Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

[OOC: Prof, I'm assuming there are scars, even with rapid healing and medical attention, there should be some evidence of injury. Please correct me if I'm wrong.]

[Actually there wouldn't be any in this case - thanks to his dodge-based Durability he never really got hit with more than a glancing blow.]

\"Well, Blaze and I could always arm wrestle. Or, as this is a nightclub, we could follow Glacier's example and have a dance or two. Pathfinder, would you join me for a dance?\"

"Well," replies PathFinder, "the testosterone-fueled macho-competition sounds good, but I guess I'll settle for a dance." ::wink ::biggrin

She stands, smoothing down her rather brief dress, & offers a flawless pale hand to The Stranger.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Standing with her, The Stranger takes her hand in his own. As he strolls with her to the dance floor, his clothing changes again, adapting itself to more suitable attire. By the time they halt together, The Stranger is dressed to the nines in a very fashionable, very flattering, 3 piece suit. His hands remain gloved, but the glvoes themselves are now thin and supple, rather like calfskin. His mask remains, but has become less intimidating somehow.

Letting the music wash over him, he moves to the beats, easily keeping pace with Pathfinder.

[A couple Style rolls here, Prof, if you please... ::smokin ]

[A couple Style rolls here, Prof, if you please...  ]

[Yep - it's much more a Style type of dance-situation than an Ettiquette or Perform type, so...]

The Stranger & PathFinder make a dazzling couple on the dance floor, although the alluring Teragen female outshines the masked vigillante: even though he actually moves better, she's a lot nicer to look at... ::blush ::wink

Whilst cavorting to the music, The Stranger manages to take his eyes off his glamorous dance partner long enough to note that Glacier & Eel are no-where to be seen. A moment later PathFinder grins at him & comments,

"I wouldn't worry - I'm pretty sure those two are having a good time - Eel's a bit of a 'man-eater'..." ::wink

When they're alone Nate turns to Will, looking a bit concerned. \"Hey, buddy... You ok? Wanna tell me what happened just now? I didn't know you were a telepath as well...  \"

"I'm not... at least I don't think I am... Ever since Derek injected me with the virus, I've been having these grim visions. The first was vivid but I thought I was hallucinating, the second when I was dreaming, and now this... I'm starting to think they're not dreams, they're all pretty scary..."

(OOC: Sorry about not posting before Proff, but nothing I would have had Will say would have benefited the situation, infact quite the opposite, so I decided to keep quiet. Although, Pathfinder just thinking Will is nuts can be quite useful... or is there something you're not telling me about my pc???)

At this point, a metallic-blue-skinned individual strolls up to the table, dressed in what could best be described as a 'Saturday Night Fever' disco suit, looking like blue silk (same shade as skin), with a white shirt. Which *isn't* turning purple when in the vicinity of a UV light.

Interface smiles to the group:

"Hey there, what did I miss? I think my ears may have been burning there, but I didn't catch anything other than my name....." ::wink

On the dance floor The Stranger begins to notice that PathFinder is glancing at the group upstairs every so often. A few moments after he notice her doing it, she stops... ::wink

Backing into her dance partner & wriggling sensuously to the music, the Teragen telepath appears to be enjoying the evening immensely ::biggrin .

\"I'm not... at least I don't think I am... Ever since Derek injected me with the virus, I've been having these grim visions. The first was vivid but I thought I was hallucinating, the second when I was dreaming, and now this... I'm starting to think they're not dreams, they're all pretty scary...\"

- \"What kind of visions? And did Pathfinder say anything more to you about it than to the rest of us?\"

\"Hey there, what did I miss? I think my ears may have been burning there, but I didn't catch anything other than my name.....\"

Smiling at Derek, Nate grins and says "Sorry to disappoint you, pal, but I don't think we've given you a second thought.... Which I think is good for you considering the circumstances. ::confused Looks like you're gonna have to do some smooth talking, by the way. Since I work for MI, Pathfinder doesn't want to show me to the facility where Natalia is. If you're better at talking than me, you might get in. You see: She says Natalia is some kind of suppressed nova, and that she took her to these 'Harvesters' to help her find out more about it."

Backing into her dance partner & wriggling sensuously to the music, the Teragen telepath appears to be enjoying the evening immensely.

As she presses up against him, The Stranger can't help but admire how attractive Pathfinder is...during the next few minutes however, his thoughts drift to another beautiful Nova he's met recently. Suddenly realizing that Pathfinder can of course read his thoughts, he coughs in embarrasment ::blush , breaking away from her gently. "I'm sorry, but I seem to have lost my appetite for dancing. Shall we rejoin the group?"

