Aberrant RPG - New Extras: Sensory Mask and Cloak

Blue Thunder

I was thinking of making a new extra called Sensory Mask (or some other better name). Basically, the extra makes a power's affects "invisible" to basic detection. I admit it has limited usability, since only a few powers will benefit, but I think it can still be pretty good for those few powers.

So if you have a Sensory Masked Q-bolt, it doesn't create a visible beam of light or whatever. You just aim, and it hits without creating a visible effect. Or you don't even have to physically aim...you could use a q-bolt without making it look like you are, and a baseline wouldn't be able to tell why things are getting holes punched into them. It could also be useful for powers like Immolate, Force Field, and Stun Attack. it would prevent novas with Bloodhound and certain body-mods from detecting it using enhanced normal senses as well.

I would still need to work out if it protects the power from all five main senses, or just one. Also, a lot of the visual effects of powers are up to players to make, so some may not even have visual effects anyway, so that could be a problem with feasibility. Why make an extra for something that can already be done without one?

Then there is Cloaked...this extra lets a power evade detection from other quantum abilities. I'm not sure what the exact mechanics would be, but the concept sounds decent enough. Things like Q-Attunement wouldn't be able to register it, for example. This wouldn't be able to mimic the Surreptitious extra for Telepathy though, obviously.

Are these good Extra ideas? Feel free to present your own versions, I just now came up with these to toss out here. Or use these as a starting point for other Extras.

Re: Sensory Mask- the problem is, as usual, "Does the target get dodge or not?"

If the target can't dodge, than its probably too powerful. I'd suggest that the undetectability be incomplete, at least, perhaps allowing a Perception roll to spot, at a difficulty equal to the dots in the power.

Re: Quantum Cloak- I think this works less as an extra, and more as a power. Sort of like a reduced-versatility Invisibility, that only applies versus Quantum Senses like QA and Node pinging.

Archived