Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

"Well..... You and me both. Looks like just myself and Will in that case. And yes, I'm all done and ready to go."

"Don't like this one bit, oh well..." seeing Derek walk through the dosk Will is about to follow when, *Hey I wonder...*. As quickly as he can, Will whips out his phone and attemps to call Derek's phone.

[OOC: Just something that came to me as I was typing the start of the post. Does Dereks phone send/recieve signals through the open warp gate to/from the same tower that Will's phone sent the call to?]

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Firefly looks blankly at Mike's hand for a few moments  , then grins,

"Oh", she exclaims (a little too loudly - several other dancers turn to see what she's talking about), "you can't fly - I'm sorry, I didn't know..."

Somehow her tone of voice manages to make the comment sound as if Mike was impotent... 

The T2Mer giggles, & continues to dance in the air.

*And I thought that was going so well...*

Mike, hesitates for a moment, contemplating what he could do to get her back, then decides that retreat is the better part of valor in this case. He heads back to the bar, orders another drink, and scans the place to see if he can salvage something/someone to make sure the night is not a complete waste...

"Who says you're coming back..." 

Then holds up her hands & laughs  ,

"Sorry - joking. I couldn't resist. Don't worry about transport - the guys know how to get hold of me, & I'd be happy to help out again. Just... well, leave Terry & I some time to enjoy to ourselves, ok?"

"....."

::blink

"um.... ok....." ::tongue

A close examination of the walls, however, is a little surprising, as it looks very much like they've been carved out with some kind of claws...

"Hrm..... Intriguing..... Big claws, big creature....."

Suddenly, there's a slithering noise from beyond the junction ahead, & strangely shaped shadows, caught in the electric light's glare, move along the wall...

"........um........... Hello?"

As quickly as he can, Will whips out his phone and attemps to call Derek's phone.

You get voicemail. Derek's phone is off.

Finding Derek's 'phone turned off, Will steps through the warp, which shrinks to a dot of light behind him, then vanishes. The corridor behind the warp-disc leads off in a similar manner to the way the warp was facing.

"........um........... Hello?"

There's a loud & drawn-out hissing from round the corner - the shadows shift & undulate, then a figure turns into the corridor the two Novas are in...

The figure has the upper-body of a wiry & athletic woman, but instead of legs trails a long muscular tail that vanishes around the bend in the corridor. Small flashes of electrical sparks dance over the figure as she slithers up to the pair of visitors. In the dim glare of the lights strung along the ceiling they can make out slime-coated grey-green scaled skin, a hairless body with a fin running down the middle of the head & along the back, & gill-slits along either side of the neck. Easily reaching the three meter high ceiling as she rears in front of Will & Derek (although a vast majority of her massive tail remains further along the corridor, around the bend), Eel grins,

"Welcome to my place, boys..." ::devil

She offers a web-fingered hand to Derek,

"Zia is looking forward to meeting with you, Interface."

The Amp Room:

One of PathFinder's distinctive warp-discs appears near the table that Terry still sits at, then vanishes again when the lady herself steps through - dressed to kill in a white evening gown. Making sure to stay clear of the foam-filled dance floor, she leans over Terry's shoulder to give him a kiss on the cheek,

"Sorry I took so long - traffic was a b!tch." ::wink

Terry looks up, a distinct air of surprise about him as he eyes her dress. He gives Pathfinder a half grin as he says

"You just had to prove you could do it, didn't you? ::wink Guess it's better this way...Where're the others now? I want to go see the girl of course but - looking her up and down - I certainly loathe the thought delaying of our date any longer. How about I go pick them up with you later on?"

The Amp Room:

"You just had to prove you could do it, didn't you?  Guess it's better this way...Where're the others now? I want to go see the girl of course but - looking her up and down - I certainly loathe the thought delaying of our date any longer. How about I go pick them up with you later on?"

PathFinder grins,

"I think you've missed the boat on that little trip, Terry. Derek did send you a message, but I guess you had other things on your mind...", she sighs & smoothes her hands down her perfect figure (must have had a wrinkle in her dress - honest! ::wink ) ::blush , "... In any case, now I know you can create 'warps' with your powers, I'm not sure the Harvesters would appreciate me revealing their location to you." ::sly

"Hey, I hope I didn't wake you... I have no idea what time it is and this jet lag is killing me. Just for my own morbid curiousity, what can you dig up about a Teragen member named Pathfinder? Thanks..."