The Stranger has no problems picking up PathFinder's thoughts,

*Typical man! ::angry *

But she smiles as she thinks it ::smile , & instead says,

"Sure."

She glances up at the group again, then shrugs,

"Of course, they may want to 'talk in private', but I'm hoping that at least one of them is smart enough to realise I can hear them from here..." ::rolleyes

She glances back at The Stranger,

"You're a different matter, naturally. Want to know what they really think about you?" ::devil ::sly

"Well", begins PathFinder, as they head upstairs, "Nate thinks you're mad for not revealing your identity to him, & probably therefore untrustworthy. If only you get to go to the Harvesters it won't convince him at all - for all he knows you're 'one of us', after all. It's ironic really, seeing as he's the criminal of the group..."

"Derek is all abuzz about saving the people infected by Virus & on a bit of a high because of it. He's also closer to madness than even Glacier - I could twist him into whatever I wanted with just a few thoughts, his mind's that fragile. He's not really given you a lot of thought yet."

"Will has other problems right now - he keeps seeing things & doesn't know if he's going mad or not. Only hours ago he was happy to be a big kid playing Nova, & now he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders - he's especially guilty over 'losing' Natalia, since she was only outside in the first palce so that the two of them could sneakily 'make out' without her grandfather knowing about it. As for you, he doesn't really care who you are if you can help get the girl back."

PathFinder stops & looks both thoughtful & serious,

"Honestly? It's hard for you to understand my viewpoint. When I erupted my life changed completely. I don't just mean because I was a Nova; I was suddenly able to perceive the world for the first time, as if I'd been blind & could only just then see. That's not a good metaphor really but, as I said, it's hard to understand for those who can't 'sense' what I can."

She pauses & a small frown creases her perfect brow,

"I sense everything - the whole of creation - on a level that defies mortal description. That's how I perceive things all the time. Naturally I don't yet grasp it all, but what little I do understand has shown me that what we see as reality, how we live our lives... it's all bullshit. So-called 'social interactions' are built on lies &... & the rest of the world isn't much better..."

She looks up at The Stranger,

"Look, sorry - I said it was hard to explain."

She smiles weakly ::smile ,

"So - what do I think of you? At least you're honest about your secrets, you seek the truth - albeit on a petty level, & you seem to know the path you've chosen to take - at least for a while. I guess I think you're not bad, all things considered..."

Smiling at Derek, Nate grins and says \"Sorry to disappoint you, pal, but I don't think we've given you a second thought.... Which I think is good for you considering the circumstances.  Looks like you're gonna have to do some smooth talking, by the way. Since I work for MI, Pathfinder doesn't want to show me to the facility where Natalia is. If you're better at talking than me, you might get in. You see: She says Natalia is some kind of suppressed nova, and that she took her to these 'Harvesters' to help her find out more about it.\"

"Hmmmm... Well, I am an employee of MI too, and I'm not really all that good at lying, but I'll see what I can do.

"To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of research they've got going there too!" ::biggrin

Listening to her, The Stranger feels an odd kinship swell inside. Not friendship by any means, but a small bit of understanding, and a feeling of commonality. When he speaks, his face is masked, but his thoughts are not. Soft and compassionate, he speaks to her in his mind.

*I sense the truth and the bitterness in your words. I won't presume to say I understand how you feel, I know that I can't. Being able to 'sense' things the way you do...I can't begin to comprehend what that's like.*

He steps closer to her, looking down and directly into her eyes. His own are filled with a whirl of emotions.

*I am honest about my secrets because I have to be. I can't function any other way. I know it must be difficult for you to trust others, especially since they can't hide their true selves from you... * Here he pauses, and a roaring, vengeful fury at his brother's death bursts in his subconcious. Unaware of the fleeting memory, he continues.

*I chose to be honest with you and the Count. That decision was influenced by my knowledge of your abilities, but the bigger reason was because you treated me with respect and honesty of your own. I don't agree with many of the Teragen's actions, but I try to accept people, all people as individuals. Perhaps that is one way I 'seek truth', as you put it."

Suddenly smiling, he speaks aloud. " 'Not bad, all thing considered'? I'll take that as a compliment. Hopefully, I'm at least a good dancer."

