Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - 4.2d What Lurks

Justin OOC

The Headmaster looked to Kyra and Yuuki, then to Aoi. "You think me cruel don't you?"

He looked to Yuuki. "You aren't being used as bait, anymore than the three of us. This group is extremely high profile to attract his attention. If he comes after anyone it will be us. With Aoi and I, we should be able to hold him long enough for you to rally the others."

He smiled. "Aside from that, you have a connection to this Shinigami, and you Kyra, have impressive hunting instincts. I plan on using those. Don't think this will be easy, that there's no danger. This Shinigami is a foe that has great power, do not stray too far from either of us. Kyra, you will be with me. Yuuki, Aoi will be your partner in this endeavor."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yuuki didn't smile back. She didn't feel up to that level of deception, merely nodding understanding and unclenching her hands. The messenger seeds had been delivered to Skye-Sempai and would be safe should she fall beyond resurection, intell for her Sisters to glean and report back to the Clan. They had to be. Or else the young dryad would have failed beyond all measure.

"The plants of the campus can no more detect these sigils than I can, their touch too light on the world for them or me to feel directly. But if you wish, Headmaster-Sensi, I can ask the world to guide us where we need to be. It is... it is how I found the shinigami in in the first place," she added quietly after a pause to gather her strength, offer on the table as per her role.

She looked between the headmaster and the Yuuki for a moment, then back at the headmaster again. "Cruel is only a word, it had no meaning in the face of nessecity or to deal with enemies, one does whatever one can to protect one's own, one's lair and one's horde, dragons reject human morality, which uses words such as cruel, wicked or evil in the face of what must be done.. it is a form of cowardice." Kyra was speaking some of the feelings of the dragonkind, at least those of the monster world in matters of morality.

"You were wise not to involve daddy, he would want to burn the entire school and then start over, but his senses would be better here the mine.. " She sighed slightly then her eyes narrowed.. "I will seek as you ask, to find where this hidden shadow hides."

The headmaster nodded. "Very well." With a wave of his hand they appeared in the administration building. "Destroy the sigil, Lady Aoi, I imagine you kno the Whispering wind technique."

She nodded. "We'll stay in touch with that."

With that he nodded to Kyra "Come with me." He lead her from the room, through the door and into another part of the building, deep within the bowels. "There's two places it could be. I want you to use your senses and instincts, and tell me where the sigil is."

Aoi looked to Yuuki. "As you and I are partners, and I am to restrain my power save for defense, I will trust in your senses, please lead the way."

Mind + heightened seneses/awareness for Kyra please.

Soul for Yuuki, if using zen movement.

"I am but the channel, Aoi-Donno," Yuuki answered carefully to her Clan's ancestral foe and her current charge's sibling, "Blessed by the spirit of the world with the ability to ask it to show me where I need to be. We can only hope I have the wisdom to listen clearly to what it is saying. Please only touch me if we are attacked and stop only when I stop."

With those final words, the young dryad slipped into a trance state and let the world guide her feet for a second time that night, asking only to be guided where she needed to be to do the greatest good she could in this dark time. If that was finding this master sigil to save the school from this soul devouring monster, so be it. If it was somewhere else doing something else, equally so be it. She would have faith in the quiet convenant.

Zen movement!

http://invisiblecast...r/view/3155398/ Hmmm, 18.

In a trance, Yuuki lead Aoi upwards through the building. To the roof even, and it was there that Aoi broke the spell. Yuuki had only to look before and see she was on the edge of the ten story building's roof, and that Only Aoi's hand firmly grasping her shoulder had kept her from falling likely to her death.

"I think that's enough."

She smiled, and looked back to the door. "That was very close, Yuuki. I had been content to follow, and deal with what arose, but I will not let you die under my charge."

The young dryad stepped back from the brink, frowning mildly before quickly bending her head and whispered a prayer of graditude to the world in thanks for guiding her so far, a reflex to cover the tremor of unease in her gaze.