On the other end of the phone Heather leaps into action to get the relevant information for her new boss, but Mike is slightly distracted when he sees PathFinder turn & look directly at him across the room. The Teragen lady stares at the ex-football star for a few moments, then turns to Terry with a slight frown,

"If he wanted to know about me he could just ask. I'd tell him that, but he seems quite resistant to telepathy. Makes a girl wonder what he's trying to hide..." ::sly

Grabbing one of the passing identical bikini-clad, roller-blade wearing, waitresses, PathFinder whispers in her ear, & both look over to where Mike is propping-up the bar. The waitress smiles & giggles, then roller-blades through the foam & the crowds to grab an Amp Well from behind the bar, & brings it over to Masters' latest employee. Offering the drink on a tray to him, she glances back across the room to where PathFinder & Terry are, & comments,

"Compliments of the lady." ::biggrin

Harvester Tunnels:

"Um..... Hi there."

Eel grasps Derek's hand firmly, & shakes - slight jolts of electrical charge passing through him as she does so (painful but not damaging). When she lets him go, he finds his palm covered in a thin film of slime-like mucus. The half-eel woman grins, then looks past the silvery Nova to his companion,

"Will, isn't it? Come to see the girlfriend I take it?" ::sly

She moves past Interface, body undulating, to look down upon Will (leaving Derek fenced-in between her massive tail & the tunnel wall),

"Hmmm... I can see what she sees in you. Still you're no Glacier - where is lover-boy anyway?"

Shrugging, Eel U-turns her upper body & heads back down the tunnel the way she came, her tail trailing after her until she's entirely facing the other way. Looking over her shoulder she calls back to the two Nova visitors,

"This way, boys."

"Will, isn't it? Come to see the girlfriend I take it?" 

Will nods, holding his breath.

"Hmmm... I can see what she sees in you. Still you're no Glacier - where is lover-boy anyway?"

Clearly releaved to hear something about Nat, he lets out a sigh of releif and answers "Wish I knew... I'm sure he'll be sorry he missed you" ::happy

PathFinder grins,

"I think you've missed the boat on that little trip, Terry. Derek did send you a message, but I guess you had other things on your mind...", she sighs & smoothes her hands down her perfect figure (must have had a wrinkle in her dress - honest!  )  , "...

Terry furrows his brows

"I didn't call because you knew where to find me, I thought you'd just come back for me - Terry ponders this a second and grins - Which I guess you did."

"... In any case, now I know you can create 'warps' with your powers, I'm not sure the Harvesters would appreciate me revealing their location to you." 

"Fair enough...But if Zia hurts them or rescindes on any of his terms, I'll hunt him down personally. - Terry's rumbling voice lightens as he adds in a self deprecatingly sarcastic way - 'Course, it may take me more than a few minutes, but I can be persistent. ::wink "

Offering the drink on a tray to him, she glances back across the room to where PathFinder & Terry are, & comments,

"Compliments of the lady."

Terry nods at Mike before turning back to Pathfinder

"Right, well I'm slightly underdessed now..."

His clubbing clothes turn darker until black within black and stretch to cover his body. an eye-catching white appears under his collar and takes form. It takes only a few seconds before Terry is donning a flawless Tuxedo and offers his elbow to Pathfinder.

"You must be tired, allow me..."

edit: took out the last paragraph to clash less with Glacier's arrival

John smiles slightly and closes his eyes as the chill Ibiza night air runs through his bleached locks, then hops up the steps as he arrives back at his hotel. He nods at the clerk, then heads up the elevator and up to his room..

Empty? What's going on? He furrows his eyebrows, then shoots a look at his Masters Inc. issue phone, sitting on a desk next to his be. He picks it up and quickly accesses the message on it:

"Where are you? Pathfinder has collected me. Am going to see Natalia. Reply with current location if you wish to join us."

He raises his eyebrows. "Pathfinder? Natalia? What the.." He shrugs. "The things you miss by taking a walk these days.."

Then he smiles.

A bit later, a familiar figure makes its way through the wild orgy that is the Amp Room, showing a suspicion of the ursine whenever a light flashes by it.

Glacier quickly catches a few familiar scents, and shortly appears behind Terry to address Pathfinder himself with a smirk.

"A little bird told me you took the others to see Natalia after all. So - who are you and what have you done with Pathfinder?"

He grins at Terry and adds, "Oh, sorry to interrupt.."

Offering the drink on a tray to him, she glances back across the room to where PathFinder & Terry are, & comments,

"Compliments of the lady." 

Aaron takes the drink and thanks the waitress, then nods and gives a cordial smile back to Pathfinder.

