Aberrant: 2011 - Un-purchasing Traits

Director 2010

As requested, in its own thread. Apologies for offense, for none was meant.

The notion has arisen about un-purchasing an inappropriate background and refunding XP spent. Since this issue affects, potentially, every player, we have opened it up to public discussion.

The chief issues are:

1) Should un-purchasing be permitted?

2) Assuming it is permitted, what traits should be un-purchasable?

3) To what degree - i.e. how many dots - should be permitted to be un-purchased?

4) How often should this be permitted?

Please discuss this below.

1) Yes.

2) All. Sometimes we flub and spend a few points and say "Oh man, I shoulda...". I use this rule myself in TT games and the rule is simple: "Proivding the character has not made use of the ability or power, then it may be bought back." The moment you use it however it's bought and paid for.

3) Only the most recent expediture for EXP. As far as Backgrounds go, well, if you lose your job or get kicked out of the Teragen, those things happen and you should not be 'rewarded EXP' be cause you decided to quit being an Elite (Backing) and start your own religion (Followers).

Everyone should be keeping Track of EXP and only the most recent spending should be permitted to be negated providing the person has not publically used those powers (or abilities) in a fiction.

Example: Balm uses Telepathy on Caramel to find out what really happend between her and Gabril Law on their trip to Rome. Later, Balm decides to mulligan her EXP but can't because she bought Telepathy and has used against someone. Buying it back causes serious continuity problems. If she raised other abilities or attributes during that time, she may buy those back, but she is now stuck with Telepathy.

4) Considering this could effect continuity, I vote for once every 6 months. You get 2 mulligans a year people, that's it.

Personal Note: As a penalty a person should NOT get back all of the EXP. A penalty of 1/3rd (rounded up) the EXP spent should be 'burned', permanently gone.

In this case. The first case that I am aware of Catalyst has mentor of 3. I have talked to a few people and we have agreed that he would be suited for that rank of mentor, but not really higher than that.

In the course of him "being rank 4" Catalyst did not gain anything that would not have been noticeable different than if he were rank 4. So it is most easy t say she did not use him.

So I think people should change their sheets in ths manor if changing the sheet would not cause an unresonable amount of reconing. That is just me.

Originally Posted By: Catalyst
In this case. The first case that I am aware of Catalyst has mentor of 3. I have talked to a few people and we have agreed that he would be suited for that rank of mentor, but not really higher than that.

In the course of him "being rank 4" Catalyst did not gain anything that would not have been noticeable different than if he were rank 4. So it is most easy t say she did not use him.

Catalyst, this thread is not about your character and frankly I'm bothered that you would just intrude upon the discussion with irrelivant facts about Catalyst. Please take your thoughts and opinions about the mentor to the appropriate Catalyst Discussion thread and stick to the topic of answering the questions.

Quote:

So I think people should change their sheets in ths manor if changing the sheet would not cause an unresonable amount of reconing. That is just me.

This is vague, but thank you.

1) No.

Long answer; I think there should be a Cluster-Fuck Clause involved with character creation and XP expenditure. The idea for this rule was started because of Catalyst's mentor, a situation that constituted a Cluster-Fuck. But I don't think that this should be available to anybody except as a last resort to declaring something non-canon and only when doing so would affect the continuity of the board. If the choice is between backpedaling and retconning something into NC, I vote for backpedaling. That's the only situation in which I see it as appropriate.

Archived