"A fall wouldn't have killed me unless your renegade kin or something much like it interfered, Aoi-Donno, just this body, and the world has never lied to my feet or my kin's feet before," yuuki managed softly after a few heartbeats to dismiss the lurking terror of exactly that happening, "But... thank you. We... I do not know why it sent me here, but perhaps there is something here we can find that will help?"

She extended her awareness and asked the green and growing things, the moss and the algae within the lichen and the seedlings making a valiant attempt at life in this harsh rooftop domain, what they knew, what they felt, her eyes alert for anything amiss as she waited for an answer.

"There's something here, I don't know what, but something..," murmured the dryad before her gaze fixed on the theater, allowing herself a leap of faith and logic, "Aoi-Donno. Could this master rune be located in the theater and act in the way Ruby-Sempai described? It or something important like it?"

Yuuki nodded understanding and confirmation, voice soft and gaze lingering, "Can you identify out what it is, Aoi-Donno, or shall we report it and move on?"

Behind her mask, behind her resigned terror, the young dryad was wondering why this angel was so unlike the destroyers she had been trained and warned against by her Aunts. At the very least she wasn't acting like it towards her so far. Diplomatic training? Distraction of the moment? Out of date information?

There it was. Aoi's hands both moved, the first throwing up a golden barrier, protecting both her and yuuki from the attack. Her words were unitelligible, and a shape shimmered in the darkness, then came into view.

"Damn."

It was a Celestial Lion, it's normally bronze armor and eyes a sickly green color. "Don't let it bite you." The Lion growled at them both and charged, battering against Aoi's shield. "I suggest you do something. Tihs Lion is a pride leader. If he roars others will come."

The fact she didn't attack reminded Yuuki that she wasn't supposed to, her power far too noticeable if used for attacks.

Yuuki's eyes snapped opened in fear at the sight of one of the Celestial's legendary warhounds gone corrupt, pupils igniting into light as her Mask dropped to reveal her dryad heritage to the worlds, a heartbeat later bringing the shiver of her full authority as a Hina Clan member to bear. Every plant in a kilometer of her location twitched once to attention, straining to greater wakefulness from peaceful nightime respiration at her call.

"I will do what I can, as soon as I can," she promised under her breath for the angel, glowing eyes beneath green tresses of hair resigned but firm as a storm of thruming sakura petals swirled into being around her in a whistling ghost wind, hands ready and bearing mixed clusters of seeds for a moment's deployment and assault once she had the chance.

Umasking (free action), Activating Plant Control (action), and Activating Forcefield (free action)

• 2 weeks later...

The young dragon followed the direction of her senses, allowing her sense of smell, hearing, sight and natural instincts in order to guide her as the headmaster had asked her too. "Hmm.. something smells of blood and magic in this direction." She looked around a moment, then pointed downward. "It's that way... " With that, she took off like a bat out of hell, heading in the direction that she had pointed to, seeking out the rune she was suppose to with all of her senses, to try and find her way to it directly.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3170261/

19 on the senses roll (for vision, hearing and smell.. touch and taste would be a 16)

The headmaster follows behind her quietly.

She finally arrives to a nondescript door. It reeks of blood, though there's none upon it, and it is firmly locked resisting even her draconic strength.

The headmaster looks at the door and nods. "Allow me." He puts for his hand, and nods, and the door opens, revealing a room covered in arcane symbology, and reeking of blood.

Perhaps worst for Kyra, was the near mountain of gold coins there, all covered and desecrated with yokai blood.

And strike Yuuki did, casting one handful of seeds to the ground in front of the lion and commanding them to sprout and twist into a crushing hedgerow of animate folliage that coiled and twisted about the fallen celestial predator with all the force of a treeroot cracking stone but in the space of only a few heartbeats.

[envoy] 1:06 pm: okay. rolling to attack in MA for the first time ever.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 3+1+11: 15

[envoy] 1:08 pm: huh. least it's not a auto fail and the beastie gets minus two to it's defense and it entangled if I hit. 46 damage inflicted.