He continues to man his perch at the bar, noticing Glacier come in and trying to see if he can find any likely marks to try out his hitherto unsuccesful charms on.

Eel grasps Derek's hand firmly, & shakes - slight jolts of electrical charge passing through him as she does so (painful but not damaging). When she lets him go, he finds his palm covered in a thin film of slime-like mucus. The half-eel woman grins, then looks past the silvery Nova to his companion

The shock sets Derek's teeth on edge, and his eufibre can bee seen to 'ripple' away from Eel's touch....

One the contact is broken, Derek's attention is quickly focused on the mucus left on his had, and checks it for, well...... everything.

After a quick analysis of the mucus, Derek follows Eel into the tunnels. (of DOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!! ::wink)

Harvester Tunnels:

"Wish I knew... I'm sure he'll be sorry he missed you"

Eel shrugs - a ripple passes the considerable length of her body - & just replies,

"His loss..."

One the contact is broken, Derek's attention is quickly focused on the mucus left on his had, and checks it for, well...... everything.

*Hmmm... A striking resemblance to the mucoid glyocoprotein secretions of the genera of teleostean fish of the order Apodes [or eels ::wink ], with electrically conductive & thermally insulating, as well as lubricating, properties...*, ponders Derek, as his Quantum senses dive into the molecular structure of the slime coating his hand.

Following their hostess through a series of maze-like tunnels [like there's any other kind ::tongue ], the two Nova visitors hear occassional strange, inhuman, noises, & witness shadowy reflections of... 'things'... but meet no other Harvesters until they emerge into a large, open, cavern. The cave is filled with scientific & medical equipment of various designs - mostly very high-tech stuff - & has large computer screens plastered all over the place. Powerful lights set into the ceiling provide ample illumination, & both glint off the polished edges of metal tables & surgical tools, & reflect from numerous glass beakers, bottles, & tubes. The computer screens display a vast & complex array of technical data - most prominent is a huge CGI display of a DNA strand.

Standing in front of the multi-coloured helix image, back to the Novas, is a diminutive man in a white lab-coat. He looks to be in his late thirties, or early forties, & has grey-streaks already forming in his neat brown hair. A weird clicking noise distracts attention from the man, & draws it towards the ceiling. Effortlessly grasped onto the rock high above the Novas is a terrifying insectile creature - it's body is vaguely shaped & sized like a slim human, but it's shiny black exo-skeleton (with some green & red mottled patterns), feathery antenna, compound eyes, & paired manibles bare little resemblance to any human face - & the two pairs of wings folded along it's back don't help either. Not to mention the fact that it has four slender arms ending in three-fingered claws, & legs of a similar design ::blink . It eyes the guests, unblinking, as it's jaws work to produce the weird clicking noise.

Eel glances up & waves, then undulates over to the lab-coated man - whispering in his ear as she reaches him. He listens, then turns, his expression friendly (& face perfectly normal - pretty average in fact). For a moment he looks the guests over, then speaks up - his voice level, but firm,

"Welcome, Interface...", he spares Will a glance, "... & friend."

Beckoning Derek over to his side, the man turns back to the huge representation of DNA,

"Fascinating subject this one... There's evidence that certain inherited traits have been bio-engineered in earlier generations - see the markers - there", he points, "& there. Amazing, really, considering the time frame for gestation & maturation in each generation, wouldn't you agree, Interface?"

The Amp Room:

"Fair enough...But if Zia hurts them or rescindes on any of his terms, I'll hunt him down personally. - Terry's rumbling voice lightens as he adds in a self deprecatingly sarcastic way - 'Course, it may take me more than a few minutes, but I can be persistent.  "

PathFinder nods,

"I'll be sure to pass that on..." ::sly

"Right, well I'm slightly underdessed now..."

The Terat grins,

"I've no problem with you being undressed, Terry..." ::wink

"You must be tired, allow me..."

"By all means", replies the Nova beauty, "but..."

"A little bird told me you took the others to see Natalia after all. So - who are you and what have you done with Pathfinder?"

"... Glacier wants a word first.", she finishes. Rolling her eyes at Terry ::rolleyes , she then turns to face the bear.

"Oh, sorry to interrupt.."
"Not at all...I thought you'd be gone with the others John."
"I didn't even know they were going, they waited until I went on a walk to make their escape."

"Sorry", says PathFinder, "my fault - I relied on Interface's use of technology to contact you, instead of my own abilities. Proves the point though, I guess..."

