The Riddle of Steel - have you tried it?

Kanseg

I recently got a copy of 'The Riddle of Steel', which was being marketed as the system with the most realistic combat system ever.

A bold statement I thought and one I wished to check having spent a number of years training in weapons based martial arts.

Imagine my surprise when I found it lived up to the hype. For any medieval fantaasy type game it is now my system of choice. I am currently considering using the mechanics in the Warhammer world as well as possibly the Lord of the Rings. This is because it is the first system designed for a fantasy world, where a knife is actually lethal!

I also found the magic system to be refreshingly useful with an element of realism that surprised me.

There are some future expansion supplements planned and if they are as good as the core rulebook I will be buying these as well.

Anybody else experienced this Jewel of a System?

Regards

Kanseg

Hi harlequin

To be honest I probably heard of it because of the same reason - I don't go out much preferring to spend my time on the internet searching the RPG forums. No I was only joking! Its's designed and published independently so its reputation is spreading by word of mouth and online.

To be honest I love the EON games because they allow me to play a games in pulp and sci-fi settings in the way I wish. Before that I had never touched settings outside of Fantasy because I did not feel I could run the game properly so that it was believeable. The game mechanics tended to feel restrictive. Possibly that reflects on my GM'ing skills. EON with the storytelling concept absolutely blew me away after years of Warhammer Fantasy.

To me 'The Riddle of Steel' is the game allowing me to play in the manner I want to in Fantasy settings. There is a level of realism but not based on restrictive rules like the rule heavy Rolemaster. This is to me the 'edge the game claims to have. To be honest I would recommend that if you are really interested to check out the website for the game. It is at the following site:

The Riddle of Steel

Regards

Kanseg

Might I suggest Eon (yes, that is its name, no joke, and no, its not Aeon), the most realistic game system I have ever seen

(and no, I have not played riddle of steel, but thank you anyway). Unfortunately it is swedish, so most of you guys might have a problem reading it.

If you wannt to, I could give you a short rundown of the combat-rules...

madcat82

Might I suggest Eon (yes, that is its name, no joke, and no, its not Aeon), the most realistic game system I have ever seen

I have absolutely no problem with that comment, given my own comments that the Eon games opened up the world of pulp, superheroes and sci-fi gaming to me.

My comment on the combat realism related to Medieval and Fantasy weapons combat, which because of my own experience in Weapons based martial arts and research I felt I was able to comment on. The combat system of TROS (as The Riddle of Steel is known) is based on actually applying various strategies and concepts such as feinting, block and strike, etc based on the researches of its creator, who is a Martial Artist in the field of Western Unarmed and Weapons based Martial Arts. I therefore put forward the point that I felt it was a very realistic combat system but with hindsight I can see that I should perhaps have qualified this as relating to Medieval and Fantasy weapons combat.

Unfortunately it is swedish, so most of you guys might have a problem reading it.

Actually it is an American based Website in 'English' because the game designer is an American (of Austrian background). I'm sure there must be a Swedish site so I can understand the confusion.

Regards

Kanseg

Archived