Aberrant RPG - Disintegration Questions

Asche

Quote:
Originally posted by David Smith:
Another way of putting that is that the system almost begs house rules to cover gaps.

Actually, it's mostly because White Wolf never intended for it's rules to be air-tight - Hence the reciting of the Golden Rule in every White Wolf book.

Also, Aberrant was never designed to be a game where rules are the be-all, end-all. It was designed to be cinematic, and part of that (when you're an ST, at any rate), is knowing when to throw out the rules for the sake of entertainment.

For those who don't like this style of game, the huge amount ambiguity in the rules seems a massive flaw, but especially in the superhero genre, it makes a lot of sense to not have hard and fast rules. Superhero comics are ridden with examples of internal rule-breaking for the sake of the storyline.

So, technically, anyone's interpretation is dead right, but generally right only for their game. I'm a big believer in the cinematic style of play, and as such, I tend not to participate in these kind of threads too much.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby1024:
Actually, it's mostly because White Wolf never intended for it's rules to be air-tight - Hence the reciting of the Golden Rule in every White Wolf book.

Also, Aberrant was never designed to be a game where rules are the be-all, end-all. It was designed to be cinematic, and part of that (when you're an ST, at any rate), is knowing when to throw out the rules for the sake of entertainment.

For those who don't like this style of game, the huge amount ambiguity in the rules seems a massive flaw, but especially in the superhero genre, it makes a lot of sense to not have hard and fast rules. Superhero comics are ridden with examples of internal rule-breaking for the sake of the storyline.

So, technically, anyone's interpretation is dead right, but generally right only for their game. I'm a big believer in the cinematic style of play, and as such, I tend not to participate in these kind of threads too much.

Bravo, yes yes yes. Now, I don't think the ST system should be an excuse for crappy editing or game design, but I don't think that it has to be airtight.

If you are looking for an airtight game that doesn't have these kind of areas of wiggle room, you really shouldn't be playing Aberrant.

“Or that could mean, "when there are exceptions to this general rule, we will let you know".

It could, but it doesn’t. If a ST wants to allow a power that cannot be resisted, the it is fine and within his/her right. A power like that isn’t disbalancing because the ST is supposed to regulate the use and distibution of such powers. It states in the books that STs shouldn’t (generally) allow player to take any power they want because you can make a really twink character.

“I'd say it is an example of poor editing. "Mental power" can be interpreted as "a power controlled by the mind" which all the powers presumably are. That is a "everyman" interpretation. WW has a specific definition for mental power and TK simply isn't one. It isn't listed as a mental power in other areas of the book, it can't be resisted with Psi-Shield, and it can't be chanelled through Telepathy+Channel.“

Psi shield does not have to protect you from a power for it to be Mental in origin. Psi Shield protects you from attack to you mind, that’s all. The origin of the power has nothing to do with Psi Shield, only the target (i.e. you mind).

And, like I stated before, WW SPECIFICALLY lists “mental powers” as a example of possible manifestation of TK.

“Guilty, guilty, guilty. I am very literal. (Just a statment of fact). That gets me in trouble sometimes.“

Then loosen up and relax. Think outside of the box and don’t take things so litterally. If you do, the, like Kirby said, Aberrant prolly isn’t the game for you.

“Meaning it (mental based powers/mental based Disin) can be used at any range through telepathy & defended with via Psi-Shield?“

See prior statement about Psi Shield and mental powers.

“Another way of putting that is that the system almost begs house rules to cover gaps. And I have no problems with house rules (meaning the ST is in charge and what he says goes). I'd put this rule at the same level as "starting characters are built with 40 Nova points."

Actually I was impressed by how well his alternative rule works. But something like that should hopefully be anounced beforehand. For example: Typically I play either Dex based or Stam based characters. That rule would make the difference between which I'd want to play... which is a mute point since I'm not.“

The system leaves space for interpritation. ALL the WW games do to a good degree. They are of the opinion that having fun and the story are more important than the rules.

If you like playing Dex and Stam based characters and you choose to play a Stam based character just because it resists the ST’s call on Disin then you are Metagaming. The Character concept should be important and should not be weighed down by rules like that.

Cin

This "non-emitting" Dis. debate must have been rolling around in my subconcious for a while now, because the angle Ive been looking for came to me in a dream. Sadly, it features Divis Mal as my example, so Im certain it will lose value upon contact with some of you...

I refer you to Divis Mal's "character sheet" towards the back of WWI. Glancing at the extras listed under Mal's Quantum Bolt (and there are a patentedly rediculous number of them), you will notice Aggravated is listed. Further down the page, you will notice Mal also possess Disintegration, something that would be redundant considering his agg. bolt.

Looking at one of the bullets describing the scope of his powers, it is explained that Mal may direct his "fire" around any obstacle, including the planet, to hit a desired target. You will note at this point that Mal's Q. Bolt does not have Homing or MIRV as an extra, and thus would not be able to actually move around anything to hit a target, unless that is some sort of stunt he has developed with his 5+ dots in the power. However, I tend to think Mal developed Dis. in order to annihilate specific targets in locations where it would not be prudent to fire off massive solar flares. This reasoning (which I belive to be sound, but hell, its a free country...) would lend itself to the notion that Mal would also not need to blast THROUGH any obstacles between himself and his target (obstacles such as the planet) to destroy someting.

If any of you plan on responding and telling me why this reasoning is faulty, please include any reasons you think Mal would develope two seperate agg. attacks unless they were going to have different methods of deployment.

Because Divis developed Q-Bolt at Q=4 (or less) and Disin when he had Q=5. Then at Q6+ he piled on the extras (Q-Bolt is actually more effective for that at Q6+). I would also give him an extra "Full Control" which allows him to turn off and on his extras at will.

Or, for the same reason he has both Elemental Anima (Plasma) and Elemental Control (Plasma). EC is better than EA in all ways. He bought one at Q4 & the other at Q5. Or put another way, they were the results of past experimentation into Q powers.

Or, Divis's stats are a rough approximation since we didn't have listings for level 4+ powers at that time. His "Disin" could easily be EC+Agg, TK+Agg, or some level 4 power + Agg.

Or, He can also snap his fingers and give himself another 80 dots of power using Q-Authority (similar to node spark). It is possible that his stat listing was "after" using that effect on himself. That being the case, he might not have complete control over what powers he gets, although he can certainly direct a rough outline.

I somehow cant picture Mal as one who developes powers accidentally. You do make some good points about the possibility that Mal only developed Dis. after a periiod of progression, but it doesnt defeat the fact that Mal likely doesnt need to fire off any type of emission to utilize said power.

Quote:
Originally posted by Strobe:
I somehow cant picture Mal as one who developes powers accidentally.
Not accidently. Delibrately as an experiment. Haven't you ever bought something and then found out that it didn't work quite as well as you thought? Or that it didn't work in combination with something else as well as you thought? Mal was basically the first real Nova. There weren't any posted rules, there weren't even any posted possibilities.

Quote:
...it doesnt defeat the fact that Mal likely doesnt need to fire off any type of emission to utilize said power.
Or that him being able to do so was so special that they felt the need to mention it specifically. Mal can do it, lesser Novas like Pax can not. smile

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: David Smith ]

Archived