Casting a glance up & down John's anima-shrouded body, she adds,

"I could transport you to the others if you wished - Eel would never forgive me if I didn't at least make the offer..." ::sly

Aaron, meanwhile, is spoilt for choice when it comes to Nova 'talent' - from those with supermodel looks, to the inhumanly beautiful, to the really good looking - not to mention the weird looking ones. The thought does linger in the back of his mind, though, that he's meant to be here to work, rather than play... ::sly

"Sorry", says PathFinder, "my fault - I relied on Interface's use of technology to contact you, instead of my own abilities. Proves the point though, I guess..."

Glacier's smile is almost good-natured. "Technology only works if you carry your cell with you."

Casting a glance up & down John's anima-shrouded body, she adds,

"I could transport you to the others if you wished - Eel would never forgive me if I didn't at least make the offer..."

A blue light chances to flash across the lower part of Glacier's human face, causing his bone-white teeth to flash, displaying an incredibly predatory grin, complete with pronounced canines that bear a more than slight resemblance to fangs locked with his lower jaw.

"And nobody deserves to be the victim of that kind of grudge that early in their life.

"I'll take you up on that."

Terry nods

"I'm glad you'll be there, its good to have some muscle to back the guys up. If anything happens - Terry throws a glance at Pathfinder - I'm sure we'll know but just in case her mind is...elsewhere...well, try to contact me or even Masters some way or another."

Hmmm... A striking resemblance to the mucoid glyocoprotein secretions of the genera of teleostean fish of the order Apodes [or eels  ], with electrically conductive & thermally insulating, as well as lubricating, properties...*, ponders Derek, as his Quantum senses dive into the molecular structure of the slime coating his hand.

Mumbling out loud, in thought:

"Wow..... So Eel's change isn't simply cosmetic..... Interesting......"

The cave is filled with scientific & medical equipment of various designs - mostly very high-tech stuff - & has large computer screens plastered all over the place.

Setting eyes to WIDESCREEN. How does this compare to the facilities at MI?

"Fascinating subject this one... There's evidence that certain inherited traits have been bio-engineered in earlier generations - see the markers - there", he points, "& there. Amazing, really, considering the time frame for gestation & maturation in each generation, wouldn't you agree, Interface?"

Thoughts: Ah, geek pi$$ing contest. Let's see how I do

Interface will do his best to keep up with Zia. Not seeking to outperform or embarrass (though I don't think that that's a possibility), just seeking to appear to be a colleague, rather than a moron..... ::wink

The Amp Room:

... but just in case her mind is...elsewhere...

PathFinder grins, & for a moment Terry's mind is elsewhere - as rather... interesting... images of the sort of evening he & the lady may well enjoy pop into his head... ::blush

Turning to John, the Terat nods,

"No problem - since Terry has offered to handle the transport for our evening I think I can send the two of you on your way..."

She nods towards Mike sitting at the bar,

"I'm guessing that Masters' little mentally-shielded lap-dog will want to go & see how much damage he can do. Would you mind asking him, Glacier? I'd rather not get foam on my dress, & he's not 'listening' to me."

The Tunnels:

"Wow..... So Eel's change isn't simply cosmetic..... Interesting......"

The serpentine woman glances down at Derek,

"Come by my room some time - maybe I'll let you examine me properly..." ::wink

Setting eyes to WIDESCREEN. How does this compare to the facilities at MI?

Despite the rather Neanderthal setting, the equipment looks every bit the to that in the MI labs - possibly superior in some cases (it doesn't look like Dr Zia is too concerned about Project: Utopia's S & T division regulations... ::sly ). The genetic analysis & bio-chemistry equipment is especially impressive.

Derek manages to easily follow Zia's (for it is he) comments & explainations - at least to begin with. Straight away he realises that the DNA represented on the screen is human DNA, & recognises the genetic markers which Zia points out. They do, indeed, appear to indicate evidence that - several generations ago - this person's progenitors were subject to genetic tampering of some variety. More accurately, her progeniteurs - since the markers are located on female-only sequences. The Terat doctor produces further data - blood analysis with strange irregularities in some of the cells, brain scans, etc. - & the scientific discussion continues. Eventually, Derek starts to loose track of Zia's lines of reasoning as the Doctor's comments & observations get more & more complex...

... Meanwhile, the insect-like creature observes for a while, then scuttles across the ceiling above Will, & drops to the floor - on all six limbs - in front of him. After casting it's eyes over the Nova, it stands & walks right up to him. Close-up he realises that the slender figure is shorter than he is, & has certain traces of femininity about it's chitinous curves. Turning it's... her... head, she allows her antenna to tickle slowly across Will's face...

