Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] A Night Out [Complete]

Shosuro Miren

Infinity laughed lightly as she turned around, putting her back to Shaman. She pressed against him lightly, her buttocks pressing into his groin. “Maybe if I’d known you were here,” she said over her shoulder, “I’d have dressed like this for you.” Her smile was coy and teasing, but there was nothing teasing about the way she held his hips and pulled him against her.

This young man was so serious – Infinity dealt with men like this in the Teragen, but never one that simultaneously so sweet and almost naïve. It was cute the way he was looking at her like she was something special. If this is how he looks at his girl, how can she resist him?

His hands found her upper arms and pulled her closer to his chest, almost instinctively. Infinity made a soft noise in her throat as his heat surged through their touch. She turned her head, her hair brushing over him as she pressed her cheek to his shoulder. “Shaman… if you think talking to me is this incredible, then let me tell you that sex is a hundred times better. But it won’t kill you – if I can survive it then so can you.”

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You certainly have a greater ... hold ... over your own destiny than I do," he says in a husky voice. He puts his face into her hair and breathes it in deeply.

"Let's go. I want you to change my life. I want to change yours if I can."

He weaves his hand around her waist, her back still pressed against him, and starts 'leading' her off the floor. At the edge of the crowd, he hesitates.

"I don't know were to begin. Exactly were do you want to go? I guess if we were in the wild, I'd bring you a treat, or engage in some kind of dominance display ... but ... I have a feeling people go way beyond that. Of course, if you want, I'll go out, kill a mouse, and leave it at your feet, if that's what you want?" he jokes softly.

'A mouse is easy. If I have to wrestle a bull moose, this night will get bizarre.'

'It already is interesting enough without bizarre.'

'I wonder who she's here to meet.'

'Does it matter?'

'We should ask.'

'No. She wants to be with us. That is all we need to know. What happens next doesn't matter.'

'And if we see whomever?'

'We back her up.'

'We call him an ass-hat!'

'No. That would upset her. Besides, when he sees her like this, he'll know he's a fool.'

'Damn right!'

As Lucrezia and Chang almost began their show and tell Star blushed, which for her was more of a glow. "I like fun." she said, but clearly she'd had little or no experience with fun of that variety. However, despite being a little embarrassed, it was hard not to be titillated as well ... more important was the idea of passion for growth. "Passion ... I have passion, but its complicated. I truly enjoy knowing, the act of discovery, the whole process of formulating and proving a theory. Even finding myself in error, its often good if I can know that it is so."

"I think it would be equally rewarding for me, in the motivational, psychological sense, to be able to do things like bridge large spans and experience new sensations. I can only imagine some of the experiences the various studies and practices that expert shape shifting must arrive at. I do rather enjoy adapting my body for extreme environments. Io was particularly fun, with the sulfur geysers ... we should go there someday soon. I know some particularly beautiful spots. Really majestic."

"I supposed that seeing some of these places, exploring them ... that has been in line with my passion. Building things too, but things are only a means to an end - tools for more discovery."

At mention of a meeting with Meh'Linidi "I won't miss it, in fact I have a self on a research rotation right now who could go anytime." and as the talk went from her paradigm to Teras she nodded, relying "Yes, I've come across many tidbits, references, superficial treatments on the op-net ... but nothing verifiable genuine. Apotheosis on the other hand, was something Mother and I had looked into with as far as resources and circumstance allowed. Its a big reason for the models, though a full apotheosis model might have two orders magnitude more complexity than the simple ones we just looked at."

"There just isn't much information out there, and the process is deceptively simple on the surface. We had often wondered if some of the self imposed limitations in quantum behavior are developmental. Even in this last year, I've tracked a very rapid rate of development. It may even be following logarithmic curves in some regards ... psycho-social factors are difficult to precisely quantify. Despite all that growth, certain fundamentals are still noticeably .. frozen ... so maybe its some sort of overall adolescent maturation stage I am in that is in itself keeping the brakes on. The stalk of a plant develops quickly, but not at expense of leaves or fruit."

