Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Flashback] Lost and Found

Marina looks up from her food and smiles "That's great! I go diving around the island every once in a while. I'd love to have someone come with me sometimes." Marina said smiling. The young water elemental thinks all her siblings are great, but it would be nice to have someone be able to keep up with her underwater and not risking drowning.

Warren grunted "Huh" at hearing what 'metamorph' meant and thought about it.

He nodded absently at Marina's comment. Learning how to go without oxygen was high on his list of things to practice, it was a 'must have' for the serious warper/explorer.

After a moment he said, "So metamorph is like shapeshift, but at a lower level. Deeper. Something like that. I do that but with Warp. It doesn't seem like it's entirely a skill thing. We second gens have less to unlearn or something."

Warren focused again and while looking Coraline in the eyes he said, "In case I forgot before, 'Welcome Sister'."

Maia smiled. The others were taking to her so well. "I also welcome you to the family. It may seem strange to you right now, considering none of us are related by blood, but sometimes that's not necessary to bind people together."

"Thank you," Coraline managed, feeling more than a little overwhelmed by everything that was happening, a... good kind of overwhelmed but overwhelming none the less, the pressing weight of grief driving her down and the sheer goodwill from all these strangers bearing her up. She felt raw, exposed, and her fracturing chorus of tones revealed it.

"I... I'd like to sleep now. Please?"

"Yeah. It's probably been a long day for you, Coraline. Maia and I will take you to one of the empty rooms. It's probably gonna be a little barren at the moment, but it'll fill up later. After all it's gonna be your bed room from now own."

She motions for Maia and Cora to follow her back to the rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Maia nods and waits for Coar to join them. Maia and Marina both seemed to be quite accustomed to each other.

"I'll get you some blankets and pillows for tonight, and we can fix things up better for you tomorrow okay?"

Coraline nods eagerly, drops from her chair, and gives Warren one final, fragile nod of thanks before scurrying up to the other two girls, clearly eager to depart no matter what the accomidations. Blankets and a pillow were almost posh compared to some of the ratholes her family had hidden in from time to time.

Archived