Trinity Universe: The Lost Treasure of Sir Henry Morgan

Asbjørn

"Think man, the tale of Pandora's box..." With that David runs towards the stares pausing only to grab the scabbard of his aging but well cared for sabre.

"Tom, Roughneck with me!" Darting up the stares he assumes they're behind him. *Damned impulsive of you, what exactly are you going to do whe you catch him?*

EDIT:Somehow missed the last 3 posts.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"You know," whispers Park back, "one o' them big black & white bears they have in China..."

(OOC: Oh my god!!! ::biggrin )

Bethany kicks off her shoes, pulls her small revolver out of her purse, and dashes after David and Roughneck, her bare feet slapping on the ship's deck.

I'm right behind you, boys!

"Tend that man."

Rubbing his eyes and fumbling for his medical bag, Smiley makes his way over to the stairs and kneels next to the unconscious sailor. After checking on his pulse and checking on his breathing he shouts across the room "He's alive!"

"Sound th' intruder alarm - & get after that 'mummy' fellow - sounded like he ran his dead self up th' stairs. Be careful, mind - seems like he's got some magic on his side."

"Aye, Cap'n!" The sailors hurry up the stairs as they ready their weapons, leaving only the doctor with his patient.

"Park here. Looks like th' dead chap animated. Yes, yes, I know I told 'em all... Now, report."

The voice on the other end is Hastings'.

"Er... Yes, Sir. It appears we have a power failure. We are blind and dead in the water, and lighting, heating and air circulation are all running on backup power. I have sent for Mr. Quick, Sir. Frankly, none of us here have any idea what just happened."

While Roughneck talks to the captain, Min keeps a worried eye on Bethany as she works her way through her hysterical attack, then moves over to her grandfather.

Is he alive? If so, wrap him in this.

The indian doctor looks up at the indecently dressed woman and swallows before he replies.

"Yes. Yes, he is. Thank you, Miss Benson."

Taking the blanket he pulls the sailor off to the side and wraps him up in it.

David, Tom and Roughneck charge up the stairs in pursuit of the corpse and the chasing crewmen, quickly followed by Bethany. The red, faintly flickering emergency light gives an eerie tint to the hallway as the group hurries after the crewmen.

The sailors have stopped at an intersection, one of them opening a wall panel and pulling a lever, the others wondering which way to go. Forward, left, right, up or down...?

In the few seconds of silence before several bells spread around the vessel start ringing in unison, Bethany hears someone moving on the deck below them.

In the few seconds of silence before several bells spread around the vessel start ringing in unison, Bethany hears someone moving on the deck below them.

Raising her voice to be heard over the cacaphony, Bethany points down towards her feet.

I think I hear something directly below us! What's down there?

"Think man, the tale of Pandora's box..."

*Ah - th' youth o' today... No sense o' humour in a crisis...*, thinks the Captain ::rolleyes .

"Er... Yes, Sir. It appears we have a power failure. We are blind and dead in the water, and lighting, heating and air circulation are all running on backup power. I have sent for Mr. Quick, Sir. Frankly, none of us here have any idea what just happened."

"Th' usual - we let a woman do a man's work & all Hell ::devil broke loose..." ::sly

"Just be on th' lookout for a slighty-dead wizard fellow, I'll see what I can do about th' power."

Hanging up, Park turns to Minerva,

"Best y' go with our guests & make sure they don't hurt th' ship... Oh, or themselves either, o' course..." ::sly

With that, the Captain heads off alone down a different corridor.

Roughneck glances back at her, raising an eyebrow at the revolver in her hand. "You sure, Miss Benson?"

Well, I wasn't planning on shooting through the floor, if that's what you mean - I just heard some movement, possibly made by some undead thing.

"Best y' go with our guests & make sure they don't hurt th' ship... Oh, or themselves either, o' course..." ::sly

[in the Lounge]

Minerva smiles at Park's comment and nods her head briefly.