Infinity paused for a second. She’d wanted to be here for Norman, but she didn’t even know if he was going to show… and so what if he did? Talking to him tomorrow wouldn’t change their status today. Nothing was going to change, she knew that deep inside; she was talking to him because someday, he’d realize she was right and she wanted to make sure he knew that before that day arrived. Then she wouldn’t be a petty know-it-all; she’d be a wise prognosticator.

But she was reasonably sure that today was not that day.

“I’d be glad to,” she told Shaman, eagerness warming her voice even further. Her pale hand closed over his as he held her waist, and her smile could light up the room. “And mice aren’t necessary. Maybe a thank you after, but that’s only if I’ve earned it.” Her grin assured him that she’d more than earn his gratitude. The young nova may not have the stamina of other novas, but she had confidence.

“Where do you want to go? There are rooms here, but I don’t know if you’d want something special for this.” Infinity twisted around, smiling over her shoulder at him. “Is there somewhere you’d like to go? We can go to a hotel, the rooms here or if you have somewhere not here, then I’ll be happy to ask a friend to warp us there. I’d even be happy to go to your home in the Congo, if that’s what you’d want.” Infinity paused and then said, “But if we run into the King, I’d appreciate not being introduced as the girl that deflowered you, okay?” Before he could answer, she kissed him lightly on the lips.

“There’s actual little evidence to support that interpretation,” Chang replied smoothly. “Apotheosis appears to be triggered in a very similar manner to eruption. If a child is in a state of intense experience or if their life is threatened, then there is a much greater chance of it occurring. We have assembled some amount of data on the subject, though not a massive quantity. As it stands, it appears that apotheosis is merely a delayed and smoother eruption, lacking the sort of developmental trauma that shapes the lives of most first generation Novas.”

Lucrezia was leaning back now, screwing her face up. “Not that I’d know. I lost my memory. I’m afraid you’re both becoming horrifically science-y.”

The other one leaned forward and addressed Brute. “So, Eden is it? I hear so little about you. Why don’t you come out of your shell a bit? That’s what the Rainbow Room is all about. You can do just about anything here, though we’d rather you didn’t knock the roof down. We had quite enough of that when Utopia came barging in.”

Chang ran her hand over her wife’s shoulder, and then leaned forward again. There was a liquid sound, deep and fleshy, and a second pair of arms emerged from Chang’s shoulders. These went to work properly stroking her wife. Lucrezia sighed and lay against her. She smiled and closed her eyes.

She felt the rhythmic, meaningful caresses of the little language they had put together for one another, one born from their shared enhanced sense of touch and the precision of their caresses, even if Lucrezia led by a significant margin in that arena. Keep it soft, she was saying. Just let me know you care. Her new arms set to stroking Lucrezia’s shoulders and hair.

“When it comes to shapeshifters,” Chang said, “I am the person to talk to. It’s not exactly an accident that most of my students and associated possess some variant of shapeshifting ability. It’s an arena in which I specialize, it allows for simple connections that assist in the teaching process. And – being blunt – it’s hard to find sexually compatible partners that aren’t shapeshifters. I have a greatly enhanced sex drive, so I’m not just being a pervert, it’s an actual concern I must attend to. I am a passionate being but also one of deep thoughts and deeper insights. It took a long time for me to find a fusion of those elements. Back in the day I found it extraordinarily frustrating. What sort of limitations – if any – are there upon your shapeshifting abilities? In my case I am incapable of taking on animal forms, but I have a rather unique aptitude for inanimate ones. Hence the furniture.”

Lucrezia nuzzled into Chang’s hand. “Mmm, and she makes the best motorcycle in the world. Can’t wait for you to do planes.”

Chang glanced over at her. “I’m working on it. I think a plane is beyond me at this stage, though.”