... Dr Zia pauses, & stares for a few moments at Derek. Then, with a smile, he says,

"You're very intelligent - that's good. I understand you've already begun to decode Dr Maxwell's book? This," he waves a hand towards the complex research on the computer screens, "would go a lot quicker - & be more likely to garner helpful results - if you were willing to help me in my studies. Emelia," he glances towards the insect creature that appears to be examining Will, "& I would both be glad of your addition to our little research group."

*Rock walls! I told them!*

Turning it's... her... head, she allows her antenna to tickle slowly across Will's face...

With with what began as caution, turned into a look of curiosity followed by a chuckle ::bigsmile "And hello to you too, I'm Will".

(OOC: Prof you didn't, did you? ::unsure Tell me you didn't! ::nervous I mean, you'd say something if you did right? ::confused )

"I'm guessing that Masters' little mentally-shielded lap-dog will want to go & see how much damage he can do. Would you mind asking him, Glacier? I'd rather not get foam on my dress, & he's not 'listening' to me."

Glacier shrugs. "Not at all." He turns on his heel and strides through the foam, accompanied by a quiet hiss as it crystallizes and falls.

Moving up behind Michael, he moves to tap his shoulder, but thinks better of it.

"Hey, Michael. I'm about to rejoin the others to see Natalia. Care to join me?"

(OOC: Prof you didn't, did you?  Tell me you didn't!  I mean, you'd say something if you did right?  )

OOC: You lost me.

"You're very intelligent - that's good. I understand you've already begun to decode Dr Maxwell's book? This," he waves a hand towards the complex research on the computer screens, "would go a lot quicker - & be more likely to garner helpful results - if you were willing to help me in my studies. "

Derek, looking up from a place of deep concentration, takes a moment to focus on Dr. Zia's words.

"......"

"Oh..... right, yes. Of course. Here is the book. I'm finding it quite complex. It took me several hours to decipher the first page. And despite the warning, there doesn't appear to be any poison on the pages. At least none that's easily identifiab........."

Derek smacks himself in the forhead.

"Idiot......"

Interface examines the book on a molecular level to see if there's any anomolies.....

"And hello to you too, I'm Will".

The insectile girl (refered to be Zia as 'Emelia') pauses in her antenna-sweep of Will's face as he speaks, then takes a step back & tilts her head to one side, mandibles making the strange clicking sound. She pauses again, then suddenly unfurls her gossamer wings & leaps backwards, wings catching the light from the ceiling illumination & reflecting it back in a rainbow of colours. The noise her fluttering makes is a gentle purr, despite her size. She alights just behind Dr Zia, refolds her wings, & steps up next to him. The Doctor spares her a brief glance, then, just as briefly, narrows his eyes as he glances towards Will, then turns back to Derek.

Eel undulates across the cavern & encircles the Nova speedster, whispering in his ear,

"I think she likes you, pretty boy..." ::sly

"Oh..... right, yes. Of course. Here is the book. I'm finding it quite complex. It took me several hours to decipher the first page. And despite the warning, there doesn't appear to be any poison on the pages. At least none that's easily identifiab........."

An eager glint flashes across Zia's eyes, but just for a moment, as he sees the book (maybe just a trick of the light... ::halo ), but he makes no move to take it from Derek yet.

"Idiot......"

The Terat Doctor raises an eyebrow at Interface's outburst, & Emelia visibly flinches & moves a little behind the diminuative Zia.

Derek lets out a (short) girlish shriek!

"Bugger! Crap! Fsck!"

"........"

"How deep are we????? It's NOT paper!!!!"

Derek waves the book around, panic-stricken.

"I've been FSCKING tracked!!! The book! It's NOT paper!!!"

"And it IS poisoned....... *AND* tt's radioactive. They can trace the isotope!!!

"HOW DEEP ARE WE???!?!?!?!?!??!??!!?"

Eel undulates across the cavern & encircles the Nova speedster, whispering in his ear,

"I think she likes you, pretty boy..." 

"Yeah but that's most people" ::wink Will replies smugly, looking back at Emilia still facinated by her...

Derek waves the book around, panic-stricken.

"I've been FSCKING tracked!!! The book! It's NOT paper!!!"

"And it IS poisoned....... *AND* tt's radioactive. They can trace the isotope!!!

"Poisoned? Radioactive? You have got to be shitting me!" Will stops for a second to think "Here give it to me, the docs said I'm good with poisons and stuff" to Zia "You don't happen to have a lead box lying around by any chance?"