"Yes, I will. But... ::unsure Did you hear miss Benson? She was mumbling about some curse or something? Maybe I heard wrong..."

Then she hurries off after the guests.

[The Intersection]

"Well?" Tom looks at the others. "No point in hanging around here, is it?"

With that he grabs hold of the ladder and slides down to the next level. One of the crewmen comments

"It makes sense. The engines are that way. Easy to hide there."

As Tom is on his way down Minerva comes running up to the group and stops next to Roughneck.

"So where is it?"

Well, I wasn't planning on shooting through the floor, if that's what you mean - I just heard some movement, possibly made by some undead thing

"We'd best get down there then." Roughneck smiles.

"Well?" Tom looks at the others. "No point in hanging around here, is it?"

With that he grabs hold of the ladder and slides down to the next level.

"Hasty, hasty, Tom." He shakes his head in amusment.

"So where is it?"

"Down below, supposedly. We're just about to head down." The burly ex-Marine looks askance at the narrow ladder, clearly gauging his ability to fit. Positioning himself on the ladder, Roughneck leans over to Min and says, "Keep an eye on Miss Benson for me, will ya Min? She's a bit impulsive." With a wink and a smile, he slides down the ladder to join Tom.

Positioning himself on the ladder, Roughneck leans over to Min and says, "Keep an eye on Miss Benson for me, will ya Min? She's a bit impulsive." With a wink and a smile, he slides down the ladder to join Tom.

"But I want to go with you!" ::blush

Min jumps on the ladder and slides down after the two men.

"Granddad told me to make sure you don't hurt the ship. So I have to be near you, don't I?" ::sly

[The lower deck]

In contrast to most of the giant vessel, the lower hallway is narrower, darker and colder - much like a normal submarine, really. The intruder alarm is ringing down here as well, and it's hard to hear any other sounds. There's only one direction possible - towards the rear of the sub - and as the brave men (and women..?) move along the corridor they see doors to various storage rooms along the way. The doors are all locked, and it is not until they reach another intersection the hunters have to make a choice. The corridor branches to the left and right in a Y-shape, signs on the wall declaring that they lead to port and starboard engine rooms, respectively.

Oddly enough, there are no sounds coming from either direction, apart from the constant ringing of the alarm. One would think there would be busy, shouting technicians at work in an emergency like this...

"Granddad told me to make sure you don't hurt the ship. So I have to be near you, don't I?"

Roughneck grins in return. "Understood, lit'l Min, but you can be near me and still watch out for her too, can't you?

Oddly enough, there are no sounds coming from either direction, apart from the constant ringing of the alarm. One would think there would be busy, shouting technicians at work in an emergency like this...

Roughneck's smile slips, and his voice becomes serious. "Keep behind me now ladies...and keep your eyes open. Tom, take some of the crew down the left, I'll go right."

"Down below, supposedly. We're just about to head down." The burly ex-Marine looks askance at the narrow ladder, clearly gauging his ability to fit. Positioning himself on the ladder, Roughneck leans over to Min and says, "Keep an eye on Miss Benson for me, will ya Min? She's a bit impulsive." With a wink and a smile, he slides down the ladder to join Tom.

Bethany looks somewhat incensed by Roughneck's comment.

I am not - well, I did open the chest up.

She takes a deep breathe, and turns to Min with a sheepish smile.

Don't you hate it when they're right?

She pulls the torn edge of her dress down to cover a bit more of her slip.

How are you, Min? Is that poor seaman okay?

Roughneck's smile slips, and his voice becomes serious. "Keep behind me now ladies...and keep your eyes open. Tom, take some of the crew down the left, I'll go right."

"Gotcha."

Tom tightens his grip on the spanner he picked up somewhere down the hall and signals the sailors to go with him. They move quickly down the slightly curving corridor and soon disappear around the bend.

Don't you hate it when they're right?

