum signature sparking through the change. He didn't ask her to stop again, but let himself be made completely solid and then started the process a second time. He was searching for the that little spark this time, all of his his superhuman senses and perception inward-focused; he caught it again this time, much sooner. He didn't say anything, but instead tried to match what Star was doing to him with her. The spark came again, then again, until it was streaming through him, blinking in and out existence but staying longer each time. He could feel something building, a tipping point that was approaching as he became nearly insubstantial. "Okay, stop again!"

Star pulled herself back and Puck pushed like he'd done when Darrik had first asked him to attune in the penthouse. There was another quantum rush, but instead of pushing outward and lapping over Star's ship, it spiraled inward and the silver-gold glow of his quantum signature became an actual glow as that energy replaced the blood and flesh and bones of his body. As Star watched, Puck became a being of pure quantum, a humanoid shape of living energy; Puck would have marveled at his new self, but his mind was speeding across the vast reaches of space as the awareness he'd gained during his Apotheosis seemed to experience an apotheosis of its own. He could sense...everything, it felt like, though he knew that wasn't quite true. But he could feel Star and her clones and the ship and sunlight playing across the asteroids and the quiet strands of nova explorers taking strolls across the Martian landscape and the frantic, jumbled tangle of quantum and life and though that was Earth, and the burning furnace of energy that was the Sun, and each of the planets and asteroids speeding through the solar system, and the stars and nebulae's and...and the galaxy, spinning in the great void of space like some god-sized pinwheel. There were galaxies beyond that, spinning and wobbling around each other as they danced together at a universal pace; he could even see the galaxy that was slowly spinning together with the Milky Way, a beautiful dance that would create and destroy on a scale he'd only been able to begin to comprehend a month ago.

It was beautiful, so achingly beautiful and alien and humbling and utterly terrifying; even as his mind watched in wonder at the play of quantum across his small corner of the universe, his want tugged at him. For the Stars on the ship, the glowing energy-Puck had simply gone silent for some time, not responding to questions or even an experimental poke (and the odd warm feeling of passing a hand through him), and then he was gone. The form simply seemed to shimmer into nothing right before their eyes.

Ten tense and frantic minutes later, the form reappeared exactly where it had disappeared from and then seemed to snap back into the normal Puck. He smiled nervously at the Star that was still in the room (the other two having left to search through the ship's records to see if they could find out what had happened from any of the data they'd been collecting) and offered a sheepish, "Um, sorry about that...I uh, got carried away? Carried myself away? Got a little lost...um....I'm not quite sure where." He rubbed his arm and added, "I could see the galaxies...I mean, like the Hubble pictures, only more close-up. It...it took a few minutes to figure out what I did and then to find the ship again. I...uh, I'm sorry, if I freaked you out or worried you. My powers, they kinda seem to kick on in high drive when I first get them going." He actually blushed, "I didn't expect that....I'm...working on toning stuff down....Sorry."

Puck seeing things and going places.
Puck *rolls* 19d10: 9+10+1+2+4+2+5+7+3+1+3+8+5+5+10+7+8+5+6: 101

Puck *rolls* 1d10: 1: 1

12 successes

Quantum Pool: 119/125 qp (2 for Phase Shift on Bodymorph (including Transmit), 4 on Quantum Awareness)

Power maxxing: x6

Malachite *rolls* 48d10: 4+10+10+10+10+9+10+10+9+8+9+6+2+1+7+4+2+10+7+7+4+6+2+4+2+7+10+7+9+4+8+4+6+7+3+5+8+5+4+6+2+4+1+5+4+10+8+5: 295

+23 successes

35 total successes

Quantum Pool: 101/125 qp

That is roughly 951 quintilliard meters (9 x 10^36), 60.16 quadrilliard AU's (60.16 x 10^28), 9.5 quadrillion lightyears (9.5 x 10^23), or 291 trillion Megaparsecs (Mpc) or 291 thousand Gigaparsecs (Gpc) (2.91 x 10^14). For scale, the the diameter of the Milky Way's galactic disk is 1 Zm (1 x 10^21 meters), the Andromeda Galaxy is ~23 Zm away, and the diameter of the Local Group (the group of galaxy that are nearest to the Milky Way) is ~50 Zm. The Local/Virgo Supergroup (groups of groups of galaxies...which are groups of stars... :) ) is 33 Mpc in diameter. The particle horizon of the universe (basically, as much as we can see, though still only a small part of what is theorized to be the actual size of the universe) is 14 Gpc. So...Puck's spaced out (literally) for a little bit.