The Amp Room:

Glacier & Mike head back over to PathFinder, who gives Terry a quick kiss, then leads the two travellers into one of the club's back rooms. The Terat seems to concentrate for a moment, then a dot of light appears in the centre of the room, rapidly expanding into a circular 'doorway' to another place - a cavernous room filled with scientific equipment & computers, as well as several Novas...

Harvester Tunnels:

"You don't happen to have a lead box lying around by any chance?"

Zia remains calm, his only reaction a raised eyebrow,

"One-hundred & seventeen meters, at this point. I doubt anyone could track a signal down here, & poison usually has little effect on us."

Emelia, after recovering from the shock of Derek's outburst, steps to the bank of computers & nimbly taps a few keys with her chitinous fingers, bringing up a string of complex information on one of the smaller screens. Glancing at the information, Zia says,

"There - you see, no evidence of any intruders in the area. Still, if you'd be so kind as to neutralise that isotope, Interface - just to be on the safe side."

Eel - who reared up alert & ready for action at Derek's scream - sighs & relaxes again.

At that point, the glowing disc of PathFinder's warp appears at the edge of the room, as Glacier & Mike walk through.

"Ah, more guests...", comments Eel, who then waves through the warp at her friend, "... Thanks 'Finder."

As the two Novas walk from the Amp Room to the tunnels, Eel grins at Glacier,

"Hello lover - couldn't resist me for long I see." ::sly

The Amp Room:

Her job done, PathFinder returns to where Terry waits at his table,

"That's done - now, let's see if we can't have the rest of the evening to ourselves..."

Her job done, PathFinder returns to where Terry waits at his table,

"That's done - now, let's see if we can't have the rest of the evening to ourselves..."

Terry smiles as he offers his arm to Pathfinder an extends the other in front of him. The air shimmers as a circle of blackness forms in front of him, a mere speck in the middle. In the blink of an eye the dot grows into the dark skyline of a city as it is pulled towards them.

"Après vous, mademoiselle"

Stepping through, Terry and Pathfinder find themselves atop a steel frame tower overlooking the bustling city.

"I used to live here you know, before I erupted that is... - Terry eyes the city nostalgically as his eyes widen - What the hell happened here! It looks like it was hit by a meterorite or something..."

Terry points at the floor behind him towards a gaping hole. Looking through reveils the inside of the Tokyo Tower, the barely days old signs of battle being cleaned up by the construction crews inside.

"Hello lover - couldn't resist me for long I see."

Glacier laughs cheerfully. "No force of earth or hell could have kept me away." The grin falls from his face and he contents himself with a slight smirk as he takes in the situation.

"Derek, this is Michael. He works for Masters, Kane sent him into Ibiza to help us out."

At that point, the glowing disc of PathFinder's warp appears at the edge of the room, as Glacier & Mike walk through.

Activating That creepy feeling, trying to get a good idea of what type of surveillance systems are watching him in here...

"Hello lover - couldn't resist me for long I see."

Glacier laughs cheerfully. "No force of earth or hell could have kept me away." The grin falls from his face and he contents himself with a slight smirk as he takes in the situation.

*Ok, I guess to each their own...*

"Derek, this is Michael. He works for Masters, Kane sent him into Ibiza to help us out."

Mike takes in all of the scenery of the room with a very careful eye...

"Derek. Nice to meet ya."

"There - you see, no evidence of any intruders in the area. Still, if you'd be so kind as to neutralise that isotope, Interface - just to be on the safe side."

"......"

::blush

"Good idea...... Actually, if you have a basin of some sort, I can try to convert the isotope into a liquid, maybe, and thus seperate it from the book on a permanent basis......"

Interface focuses on the book again.

Tokyo:

... What the hell happened here! It looks like it was hit by a meterorite or something...

PathFinder also surveys the damage with all-white eye's wide ::blink ,

"Impressive work, whoever caused it! I must watch more 'N!'..."

Standing closer to Terry in the chill breeze atop the skyscraper the Terat woman looks concerned - for a moment he thinks it's for the people who probably suffered at the hands of such a destructive force - then she asks,

"That restaurant of yours wasn't down there was it? I was looking forward to dinner."

The Harvester Tunnels:

"No force of earth or hell could have kept me away."

Eel undulates over to Glacier, rearing in front of him to eye level, then gently passing her hand through the icy cold surrounding the young Nova & laying her webbed fingers on his chest. She smiles as frost forms on her outstretched limb, & electrical sparks dance over John's chest where she touches him,

"Feels good...", she mutters quietly.

Activating That creepy feeling...

[There are indeed several cameras & microphones in the room, which Mike quickly pinpoints - although they appear more set-up to observe the experiments or medical procedures which presumably go on in this room than as security - being focused more on the various work surfaces & tables than on the entrances or exits.]

"Derek. Nice to meet ya."

Eel spares Mike little more than a glance - being far more interested in Glacier ::wub . Emelia looks up from her keyboard & stares at the new arrivals with her unblincking, glittering, compound eyes. Zia also looks over, but only for a moment, quickly returning his attention to Derek.

"Good idea...... Actually, if you have a basin of some sort, I can try to convert the isotope into a liquid, maybe, and thus seperate it from the book on a permanent basis......"

The Teragen doctor nods towards one of the many empty beakers in the room. Taking the glassware in one hand, Interface focuses on the book. A moment later small beads of a silver liquid condense on the leather cover, quickly forming rivulets & flowing off the book to drip into the beaker. Zia nods his approval,

"You changed the isotope to mercury? Most impressive, & very imaginative. I assume the mecury will still be radioactive? We'll have to arrange for that to be dispossed of in a safe place."

Suddenly Emelia rips her gaze from Mike & John to look at the strings of information flashing across the monitor she's working at. Her clicking noise increases in speed & volume, & her fingers fly over the keyboard at speed. Zia & Eel both look over to the insectile creature to see what the fuss is - with a final keystroke an image appears on the largest screen in the room: a street-level shot of what looks to be a small mid-Western American town, with a few people quietly going about their business. Then - the view rocks, as an incredibly hi-tech looking sleek matt-black aircraft overflies the town, very low, & very fast. The people in the street do their best to stop being bowled over by the wash of the passing aircraft, as the windows which are visible in the shot implode, showering glass everywhere! What's more, a multitide of small silver canisters scatter & bounce down the street - apparantly dropped by the 'plane - spewing their contents of compressed white gas. The people appear to loose strength & start to drop where they stand. As the white smoke drifts across the view on the screen, the shape of the large aircraft can just be made-out, now hovering low above the town, as ropes are flung out & armoured troops begin to descend...

Zia leaps for the various computer controls, with swift, but calm, action. Another view appears momentarily on the main screen - then the screen goes blank! The Doctor looks at the blank monitor for a second, then turns & comments,

"They're blocking communications - it appears we're under attack. Eel - if you'd be so kind as to rally the troops. Gentlemen," he faces the Novas, "you're under no obligation to aid us in our defense, but the effort would be appreciated."

Pulling away from Glacier, Eel swears, then (with a quick look back to blow the bear a kiss) heads down one of the tunnels that leads from the chamber.

"You changed the isotope to mercury? Most impressive, & very imaginative. I assume the mecury will still be radioactive? We'll have to arrange for that to be dispossed of in a safe place."

Interface frowns slightly.

"Honestly, I don't know. Typically, I convert things at the molecular level. I've converted the isotope into Mercury, and typically mercury isn't radioactive. Though, saying all that, I've not done this to a radioactive substance before, so it's possible the instability remained....... hmmmm...."

Interface starts to study the liquid, when suddenly

sh!t hitting fan

Derek visibly pales, clutching the book to his chest, and almost spilling the mercury on himself.....

"They're blocking communications - it appears we're under attack. Eel - if you'd be so kind as to rally the troops. Gentlemen," he faces the Novas, "you're under no obligation to aid us in our defense, but the effort would be appreciated."

Interface visibly calms. He places the book and mercury carefully down on the table.

"Fine. All I wanted was some simple, quiet study time......." ::angry

Interface follows Eel, the air visibly compacting around him.

Standing closer to Terry in the chill breeze atop the skyscraper the Terat woman looks concerned - for a moment he thinks it's for the people who probably suffered at the hands of such a destructive force - then she asks,

"That restaurant of yours wasn't down there was it? I was looking forward to dinner."

Terry steps away for a second, frowning at Pathfinder and slowly shaking his head

"No...no the restaurant isn't down there...C'mon, let's go."

Terry leads Pathfinder to the edge of the platform

"Mind your step"

Terry pushes against the side with Pathfinder and they find themselves slowly drifting towards the ground, a beacon to the crowd below. They part as the couple walks through the crowd to grab a Taxi. After opening the door for Pathfinder, Terry lets himself in an speaks in a fluent if slightly accented japanese:

"Take us to Ginza Kyubei"

Turning to Pathfinder he continues in English

"It's by far the best Sushi restaurant anywhere...way back when there's no way I could get in without a reservation, but I think that's changed now ::wink "

The Harvester Tunnels:

"Wait! Before you go, tell me where can I find Nat?"

