Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 12g: Foundling Fathers

Dawn OOC

Dylan found himself approached by Fox not long after being dropped off. “I’ve got time to take you back to DC to talk to the RUS, if you feel that’s safe.”

“I do,” Dylan said, “and if it’s not, they’ll be sorry about it in the end.”

“Sure,” Fox said, easily. He could have put some sarcasm into that, but instead he just nodded as if he expected Dylan to be able to do it. His faith in Dylan’s abilities had gotten a boost in DC. “We need to take a couple of other guys. They were prisoners in DC and were just trying to reach their fathers in the Pentagon. So we’ll be giving them a lift.”

“The guy with the funny hair and his linebacker friend?” Dylan didn’t so much guess as assume the answer.

“Yep,” Fox replied. “They’re in quarantine. Get what you need and I’ll meet you there. Jules is gathering up Galahad and Verity.”

Dylan went back to the trailer and grabbed up a laptop and one of his bags of random gear. Thinking for a moment he quickly plugged the jump drive in to his desktop and copied all the info he had on the DC area. When he had the internet at his fingertips most of this would be accessible enough but some of this data might hint at what different groups were doing in DC since Z day. Pocketing the drive he headed back out and up to Fox.

"You know sir, seemed like something was going on in there that people weren't happy about. Anything you need from me? Once the satellites are aligned I think I will have the generator up and running soon so I will have more free time to problem solve."

Dylan didn't mention the hundred problems he was already working on. Problems he was certain most had thought of and already shoved to the back of their minds for now. Still, if Fox needed help with something it would be best to build some support from the man before Dylan went to him with his laundry list of electronics needed for the next stage of his plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Jules walked over, leading an impossibly handsome man and a rather large man. "Here they are," she said, moving away from all the handsome men in the group. "Have a fun trip."

"Dylan, this is Galahad and his friend Verity," Morgan introduced, even as a warp opened behind him. The Pentagon loomed behind him through the silvery entrance. "Guys, this is Dylan Harvey. He's coming with us to talk to the head of RUS. Is everyone ready?"

After receiving affirmation, Fox guided them through the warp. Unlike their first approach, they were met not long after the warp closed. A handful of soldiers came out to greet them, led by a colonel named Wintermeyer. "Good evening," he said, coming to a stop. "What can I do for you, this evening?"

Dylan stepped forward and gave a friendly smile. "I came to hook you guys up. I have a complete electrical schematic of the subway system that shows where activity is still happening and with a bit of analysis can be traced to the source of the power. If you guys let me get on your mainframe I can also link it to the grid to give you control as promised. All of this for the low low price of the access codes needed for full access to three communication satellites."

The man blinked, then smiled. “You must be the one that the general mentioned.” Despite a bit of tension in his face, he was still friendly as he turned to Fox, Galahad and Verity. “Are all of you with him?”

“I’m his ride,” Fox said, nodding.

“And we have other business,” Galahad said. “We’ll talk more about that inside.”

“Alright, then. Let’s get you to the man in charge,” Wintermeyer said. A quick wave of his hand had the men relaxing and lowering their weapons. Turning, he headed for the front doors.

Dylan followed the man inside. As they moved through the building he made notes of what electronics that were obviously on and what was off. He tried to determine if there had been any general decay. This could be his last opportunity to determine what they had left. He made note of the number of people he saw and the weapons they were all carrying. In his mind he created a layout, drawing lines the suggested good guard routes. He drew circles at cameras, put small dashes at motion sensors.

"So, the man in charge? Who is the current president? If you don't mind me asking, who all ran, I am assuming you guys held a emergency election of some sort."

"The current president is the former Secretary of Education, Margaret Spellings," Wintermeyer said. "We haven't held elections yet, not since she declared marital law. You'll be talking to General Rochefort, the guy who's in charge of the army since General Wyatt is sick."

Fox frowned. "He's down with the z-virus?"

"Yes, he is, sadly. Those assholes in the sewers really went too far." The placid-looking man's face fell into hard lines. "General Rochefort is a good man, too, don't get me wrong. It's just wrong that someone like General Wyatt is gonna die like that."

• 4 weeks later...

"Wow, the Secretary of Education? I guess the science fiction writers are more dead on then they thought."

He kept looking for a opportunity. He had a couple minor bugs on him that if he would get one on a exposed wire he could use the satellites to easily hack in and look in on these people when ever he wanted to. Although that would require not being watched for a few minutes.

The man led Dylan and Fox to an office. Inside, a gaunt-looking man wearing stars on his collar greeted them. Rochefort had probably been a spare man before Z-day, but additional stress had winnowed him down further. His hair was balding but his eyes were clear and his voice firm.

"So, young man, you and General Wyatt had a deal, yes?"

Archived