Brute looked up when Lucrezia spoke to her. She was intense, but not half as much as Puck was. Yet there was something predatory about her that made her feel awkward. And ah think it’s fairly safe to say she lahkes girls. Saying that, though… the bulge of Chang’s cock was as obvious as ever, tucked underneath her central breast, hidden under the cloth of her dress. Ah’m not sure what that means. Is she straight but not?

She said, “Ah think ah read about that. Utopia knocked down the amp room, yeah?”

Lucrezia nodded. “Mm-hmm.”

“Well, ah don’t think ah wanna do that. That’d be mighty rude, an’ ah don’t think ah’d get invited back.” She nodded for emphasis.

“And you could do it for certain. I saw you pull your little Everest trick. Very impressive. It’s rare to see such a big girl. Tell me more about yourself.” Her eyes were dark and liquid, but friendly. Not so predatory anymore. “Why don’t you start with Mr. Bear? I’ve never seen a Nova so attached to a stuffed toy before. For that matter I’ve never seen a stuffed toy view me with such obvious disdain. I feel quite naughty.”

Brute turned Mr. Bear against her body so his paws stayed over his eyes. It was important to be careful. “It’s not disdain,” she said, a little haughtily. “It’s important for Mr. Bear to keep a clean mind, and if ya don’t mahnd me sayin’ so, you’re a bit hot to handle. Ah don’t think Mr. Bear should be lookin’ at a lady of your proportions.”

Lucrezia smiled devilishly. “Oh, you’ll make me blush. And here I am looking all white and pure.”

She didn’t seem so bad, now Brute looked at her closer. Not as busty or as hippy, really. She was still beautiful, but in an icy, almost distant sort of way. It was easier to talk to her now, she felt, but didn’t quite know why.

“Well, about Mr. Bear, ah don’t really know when we first met. Ah cain’t remember properly. But he’s been with me forever. He’s my bestest friend. Ah know how it sounds, but it’s true. Honestly ah didn’t have nobody else up until last month. That ain’t so good, really, but hey, ah ain’t complainin’. Me an’ Mr. Bear made good of it, ya know? Though we had our bad tahmes. Ah think them Utopia fellas may a’ come after me. Don’t know why, though. Do you know why?”

Lucrezia gave an elegant shrug. It was weird seeing another one of her on the other side of Chang, looking and acting completely different. Brute looked away quickly. Chang had too many limbs. Where’d she go and get those from?

“You’re a Nova. They don’t need much of a better reason than that. It’s possible they wanted to recruit you. Do you remember what you were doing at the time?”

“Jus’ walkin’. Don’t remember nothin’ else, though ah don’t remember that time very well, not even with Mr. Scripture’s help. He said it was ‘residual effects’ of the telepathicymejeebies. Which is a real word.”

Lucrezia grinned. “Naturally.”

“He said it was like my head wasn’t able to take in new information, or somethin’. Ah read a bit about how the memory works so ah think ah get the theory. Like my memory centres were shorted out for a while, an’ couldn’t properly record things. So anyways, so far as ah know as was jus’ walkin’. Then a whole buncha guys turned up an’ started shoutin’ at me. That, uh,” she looked down at Mr. Bear, then leaned over to Lucrezia and whispered, “that didn’t go so well.”

“So I heard. Please,” Lucrezia said, pouring a drink for Brute, “do go on.”

Star smiled and said "Granted, Apotheosis mirrors eruption for the limited insight that offers ... though the information you are referring to must be among Teragen secrets."

On the hologram which was running, a very brief message flashed. It was planar, oriented to be visible only to Chang and those near her .. so dim as to not reflect well, and in a font that blended into the graphics that had still been running. Star had every confidence Chang would pick it up easily.