- \"What kind of visions?\"[/QUOTE]

Taking in a deep breath before he speaks \"Forboding ones, like the one just now, if it's true...\"Will shakes his head \"then our friend the Count is going to have an unwelcome visit by an angry Divis Mal... Since I didn't see what happened 'next', I can only assume Mal kills him... I mean he already burnt his hands off for sh!ts sake!\" Will stops to catch his breath again, he looks straight into Nate's flaming eyes \"...It was as if Mal could see me, he stared straight into my eyes and said 'Who dares disturb the privacy of Mal?'. I don't know what t make of all this, guys!\"

"She said that the Harvesters could do anything they wanted with Nat..." ::confused Will's looking drained again, it's just too much stuff for him to take in all at once, he sits back and closes his eyes for a few moments ::closedeyes .

PathFinder appears to take in The Stranger's words - spoken & otherwise, but quickly smiles again as her (ex-)dance partner says,

\" 'Not bad, all thing considered'? I'll take that as a compliment. Hopefully, I'm at least a good dancer.\"

"Passable." ::wink

With that the couple return to the upstairs table where the rest of the group are seated.

"Hello Interface," says PathFinder as they arrive. She then runs the back of her hand gently down the side of his face, & adds, "Nice skin - smooth." ::cool

Sitting, she throws another casual comment Derek's way,

"How's the project to 'neuter' Novas going? Given Masters the keys to our destruction yet?" ::sly

Unsurprised to see Derek there, The Stranger greets him. "Hello, Derek. Glad you could make it. While we wait for the Count to return, perhaps you could allay your companions fears? For some reason, they have a hard time trusting the masked guy. ::rolleyes "

\"Hello Interface,\" says PathFinder as they arrive. She then runs the back of her hand gently down the side of his face, & adds, \"Nice skin - smooth.\"

::blush

\"Um..... Thanks!\" ::smiley10

\"How's the project to 'neuter' Novas going? Given Masters the keys to our destruction yet?\"

Derek's blush of embarrassment turns to an angered flush (though it's kinda difficult to spot, given the blue skin):

::angry

"Excuse me? I am involved in no such project to 'neuter' Novas. Nor will I ever."

Taking a moment to calm himself.

"......."

"However, I am involved in a project that utilises technology to temporarily dampen the powers of the Nova that wears it. It occured to me after experiencing Nullifier shut down my ability to fabricate things prior to combating Nefertiti. So, to put it simply (and accurately) I am attempting to create technology that can duplicate, or at least mimick, the abilities of some Novas.

"Clear? Or shall I explain it more slowly?" ::angry ::angry

For some reason, they have a hard time trusting the masked guy. 

Turning to The Stranger.

"Ah, yes. Sorry about that. Meant to speak to the guys before you left, but I got kinda caught up in keeping people alive." Glares at Pathfinder.

To the guys

"As far as I'm concerned, we can trust The Stranger. Anything more than that, I can't share I'm afraid."

Listening in silence to Will's explanations Nathan afterwards nods and says "I have no idea what this means either. But we'll figure it out somehow. Let's just make sure those farmers don't do anything to Natalia that she don't want them to, ok? If they'll let you come along, that is. I seem to have blown my chances on it, but people like her really provoke me...." ::angry

Unsurprised to see Derek there, The Stranger greets him. \"Hello, Derek. Glad you could make it. While we wait for the Count to return, perhaps you could allay your companions fears? For some reason, they have a hard time trusting the masked guy.  ::rolleyes \"

He nods at them when the Stranger and Pathfinder return, but Nathan sighs at the Stranger's comment. Looking slightly frustrated, he says "Look, man. I told you I trust the guy I met earlier today as much as anyone. There's just no way you can prove you're the same guy... ::confused I respect your privacy completely, and I think you know that." Looking honestly frustrated with being misunderstood he slumps back in his seat and shuts up. At least until Derek mentions Nullifier.

- "Hey! How is Nullifier doing? I haven't seen him since the fight..."

The Stranger looks at Derek, then at Pathfinder. \"Who's Nullifier?\"

Derek grimaces at the memory.

"An idiot. In short, responsible for the debacle that resulted in large scale damage to an area of New York, including the deaths of several baselines, and several injuries."

If there appears to be interest (from the Stranger, at least) Derek recounts the 'long version', drawing emphasis on the description of Nullifier (focusing on body height/weight, in addition to speech (accent, and speech pattern) as he wore full-body EUfibre), and powers:

Nullifier appeared to be bald, with jet black eyes, and covered from head to toe in jet black eufiber

He was on an errand, delivering a donation for orphans.

He expressed Anti-baseline sentiment, and pro-teragen opinions, though showed concern for baselines repeatedly. Tried to get Nefertit to refrain from toasting baselines in a helicopter.

