Aberrant RPG - Navajo encryption.

Tangent

• 4 months later...
Quote:
Originally posted by PhoeniXForce:
Much like the Encryption used in Opmails in Aberrant. A new "unbreakable" encryption system has been released called Navajo.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...breakable_codes

Now all we need are people to start erupting.
Sign me up.
I love how you put unbreakable in quotes. Since encryption stays that way for only so long until some smarter mouse figures a way around the preverbal "better mouse trap".

"640kb is all they will ever need." Bill Gates

Nah! I thinks some of these writers are latent Precogs or as they put it in my Sociology class, Techno-shock writers.

A piece of technology is created that people cannot quite handle just yet, so these writers put it in a story, book or movie and then a few years later it is "invented".

I saw this in Cyberpunk. They had their "fictional" timeline of historical advances toward cybernetics. In it they stated that a human interface chip was announced in Sept. 1987. I think I still have the Popular Science article announcing it in Oct. 1987.

I saw a PBS show on just the things that have been invented off of the ideas in Star Trek (the original). I think there are a lot of people out there that are not creative in coming up with original ideas, but they can make them happen in the real world.

Having spent as many years in the military, and hearing all the things I have been privy to, I can say that some things get real close to the truth. The line out of MIB "People like their nice normal lives. They don't want to know the truth." I have seen some of that, and quite frankly I am ready for all of the truth.

I have seen a few conspiracies, most to hide someones major screw up, some just because of greed or pride. None that were Earth shattering. I saw one as simple as sneak in undeclared goods. Still it constituted a conspiracy.

con·spir·a·cy n. 1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

The problem being it is far easier to make codes that take so much raw computing power to crack that by the time it's done the message is worthless. Make a 1024 bit code.that is 2 to the 1023 power, as I recall it has so many zeros that it use a number to repasent the numbers of zeros.Also each bit makes it twice as hard to brute force hack it. 2,4,8,32,64,128,256...... That means that is easier to make codes, than break codes.

Charlie,

I think you're right about that...for example, the waterbed can't be patented because Robert Heinlein described one in his book Stranger in a Strange Land. Also, the submarine(Jules Verne), Robots(some Czech guy, made popular in US by Isaac Asimov), lots of 'inventions' that started as fiction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Cherry:
The problem being it is far easier to make codes that take so much raw computing power to crack that by the time it's done the message is worthless. Make a 1024 bit code.that is 2 to the 1023 power, as I recall it has so many zeros that it use a number to repasent the numbers of zeros.Also each bit makes it twice as hard to brute force hack it. 2,4,8,32,64,128,256...... That means that is easier to make codes, than break codes.
I will find the article about how a Mathematician used a 10GB dictionary to crack 256 bit encryption in under 30 seconds. He said that if he loaded a 20GB dictionary he could do it in under 5 seconds.

Charlie I can with my computer make a 256 kila bit encryption code. Even if he could break 256 in 5 secounds, it would take 10 to do a 257, 20 for a 258....Now duble that time frame by say 700 od times.THat wouldn't make the data in the file to be notisable large on mordern computers. By the way, what is 2, to the say the 500 power?

Too many zeros for me tonight...ah...can't go to sleep without answering that...why did you do that to Charlie frown

Don't forget, that you have to divide the number by 8 to change bits to bytes. Then divide that number by 1073741824 to get the number GBs to figure up how large the relational file is that does the encryption. Now do it in a Database and you get more mileage out of the same about of data, since you can now do a X and a Y varient. Make it a 3D database and you are getting LY out of the same raw data. Throw every language and character into it and we are talking parsecs. Make up custom characters that no one else has seen and the galaxies pass by in a blink...go Holographic and Universes pass in wonder.

Now, the amazing thing is that if you dump enough raw data into your look up table (which this fellow did) and you have a decent amount of RAM (10GB) and CPU (2.5 GHz), you really can crack 128 bit encryption in just under 5 seconds. That is nothing compaired to the speed we will see by the end of 2008. By then, you will no longer hear THz you will hear Tera FLOPS for your Palm devices. Playstation 3 is running in tests at about 120 THz. smile

I think to many people are concentrating on the encryption key....

While this is an important part of any encryption system, it is only the password or 'seed' that the encryption is based on.

The bit you want to start looking at is the algorithm that uses that key. Best case, these algorithms are one-way mathematical functions that take, for example, plain text and encrypt it using the key.

Unfortunately there are mathematical ways to break most of these algorithms, which allows the encrypted data to be decoded significantly quicker that the raw power cracking method suggests. Don't get me wrong, large keys do make cracking the code a lot harder - I'm just saying that there are ways far more efficient than raw power to get by these systems, so using them as a base for processing power and time required to crack an encryption system is a little misleading.

A good key to the effectiveness of an encryption system is to take a look at what the American government will allow it's companies to sell offshore.

I think they have recently allowed 128 bit commercial encryption system to be sold internationally by US companies - that sort of tells me that the US government can crack a 128 bit code in a reasonably short time (a matter of minutes at most).

P.S The reason the Navajo system worked back in WWII is because the Navajo language is unique to the US and it's structure (grammar, etc) bears no relationship to any other language on Earth.

The assumion used here is that current encryption methods do not have quick solutions. (NP complete ones I believe are still a vaild example and factoring large numbers (which I have been told is a vaild example)). But it is possible that government has such methods and isn't telling anyone. (There are a few examples of civilian advancements causing miltaries to releve the fact they had come up with it years before, one even relates to encryption methods)

The Navajo worked becuase the uniqueness and that no one outside the US spoke it. Navajo was an encryption method per say it used different sysmbols and not mathermatical methods. As such the methods needed to crack are very different and a lot harder. (Dead languagues can remain untranslated for long time before someone works them out) It is not used now as with mathermathical method to make a new code all you need to do is to make a new key but with Navajo if that was cracked then you have to find a new langugaue which is a lot harder.

Please feel free to correct me on points of fact here.

There is still not an official Navajo written language. There have been several attempts, just nothing that the Navajo officially accepted.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/navajo.htm

In Desert Storm I was assigned to a squad that one other and myself were the only none Navajo personal. I picked up a few phrases during that time, but not enough. When we met up with another unit, this guy came running over and started talking to the Navajo and after a minute turned to us non-Navajo and with a grin said "Sorry. I just have not spoken in my native tongue for over 3 years."

The language is complex, that is all I can say.

Archived