The young dragon blinked, then blinked again, then began to smolder... literally, smoke was begining to leave her body, as though there was a fire just under her skin, a blaze that was about to explode with the strength of a firestorm.. it was too much for her to hold onto her human seeming, so furious was she, that her dragon form bleed though, bat like wings rising fro her back, and strong red scales beginning to cover her body. The rumbling growl that filled the room could not possibly be coming from her, it suggested a size that she didn't have, at the very least, that the dragon princess was a lot more dangerous then she looked.

It was all that she could do to keep from roaring her fury, to fill the air with a challenge, and what was more, she was almost desperate to claim the pile of gold, but utterly revolted by the blood and dark arcane magics that tainted it. "Flame and Fury!" She swore, it wasn't something that would be recognized as swearing by humans, but any monster would know she was a dragon by the contempt and fury she filled the words with.. Flame purified, she wanted to burn the blood and magic away, purify the gold and add it to her horde.

It was then that the blood rose from the gold, coalescing in the shape of a dragon. "You are not the master." With that there was a blast of fire, which Kyra found reeked of blood, and left her feeling soiled and defiled, though unhurt.

"A blood dragon, one of the more foul necromantic spells. Yeah, I know who this is now."

The young dragon felt the blood flames roll over her body, but fire was kin to her, it could not harm her in the slightest, and a moment later, she was still standing, though everything she had been wearing was burned to ash, leaving her wearing nothing but her skin. The feeling of defilement however, was worse, she felt almost like she had been dropped in a sewer, and it infuriated her.

Her skin rippled a moment, and then was covered with tiny red scales, eyes that shifted from human to cat-like slits, fingernails and hands that sharped to talons, and teeth that suddenly shifted to sharp predators, rather then the more human teeth that she had when she was masquerading as a human. A pair of large bat-like wings rise from her back, and she growled at the blood dragon that was rising against them.

She was beautiful in this form as much as in her human form, her scales were not simply scarlet, they shimmered like ruby jewels and her eyes had a deep glow to them, that seemed to enhance her beauty..

"Corrupted flames, if fire is what you favor, let it be returned to you." Her voice crackled with the sound of fire, and with those words, she drew back slightly, as though inhaling, and then breathed, and this time, it wasn't air, but pure uncorrupted flame, returned to the blood dragon shape, filled with all of her fury.

http://invisiblecast...r/view/3170369/

2d6 + 9 → [6,5,9] = (20)

Almost a Critical.. on fire breath attack

"It will hold long enough or it will not, Aoi-Donno, but I will distract it with pain while you do what you can," calmly intoned the young dryad, even as she willed the plants to squeeze their victim tightly, adding more coils of unaturally vigorous vine creepers around the creature's head and mouth. Her eyes glowed and hair whipped in her defensive cherry-blossom storm, a dryad at war as she had been trained, grace in long-range violence.

[envoy] 2:02 pm: okay, attack two on the beastie while it can't dodge.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 5+6+11: 22

[envoy] 2:02 pm: whew, 46 more damage.

The blood dragon howled with rage under the assault of Kyra's true fire, lunging at her, missing narrowly, though blood splashed onto her, leaving her feeling even more defiled.

for Yuuki, the lion had managed to free himself some, before getting bound again. Aoi's shield dropped and she looked to Yuuki, even as a beam of celestial light passed just over her head, another passing just past her hip. she could feel the heat, even as the lion struggled. aoi said nothing, chanting a spell.

And Yuuki hit the celestial lion again, calling for and receiving more reinforcements from the errant seeds struggling for life in inadequite cracks and corners that would sufficate them in time. They drank her energy like a field after a drought, surging over and around the monster that their cousins were already crushing beneath their numbers, a green hoard responding to the will of one of their World-blessed Yokai Ladies of the Hina Valley.

She could fight this kind of foe. The greater monster may wait down at the theater with it's prize, but this foe was of her ken and her mettle.

[envoy] 2:35 pm: gonna hit the lion again while it still can't dodge.

envoy *rolls* 2d6: 4+6+11: 21

[envoy] 2:36 pm: 46 more damage.

finally Aoi's eyes blazed and the lion fell over like a puppet with its strings cut. the plants were able to fully bind the lion and Aoi smiled. "Well done Yuuki, that spell should keep it out cold, and perhaps answer some other questions. I would never have managed that spell without your aid, it takes too long to cast."

