Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Yuuki: Are you sure?

Justin OOC

Upon leaving Darrik's room Yuuki tuned out virtually everything else as she began to walk. The trek took her through the school, and into the library. No other student was there, and only the Librarian sat behind her desk. Yuuki moved silently towards the back, to a small couch and pair of chairs situated around a low table. There were books upon it, looking out a window. The first of the books was something called "The Lord of the Rings."

The young dryad blinked and reluctantly came out of harmony with the living world, giving thanks to the greater spirit that blessed her and all her kind with their Awareness for guiding her so far as it had this night before actually looking around her.

The library. Okay. That was obviously enough a place to find secrets, but which secrets had Darrik been seeking and found here in the... general fiction section? That was the major downside to this aspect of her gifts, not knowing *why* a place was the place she needed to be.

Very well. Start in the center and spiral outward... Yuuki began to check the shelves around her for sources of obviously (non-fictional) occult lore, all the while casting gentle queries to any green and growing thing in the room about whether they had seen the warlock here in the last few months and what he had been doing. A clue, a hint. That was all she needed, a why to guide her foreward so she'd have something to show for tonight's efforts before she returned back to her dorm for the night. Perhaps she could even ask Kyohei-San why an angel lord had been showing an interest in him at the rehersal if he was still awake.

More than anything Yuuki got the sense that she was being watched, yet she could never ascertain where from. The search for whatever might have proved useful to Darrik turned up nothing. There was nothing but fiction in this section, so it would seem.

Frowning mildly, the young dryad decided to settle on the direct approach and returned to the place where she had come out of her trance, looking about her and intoning under her breath.

"Creature, spirit, or god, whoever or whatever you are, I can not find you but know that I know you are here. I am a scion of the Hina Clan, and I have a duty to fufill. If you mean no harm to Kyohei Sokatsu, reveal yourself. If you mean harm to Kyohei Sokatsu, know I will do everything in my power to stop you."

She waited then, holding her breath and senses alert. This was a long-odds gamble, a very calculated risk, and the young dryad, on a tiny, selfish, not wanting to die again the night before the play sense, hoped it wouldn't bear fruit and that she'd have to come back with more skilled back up tommorow night.

Well. That was as clear and nonviolent a sign as Yuuki had any reason to hope for, so she bowed her head respectfully to the watching presense and sat in the aforementioned chair, green eyes scanning the area before experimentally reaching foreward to touch the book with the fingertips of her left hand. If nothing overt happened, she would then attempt the lift the book before finally opening the front cover to the title page.

The young dryad had been told... stories of those who meddled in old lore and she was determined to glean as much as she could should this be the trap it seemed.

It was not until she opened the book while sitting in the chair that something happened. The world went white, and in an instant she was looking at where she sat, a Young man, radiating power, and a young woman sat there reading. The casual glances, the way they inched closer to each other on the couch, if these two weren't a couple, they were close.

The world flashed white again, and the girl sat alone, in the same spot, Behind her something lurked. Th silence of the room was intense, then Yuuki could hear it, a strong steady rhythm. A second later it began to slow, and a pair of blue eyes appeared behind the girl.

The rhythmic pulsing began to slow, and The girl seemed to grow tired. Her eyes closed as she laid her head down upon the book, and moments later, the rhythm, her heartbeat, ceased. A hand reached out, grasping the escaping soul.

Something terrifying happened then, and the eyes turned to her, the hand reaching towards her now. Most striking was the recognition. The eyes, she'd seen them, every day since she arrived, and again this evening, when she saw Kyohei's eyes, and Aoi's.

She awoke with a start holding the book, the Librarian's hand upon her shoulder. "You were making some noise child. Are you allright?"

Yuuki was shaken and sweating, fighting to get her breathing under control, not noticing the Librarian's words imediately. "What?" she questioned with one final hitch of her breath, social niceties kicking in on auto pilot, "Oh, yes. Of course, I just..."

The young dryad then noticed she was still holding the book and *barely* managed to avoid throwing it away from her, instead putting down like one would a viper asleep but liable to bite if woken up. Her eyes fixated on the cover for a few thundering heartbeats, thoughts whirling like a storm as she processed what she had been shown, quite blind and deaf to the world.

Kyohei. Angel Lord Aoi, Kyohei's *sister*? Something that shared their blood that took the souls of the dead maybe? Something still here that perhaps started here?

Oh, now she wished she had been taught active as well as passive spiritual wards, to double check that nothing had been left behind... Oh, Tree...

Yuuki thanked her tutors a dozen times in her head as her training kept her from jumping away from the librarian and mustered the sickly smile of a merely-tired girl who let her imagination run away with her. Never assume. Confirm first, and then act.