"Mother was privy to plenty of data on the academic, UN, and even military levels. What they know about eruption is less than rigorous science. Much of it is borderline mysticism cloaked in the veil of social sciences. I definetly wasn't allowed to read what I have read over the years ... but I assure you, in those circles at least ... there is less than we desired. That said, I do have quite a bit of information on that and other things. I would greatly enjoy an exchange of information. I will work up a file for it, who knows ... maybe there is the chance of some useful synthesis? Certainly, people in those same circles want me dead so I have no hesitation passing on their confidential data. Though I've not got anything fresher than early last year ... call it a token of my appreciation. I do sincerely wish to learn more from you and your students."

She continued smoothly, with no pause ... saying "I see. I haven't had much experience with anything erotic. One thing among many that I have yet to do."

"As to shifting, I am fairly versatile. The limitation seems to be to organic materials and forms .... though that offers a wide range, even living energy. A pool of liquid, the most basic or complex organic compounds, even elemental components like calcified structures, thin film bio-metallic composites. Anything a living thing could be or deposit. Mother was a bio-manipulator of well known versatility ... what she can do with tissues and metazoic forms I seem to be able to do with my own form. The methods is as you have seen modeled, a controlled matter-energy conversion. I can fake inorganic items to a certain extent ... chitin can easily look and feel like metal. Organic forms can be angular, they just tend not to be. That sort of thing."

"Forgive me if my next question oversteps bounds ... Is Teras easier or harder to explore and comprehend for those with versatile forms and abilities like shape shifting?"

"Special place? The Special place is with you. No other place matters. Any location you chose is fine with me. After all, the cub doesn't tell the lioness how to hunt antelope. I am in your hands."

He moved close to her. This felt right. It wasn't Her, but now he realized it didn't have to be Her. He could remain in her orbit and still do what he wanted. It wasn't about sex with Her. It was about knowing Her and being with Her. Whatever else happened didn't matter. He wondered why he thought it ever h had.

"Infinity ... thanks for bumping in to me tonight. Just ... thanks."

Puck had heard most of the conversation between Shaman and Infinity, as much because he was still learning how to filter sound in an out as from his own curiosity and protectiveness of Infinity. She heard his voice as if he was standing right next to her, though Shaman didn't seem to hear him. "We'll see you later, then?" he teased, "Have fun deflowering the prince!"

He squeezed Eden in a another hug as she related her story to Lucrezia, making sure she knew she was safe even in this chaotic place. He arched a brow at Star at her admission of never having engaged in anything erotic...We're surrounded by virgins tonight. He kept from giggling but only barely and mostly only to keep from having to explain to Eden why he was laughing.

Chang smiled at Star’s question. It was an understandable mistake to make, listening to her speak of Teras. It was easy enough to correct it, though. “I would say so, but that is an outgrowth of my particular teaching methodology. The ability to shapeshift has been key to my development on the path of Teras, ergo much of what I pass on is coloured by that. I won’t lie, in the majority I have selected my students with deliberation, and most possess some capability to alter or transform their bodies. Shiv is probably the closest to being ‘solid’ as it were, barring Puck. Suffice it to say you would be given different lessons from – say – Jeremiah Scripture. Every teacher has their own paradigm, and it is largely a test of our skills as a teacher to adapt what we know to the specific needs of our student. Puck seems quite pleased with my efforts to date.”

Lucrezia leaned into Chang’s additional arms, nibbling at the wrist of one. The other continued to talk to Brute, but she leaned forward, moving Chang’s arms to stroke her hair and down her back. “Who’s this mother of yours? She sounds interesting.”

Chang nodded. “Agreed,” she said, observing the message in the hologram. Since Starseed seemed to want this bit of knowledge kept hidden, she decided it would be best not to address it verbally. “You talk a great deal about your mother. More than any other Nova I’ve met, in truth, save for a few exceptionally humanistic ones such as Alejandra, who seems to be incapable of giving an interview without bringing her parents into it sooner or later. Not a terrible surprise given her origins, though. It is interesting to see the parallels between parents and children. The issue of the Nova family is one that has been horrendously stunted by Utopia’s meddling, but I believe we’ve finally overcome them and can begin to develop on our proper path. Do you share much visual similarity with your mother, or in terms of quantum capabilities?”

