Aberrant RPG - Revelation...

Blue Thunder

Alright, hear me out.

I was just reading through the Trinity timeline in the Trinity book, and I scanned over this bit:

Quote:
2021 - Aberrants proliferate globally
Or something to that effect. For some reason, 2021 is listed as the year that aberrants starts to "proliferate" in the world. So...why the sudden jump during 2021? Why not say "2021-20XX - Aberrants proliferate globally" instead? Why just this one year? Well, I was reading Asia Ascendant...

Quote:
Where the Hammersmith event took a few years to wind down, Donighal's effect lasted for decades. Some scholars of the Trinity era speculate that he and/or others renewed it from time to time; at this point it's impossible to say for sure, since nobody in a position to discuss workings of Teragen inner councils remains both alive and available for examination in the 2120s.
I'm probably going out on a limb here, but what if another weaker wave was sent out in 2021? What if someone in the Teragen managed to send out a second wave, specifically created to make an increase in Taint? I can see Scripture doing it, since he's not only above 5 Quantum but also close enough to Mal to find out how he did it.

It seems strange that the piece I just quoted from AsAs would mention the Teragen. And not only that, but go on for a while about how just maybe someone(s) within the Teragen manages to "renew" Mal/Primoris/Donighal's wave.

This could explain the rise in Taint as well. In one of the Aberrant books (the Player's Guide?) it says that as time goes on, novas will start to erupt with more Taint, and even with more than one Quantum. If a wave is sent out, it could explain why this starts happening. And if the Teragen are behind it, it makes perfect sense. They embrace Taint and Quantum, and would want the rest of the nova population to become Tainted and powerful. They would see this as a great opportunity to increase their ranks and show their enemies the "greatness" of having Taint.

So, my theory: Someone within the Teragen (likely Scripture but maybe even Mal) generates a wave of quantum energy much like the N-Day wave. This wave is a weaker version of the original, but has also been altered slightly so that the effects are somewhat different. Novas start erupting with more than one Quantum and with automatic aberrations and points of Taint, and many already existing novas are affected as well. This wave does not affect all novas that erupt afterwards or those that have have already erupted, but enough that humanity notices a dramatic change.

So...opinions? 2021 is only 6 years away from the current Aberrant time. Enough that Worldwide: Phase 3 could end with it.

The causative effect really varies depending on what sort of campaign you want to run. If it's an upbeat, sunny one with taint-resistant second-gen Nova offspring then the idea about a cure for the sterility cocktail is probably the better one to go for.

In the game that I GM for we have seen a sudden increase in the Nova population in the last year or so. Going from 6000 to 10000! But nearly all of the Novas that erupt now (say...90%) have very generic powers (blasts, flight, enhanced damaged resistance...occasionally Warp) and much greater levels of starting taint (one per dot of Quantum).

Pretty obvious what I'm doing here isn't it? These "second-wave" Novas are essentially nascent Trinity-era Aberrants. The fall is starting if you know where to look for the signs.

The reason for the boom is linked to the Terats (I don't want to say any more as a couple of my Players still haunt this site). Did someone mess up? Is the rising taint an inevitable side-effect of messing with the quantum forces time and again? Is there a darker purpose to all of this?

Hopefully the Coalition will find out before it's too late.

I agree with Stellar HOWEVER I think there is def something to Blue Thunders observation. I think, however, that since nobody in particular is hinted at, anything is speculation. ?

I like the idea of it making a story in WWPIII

So (plug plug) anyone still at all interested in an ebook WWPIII

I am interested in WWPIII, I really am, but we'll see if I'll have some free time. I'm still attached to other Aeon projects o_o We've got a lot of ideas for it now though, so we have a lot to work with. Maybe this whole "second wave" idea can be combined with the "traitor Terat" idea for a fourth scenario. Hmmm...

I don't recall where I read this, but I believe Mal was said to have been releasing smaller waves throughout the period to reinforce his original 'event.'

Supposedly, that was one reason why everything died down so spectacularly (both power levels and frequency of Eruptions) when he left the planet. He wasn't there to artificially inflate the process.

Combining this with the reference to a sudden 'boom' in Eruptions, perhaps the waves that Mal was generating where building up the potential of many latent Node-bearing baselines to Erupt as ever-more-powerful Novas, and when he stopped, something happened and they all 'hatched prematurely' at once...

What if Caroline Fong were to pop out of Chrysalis, shake up the Teragen a bit (possibly setting off the Night of Long Knives) and then use her advanced knowledge of quantum (learned from Mal) to set off the wave?

Hmmm...I like the idea. I think I shall use it in my game! Just gotta be careful how it's handled. We can't have novas setting off new waves every few years. I would think only those close to Mal would know how he did it.

And this is all assuming one wants to go with the "second wave" idea. Perhaps the sterility issue is also exposed and cured around the same time. Not only would there be more tained and powerful novas around, but there'd be kids too.

What if the new novas were caused by someone who wasn't part of the teragen?What if they were cause by a nova too full of pride, to see they do not know everything they needed to know and caused the event?

The teragen do not have to be the only ones who know these sorts of things.

As for the idea that Mal is setting off small waves to keep things up. The player guides states that because a powerful nova is so close to earth most of the people who could become psions or novas become novas. It doesn't say it is mal, but I think Mal is the most likely nova.

Archived