::biggrin "I know what you mean... But Granddad always says things like that, so he's bound to be right sooner or later..." ::confused

How are you, Min? Is that poor seaman okay?

Minerva nods her head and replies as quietly as possible while still being heard

"I'm fine. And he's going to be all right, too. He'll probably be bragging about it tomorrow. Andrews is like that."

As they move down the corridor with Roughneck's broad back in front of them she glances sideways over at Bethany and asks

"And you? Are you feeling ok? No... chinese spirits possessing you or anything?" ::unsure

David's worry is aparent on his face ::confused "I don't like splitting up, if they find the creature Roughneck alone mightn't be enough to stop it, unfotunately I can't come up with a better plan". Looking to Bethany and Min "You two going back above isn't such a bad idea, far too dangerous for a lady and a child".

(OOC:Time to get yelled at)

"The sooner we find it, the better, Davey. You come along with me, and we'll jam the ladies between us"

Nodding at the suggestion, he calls to his long time friend "Goodluck Tom, don't hesitate to call for us should you find It".

"You take rear guard"

Gesturring to his sword "With this? I think the front would allow me far more freedom... ::unsure But then you would provide better cover for them... Oh blast! The rear it is" ::sarcasm . with that he positions himself behind the others.

"You two going back above isn't such a bad idea, far too dangerous for a lady and a child".

::angry "Who are you calling a..."

"The sooner we find it, the better, Davey. You come along with me, and we'll jam the ladies between us. You take rear guard."

Min goes quiet again when Roughneck settles the issue. Peering into the badly lit corridor in front of the group, the seriousness of the situation seems to become clear to her as well.

Roughneck, taking the lead, follows the curve of the corridor until he approaches a relatively well lit doorway at the end of it. Studying the area as he walks closer he spots the 'Port Engine Room' sign on the heavy door. The room beyond is in shadow.

Pausing a few feet from the doorway, Roughneck holds up a hand to halt everyone behind him. "Davey," he whispers, "come up here and take my spot. I'm going to check it out. If I'm not back in 2 minutes, take the girls back to the Captain." He looks at Bethany and Min, his jaw set. "No arguments.", he rumbles.

Hands up in front of him, the big man moves cautiously forward into the darkened room.

Roughneck steps into the light, and realizes that he's a perfect target for anyone waiting in the shadows! ::shocked

Dropping to the floor faster than anyone watching would think a man that size can move, he feels something spinning through the air above his head, followed by a metallic noise as the object embeds itself in the wall behind him...

A quick glance around reveals no sign of the attacker, but the still warm, slightly sticky liquid his left hand rests in speaks volumes about what's happened to the technician on duty here.

At the same time, the alarm bells ringing all over the ship go silent. Somewhere nearby a speaker crackles to life, broadcasting 2nd officer Hastings' voice.

"All available hands, converge on the core room. I repeat: All available hands converge on the core room. We have an intruder."

A quick glance around reveals no sign of the attacker, but the still warm, slightly sticky liquid his left hand rests in speaks volumes about what's happened to the technician on duty here.

*Fast, and quiet. Dangerous bastard.*

Aloud, he calls back to David and the girls. "Watch yourselves, it's close."

Peering carefully around to make sure there's no other danger, he does his best to wipe his bloody hands clean on the nearest wall, then pops up and quickly makes his way to the others.

At the same time, the alarm bells ringing all over the ship go silent. Somewhere nearby a speaker crackles to life, broadcasting 2nd officer Hastings' voice.

"All available hands, converge on the core room. I repeat: All available hands converge on the core room. We have an intruder."

"Let's head back. Min, take us to the core room. Davey, up front with Min, I'll take rear guard this time."

(OOC: Damn, I missed a lot!)

Bethany is quiet for some time, nodding in agreement to most suggestions and rolling her eyes whenever the 'fairer sex' issue comes up. When Roughneck advises then to head towards the core room, Bethany again nods her assent.

"And you? Are you feeling ok? No... chinese spirits possessing you or anything?"