"I'm simply overstressed from the play and meeting the five Lords of the monster world. Got a little overambitious in exploring the library before turning in," she evaded to the best of her skill, green eyes hiding her whirling thoughts, "Another day will be better, I think."

The Librarian nodded. "The Lords are here? That will be an interesting thing to see then."

She smiled. "Go along to your room, then I'm sure you're exhausted. We don't want one of our actresses to not be able to perform."

Yuuki could see it in those bright blue eyes, the Librarian knew she was being evasive, it was like those eyes could stare into her soul.

Yuuki didn't run away from the library and whatever was going on with this woman who could so easily pierce her social mask.

This was important.

Dryads didn't run away from things. They retreated calmly in the face of adversity. They sauntered away with the grace of a summer breeze when rebuffed socially. They ran *to* places where they were needed more. Not run away from things.

That said, Yuuki was definitely running to her dormroom, that cold sweat trickling down her brow as she fumbled with her key, only managing the lock on a third try and slamming the door behind her.

Throughout her flight, Yuuki couldn't shake the sense of being watched, and she could almost see those blue eyes, but when she tried to focus on where she thought they were, they were gone.

Most disturbing of all was the silence. nothing made noise of any kind, it was pervasive in the extreme... A glance at the clock on the wall showed over an hour had already passed.

Back in the relative safety of her dormroom, Yuuki shook off the worst of what her pride would barely allow herself to call panic. She mustered her social mask, the polite promise of a smile, the balanced serenity, a rueful cast to her features in apoligy for coming in so late and so loudly.

"Kyohei-san? Are you in?" she called, hoping he was here so she could ask a few urgent questions of her roomate, "Sorry about the noise. I lost track of time and got somewhat hasty."

Yuuki reflexsively snapped her awareness out to the plants and plant seeds she had scattered about the dormroom in hidden places and in plain sight, asking bullet questions of her 'elite guard' about what they saw, what they felt. None of it helped.

Fear. Uncertainty. Sheer terror from most of them.

She broke out in another cold sweat, that contagious terror washing through her and the pillar of her discipline barely holding firm against the inputs before she closed her mind again. She sucked in a deep breath and stiffened her shoulders, intoning firmly, "I did. Are you the girl, the young man, or the creature who... harvested the girl?"

That's what was scaring her about this. That last bit. The realization that to die in this situation might be the end of her as surely as if someone took an axe to her tree.

There was nothing more said, and yuuki could almost feel the hand, starting to grasp her throat. The sensation was opressive, and in an instant, it was over. The silence pervaded, but the sense of being watched ceased, leaving her feeling truly alone.

Yuuki sucked in a shuddering breath, dropping to her knees like a puppet with it's string's cut, shaking like a leaf in a cold wind. Her social mask broke with an audiable whimper as she let the fear out and her mystical Mask broke at the same time. Black hair flashed to green, sweat was augmented with the smell of cherry blossoms, and a pair of glowing beacons peeked out at the dark between fingers as she buried her face in her hands.

She wasn't moving anywhere for a long time, bleeding the emotion out of her.

Click to reveal..
Yuuki Unmasks her Monster form. Even if she isn't feeling very monstrous at the moment.

It was a few minutes, but the door opened again, and Kyohei stepped inside. He was looking around, and saw Yuuki, unmasked. Without fear he closed the door and moved towards her, his hand reaching out to rest on her shoulder.

"Yuuki." His voice was calm and strong.

"It will be okay Yuuki, tell me what's wrong, and I'll help however I can."

The young dryad flinched at his voice, his touch, and she looked up at him with her glowing eyes, her expression that of a child who wanted more than anything to go home rather than that of a young woman wreathed in perpetual serenity. She jerked back out of his grasp, shuddering at his blue eyes, at his damn secrets, at whatever role his bloodline had in what had just happened to her. Her pupils, all but invisible behind their glow, bore into his like drills.

"You... You, you..," she attempted to answer, thoughts drowning in fear before it ignited into anger, expression and voice suddenly wrathful, "You should have told me that you were not just angelkin but that your sister was the damned Angel Lord herself! That your damn bloodline has some kind of ghost or god haunting the school library! That it could kill me, the real me, without touching my tree! You should have told me, Kyohei, damn you!"

Yuuki's outburst ended like an explosion suddenly out of fuel and she slumped, facing downward with new tears joining the old, the dryad murmuring, "Damn you... damn you..."

He stared at her, taking in what she said. "I should have been more specific about Aoi, I'll grant that Yuuki. As for some ghost in the library, I've got nothing on that. My family are Yokai hunters, I told you this, some of the best."

He didn't know what to say beyond that. "I promise Yuuki I don't know about anything else going on I'm not exactly told everything by my sisters, especially Aoi."

As always, he radiated honesty, and this time concern. He didn't know what had happened, but he wanted to help. "Can you tell me what happened?"

Yuuki stiffened gathering her willpower, her discipline, shame flooding her as she realized what she had been doing, saying, in her weakness. "I... I will, Kyohei-San. I'm sorry. I had no call to insult you. Please forgive this foolish chit of a girl."

Her hands clenched into fists on her knees, the young dryad looking up at him through a shattered social mask that showed most of the tides of fear and shame sweeping across her thoughts, "I... I went to talk to Darrik-Sempai at his inviatation, and we talked about events, about why all five Monster Lords *and* the angel Lord showed up 'early'. He couldn't say much, bound to silence by an oath to one he respects, but promised to share when his secret became a threat to the Academy."

"I have to protect you," she continued, voice flat and certain, "And that wasn't good enough. So I asked the world to show my feet the way to Darrik's secret, and it guided me to the... the library. Something was watching me, something I couldn't see, so I asked it to reveal itself. Said that if it wanted to hurt you, it would have to take out me first."

"It showed me a book, 'The Lord of the Rings'. I opened it and..."

Yuuki looked away again, voice breaking a little as she relived the events in her mind's eye, "It showed me things. A girl, a boy of power. In love. The girl slain and... her soul... collected by something with your bloodline's eyes. The thing seeing and reaching for me... The librarian woke me. She, I... I think she has something to do with this... I ran... It followed. Scared my plants. Broke me. Left and... and... I'm sorry."

Even though she pushed him away, still he simply reacted, reaching out and pulling her to him. "Nothing to forgive especially after what happened to you. I promise I personally had nothing to do with that, and I doubt Aoi did either."

"The book, the vision, I don't know. It may be time though to talk to Miss Nekomone, or even higher, the Headmaster. If there's something else here attacking students, he should know."

He nodded. "Besides, the headmaster or his grandfather are about the only ones I know that Darrik respects that much."

The level of fear he could tell she was experiencing still, it was likely the first time she'd felt it, and his concern was easily seen on his face.

Yuuki nodded into her roomate's shoulder, drawing reassurance from the unfamilar comfort of overt physical affection. There wasn't a lot of that in the Hina Valley.

"The Headmaster and the warlocks were on my list. I'm not that stupid," she whispered, "But Nekomone-Sensei and the Newspaper Club first. Soon. Find what we can find. Never assume. Confirm and then act. That's common sense."

She sounded a little stronger, voice not shaking as much.

"Whatever you think is best, Kyohei-San," the young dryad conceded weakly, too spent and weak to argue the point further, "I just don't want the headmaster to silence me too before we can make progress on solving this. I will not have my Sisters come here with this shadow hanging over the Academy. I won't."

"Okay, Kyohei-San. Thank you," she breathed into his ear before shakily but, and this was important, independently getting to her feet, her posture unsteady but with a slow-growing fraction of her normal confident serenity over the livid emotional wounds of her encounter. Yuuki wasn't okay; but later she might be.

The scent of cherry blossoms wafted through the apartment in her wake until the bathroom door closed and the water started humming through the pipes.

Time passed and the water stopped running. Yuuki, human-looking and powers bound under her Mask, emerged from the bathroom with her sweat and tear-stained clothing over one arm, dressed in her bathrobe, and able to muster a fragile, fleeting smile to her roomate enroute to her room.

"I won't be long," she promised, "I'll just throw on my Gardening Club outfit."

"That's fine."

She emerged a few minutes later and the pair left, looking for their teacher. In hindsight it would have been wiser to get the others up, especially Kyra or Aria, as they were the best trackers, but neither of them thought that part out.

Eventually, They found Shizuka, speaking to someone.

Kyohei took it on himself to intterupt, and to their suprise, they found it was Asano, the Elemental Lord.

"We need to speak to you, Miss Nekomone."

"Kyohei, Yuuki...."

"It cannot wait."

Asano saw the look in Kyohei's eyes, and knowing the Hina, knew that there was no way she'd interrupt him without grave importance. "Go ahead Shizuka, I'm not going anywhere, we'll have time to catch up later."

He left in a flash of fire, and the three of them were alone. The look of both relief and annoyance passed from Shizuka's face, and she nodded. "What's wrong?"

Yuuki told her.

"Have you told the others?"

"No."

"Well go tell them now."

"Good, I'll have the headmaster close the library, perhaps we can get some of the Lords to look into this. I know Asano will take interest."

"I imagine so. I'll talk to Aoi."

They looked at him. "Is that wise?"

"Maybe not, but she may know something."

Archived