Eel doesn't look back, but calls,

"No time! You can see your girlfriend after we've dealt with the intruders."

The serpentine Terat rapidly vanishes through one of the tunnels that leads from the 'lab', Emelia, Derek, & anyone else who cares to follow hard on her (proverbial) heels. Zia takes a quick, apprasing, look at the others, & turns his attention to the computers.

Eel slithers through the tunnels, calling out a general alarm, & twisting off into side rooms to gather her fellow Harvesters. Emelia splits away from the larger Terat to gather others. Soon there are several strange & twisted Novas heading towards the intruders - from a large rhino-skinned mound of muscle, to a woman who's flesh appears to be melting, to a figure made out of nothing but shadows, & even a trio of perfectly normal looking teenage children (two boys & a girl) who appear to be related but who finish each other's sentances & act in a strange unison. Figures with faces growing from their chests, or tentacles sprouting from their shoulders, or putrid slime flowing over their skin add to the small army of mishapen Novas, shambling, oozing, & flapping to engage the enemy.

The Harvesters divide up, checking different tunnels. Eel calls for Derek (& any others) to stay by her. A couple of minutes after the attack occured they've headed to the uppermost of the tunnels. Rounding a corner they come face-to-face with a squad of troops clad in high-tech body armour & carrying advanced weaponry. Masters International armour & weaponry...

Tokyo:

PathFinder smiles as Terry levitates the two of them to street-level, but appears to ignore the throngs of locals who stare excitedly as the Novas pass by them. The ex-policeman notices several of the crowd are wearing T-shirts with a picture of a masked man carrying a set of Daisho in battle with a giant humanoid mass of electrical goods, high atop the Tokyo tower. The symbol for 'Samurai' is on some of the T-shirts. Others sport shirts with twin images of this 'Samurai' & a young, punkish, but very cute, Japanese girl who appears to be called 'Nezumi'...

"Take us to Ginza Kyubei"

The taxi driver appears very pleased with his Nova fares, & the couple are soon speeding (as best as one can in Tokyo traffic) to the restaurant.

"It's by far the best Sushi restaurant anywhere...way back when there's no way I could get in without a reservation, but I think that's changed now  "

"Yes," replies PathFinder, "now they'll feel privallaged to even be in your presence. Or were you talking about your Masters International credit card?" ::wink

Stepping out of the cab as it reaches the restaurant, the driver refuses point-blank to accept any money for the journey, & keeps thanking Terry for the honour of allowing him to transport the couple. He promises to - if Terry wants - wait outside until they've finished. Getting a table in the restaurant is no harder, as the staff leap into action to bring the Novas anything they want. The other patrons, & passers-by, all stop to watch the Quantum celebrities - the place is soon filled to capacity, with more people peering through the windows. PathFinder glances around, then comments,

"It's sad really, the effect we have on them - if more could develop beyond such petty fantasies, then I'm sure that more of them would find their own paths & erupt. They fail to realise that eruption & evolution are personal, not corporate, journeys."

The Terat shakes her head,

"I can see why many Novas like these islands, but it's all just more of the same social web that traps us & prevents us from developing further as Novas. It's easy to be worshipped, but difficult to be a god."

"No time! You can see your girlfriend after we've dealt with the intruders."

Glacier shakes his head. "No! Will, get Nat out of here. You-" He points to Zia "-tell him where she is. We both want her safe, and this is no place for a baseline. Consider it the price of our help. Will, if you can get out of the jamming field, you can also place a call to some of our warper friends and start an evacuation."

That said, he bounds off, hot on Eel's tail.

Rounding a corner they come face-to-face with a squad of troops clad in high-tech body armour & carrying advanced weaponry. Masters International armour & weaponry...

Glacier snarls, the bear hardening into a animated opal statue as he strides for the intruders [Force Field on], flanked by Eel and co. Suddenly he stops in his tracks as he recognizes the Masters Inc. logo. Hesitating, he looks around to Derek, unsure how to proceed, wondering if they're any chance he might be able to pull rank on them..

*Betrayal*

Seeing the men in MI body armour, there's only one conclusion to be drawn.

Kane antcipated the snatch, and had a team on stangby.

Derek has been used, nothing more than a pawn in Kane's (Masters's?) plan to retreive Natalia. And possibly wipe out a potential competitor.

Interface's rage erupts........

Archived