"Er... but what about in there? Who threw that thing if it wasn't that... mummy?"

Someone I don't think we're equiped to deal with by ourselves, Min. As to your earlier question, yes, I'm fine. The cursing is evidently something I picked up in China during my 'lost year', a time I have no conscious memory of, though Herr Doctor Freud thinks it might yet surface someday.

"Er... but what about in there? Who threw that thing if it wasn't that... mummy?"

Roughneck talks as he moves, his bulk filling the narrow hallway and forcing the others to move forward. "We'll figure that out once we've met up with your grandpa. First we have to find out how many stowaways we've got running about, then we deal with them."

The cursing is evidently something I picked up in China during my 'lost year', a time I have no conscious memory of, though Herr Doctor Freud thinks it might yet surface someday.

Still keeping eyes and ears open for danger, Roughneck can't help but ask, "You lost a whole year? How does that happen?"

Still keeping eyes and ears open for danger, Roughneck can't help but ask, "You lost a whole year? How does that happen?"

Cradling her revolver in both hands, Bethany shakes her head as they continue down the passage.

I'm not sure. I was travelling with my parents in Shanghai - Dad worked in shipping, you see - when we started to receive threatening messages from the Red Scorpion Tong. I never found out why they were so angry with my father.

She pauses for a moment, and seems to shrug off a chill.

I think there was an attack - I get flashes sometimes, like blood on a paper lantern, but then it's gone. All I know for sure is I was found wandering the streets of Hong Kong a year later; alone, wearing torn, filthy clothing and carrying no papers. A local police sergeant recognized my face from an old photo, and I was sent back to Philadelphia to live with my aunt and uncle. I was thirteen.

Her voice all but disappears.

They never found my parents.

Wiping away tears, Bethany tries to force a smile.

So that's the story of my life - or at least, the interesting bits. Come on - let's find this rotting bastard I woke up.

Guiding them back through the hallways and up the ladders and stairs, Min moves quickly without looking back.

Leaving the 6-ways intersection, they run past Mr Chang and six armed crewmen going the other way on the double. A few moments later they pass half a dozen men standing outside a locked and bolted door, but Minerva hurries past them, up a stairway and round a corner to the Captain's quarters.

Outside the door are another half a dozen men standing at attention, and Min pushes her way past them as well as another man standing at attention in the doorway.

When the others arrive, the Captain is talking to Mr Quick - the engineer,

"I'm not entirely sure - there may be some interference with th' power core, but it seems t' be safe for now. Just... just keep an eye on her."

Park glances at an open hatch in the floor of his cabin, from which a strange light seems to be flaring every now & then, a look of concern on his face...

... Turning to the man in the doorway, the Captain issues his orders,

"Keep some guards on th' core room - no-one in or out. The rest o' you, we need t' check th' engine rooms - they failed t' report in."

Heading past the crewmen he indicates for two to maintain guard of his cabin, & for the rest to follow him to the engines. To the guests who have shown up he asks,

"So, where is he?", & heads off down the corridor.

The rest o' you, we need t' check th' engine rooms - they failed t' report in."

Heading past the crewmen he indicates for two to maintain guard of his cabin, & for the rest to follow him to the engines. To the guests who have shown up he asks,

"So, where is he?", & heads off down the corridor.

"Wait, Cap'n. The men in the engine rooms are probably dead."

With a regretful glance at the women in the room, Roughneck continues.

"At least, I found one dead crewman in the port engine room. I near got my head taken off when I stepped into that room too, but I couldn't see nor hear anyone. Those rooms might be booby-trapped, or the bugger's mighty quick and quiet."

"Wait, Cap'n. The men in the engine rooms are probably dead."

"What?!", bellows the Captain, rage clear on his face.

"At least, I found one dead crewman in the port engine room. I near got my head taken off when I stepped into that room too, but I couldn't see nor hear anyone. Those rooms might be booby-trapped, or the bugger's mighty quick and quiet."

"You were there & you didn't catch th' murderer?! What sort o' an Englishman are you?!" ::angry

Park starts sprinting towards the engine rooms, shouting as he goes,

"Fetch th' doctor, & bring me a gun!"

"You were there & you didn't catch th' murderer?! What sort o' an Englishman are you?!"

Color floods the big man's face, and he barely manages to snap his mouth shut before retorting.

Growling under his breath, muscles flexing angrily, Roughneck speeds off after the Captain, easily catching up. Silent and tense, he follows, looking for any threats.

One of the crewmen hands the captain his own revolver and an extra cylinder, then heads off to get the doctor.

Expertly sprinting and sliding down the stairs and ladders, the two englishmen make good time through the corridors. Closely followed by David, Bethany, Minerva and the sailors they soon reach the Y-intersection again. As they head off towards the port engineroom the group hears gunshots, then Chang's voice shouting

"Hold your fire!! Hold your fire!! Don't shoot if you can't see it!"

A few seconds of silence follow as Park and followers sprint down the last corridor, and then one of the sailors screams and shots are fired again.

Rounding the last bend and entering the engine room, a chaotic scene greets the group. Around a dozen men stand in a rough circle close to one of the lubricant tanks near the center of the room, flashlights and rifles pointing outwards and scanning the shadows. In the center of the circle Chang is kneeling next to a fallen sailor but shortly stands up when the Captain enters the room. As he steps out of the circle the men closest to him follow and light up the shadows above and around him. Carrying a short, brutal looking oriental sword in his right hand and a pistol in his left he shouts

"He's here somewhere, Cap'n! Watch your back and stay away from the shadows!"

The men surrounding the fallen sailor unconsciously move closer together, keeping a keen eye on the surroundings. Chang turns back to them and orders

"All right! Groups of three. Move slow and careful, and watch the ceiling. We don't want any more casualties here."

Just as the men glance at each other and are about to split up, a half naked figure drops from the shadows above them. Landing with hardly a sound in their midst the figure lashes out with both hands, and the first crewmen are knocked back without even knowing what hit them. As they turn to face the threat the ancient warrior rams the dagger in his left hand into the chest of the fallen man in the center of the circle, shouting "Mixba Hurakan!!" as the blade pierces the man's heart.

In the Captain's pocket, the amulet is getting hotter.

As they turn to face the threat the ancient warrior rams the dagger in his left hand into the chest of the fallen man in the center of the circle, shouting "Mixba Hurakan!!" as the blade pierces the man's heart.

The captains earlier insult still ringing in his ears, Roughneck leaps forward with a roar, trying to tackle the murderer!

As they turn to face the threat the ancient warrior rams the dagger in his left hand into the chest of the fallen man in the center of the circle, shouting "Mixba Hurakan!!" as the blade pierces the man's heart.

"Damn you.", curses the Captain through gritted teeth, as he steps forward, leveling his revolver at the killer's chest, & fixing him with a steely gaze (ready to fire at the next hint of aggression from the warrior).

• 2 weeks later...
Bethany readys her revolver, but seems unsure if it will do much to stop the horror she inadvertantly released.

Leveling her trusted firearm at the chaotic scene in front of her, Bethany wisely holds her fire as

[...]Roughneck leaps forward with a roar, trying to tackle the murderer!

Running past the Captain and pushing one of Chang's escort aside the huge soldier charges the undead horror, sailors jumping to the side to avoid being trampled by the raging bull suddenly among them. ::angry

The warrior stands his ground, blooddripping dagger in his left hand. An evil grin spreads across his face as he turns to face Roughneck head on, and swings the axe in his right hand towards his enemy at chest height! ::devil Roughneck breaks his stride just enough to avoid being hit, but his charge is broken. His momentum carries him a few steps past the sidestepping Maya, who raises his dagger behind him... ::shocked

"Damn you.", curses the Captain through gritted teeth, as he steps forward, leveling his revolver at the killer's chest, & fixing him with a steely gaze.

The words are almost to quiet to hear, but the Maya warrior stops in mid-swing, his attention turned from his attacker to the captain. The mummy's hollow, empty eyes seem to focus on Park and he takes a half step closer to the old sailor. ::sly

Chang and the sailors, who were ready to fire everything they have into the dead body, stop as the warrior sheathes his dagger, takes another step towards the captain and stretches his left hand out towards him palm up.

... the warrior sheathes his dagger, takes another step towards the captain and stretches his left hand out towards him palm up.

Park's gaze doesn't flinch (neither does his revolver) as he reaches into his pocket & firmly grasps the amulet by it's cord. Removing the trinket he holds it up, but to the side, out of reach of the undead killer,

"Y' want this? Maybe y' shouldn't ha' started murdering my people, y' piece o' filth." ::angry

Raising the volume of his voice the Captain issues the command,

"Slap this thing in chains & haul it t' th' brig. If it twitches, then kill it again."

"Slap this thing in chains & haul it t' th' brig. If it twitches, then kill it again."

The men around the room keep their firearms fixed on the creature. Some of them cast a slightly disbelieving look at their captain, and none of them volunteer to approach the 'prisoner'. Giving them just a second's hesitation, Chang yells

"You heard the Captain! You two get the chains, and you," - he points to a group of four sailors - "hold the bastard!"

As always, the men respond to the unspoken threat in the asian's voice and the volunteers move to their assigned tasks while the rest circle the undead warrior, weapons ready.

The old king himself keeps his eyes on the captain until the sailors approach him. Looking slightly amused he lets four of them grab his arms, bend them behind his back and hold them out for the last two arriving with the chains. When the last two men grab his hands and start shackling him, he flashes Park and the group around the captain an evil grin... ::devil

...and suddenly bursts into motion! All six sailors holding tightly onto his arms, he starts spinning with the men doing their best to stop him. He's much too strong for them, however, and the only thing they achieve is to act as a shield against the shots that are fired from various nervous bystanders. Bullets fly, some hitting the poor men hanging on to the mummy, and some missing the tangled mass of arms and legs completely.

The captain - having had his finger on the trigger all along and aiming steadily at the creature's chest - spots the motion the moment it happens, but is unable to stop his own reflexive pulling of the trigger. He does manage to jerk his own arm away enough to not kill the crewman who fractions of a second later shields the undead's chest, but hits one of the tanks in the room instead!! ::blink

Pressurized steam sprays into the machine room, clouding the visibility of Chang and his men and sending some of them hurtling to the floor to avoid the heat. The only one caught in the cloud of steam who seems unaffected by the sudden heat is Roughneck. ::cool

The mummy adds to the confusion by throwing off his 'captors' in all directions - scattering the flanking groups of men - and as he completes his spin he throws the last two flying in the Captain's direction and follows in a charge, his eyes fixed on the amulet. ::sly

Staring at the creature's back whilst Park had his little conversation with it, Roughneck's attention never wavered. Somewhat expecting the creature wouldn't go quietly to the brig, the big man is still taken aback by the strength and ferocity of it's movements.

The mummy adds to the confusion by throwing off his 'captors' in all directions - scattering the flanking groups of men - and as he completes his spin he throws the last two flying in the Captain's direction and follows in a charge, his eyes fixed on the amulet.

The red mist clears from Roughneck's vision, his instincts shoving his anger aside to help him focus on the problem before him. Unbothered by the intense heat of the steam filling the area, Roughneck darts forward and tries to seize the monster legs and yank them backwards to trip it up, or at least slow it down.

Not sure where Ms. Benson is in all the confusion, Roughneck bellows out, "Beth, run back to the others, see if there's some mystic somethin' to kill this monster!"

Though certainly more brawn than brain, Roughneck hopes his obvious subterfuge will still encourage the woman to flee the danger.

Archived