Star nodded, smiling at Puck with the non-verbal 'you are great' subtext when Chang mentioned him. She listened intently to them and replied "My mother is Nancy Reid, she looks like this." Star shifted the holo globe to display scenes with her mother ... "though when I last saw her, her appearance had been changing somewhat. She began experimenting with new styles, and just carried herself differently. I've been looking for her. She joined the Teragen and I lost track of her ... they helped her I hope. I didn't feel safe here - on earth I mean - and I left. So I haven't any idea of where she might be."

She paused at the question of quantum abilities "She and I have similar quantum signatures. I took after her with my abilities, for the most part. I can't make the genetic changes to external tissue like she can ... its always been out of reach no matter how hard I tried. Its how I discovered I could weave energy forms though, when I was seven. Still can't do what she does, but it is a very similar process. She had developed the type of models I showed you for herself, before she even had me."

On the hologram, biographical information on Nancy Reid scrolled by. Childhood, career, family, and information on the attack ... her mental decline and rapid accumulation of taint before finding the Teragen ... and some sketchy information on her first Terat contacts. Though star never met the contacts directly ... she knew that Mother had reached out to Count Orziaz. Indirect clues, notably several big footprints ... lizard, dinosaur-esque tracks.

As far as profile, this Nancy Reid had been keeping a very low one. She was an unknown for the most part ... someone influential was probably helping her hide out.

"Mother had communicated with Count Orziaz, but I am not sure what ever came of it. She was - we were - desperate at the time." said Star.

Chang nodded. “Was she suffering from taint accumulation?”

Starseed sighed. “Yes.”

“Unfortunate,” she said. “If she communicated with Count Orzais she will have been passed over to The Harvesters for assessment. I should have some general information on your mother back to you inside twenty four hours, if not sooner. My wife will be passing requests along through her copies as we speak.”

Lucrezia nodded. “To six different people, in fact, including Darion,” she said. “Odds even that it’s Darion who gets back to us first. That man seems to know everybody. And I mean everybody.”

“It’s the hair,” Chang said, “everyone likes the hair.”

“I’ll say six hours rather than twenty four,” Lucrezia said. “If she’s had any contact with Zia then there’ll be records, and those are easily accessed by his disciples. We’re a family,” she said to Star, “even if we’re a little dysfunctional. It’s easy to find each other when we want to. Oh yes, and Chang’s asking. You’d be surprised at the number of doors her name opens up.”

"I appreciate it very much." She said to Chang and Lucrezia. For a moment her mind raced through recollection that would take a normal person hours ... and she did miss her mother more than she realized. She wouldn't let it get to her though, and she shook it off in an instant. The story flashed across her features in an instant for those with perception like Chang and Puck.

Her thoughts moving back to the breadcrumbs that Chang and Lucrezia had dropped for her, she said "I have to think on what you said about passion. Maybe I need something to inflame it, or something to really engage my perceptions and add fuel to the figurative fire ...Thank you. Its quite a bit to think about, and its a nice feeling to ponder these sorts of things. Truly a pleasure to meet you both."

Star was clearly pensive, but in a good way ... she had more to think about. Maybe, new directions - a new light to examine an old problem in. Smiling ... she said to Puck "I can't come to the Rainbow Room without dancing, now can I? Thing is, you will have to teach me some steps." .... she looked to Brute "Maybe we can both learn? It will be fun!"

Puck grinned and pulled the two out onto the dance floor, laughing as he walked through the steps of a simple dance. He made sure to keep close to Eden and keep the more predatory regulars of the Rainbow Room at bay. Chang and Lucrezia could see the boy they'd met almost a year ago slip out again, shining through the new layers of responsibility and emotional weight that had settled on him since finding Eden. Shaman and Infinity had already slipped out of the main room on the way to pleasures of their own; the other Nursery children were still dancing and slowly permeating through the club, claiming it for at least the evening....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived