Aberrant RPG - Extra cost for "free" extras at Q6+

Bobson

Has anyone actually managed to figure out what the Player's Guide is saying should be the cost of the "free" extras you get with a high quantum (p. 120)? I think it's saying that you should effectively buy another dot, but gain an extra instead of gaining the dot, but it's really unclear.

I have always understood the cost to be the same as one dot of the power independent of how many dots you have at the moment, being 1/3/5 NP or 3/5/7 XP per extra that does not change the power level. The costs given in the sidebar on page 20 seem to support this.

This makes extras exceedingly cheap for high-Quantum novas, but that is the point as far as I can see it. The whole system seems kind of weird, though, as the same power with the same amount of extras will have quite different build up costs depending on your "buying" tactics, i. e. you save a lot of XP by buying up your Quantum to high levels before getting any extras.

Quote:
Inti:
I have always understood the cost to be the same as one dot of the power independent of how many dots you have at the moment, being 1/3/5 NP or 3/5/7 XP per extra that does not change the power level. The costs given in the sidebar on page 20 seem to support this.
My book isn't here, but the XP costs sounds right, but I'm pretty sure the NP cost is always 3 (this issue has come up before).

Quote:
Originally posted by Inti:
I'm not so sure. It talks about the cost of the current dot (or maybe that's the cost of a dot of the current level), and the costs given are 1/3/... and 2/5/... which aren't very helpful smirk

I'll be quite happy to go with that consensus, though, if I can get my ST to agree with it.

Hmm, you're right, it says 2 XP for Lvl 1 powers... might be a typo though. I have always used it the way I described on the rare occasion I had to do with Q 6+ novas...

I'm considering using the Mutants & Masterminds power rules with Aberrant background, as the Aberrant rules seem a little cumbersome and counterintuitive in some points.

• 7 months later...

here is a weird question then:

lets say you have a power with an extra. you then increase quatum to 6. what happens when you try to buy mastery 1 for that power?

on the one hand, at Q6 the powers level DROPED to its previous state, and your buying the level up again. on the otehr hand- level stayed teh same, and mastery is cheap to get.

Mastery always raises the level of the power, even if you have a "free" slot for an extra open. See the second paragraph of the description of Mastery on page 119 of the Player's Guide.

That said, it's been my understand that, if you have Q6 and a "free" extra for a power, and then buy Mastery, that the power level goes up by one but the extra is grandfathered in (you don't suddenly lose it because of the decrease in free slots you may incur by raising the power level). For example, Timeslip bought Sliding as the "free" extra for her Temporal Manipulation after she gained Q6; when she later bought Mastery (raising the power level to 4), the Sliding extra didn't go away.

I'm not sure if we have a ruling for the site.

Personally, my view is that order doesn't matter, there is no "grandfather" issue.

If you want a level 4 power with a free extra then you need Q6. A level 3 power with Mastery is a level 4 power. Thus at Q6, for a level 3 power you can have Mastery or a free extra but not both.

Similarly, if you have a Q5 min power and a Q8 god lowers your Q to 4, then that Q5 min power isn't grandfathered in, you don't have use of it until you get more Q.

Archived