Can create a shimmering, sparkling , a gravitic barrier, impereamble to gas, used it to protect several baselines.

Created a localised gravity distortion, akin to an Einstein - Rosenberg bridge (aka a wormhole). A hole in space from downstairs, to 86th floor.

He burst into orange & yellow tinged white flame, the fire blazed from his eyes & mouth, & danced across his body, but he appeared unhurt.

Nulifier cut off Derek's energy buildup, which he has stated has an effective range of about 60 metres.

Referred to Nefertiti as Aten, seemed to understand what she said. She was speaking in Egyptian, or Arabic, or some such. Derek isn't too clear on that.

Can draw power from other Novas via touch. Was also able to extend some tentacle thing with which he did the same.

Has high level of control over his EU-Fibre, or else his skin is naturally shapable. Has created wings, and spines, and shaped himself into a variety of forms.

Took a significant pounding from Nefertiti, was eventually rendered unconcious.

After listening to Derek's description of Nullifier, The Stranger nods thoughtfully.

"So, by all accounts, a very dangerous individual. Your description seems to match up with that of the unknown Nova that popped up in Fabry's dining room. As for being a turncoat, if Pathfinder is unwilling to tell us what prompted that opinion, perhaps Count Orzaiz will."

\"... As for being a turncoat, if Pathfinder is unwilling to tell us what prompted that opinion, perhaps Count Orzaiz will.\"

"I thought that was self-explainatory", says PathFinder, "you heard Interface's comments about the guy - let's just say he's been about as 'helpful' as that to us as well. He seems to think more about his own safety & goals than he does about his team-mates. As far as I'm concerned we're better off without the guy - but the Count seems to think otherwise. That's what we were discussing before you guys turned up, in fact - Orzaiz thinks I've been too harsh in my assessment of Nullifier. Maybe it's just me, but if a guy bails in the middle of a combat he could have helped stop without bloodshed, then he's not a guy I want on my team."

She shrugs,

"He's also obsessed with keeping secrets - which seems pointless to me, unless he's planning on turning against his Nova kin & 'stealing' all their powers. The guy's a parasite."

She smiles ::sly ,

"Just my opinion, mind."

The guy's a parasite.

Derek looks genuinely surprised.

\"Pathfinder..... Who'da thunk??? We actually agree on something!\"

\"I don't suppose you saw Glacier on your way in?

"The walking disaster? Nope, didn't see him."

PathFinder laughs ::laugh ,

"Glacier & Eel wouldn't want to be disturbed right now..." ::wink

A moment later one of the carbon-copy waitresses arrives at the table,

"Hi guys!", she exclaims with a bubbley smile ::biggrin , "Raoul... ::blush er... 'The Count' asked if you could join him at his private booth, said he was done with his 'phone calls. If you're ready, just follow me."

With that she glides off on her 'blades, towards the stairs (which she manages to hop down rather deftly in the rollerblades), then meanders through the dancing crowd to a shadowed booth behind the line of pillars that hold up the club's upper level. With a flourish that'd do any magician's assistant proud she presents the Count, sitting in the shadows with his back to the wall. As the group approaches, he stands, gesturing for them all to be seated, then sits again himself. After ordering another round of 'Wells, he begins,

"I've talked with a representative of The Harvesters. It appears that they'd consider allowing you to visit, or otherwise meet with, the girl - in exchange for some information. The information they're interested in is private property of Masters International.", he raises an eyebrow ::sly & leans forward over the booth's table, "Should I continue? Or do work-ethics prevent you all from agreeing to such an exchange?"

\"I've talked with a representative of The Harvesters. It appears that they'd consider allowing you to visit, or otherwise meet with, the girl - in exchange for some information. The information they're interested in is private property of Masters International.\", he raises an eyebrow  & leans forward over the booth's table, \"Should I continue? Or do work-ethics prevent you all from agreeing to such an exchange?\"

Looking slightly suspicious, Nathan asks "What kind of information are we talking about, exactly...?"

Orzaiz shakes his head,

"I don't think you understand, gentlemen. This information is of the type that Masters wouldn't want anyone getting their hands on. If you ask him about it, there's very little chance you'd ever be able to access it. Hence my point about work-ethics - you'll have to decide between seeing Natalia, & your loyalty to her grandfather."

- "What are we playing here, count? Twenty questions? This is like you asking me to agree to a favor without telling me what it is. I stopped doing that when I was a kid. Do you know what information they want? And if you do, will you tell me? Nice to know what I agree to..."

Archived