As the dragon attacked her, she shifted just past it's attack and she was about to make a quick counterattack, when something caught her eye, a shimmer of gold in the blood dragon's chest, and she shifted for her next attack. This time, she went for a claw attack, her sharp talon's glistening as she struck for the slight gleam of gold that she saw where the dragon's heart should be.

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 3+6+9: 18

Perception Check

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 5+6+7: 18

Defense Roll

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 1+6+12: 19

Claw attack

Kyra actually didn't care where the headmaster had vanished too, at the moment all that mattered was the foe before her, the dragon that she was determined to bring down, whatever it took.. the nessessity's of finding her foe were gone, the plans and preparation didn't matter anymore, and she moved again, as directly as possible, not just to strike the locket, but to rip it from her opponant's chest, if she could, then to block, dodge or parry it's return attack.

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 3+2+12: 17

Claw attack.. again

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 5+6+7: 18

Defense roll

Kyra wasn't really listening to the headmaster at this point, but fortunately, she was doing exactly what he had asked her too, but another wash of corrupted fire made her feel absolutely disgusting, like she was covered in filth, more then simply dropped into a sewer, but like she was crawling though the muck, she hadn't thought she could feel more disgusting, but apparently she was wrong.

If it wasn't for the shiny, she might have chosen to burn the blood dragon again, but now she was focused on the golden locket and she struck with her claws to try and get at the gleaming gold at it's heart once more.

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 6+2+12: 20

Claw Attack

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 5+4+7: 16

Defense

The necklace caught against her fingertip and she ripped it off. immediately the dragon shuddered and exploded in gore, coating kyra one more time in foul reeking blood. The headmaster apporached, no blood upon him and nodded. "Very smart snatching away the spells focus. You've done well Kyra."

finally Aoi's eyes blazed and the lion fell over like a puppet with its strings cut. the plants were able to fully bind the lion and Aoi smiled. "Well done Yuuki, that spell should keep it out cold, and perhaps answer some other questions. I would never have managed that spell without your aid, it takes too long to cast."

Yuuki nodded acknowledgement of the compliment, kneeling at the twitching bundle of lion and folliage to recollect a handful of her faithful allies and calling up others to take their place on the cacoon, thrumming with magic that made everything green twitch and curl in her vicinity. "You're welcome, Aoi-Donno. I am glad my talents were adequite for this opponent," she intoned, feeling a little better at the small victory, "Is the something else still here or was the lion what we were sensing?"

"Ewe... this stuff stinks, and it feels like it came from a sewer." she indicated the blood and gore that she was covered in, as well as the gold and locket she held in her hand. "it's going to take me at least week to cleanse this stuff enough to add it to my horde." The acquisitive eye that she gave the gathered treasure was enough to indicated that she certainly planned to do all of that, and she shuddered again. "I need a bath, I don't like the feel of this stuff at all..."

"Then it rightfully belongs in a dragon's hoard, but not before it's properly cleansed.. " She shuddered again, normally she would be picking up coins and letting them fall though her fingers, but at the moment she actually couldn't managed to bring herself to pick them up. She then looked down at herself and shuddered again. "You mean I've covered in rancid dragon's blood.. it's awful.. did you find what you needed too?"

"It was him. The sigil isn't here. I hope the headmaster and Kyra are having better luck."

"Then we go and inform them of our own find, Aoi-Donno," the young dryad intoned with a shade more genuine respect after the combat and it's conclusion, eyes aglow in the dark, "See what we should do next as his subordinates in this matter."

"Kyra-Sempai told me her dorm number but I have never visited in person, Aoi-Donno," confessed the young dryad with a nod, smelling of the blossoms of her far distant tree in the evening breeze, "But if you get us to the female dorm building, I am sure we can find it swiftly enough."

Yuuki waited a second, thoughts whirling before she inquired, "May I ask a question? Something about all this confuses me."

Archived