Again, spending quantum to move tempt Taint to temp Chrysalis. Let me know if you don't think this appropriate. Just as a note, since this is the second time I've done this, Puck's basically power-maxxing to the max the first time he uses each power, and will tone it down once he gets the hang of using powers. I don't intend for him to always power-max (though as a Terat and a Portent, he won't shy from it, either). Again, please just let me know if you think it's not in Archetype, QF.

Temp. Taint: 6 => Temp Chrysalis +6 (new total of 1 Perm., 2 Temp....or does just become 1 Perm?) Again, this pends your ruling Krul.

Quantum Points: 53/125

Mars

Kamiko pokes her head out of her shelter after having changed out of her uniform to her more loose fitting surplus uniform... She walks out presenting herself to everyone. "Star... perhaps... perhaps you're right. I did some thinking in there and I was very much unprofessional. But I will do my best to make that the only time. That was behavior unfit for an officer of your fleet. What's worse I had that outburst in front of Sonja and Dan-Sensei. Two people I highly respect and would love to see onboard our first true voyage. I want them to feel safe knowing the Hikari Maru was in safe hands."

Kamiko bows deeply. "Thank you for the opportunity, Star, and if you feel I'm worthy of a second chance I will not fail you again. And I am sorry, Sensei. My actions were unacceptible."

She stands back at full attention, awaiting any words from those assembled.

"I would be honored to help. I'm not criticizing the accomplishment,I'm simply stating as you did that people expect this to look and feel a certain way. This will appeal to almost every member of the human race, you have to plan for that as well. Some will expect even more than what you have done, because this is done by a nova. They expect things we create to be wondrously complex, and have a certain futuristic feel. Looking at what you've shown me, in some ways this will have a "retro" feel, I admit appeals to me."

He shook his head. "I may seem abit pessimistic, but I tend to plan for the worst case so when things go well it's a pleasant surprise."

"I agree, conservative planning is always best. ... Wait till you see the ship, its going to knock their socks off. None of them will be looking under the hood. If anything, my stuff looks complicated becuase we don't have the luxury of software interface. The control panels and such are suitably impressive - the ships look the part. It is a bit classic Trek, but unless they are real sci-fi buffs they won't notice ... its really its own style. Anyone with engineering or aerospace knowledge will also appreciate all the fine-points."

"I would wager there is no safer craft out there, and probably nothing as comfortable - given the nature of the beast. I even have grav-spin, though we won't be using it for long. Micro-gravity is part of the excitement."

He nodded. "I'd call it a sneak attack, but that gives the idea this underhanded in some way. Perhaps a better term would be preemptive strike. You're restaking humanity's claim on space, for the benefit of not one nation but all. Japan of course will feel some proprietary interest, and of course nationalist pride. That's to be expected, and can certainly earn you allies within the Government there."

He nodded. "I trust you've already scouted out a suitable locale to properly capture the grandeur and wonder of space for this first voyage?"

"allow me to suggest two additions to the itenerary, from experience. Beholding Jupiter up close, say from Ganymede is a marvelous spectacle. Secondly, and more traditional perhaps, Allowing those on this first trip to see Earth rise from behind the moon, There's something poetic in returning to such a view."

"A Jovian stop is not a bad idea. I was going to start off at the belt, I know the best views there - bring some of them to tears... but Juptier is a good landmark. We'll make it an unannounced stop - throw off any timelines an infiltrator might have."

"As to the destination, its still being scouted. I've been doing three systems a day. Since we won't be doing planetfall, having a habitable world isn't a prerequisite ... but if I find a nice little blue green world that will make the suggestion. Either way, the ship is outfitted for orbital survey. So they will actually be bringing live science data home. It also keeps them busy, where they can be monitored."

"As far as initial passengers, I'd specify that you only want those who have not already gone to space. This is to properly capture the sense of awe, because such people will be truly awed by what they see and experience. Granted, I would say if Buzz Aldrin wishes to make this trip, he should be among those who come. What greater endorsement can you get, than from one of the most famous baseline astronauts to live?"

"There are a couple of spots reserved for the Japanese establishment - open to qualified academics. There are four spots open to paying celebs, and a couple of those are already held ... those tickets fund GNS operations for quite a while after this. Then there are two contests - the Japanese contest has two spots, and the international contest has two. The results and candidates for those are already coming in."

"The entire contest model, even the paid model, is designed so that we alert people mere days before the trip. We have already given out messages along the lines of "you are a finalist!" ... and I have been shaping fate on this about six different ways. Every part of the process has been probability controlled. For example, the purpose of the 'finalist' announcements is not actually to determine finalists ... I've identified several candidates with ulterior motives and connections to shady companies. They are just being given false hope, so they think their plans are progressing. In fact, they were easily weeded out because they fell outside the 'fortunate' group isolated by probability controlled selection. Once I knew they were undesirable candidates, it was fairly easy to trace their connections with good old fashioned detective work. Being invisible and a shape shiftier makes certain things easy."

As Kamiko comes out, and says her piece ... Star gestures to the table. "Take a seat, we're talking security and soon operational level plans."

Mars

Kamiko quietly takes her seat after putting her hat back on that she had in hand when she had stepped out. It wasn't anything fancy, just a newsboy style cap with a wide enough brim to keep the sun out of her eyes. Although it was dimmer, the reduced glare that occurs with her glasses being shaded was appreciated. That and it's white fabric complimented the outfit. She leaned foreward, after grabbing the little clipboard off the ground that got sent away through Kamiko's outburst. She pulls a couple sheets of paper seemingly for notes, but she starts by pulling out a pen from her pants pocket.

"Very well. I'm all ears."

As she said that, she starts writing. As if something was on her mind.

"To summarize the few minutes you missed ... I need to take all of you on a tour. The ship is finished now, completely outfitted and provisioned for ten trips like the one we'll be going on. The decor, the styling, its all done. The outlines of the plans are in the folios ..."

"What I am most worried about is infiltrators, but I think Mr. Hawkins, you are ideally suited to background checks, scanning for tech ... combined with the screening I am doing and the very short time frame ... we have decent security for the first voyage. After that, it will be up to you Kami - to select a crew. As a captain, you will be assembling a team. This is just a promo event, a grand launch, a media spectacle - a one off."

Since Kami is here again, Star shifts gears a little ...

"Of course, in the future I will provide you with one of my selves to lend the quantum power for the ships's non-technological systems. Which would be the majority of them. However, as an R&D exercise you might want to install more systems ... advanced systems that can thrust her through the gate, maneuver, etc. It will be difficult, given the ship is very sturdy - and thus very massive. But I am giving her to you to see what you can do with her. Of course, you can take her in other directions ... you might decide that making her the best astronomical observatory possible is the way to go. She already has a sophisticated set of telescopes and astrometric instruments - but there is plenty of room to grow. From a design sense she makes a much better space station than a space ship when I'm not wrapping her in energy hulls. That should influence your design choices - don't try to make her something she's not. She'll never be a space racer or fly in atmosphere via conventional technology, for example."

"Your gift, Kamiko, is vision. As a leader you have to decide how best to use this resource, how best to help people ... in the long run I hope. This is going to be an exercise in leadership, which must be an exercise in resource and time management. Things you are good at."

"All of that is the future though, to claim your prize you have to pull this off. Like any of us, you have to claim your destiny with action. You have to make this first voyage come off without a hitch. Its important for so many reasons, big and small, that I can't reveal exactly. Trust that this is an important step for humanity. We have to make a historical moment, and show it to the world - thats the mission of this first trip."

Kamiko nods. In fact her poise in her chair is almost mirroring Starseed's.

"This will be hard... Since I am the Captain of this ship it will be hard not only to take a fifteen year old nova, but a girl none the less, seriously. What I need are dependible, trustworthy people who at the very least are dedicated to this as anyone could. The Hikari Maru, with it's name translated means Circle of Light in one of the literal ways. We have to be that light. What this world needs is true hope, Starseed. I mean, we all have seen that with what we've been handed with Coraline's papers. We are literally going to have to prove we're more than the "idealistic children" and actually put our dreams into motion. I like your dream, Starseed, and I think it's time to share mine."

"Dan will definately be my Security Chief. But what I need is someone who can be an ambassador. My number one. Since you're my chief navigator and engineer all at once that's right out for your role, don't want to overwork you. I have to ask though, has others helped you, that you can trust? I'd like some candidates from your pool as well. This is our ship, not just mine."

She adjusts her outfit with a quick tug. "I would say from my pool Sakura, and Shaman would be good choices for crew positions as well, but I wanted to hear your input."

"Shaman would be wonderful if we do encounter alien life with his rapport with animals, and Sakura could be that Ambassador I mentioned before, or at least good at communications."

She sits back. "But after this mission, I think I know what our duties could be if necessary. Space is a dangerous place, and Humanity is making her tentative steps into the black. I feel the Hikari Maru can be more than just a ship for bring space to the masses, but also to watch the spaceways, and be ready to answer any emergency at a moment's notice. A sort of coast guard for space, in a way. After this initial flight, we should get search and rescue experts, trained pararescue personnel, medics, doctors and nurses. And this could be useful for more than space. I've seen some of your design specs for the Marine Maneuvering Units. We could be a multi-purpose rescue and humanitarian organization as much as space explorers."

"Unbeholden to restrictive political dogmas, for one purpose; to protect and save lives wherever they are in jeopardy. And with our ship, we can literally be anywhere that is in your reach, Star."

"I want to be looked upon five... ten years from now as the girl who brought the true ideals that Project Utopia was supposed to uphold, and showed the world that it can be done. Without interferance, without any agenda other than to truely help others."

Kamiko looks to Star earnestly, then to Dan. "This world needs a true age of heroes. Not the cardboard ones they set outside of bookstores to shill their image. There must be substance, and earnesty. I cannot stomach where Project Utopia has fallen. I feel sorry for those still in PU that still believe Project Utopia can be redeemed. It's a sinking ship."

She sighs as she sits back. "Maybe my opinion is colored by what we've gotten into but that's what I think and feel, guys."

She looks at the clipboard again, and starts scribbling some more.

"Well, recruiting from our circle of friends for the maiden voyage is always a smart move. But we may have to reach outside of that. Unless we have some sort of psychic that can detect surface thoughts that bode ill for us, my ethical and moral leanings don't include actual mental searches. But there are really good interviewing processes that can plumb out certain personality archetypes that are prone to being easily swayed. Generally the folks in it for the money or fame or something are the easiest to weed out. It's just the dedicated. They aren't swayed by material gain but by those that can appeal to their own ethical or moral compass. While they would have a easier time being in a confined environment, they could be more swayed by a lone wolf. Lone wolves are the ones you should really be careful of. If there is anything that can start friction it's that. They never play well on a team, they don't put the needs of others ahead of their own."

She sighs. "Unfortunately, I also fit in a danger group... someone with an emotional scar that could be used as leverage. While we can't screen out every last person who's had a raw deal in life up to this point, it has to be considered that certain failings or tragedies in the past may not be dealt with at the time of the mission. Having a trained psychologist onboard can remedy most pschological ills, but not deal with any... memetic influence by outside forces to make the person an agent for an outside interest."

"We have to accept the fact that people will get through our net. What we need to plan is what to do with anyone whose been caught. We do have a Brig, correct?"

Star followed Kami's suggestions, nodding for a bit - relevant things to watch out for in the interview and profiling process. Then, it got very confusing ... did she know a telepath? Did she actually want to enlist the aid of one, or not?

"Danger group, you? What?"

"Brig? What? ...Why would we accept people are going to get through our net? Are you suggesting we capture people and bring them on the voyage with us?"

"I am not sure I follow you. We are talking about a day trip. On a ship with no brig. A few days from now."

"Let's resolve this from the bottom up."

She sighs and leans foreward a little. "I'm not talking about capturing anyone. What I am referring to is the fact that if an infiltrator gets into the mission but we catch on during the mission we need someplace safe to keep them where they won't do any harm until we return to earth and have them dealt with within the limits of the law. Same goes for anyone that shows signs of instability that puts the lives of ship and crew in danger."

"And when I mention I am in a danger group, I am not above suspicion. I have a wedge that anyone who is a good manipulator can play to have me in their pocket. I'm stating the obvious there."

She sighs. "And I was just suggesting things off the top of my head regarding Telepathy. I know there's Novas that can do that. I just don't have any in my day planner." She says with a giggle.

"OK, but we need to focus on this topic by topic - one topic at a time. We need to come up with more ways to avoid infiltration. Ways that we will implement in the time frame available to us. Ways that will have quantitative results. Lets say our time frame is 4 days, tops. You have the plans, the specs, the outlines, etc. in front of you."

"I'd say we need to think out of the box ... but that looses most of its meaning when dealing with Nova threats. The box is really huge."

Information Available
Everything talked over in the thread is available in the paper files.

The plans for the ship are here: https://sites.google...netemplar/space

Kamiko adjusts her glasses, reading the files quietly. Then chuckles.

"Vacuum Tubes... hell yes. Do you have any solid state drives to serve as backups to the computer systems onboard? Those things are practically immortal."

"But I digress... no Brig huh... I'm going to be honest guys, I'm no security expert. Call me Pollyanna here but I seem to have more faith in sentient beings than others." She states in a slightly saddened tone.

She starts switching between what she was scribbling and reading the files.

"No, no ... thats fine. It was very interesting to observe. I just wish my senses were more refined than they are. I've been pushing myself, but haven't opened up the kind of resolution I want to. Its amazing though ... Puck, you are beautiful."

"I think, once you figure a few more things out I'll have to take lessons. It looks as if you have a near-quantum or quantum energy form." She says as one of her starts bagging some uniform samples, and some of the rank pins. She then proceeds to the medical bay.

"I have some fairly good analytic gear in the med bay - lets go take a look. We can tell fairly easily from those samples and what I've sensed what sort of energy composition you might have. Some bio samples from me, and from my clones while they last will also help. Yours probably won't given you were transformed at the time."

They moved to the fairly well equipped medical bay. There, the Stars were already running tests.

The main Starseed explained "We can test for a range of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. With samples this fresh, we can test for a range of electromagnetic and magnetic effects. Moderate to strong effects anyway, we can rule out very strong emission because no ships systems are affected."

"Basically, we can rule out what you didn't transform into. Provided the energy types were not 'artificially bounded'. What I mean by that, is that some Novas transform into fire ... for example ... but its near-perfectly contained flame. Many fire form Novas only burn things around them by choice. In essence, there is a quantum field that forms a boundary defining internal and external in those cases. These boundaries are rarely one hundred percent. In your case, we have a spectra of light that was caught by my eye. That means you are at least giving off photons."

"Given I need this ship in one piece, we'll avoid any attempts for you to overcome any energy boundaries here. Quick calculations indicate we should avoid that near civilized places too."

"If you turned into pure quantum, you might just be giving off photons as an 'instinctual avatar'. I do that, unless I turn my avatar off ... in which case there is nothing left of me besides psychic level phenomenon. Which we can't measure with the gear I have. My instinctual avatar is pretty much what I normally look like, and that's why you and I can be seen normally when under my power. Its like the image just wants to stay around. Sound waves too, if you recall we talked while essentially incorporeal. We might have you try to talk or interact with some test objects in your new form."

"If you give me a few minutes, we can get you to do that again right under a sensor grid. But you'd want to hold it in a bit, so we get clean readings. It would tell us about your emissions. Indirectly, it allows us to make comparisons to known Nova - and guess at other capabilities."

"It also occurs to me, that we are going to be compatible for cross training. We have very similar forms, so we should be able to learn from each other easily."

"OK. Perhaps we all need some time to review the documents, and perhaps prepare some point by point information. We need to stick to an organized format ... or we'll never cover what we need to cover on the clock."

"What time is everyone available tomorrow? ..."

"... I can make three hours available. Just decide on the time, and I am here. We'll use the next set of gate pickup points in the sequence."

Archived